Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I really do this?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Wishing your Dad a speedy recovery J

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Wishing your father a speedy recovery.
    It's true that a little run, a bit of fresh air, can clear the head, help with your thoughts and well being.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Sorry to hear that GL, I hope he recovers soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Thanks for all the good wishes for my Dad. He is still in hospital but doing okay at the minute so things are not as stressful as last week.

Friday 26th May

Got out at 7.15 a.m. for this run and thought I was early enough to avoid the heat. I was wrong! It was sweltering out. Its a while since I was out so early in the morning for a run and my legs were not impressed. Took a while for them to wake up. Beautiful morning though and I enjoyed the run.

Distance: 5 km. Time 32.50.

Splits: 5.47, 5.59, 6.23, 6.39, 7.30.

Sunday 28th May

I really need to get some more runs, and especially long slow runs under my belt if I am going to be somewhat ready for the half marathon in August.

It was overcast as I headed out but the sun made an appearance and it got very warm. I had hoped to manage 14 or 15 km but it was a struggle so I headed for home early. Felt better for having made the effort anyway.

Distance: 12.5 km. Time: 1.27.45.

Splits: 6.37, 6.59, 7.19, 7.10, 7.16, 7.02, 6.59, 7.13, 7.11, 7.11, 6.41, 6.57, 6.48 (0.5).

My Dad is still in hospital, prognosis not good but we are dealing with it. I need to keep running to help with my mental state at the moment and hopefully manage to finish the half marathon in August although my goal time may need to be adjusted. Will see how things pan out in the next couple of months.

Wednesday, 31st May

Nice warm evening for this run but very windy. I am trying to increase the distance of my mid week runs over the next few weeks so was happy with this one. Very enjoyable.

Distance: 7.2 km. Time 45.20.

Splits: 5.47, 6.02, 6.24, 6.22, 6.33, 6.26, 6.26, 6.21 (0.2).

Saturday, 3rd June

I knew I would not get out for a lsr this weekend as I was walking the mini marathon on Monday. Decided to run for 7.5 km. Went out early in the morning and really enjoyed the run.

Distance: 8 km. Time 49.50.

Splits: 5.47, 5.57, 6.01, 6.08, 6.40, 6.13, 6.23, 6.44.

Monday 5th June

Mini Marathon Day! I walk this every year with my daughter and today was no exception. I was not in form mentally for the event and did not enjoy it as much as other years. That was to do with me though and not the event itself. We got it done and another bit of bling for the collection. Got absolutely soaked.

It was impossible to even walk fast in the walker section, there seemed to be a lot more "slow" walkers this year. We had hoped to walk it in 1 hour 30 minutes but no way could we manage it. I found it very hard to just walk and not start running. I wore my running runners forgetting that I cannot walk in them! As a result I am now sporting a massive blister on my heel, first time I ever had one. Lesson learned. Keep the running runners for running!

Distance: 10.4 km. Time: 1.37.

Splits: 9.16, 9.17, 9.22, 9.30, 10.00, 9.30, 10.12, 9.42, 9.03, 7.55, 7.58 (little jog at the end to make up time).

That's my yearly walk done, back to the running this evening.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear the prognosis is not good for you Dad. Run when you can and if you only manage to get some runs in over the next few weeks, try get the longer runs in. Running will help you clear the head and to keep things as grounded as possible.

More importantly mind yourself and try keep up with nutrition and sleep.

Its nearly a month since I last posted. What a month it has been. My father passed away on the 15th of June. While it was expected it was still a shock in the end. I guess you always hope for a last minute miracle.

His funeral was on the 17th of June. I had signed up for my local 10 km run on the 18th of June, ironically Father's Day and I decided to try and run it in memory of my Dad as he was my biggest supporter and loved hearing about my runs and seeing the bling. I know the route so well, have run it several times however on the day the mental toughness got to me and I hit a bit wall in the middle. I ended up walking/running the last few kms. It was a very warm morning too which did not help. It was a very emotional run for me but I manged to cross the finish line.

Distance: 10 km. Time: 1.09.50.

Splits: 5.50, 5.50, 6.13, 6.45, 7.39, 7.41, 7.24, 7.15, 7.34, 7.12.

My next run was on the 22nd of June. Not a great run either.

Distance: 5.5 km. Time: 34.40.

Splits: 5.48, 5.57, 6.11, 6.27, 7.05, 6.09.

I was away for a few days from the 23rd of June to the 28th of June. I did manage to get one 5km approx run in but was not connected to Strava.

Friday 30th June.

It was very windy for this one but I was happy enough with the pace.

Distance: 6 km. Time: 37.30.

Splits: 6.07, 5.52, 6.06, 6.28, 6.31, 6.30.

Now it is July and I have decided to give the Rock & Roll Half Marathon a shot as I am already signed up for it. Back on plan but as it is only six weeks away and I am way behind where I should be it might be a struggle on the day. At this stage once I finish it I will be happy.

Got out for LSR this morning. I decided to listen to some music on my phone. I don't usually have music on when I am running but the last few runs have been tough mentally so I wanted to stop thinking about things and hoped listening to some 80s classics would help! The music helped greatly and I even sang along to some of the songs. Delighted with this run, hopefully I can stay on track now. A lot of work to be done but fingers crossed.

Distance: 12.1 km. Time: 1.26.20

Splits: 6.52, 6.59, 7.00, 7.10, 6.57, 7.12, 7.07, 6.57, 7.22, 7.16, 7.20, 7.30, 7.19 (0.1).

Happy with the splits, I wanted to stay between 7 and 8 and managed to do so.

Here's to a good week of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pgarr

Sorry for your loss .

I don't know you and didn't know your dad - but I bet he would be so damn proud of you for getting that race in on the 18th. Respect and I wish you and your family all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Sorry to hear this sad news gypsylee. Keep on running.

Thanks for the support.

• Advertisement

Sorry for your loss Gypsylee. That took great strength and courage to run a race the day after his funeral, well done to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Very sorry for your loss. Fair play to you for doing the 10k, I'm sure your dad would be proud. Look after yourself.

Thanks Sunny Dayz and chickey 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sorry for your loss . I'm sure your dad was smiling down on you proudly on that run .

Take Care .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sorry for your loss gypsylee and well done on running the 10k in his memory, a beautiful tribute on Father's Day, i'm sure he'd be proud.

Sorry for your loss and it took great strength & courage to go and do the race. Mind yourself.

Back on the Half Marathon Plan

I am back following the HH Novice 1 Plan. My plan is to run the mid week runs between 6 and 6.30 per km and to run my weekend LSR between 7 and 8 per km. So far so good.

The plan called for 4. 5 mile run on Tuesday and Thursday (7.2 km) and both runs went well.

Tuesday 4th July

Evening Run

Distance: 7.2 km. Time: 45.50.

Splits: 6.04, 6.07, 6.24, 6.06, 6.22, 6.29, 6.33, 7.19 (0.2).

Thursday 6th July

Got out early this morning for this one.

Distance: 7.2 km. Time: 45.30.

Splits: 6.05, 6.18, 6.27, 6.15, 6.08, 6.23, 6.16, 7.22 (0.2).

Hopefully I can stick to the plan for the next five weeks. Rock & Roll I am coming to get you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Hi Gypsylee, I'm so sorry to hear about loss of your dad. It took a lot of strength to run the 10k and what a lovely tribute. Mind yourself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Sorry for your loss Gypsylee. Fair play for doing the race and best of luck with the hm plan!

Half Marathon Plan

Sunday 9th July

LSR this morning. My longest one to date. Took a different route to shake things up a bit. It was beautiful out on the Curragh and I enjoyed this run. Met my son out cycling after 4 kms so stopped for a chat, hence the slightly slower split. Happy with the pace.

Distance: 14.2 km. Time: 1hr 45 mins.

Splits: 6.51, 7.02, 7.12, 7.30, 8.14, 7.42, 7.42, 7.35, 7.26, 7.28, 7.19, 7.07, 7.30, 7.02, 6.30.

Five weeks to the half marathon, happy enough where I am with the training so far.

• Advertisement

Half Marathon Plan

I was home from work early this afternoon so got out for the 4.5 mile run as per the plan. I have found that I feel at my best for running around 4/5 p.m. Pushed hard for this run and really enjoyed it.

Distance: 7.2 km. Time: 43.50 mins.

Splits: 5.55, 6.01, 5.52, 6.13, 5.51, 5.58, 6.16, 6.04 (0.2).

Today is a 3 mile run/cross so will get out for a brisk walk at lunchtime. Lovely day for it.

Half Marathon Plan

The plan stated a 3 mile run/cross so I went for a brisk walk at lunchtime. All going well until at 4 km I developed a blister on my heel. Ouch! Never had that issue when running but I guess the fact that I was wearing Sketchers without socks might have something to do with it even though I wear them all the time like that. I must have been going too fast!

Thursday 13th July - 4. 5 miles as per the plan

I was feeling low this evening (four weeks since my Dad died and it hit me hard today) so I was not sure how this run would go. I was prepared to cut it short if I had to but wanted to give it a try anyway. Once I got out the door my head cleared a bit and I managed the full run. Thought I was running a lot slower so was happy to see the splits.

Distance: 7.2 km. Time: 45.50

Splits: 6.16, 6.14, 6.10, 6.25, 6.22, 6.11, 6.34, 6.11 (0.2).

We have my Dad's months mind Mass on Sunday so I will have to get out for my LSR tomorrow morning. Hoping to do 15 km which will be my longest run to date.

Well done Gypsylee, you're doing great!

Half Marathon Plan

I had to do my LSR on Saturday instead of Sunday so set out early. Took a different route again this week. I did not know the road at all and it turned out to be a busy country road with a few hills! Really enjoyed it though, weather was perfect for it and I ran my longest run to date. Happy with the pace and the fact that I could run the distance.

Time: 1.57 Distance: 16 km.

Splits: 6.54, 7.03, 7.09, 7.17, 7.21, 7.37, 7.51, 7.13, 7.30, 7.24, 7.28, 7.18, 7.11, 7.18, 7.18, 7.05.

Feeling confident about the half marathon now.

gypsylee wrote: »
    Half Marathon Plan

I had to do my LSR on Saturday instead of Sunday so set out early. Took a different route again this week. I did not know the road at all and it turned out to be a busy country road with a few hills! Really enjoyed it though, weather was perfect for it and I ran my longest run to date. Happy with the pace and the fact that I could run the distance.

Time: 1.57 Distance: 16 km.

Splits: 6.54, 7.03, 7.09, 7.17, 7.21, 7.37, 7.51, 7.13, 7.30, 7.24, 7.28, 7.18, 7.11, 7.18, 7.18, 7.05.

Well done on your longest run to date, lovely pace there too! You're doing great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

As well you should. Nice running :)

Huzzah! wrote: »
    As well you should. Nice running :)

EXACTLY what i was going to say. Well done! 16km is really a good LSR to conquer comfortably at this stage.

ariana` wrote: »
    EXACTLY what i was going to say. Well done! 16km is really a good LSR to conquer comfortably at this stage.

Thanks Ariana. Just a quick question. My last three LSRs were 12 km, 14.2 km and 16 km. Should I do a step back week this weekend. If so what distance would you suggest?

Thanks Ariana. Just a quick question. My last three LSRs were 12 km, 14.2 km and 16 km. Should I do a step back week this weekend. If so what distance would you suggest?

I'm certainly no expert but you've 3 weekends left, right? So how about
    13km, 18km, 10/12km.

That gives you a step-back this week.

I think it'd be good to cover 18km before D-Day as you'd be really well set then?

And then a bit of a taper the last weekend just to make sure you're fresh for the day.

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    I'm certainly no expert but you've 3 weekends left, right? So how about
    13km, 18km, 10/12km.

That gives you a step-back this week.

I think it'd be good to cover 18km before D-Day as you'd be really well set then?

And then a bit of a taper the last weekend just to make sure you're fresh for the day.

Thanks for that Ariana. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Advertisement