Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Loads of parking spaces & parking right next to a parked car - why?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Because they are stupid cretins with not much between their ears

100% correct...they are all potential morons as I've learned and I will go to any lengths to park my showroom condition car as far away from them as I deem necessary to keep it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

If I can , I park at the very end of the row, hard up against the kerb at the side of me , giving vital extra inches on the other side. I always go for the middle of a row of empty spaces otherwise and at the quieter end of the car park.

avoid pension day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Omg this is my biggest bugbear. Its not even the potential dinging aspect of it that annoys me..... its just the mentality of it ..... like choosing a table right beside someone else in an empty cafe. One day I pulled up in a supermarket carpark just to make a call.... parked in the middle of nowhere ..... a few minutes later this car pulls in beside me on driver side. Tight as u like. Out gets the driver and off to shop he goes. The passenger shimmies out and literally stands with her back to her door facing me having a fag. Wtf like????

I will never understand people who do this. I mentioned it before either on here, or another forum, to be told that 'it's safer'. Oh feck off. You have a whole line of spaces to choose from, but no, you must nestle in cosily beside my car, all the better to dent and scrape it.
    And yes, I have had the experience of returning to my car to find another car across the line, they are so anxious to be near another. Meanwhile there could be twenty empty spaces in the same row.

I admit I do like, (and it has happened a couple of times lately), when someone is just parking and I am approaching my car to leave the car park. I wonder do they have to immediately move so their car won't be lonesome. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

dudara wrote: »
    Herd mentality, people like to cluster.

Presume it's the same logic why waiters put you next to an occupied table in a restaurant even though all the other tables are free

I hate that, no I don't want to be be seated right beside the table with the 75 little darlings running amuck and dropping knives and forks all around the place. I'd like the table in the empty part of the place where I can relax and have a chat without have to shout over other loud people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

BronsonTB wrote: »

I often try park beside a well looked after car, a lot less chance they will open their door carelessly compared to a banger.

I must admit, I tend to this. Myself, an R8 and an RS4 had quite the car cuddle in Dundrum one day :pac:

Otherwise I literally park a marathon walk away from the door, and include a gentle incline in the walk if I can. Discourages all but the most persistent knuckle draggers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I always try to find a space at the end of a row, so it does not matter if you go over the line a bit.

Also, will drive around till I get a longway space, that no one can park beside. Have been known to leave a shopping centre if the spaces look like someone will whack the car.

Have managed to escape unscathed for the past 3 or 4 years and been lucky with my car!

New car tomorrow so hope this one is as lucky as the last ones have been!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

mikeecho wrote: »

I leave a parking space between me and the staff car, but park a little over the white line, so noone can squeze in between me and the staff car, and it leaves lots of room on the other side for any potential door dinger
    Shint0 wrote: »
    If you have a valuable car parking slightly over the line is far better than relying on the goodwill of others to not cause damage to your car. Too big a risk.
    empty car park - across 2 spaces down the back, even better is at a 45 degree angle so people won't use you as a guide to park their car.
    Sense of entitlement alive and well in society.

Amazing how you think it's fine to park both incorrectly and inconsiderately. If everyone decided to do the same the system simply would not work. If you're afraid of parking your car inside the white lines then there are a few easy solutions; walk, run, cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

ISTM that to any right minded person there should be an unwritten rule to not park in the space immediately adjacent to another parked car if you have a choice. Much like in a row of five urinals. If they're all free you use either end one. The second bloke parks himself at the other end. The third bloke uses the middle one. Only at that stage does the fourth man have no choice than to park himself next to another user.

A man approaching an almost empty row of urinals and installing himself right next to another fella will probably be met with a suspicious look and the previous occupant making a quick exit.

shaunr68 wrote: »
    ISTM that to any right minded person there should be an unwritten rule to not park in the space immediately adjacent to another parked car if you have a choice. Much like in a row of five urinals. If they're all free you use either end one. The second bloke parks himself at the other end. The third bloke uses the middle one. Only at that stage does the fourth man have no choice than to park himself next to another user.

A man approaching an almost empty row of urinals and installing himself right next to another fella will probably be met with a suspicious look and the previous occupant making a quick exit.
    That's fine.

But what some people here are advocating is akin to standing in between two urinals and pissing into both of them. Society doesn't work like that. Only self entitled people do. And fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Shint0 wrote: »
    It's the design of some of the car parks. Some spaces are simply too narrow if you have a larger car yet some of the car park operators have signs saying you will be charged if you occupy two spaces but without making adequate provision for larger cars. In the Jervis car park they do have some designated spaces marked for saloons. I haven't seen it anywhere else and there's nothing prohibiting other cars from parking there but it is a good idea. If you have a valuable car parking slightly over the line is far better than relying on the goodwill of others to not cause damage to your car. Too big a risk.

Jervis spaces are marked for saloon becasue of roof clearence, (a hatch would potentially hit the roof when u swing it open) nothing to do with bigger cars

way worse risk as you will have people like me squeezing in to park... and a lot of other people would have no issues with banging their door of yours...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I love it when I can get a space between two pillars or columns. No parking near me, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

neris wrote: »
    Why the heck do people go into practically empty car parks and insist on parking in the space right next to a parked car when all around are empty spaces. I was parked up earlier today in a large car park of a supermarket, the area I was in was practically empty, loads of spaces around me but within a few minutes I had a car parked both sides of me. Went into shops came out few minutes later and car on drivers side had gone. Grand. Back in the car on the phone and then another car decides he,s pulling into the space right beside my drivers door (car parks still practically empty loads of other spaces he could have gone to) next thing his passenger door opens and Bang. The aul one who got out is about to toddle off and I got out the car only to be told "its ok the wind blew it". No "sorry about that" or "is your car ok".
    Loneliness

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

That's fine.

But what some people here are advocating is akin to standing in between two urinals and pissing into both of them. Society doesn't work like that. Only self entitled people do. And fools.

If youll notice, i specified empty carpark only, if you can figure out another way to guarantee somebody will not park beside me then I will gladly stop using 2 spaces.

This entire thread is about the problem.

Also a better analogy would be that if you use one urinal somebody is going to come along and stab you in the thigh , if you use 2 they think your mental and leave you alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Sense of entitlement alive and well in society.

Amazing how you think it's fine to park both incorrectly and inconsiderately. If everyone decided to do the same the system simply would not work. If you're afraid of parking your car inside the white lines then there are a few easy solutions; walk, run, cycle.

I don't see it as taking up two spaces, to me it's two cars sharing 3spaces., or 3 cars sharing 5 spaces.
    But if spaces were made big enough like in U.S., we wouldn't have any problems.

That's fine.

Big Wall length urinals... plenty of elbow room to operate big equipment ;)

If youll notice, i specified empty carpark only, if you can figure out another way to guarantee somebody will not park beside me then I will gladly stop using 2 spaces.

This entire thread is about the problem.

Also a better analogy would be that if you use one urinal somebody is going to come along and stab you in the thigh , if you use 2 they think your mental and leave you alone.
    I did notice that. But it is entirely irrelevant. You are still parking incorrectly, and potentially inconsiderately. And the same scenario applies whereby if everyone decided they were entitled to park that way, the system would simply not work. It's entitlement, pure and simple.

That's not a better analogy at all. That's irrational behavior and paranoid thinking. And of course incorrect use of the system once again for your own personal benefit. Entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I did notice that. But it is entirely irrelevant. You are still parking incorrectly, and potentially inconsiderately. And the same scenario applies whereby if everyone decided they were entitled to park that way, the system would simply not work. It's entitlement, pure and simple.

That's not a better analogy at all. That's irrational behavior and paranoid thinking. And of course incorrect use of the system once again for your own personal benefit. Entitlement.

Well I see lots of other people who act "entitled" when it comes to their own interests.Have you ever been annoyed with cyclists taking over the whole road,people letting their beloved doggies poop all over the place,people letting their kids run wild while the rest of us control ours etc...some of us love our cars and we will look after them as best we can..each to their own.

Well, as in my previous post, give me a better solution to not having my doors destroyed and ill gladly stop parking like a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Well, as in my previous post, give me a better solution to not having my doors destroyed and ill gladly stop parking like a dick.

Just a point. Parking like that invites people to try and squeeze up into the space to 'teach you a lesson'.

Just a point. Parking like that invites people to try and squeeze up into the space to 'teach you a lesson'.

The way I do it, would mean that you would also be parking across two spaces.

Two wrongs making a right....

Unless you're driving a peel p50, in which case I would just pick your car up and put it in a bush. :D

• Advertisement

hence the 45 degree angle, gets you left alone usually.

hence the 45 degree angle, gets you left alone usually.

Have you ever tried parking right in the middle of 4 spaces.... very satisfying.. mmmmmm

I don't agree with the 45° parking.. I think 50 to 60° is better, it looks more like compete abandonment, and it's easier to straighten up and drive out.

mikeecho wrote: »
    Have you ever tried parking right in the middle of 4 spaces.... very satisfying.. mmmmmm

I don't agree with the 45° parking.. I think 50 to 60° is better, it looks more like compete abandonment, and it's easier to straighten up and drive out.

The range rover can take 6 spaces in the right carpark.

The range rover can take 6 spaces in the right carpark.

I'm talking about parent and child spaces ;)

(The op should have this moved to AH)

Colser wrote: »
    Well I see lots of other people who act "entitled" when it comes to their own interests.Have you ever been annoyed with cyclists taking over the whole road,people letting their beloved doggies poop all over the place,people letting their kids run wild while the rest of us control ours etc...some of us love our cars and we will look after them as best we can..each to their own.
    Since when has two wrongs made a right? Also, what we are discussing here is knowing and willful disregard for the system. Those other examples could potentially at least be explained in some way by ignorance. This is simply a case of entitlement and thickness.

I really resent that argument too about loving your car, or valuing your car. I love my car too. My parents love their cars. So do most of my friends. None of them however are so entitled or full of such self importance that they think it is ok for them to park the way others have claimed to park here. They simply would not do it, even if the thought or temptation of doing so crossed their mind. In the grand scheme of things it's a small thing we are discussing, but the motivations behind it are not that small, and as already said, there is nothing stopping everyone taking that attitude except consideration for others, respect for the system and a lack of the extreme entitlement that is on exhibit here.
    A better solution is selling your car for something that you can drive and park correctly without fear or paranoia. Another solution would be to park correctly like most people and accept the risks associated with owning a car. As already said, you could walk, run or cycle. Learn to drive a motorbike and you would fit well inside a parking space. So many solutions to this problem.

Since when has two wrongs made a right? Also, what we are discussing here is knowing and willful disregard for the system. Those other examples could potentially at least be explained in some way by ignorance. This is simply a case of entitlement and thickness.

I really resent that argument too about loving your car, or valuing your car. I love my car too. My parents love their cars. So do most of my friends. None of them however are so entitled or full of such self importance that they think it is ok for them to park the way others have claimed to park here. They simply would not do it, even if the thought or temptation of doing so crossed their mind. In the grand scheme of things it's a small thing we are discussing, but the motivations behind it are not that small, and as already said, there is nothing stopping everyone taking that attitude except consideration for others, respect for the system and a lack of the extreme entitlement that is on exhibit here.

A better solution is selling your car for something that you can drive and park correctly without fear or paranoia. Another solution would be to park correctly like most people and accept the risks associated with owning a car. As already said, you could walk, run or cycle. Learn to drive a motorbike and you would fit well inside a parking space. So many solutions to this problem.

Im not going to drive a shítbox because other people are idiots. All of your solutions seem to be "just accept that people swing doors open on cars" . Thats not how things work.

Im not going to drive a shítbox because other people are idiots. All of your solutions seem to be "just accept that people swing doors open on cars" . Thats not how things work.
    No. Deliberately parking incorrectly and inconsiderately simply to benefit yourself is not how things work. You know that just as well as you know that parking across the white line is wrong.

Entitlement of the worst kind.

No. Deliberately parking incorrectly and inconsiderately simply to benefit yourself is not how things work. You know that just as well as you know that parking across the white line is wrong.

when the general motoring population of Ireland stops being inconsiderate , then so will I.

when the general motoring population of Ireland stops being inconsiderate , then so will I.

+ thanks
    + thanks
    + thanks
    + thanks
    Etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

In his original post, EC says he parks across two spaces, in an empty car park, down the back.

He then says he parks beside a looked after car out of the way if it is not so empty.

For some reason you have a problem with this? Makes perfect bloody sense to anyone who takes pride in their car and doesn't treat it like a wheely bin.

Advertisement