Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I really do this?

Options
  • 03-08-2016 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Having read most of the logs here, and taken on board some great advice given by you all, I have decided to bite the bullet and start my own log.

A bit about me - I am 48 years old, started running in February just to get fit and have a bit of "me" time. Back in the early 90s I ran the mini marathon in 58 mins which I thought was no big deal at the time. It is now!! I walk the mini marathon every year and have completed twelve of them.

I completed 5km runs in March, April, May and June. Best time was 32.14. My goal is to get under 30 minutes eventually.

I had intended to aim for a 10km run at the end of September but feeling brave one evening I entered for the Breast Cancer Run in the Phoenix Park on the 27th of August. Not feeling so brave about this now!

So I did a slow run yesterday evening:

6.5 km, duration 50 mins, avg pace 7.40 min/km

Splits: 7.06, 7.09, 7.16, 7.57, 7.43, 7.38, 7.28 (0.5k)

Will do a longer run on Saturday. Hoping to do 8.5 km this weekend and build up to 10 km over the next three weeks.

Thanks for reading. Any advice re. training over the next couple of weeks would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Yesterday was a lovely evening for a run. Tried a new route and did 4.5km. Bit disappointed as I had hoped it was over 5 km.

4.5km, duration 31.40 mins, avg pace 6.57km

Splits: 6.54, 6.37, 6.54, 6.56, 7.14 (0.5k).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Good luck with training! I will be following the log with interest! Are you following a plan or just doing your own thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

You should be fine to run the 10k, main goal should be to increase your distance now so aim this and next week on the weekend for 8-9K on a slow but steady pace around 7.5KM/H (better if you have a heart rate monitor and aim for 120 bpm). During the week two quicker 30 min runs with 135 bpm. The Sunday before the race, only have a relaxed 6k and in the last week, leave three days rest time and reduce training duration.
    Enjoy the race.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Good luck with training! I will be following the log with interest! Are you following a plan or just doing your own thing?

Just doing my own thing but taking on board all that i had read on different logs here in relation to long slow runs etc.

Thanks for the advice Harika. Will be doing a 8 km slow run tomorrow so will see how that goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The best of Luck with the log, will be watching with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Best of luck with everything! The 10k will be no bother to you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Yes you can! :)

Best of luck with the training, build up slowly and steadily and you will be fine. Enjoy the 10k and don't worry about the time, it will be a baseline for the future.

Well I did the long run this morning. Thought I was running much too slow so was glad to see the splits below. Had to pass my house around 5km and was very tempted to stop but I kept going. Felt fine after it so hopeful now for the 10km in three weeks time.

8.8 km duration 1.09:44, avg pace 7.53 km

Splits: 7.16, 7.58, 8.07, 8.24, 8.09, 7.58, 8.03, 8.18, 6.33 (0.8).

gypsylee wrote: »
    Well I did the long run this morning. Thought I was running much too slow so was glad to see the splits below. Had to pass my house around 5km and was very tempted to stop but I kept going. Felt fine after it so hopeful now for the 10km in three weeks time.

8.8 km duration 1.09:44, avg pace 7.53 km

Splits: 7.16, 7.58, 8.07, 8.24, 8.09, 7.58, 8.03, 8.18, 6.33 (0.8).

Great success. The point of the long runs is not to worry about speed anyway, it is to get your body used of running a long time without interruption. (Although if you take walking breaks every 15 minutes it is still fine). Speed you get during the week or when doing interval training. Also a race you usually run faster anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Great to see you have stated a log gypsylee. That 10k at the end of the month will be no bother for you :)

Sometimes life gets in the way of best laid plans. Yesterday was the first day I managed to get out for a run since 6th of August. It was very warm but I was happy enough with the run even though it was shorter than I would have liked.

4.8km, duration 34.06, avg pace 7.00 km.

Splits: 6.26,6.47, 6.48, 7.11, 7.26 (0.8)

So I decided to attempt another LSR this evening. It was raining but no wind which is the type of weather I love running in. Suits me better than the sun. Really enjoyed the run and was delighted with the distance.

10.1 km, duration 1.27, avg pace 8,37 km.

Splits: 7.44, 8.39, 8.52, 8.42, 8.50, 8.34, 8.50, 8.53, 8.26, 8.20, 6.48 (0.1)

That was my last lsr before the run in the Phoenix Park on Saturday week. Delighted to have managed the 10km without stopping although my pace was probably more like a fast walk! Would love to do the run in 1.20 so fingers crossed.

Legs feeling a bit stiff this morning but I hope this will wear away.

Looking forward to my first official 10km now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck with the log, the running and the 10k next week. Enjoy it.

Went for a run yesterday morning. Found it tough going even though weather conditions were good and it was a short run. Just an off day I guess.

5.5 km, duration 36.30, avg pace 6.39 km.

Splits: 6.28, 6.10, 6.37, 6.55, 6.56, 6.51 (0.5).

Will do another short run tomorrow evening and rest then until the 10km on Saturday. Feeling a bit anxious about the 10 km now.

Will do another short run tomorrow evening and rest then until the 10km on Saturday. Feeling a bit anxious about the 10 km now.

Well done and good plan, so what are you anxious about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It's natural to feel nervous or anxious about the 10km, or about any run or race that you want to do well in. (Hell I'm doing the 5km route and I'm nervous about that!).

Get plenty of rest and sleep, eat well, get your running stuff ready the night before (clothes, water, pins etc). Don't let the nerves get the better of you and enjoy the atmosphere on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I always feel anxious when racing a new distance for the first time, but you'll be grand. You already ran 10k last week so you know you're able for it, and it will be easier rather than harder in a race environment where you'll be revved up and driven on by your competitors. Try to relax and enjoy the experience; crossing the line will be great fun! :)

Thanks for the support and advice. Much appreciated.

Harika, no rational reason for feeling nervous, just fear of the unknown I guess. Just want to finish it without having to stop and really want to do it in a good time. Dont want to be last!

From your training times, I would guess you will run between 1h05 and 1h10 and there you will finish with a big chunk of people and defo not last. In my first 10k I ran first my pace, while someone was following me, then she overtook me and we alternatively pulled each other forward towards the finish line. Was great fun, so maybe find someone at your pace and start working together.
    My suggestion would be to set an average time of 6:45 for each km and adhere to it. One of the biggest mistake you can do is, too start overly excited with a pace of e.g. 5:30. This will come to haunt you on the final third.
    Overall, enjoy the race. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for your suggestions Harika, will take them on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I've done quite a number of races over the years and i'm still a bag of nerves before every race. Yes you will be nervous but don't let it get you stressed on the day. Few deep breaths if you feel its getting the better of you. Start out slowly and build on your pace as you settle in to the race.

Compile your race report as you are running, might help if you start struggling!! We'll all be routing for you!! Enjoy.

Went for a cycle on Monday night, my first in months. Felt a bit stiff after it yesterday morning though.

Last run last night before the 10km on Saturday.

4.3km , duration 29.40, 6.50 avg pace.

Splits: 6.41, 6.48, 6.42, 7.11, 6.49 (0.3).

Felt like a longer run probably cause my legs felt a bit heavy.

That's it now, I am doing no more training before Saturday. Three rest days, I will be itching to get out by Friday evening! Hope it all pays off now.

That's it now, I am doing no more training before Saturday. Three rest days, I will be itching to get out by Friday evening! Hope it all pays off now.
    If you find yourself getting cabin fever and itchy feet, go out for a short walk maybe Thursday evening. Just to stretch out the legs a little.

Yes, I did it! First 10km run in the bag. Delighted.

Arrived at Phoenix Park before 9. Great atmosphere, all very relaxed and plenty of time to get t-shirt, loo etc. weather was ideal. Even got my face painted!!! Was a smudge by the end but looked well in my pre-race photo!

I was conscious of not starting too fast though everyone seemed to be passing me by. Had no idea of pace as Strava was on my phone in my arm band so I just ran by feel. All went well for the first 5km apart from a bit of a hill around 3.5 km. Felt out of breath after that and knew I had to face it again on the second loop. When it came to start the second loop I was feeling like I should have stuck to the 5km. I reminded myself that I was well able to run more than 5km and on I went after the welcome water at the half way stage.

Just before the hill on the second loop I felt very lightheaded and my legs went a bit wobbly. I decided I could either keep running and fall down or walk for a bit. I hated having to walk but the alternative was worse. I walked for nearly a km or so and gradually starting running slowly again as I felt better. I was so happy to see the finish line and clapped going through. The relief!

Haven't got my official time yet but below are Strava's results. Happy with time for my first 10km.

10.5km distance. 1.17 duration.

Splits: 6.46, 6.44, 6.42, 7.26, 7.21, 7.27, 7.19, 6.59, 8.09, 8.13 7.25 (0.5)

All observations, critics say and advice for future runs welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Well done Gypsylee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Well done on the 10km!!!! It was really warm this am, maybe some dehydration contributed to feeling dizzy and weak, make sure you get plenty of fluids tonight! Congratulations!!!!

Thanks Mel and FIFA. Got my official time. 1.15.54 so delighted.

I am getting well hydrated on wine tonight!

Well done! It was very warm out there and made running conditions tougher. Get plenty of fluids into you over the weekend.

• Advertisement

Thanks Sunny Dayz. Legs a bit stiff today. Drinkng lots of water.

Advertisement