Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky sports mix

Options
  • 03-08-2016 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

Launching in a fortnight or so, will there be anything worthwhile watching? Praying for f1 now setanta was pulled from virgin

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its more of a promotional channel for encouraging Sky Sports subscriptions, it will show bits of everything but you won't be able to follow any particular sport with it, a bit like BT Showcase that was on Freeview. They may show one or 2 F1 races to lure people towards Sky Sports F1 which shows them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It'll be showing repeats of Premiership Years all day I'd say.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Gonzo has got it spot on.

Seemingly, the first few days only live action is the first two rounds of the Made in Denmark golf and a cricket ODI.

They have committed to show the British Grand Prix and two other "prime time" races on the channel. (I'm not sure the "prime time" comment should be read literally to mean the US and Canadian GPs though).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

icdg wrote: »
    Gonzo has got it spot on.

Seemingly, the first few days only live action is the first two rounds of the Made in Denmark golf and a cricket ODI.

They have committed to show the British Grand Prix and two other "prime time" races on the channel. (I'm not sure the "prime time" comment should be read literally to mean the US and Canadian GPs though).

Not much of a benefit then really, as I believe the British grand prix will be live on c4 anyway. Really big loss for me I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

Not much of a benefit then really, as I believe the British grand prix will be live on c4 anyway. Really big loss for me I'm afraid

the next F1 deal for the UK is exclusively on Sky, no Channel 4. I doubt Eir will even have the rights beyond 2018. So whatever they do show on Sky Sports Mix will have a much wider reach. It wouldn't surprise me if they use it as the stick to bait UEFA with for getting back the Champions League.

• Advertisement

Eir won't, they've renewed their rights but only up until the start of Sky's exclusive deal in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Pretty incredible Sky Sports Mix will be available on 105 via Virgin media. I wonder will it also be on 400.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Pretty incredible Sky Sports Mix will be available on 105 via Virgin media. I wonder will it also be on 400.
    I can't believe that channel placement. Honestly moving RTE News Now to 105 would be a better option than what will be a promotional channel for Sky Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Delta2113 wrote: »

Really surprised by this news too. Surely 3e could have been moved to 105, as it's 5 on Saorview and 105 on Sky. Also they could move UTV Ireland to 106 (6 on Saorview)

Even Sky will have Sky Sports Mix in the Sports genre in the 400's

With the 6 SD and 6 HD channels being removed along with the BT Extra channels, Virgin Media's Sports genre will have loads of gaps in the EPG and it's a complete mess IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Really this is where the BAI should step in. but sure ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭StreetLight

No mention of it appearing on analogue. Could be a perfect excuse for VM to start an 'Analogue Switch-Off' of their own.

The 105 thing is absolutely bizzare. To give a UK sports channel, even a basic cable one,
    priority over all but the old four analogue terrestrial services - even Virgin Media owned 3e and soon to be owned UTV Ireland - is crazy. The only reason I can think of is as a sob to those up in anger over the loss of Eir Sport 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,469 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd say saturday 3pm games, one La Liga game a month and a Chinese game per month, remainder wall to wall repeats and rubbish.

The Saturday 3pm games are going on Sky Sports 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I think that some Virgin Media Customers are under the impression that the 3pm games will be shown on Sky Sports Mix which isnt the case.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057633080

I presume Virgin show the Irish version of Sky Sports 5.

I'm not sure where that impression came from. Not once did Sky say it. Some people appear to have speculated on it and suddenly it became gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The Virgin Media rep on that thread hasn't a clue what he's on about. It's no wonder their customers are confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

any truth in the rumour Sky Sports 5 will be in HD only?

Sky Sports 5 is HD and SD. Sky Sports Mix will also be HD and SD.

The Saturday 3pm games are going on Sky Sports 5.

When is their first 3pm fixture as a matter of interest?. Don't see anything for August or September in their tv fixtures page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

When is their first 3pm fixture as a matter of interest?. Don't see anything for August or September in their tv fixtures page.

tomorrow, Everton v Spurs.
    20 August: Burnley v Liverpool
    27 August: Watford v Arsenal
    10 September: Stoke City v Tottenham
    17 September: Hull City v Arsenal
    24 September: Swansea v Manchester City

An Tarbh wrote: »
    tomorrow, Everton v Spurs.
    20 August: Burnley v Liverpool
    27 August: Watford v Arsenal
    10 September: Stoke City v Tottenham
    17 September: Hull City v Arsenal
    24 September: Swansea v Manchester City

Cheers. Sky Sports own fixtures page doesn't list it.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/football-on-sky

You have to go into the full Sky guide (RoI version) to see tomorrows game listed on SS 5.

http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide#/day/1

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Sky trying to keep these games very low key I would imagine to avoid complaints from UK customers as to why they cannot watch them, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Any idea what will be on this channel when it launches?

Surprised it didn't try to launch today, and maybe have a match on with the launch of the new season on FPL. Although, doubt there be many, if any, FPL games.

Reportedly Virgin Media viewers did not get today's 3pm fixture on Sky Sports 5 HD, though the SD feed was okay. Doesn't seem to have been an issue on Sky Digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Reportedly Virgin Media viewers did not get today's 3pm fixture on Sky Sports 5 HD, though the SD feed was okay. Doesn't seem to have been an issue on Sky Digital.

- They have promised to have them in future in HD, Guess someone will have to change the source for Sky Sports 5 HD in Virgin Media.

They can never do things right the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/08/sky-sports-mix-launches-24-august-2016.html

Even Virgin in the UK is putting Sky Sports Mix in the Sports genre

Why Virgin over here can't put SS1-5 on 401-405 and SSM on 407

Very strange it will be on 105

They are saying its a replacement for Eir Sport 1 which is rather stupid as it will only be showing bits of events, ie. a few days of a golf tournament and then you need to pay for Sky Sports to watch the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Yep doesn't really make sense really. Having Setanta Sports Ireland there was ok, as it was an Irish channel.

But having a British sports channel there ahead of Virgin's soon-to-be-own UTV Ireland along with +1 of TV3 and other bigger channels doesn't make sense at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Looks to me that they're putting it in on 105 to keep up the idea that it's an equivalent for Setanta Ireland.. Also it's in the basic pack channel range rather than the premium range

In short, marketing over what makes sense

Advertisement