Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda going door to door for expired nct

Options
  • 04-08-2016 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Two Garda knocked on the door this evening enquiring about a car that's out of nct. They were very nice and there were no issues (car not used in a while). They had a long list with them to get through. Just wondering if this is a common occurrence or just around us (dunshaughlin).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

sept09baby wrote: »
    Two Garda knocked on the door this evening enquiring about a car that's out of nct. They were very nice and there were no issues (car not used in a while). They had a long list with them to get through. Just wondering if this is a common occurrence or just around us (dunshaughlin).

Are you sure they were Gardai? I wonder if they were had somebody reported it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Never heard of this before. Was it parked in a public place or on your private property?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

Very strange.interesting yarn

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I smell a scam.

They don't knock on doors because your driving licence has expired, this is highly suspect. And in Ireland and most other countries, they don't send two cops to your house unless they intend knocking your front door down.

if this was a 'routine' enquiry, it would be one Garda, probably someone coming back off sickness after an injury acquired while on duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

In uniform or plain clothes??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd ring your local Garda station and ask them if they are carrying such activity. It could be genuine or it could easily be an attempt by criminals at inviting their way into rob a house especially if elderly neighbours live alone, I'm sure they would be very keen in knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Surprisingly in Ireland, parking a vehicle in public place without valid NCT is an offence, so there is a chance they were really patrolling that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can they not do an address lookup from the reg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

CiniO wrote: »
    Surprisingly in Ireland, parking a vehicle in public place without valid NCT is an offence, so there is a chance they were really patrolling that.

Just read a news article today saying garda have prosecuted 600,000 motorist and solve zero gang land killings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

visual wrote: »
    Just read a news article today saying garda have prosecuted 600,000 motorist and solve zero gang land killings.

There's a big difference between prosecuting for relatively minor motor offences and cold blooded killers. Ask any Garda off the record and they'll tell you who committed any offence, from burglary to murder, getting evidence for a prosecution is a completely different matter. Not helped by the incestuous relationship between criminals and solicitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Surprisingly in Ireland, and other countries, some of those vehicles are being driven on regular basis.

By some I mean most, and it doesn't take a lot of resources to determine which car is genuinely off the road for some time...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

wonski wrote: »
    Surprisingly in Ireland, and other countries, some of those vehicles are being driven on regular basis.

By some I mean most, and it doesn't take a lot of resources to determine which car is genuinely off the road for some time...

What I meant was that probably there's no other country than Ireland, which would make it illegal to park a vehicle with no valid test (like NCT) in public place.

Surely drivers vehicles with no test, which are being driven, should be prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

What I meant was that probably there's no other country than Ireland, which would make it illegal to park a vehicle with no valid test (like NCT) in public place.

Surely drivers vehicles with no test, which are being driven, should be prosecuted.

No, I know for a fact that any vehicle without a valid inspection sticker can be impounded in certain parts of the US. They don't insist on doing it very much, but I have known it to be done. I had a friend in temporary financial embarrassment who left his car in his designated parking space at his apartment complex (without driving it) for a couple months while it was out of inspection, and it was eventually towed; he couldn't believe it was legal to do, given that it was his personal space that he paid for, but the police said he had no recourse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Why make that distinction when the goal is revenue collection. It might be 1809 euro per year motor tax old car that been priced off the road so the more affluent can have cheaper tax on there new diesel bmw.

Serious crime not taxing your 10 year old big engine car. Bigger crime if you declared it off road as they know you have no intention of back taxing it.

Common sense never comes into it

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

Up to 40% of the second hand cars on the road should be not on the road at al, because are not fit for purpose. including these wich passed NCT, or being writte offs in Ireland and in abroad and repaired or imported. Heard a new legislation will come this year to fix that problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

al22 wrote: »
    Up to 40% of the second hand cars on the road should be not on the road at al, because are not fit for purpose. including these wich passed NCT, or being writte offs in Ireland and in abroad and repaired or imported. Heard a new legislation will come this year to fix that problem.

40% of second hand cars you say? That's quite the number!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Two people knocked, with a long list.

Is there an election coming up?

Yeah, but no.

Or, some scam...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

They were in uniform. The car isn't at the house. It belongs to my brother who is in Canada and is parked up in a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭dodzy

You really should have shut your eyes at 4:22am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

They were in uniform. The car isn't at the house. It belongs to my brother who is in Canada and is parked up in a garage.

Odd though it seems, maybe the Gards are actually checking cars for a change. It's parked up, but is it declared off the road (SORD) or taxed.

I'd be concerned that the car has been cloned and the clone has been spotted on the road with no NCT.

How did it end up? were they satisfied or did they say they'd be in touch?

• Advertisement

Odd though it seems, maybe the Gards are actually checking cars for a change. It's parked up, but is it declared off the road (SORD) or taxed.

I'd be concerned that the car has been cloned and the clone has been spotted on the road with no NCT.

How did it end up? were they satisfied or did they say they'd be in touch?

Or did OP check that the car is still where he thought it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

When parked or driven a vehicle is using the public road so it needs to be road legal that means tax, NCT and insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Del2005 wrote: »
    When parked or driven a vehicle is using the public road so it needs to be road legal that means tax, NCT and insurance.

You're perfectly entitled to have a vehicle without tax, insurance and NCT in your drive way. Its private property. Parked on the road or curb is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

What a bizarre thing, interesting to hear all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Britain, America, New Zealand to name but a few.

I've named different parts of the world lest I be accused of just saying this is a European thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Ludicrous.
    So everyone should buy a new car every three or four years?
    It's not like we have a native manufacturer that needs protecting by such a scenario.
    Of course, if VRT were phased out over a four or five year period, the national stock would soon become younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Up to 80% of your posts should be reported as nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Up to 80% of your posts should be reported as nonsense.

I too like making up stats

95% of all statistics are made up. Sorry, UP TO 95%

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Just explained the situation to them and they were fine. No issues there. Just thought it was unusual. Never heard of anything like it before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Just explained the situation to them and they were fine. No issues there. Just thought it was unusual. Never heard of anything like it before

Never heard of this before.
    I'm ultra curious, what exactly did they ask you regarding the car?

Advertisement