Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I really do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Good luck tomorrow, J.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck J !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Good luck tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Very best of luck j

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Run well J, and enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I hope it went well today

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I was unsure about posting about the FD 10 miler as yet again it was a disaster of a race for me. Why can I do the training runs so easily and then mess up every race? Maybe it’s because I run alone all the time and the crowds around unsettle me. Maybe I put too much pressure on myself to achieve a certain time. After yesterday I have decided to stick to 5km and 10 km runs from now on. I am not enjoying the longer runs anymore whereas this time last year I loved every run of DCM training. I will do the Race Series Half in four weeks with the sole goal of just finishing it, goal times are gone now.

Anyway back to yesterday. It was hot from the off. I was fairly relaxed starting and the first 4 km were right on pace, 6.53, 6.52, 6.47, 7.00. After that the wheels came off which was much too early! 8.03, 7.37, 7.54, 7.51. It was just a struggle. Felt dizzy around the 8 km mark and considered getting a DNF! Only the thought of the lovely t shirt kept me going. 7.21, 8.18, 8.46, 8.03. Even the nice downhills couldn’t help me up the pace. When the ambulance stays behind you for a while you know you must look like you are in trouble . 7.56, 8.08, 7.47, 10.25 (wtf!) 8.28, 7.24 (0.3). Chip time 2.08.50.

So much for me thinking I was capable of a sub 1.55!

I am very disappointed. I really thought I could do so much better. I know I can but that’s for 12 months time maybe.

I have a local hilly 5 mile run next Saturday evening. Looking forward to it despite yesterday’s disaster. I will keep training for the Half and do my best in four weeks time.

Sorry you had a rough day yesterday. By all accounts the heat sapped a lot of people’s energy. Everybody is mentioning it on Strava.

Reading your report reminds me of me last year though. I trained for Cork City Marathon using Hal Higdon. The only faster miles each were were in a mid week run and they were always no bother so I thought I was well set. However when I upped the pace for Limerick half and the Cork full then I couldn’t sustain it. Both races were miserable.

I think it would help to add some pace miles into your long runs or try finish with the last few miles at pace every second week. I found the Grads plan amazing for sorting me out. The sessions and long runs were brilliant and then I started finally getting faster in races. I hope that is of some help. Maybe others would suggest a plan that might suit you more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

gypsylee wrote: »
    I was unsure about posting about the FD 10 miler as yet again it was a disaster of a race for me. Why can I do the training runs so easily and then mess up every race? Maybe it’s because I run alone all the time and the crowds around unsettle me. Maybe I put too much pressure on myself to achieve a certain time. After yesterday I have decided to stick to 5km and 10 km runs from now on. I am not enjoying the longer runs anymore whereas this time last year I loved every run of DCM training. I will do the Race Series Half in four weeks with the sole goal of just finishing it, goal times are gone now.

Anyway back to yesterday. It was hot from the off. I was fairly relaxed starting and the first 4 km were right on pace, 6.53, 6.52, 6.47, 7.00. After that the wheels came off which was much too early! 8.03, 7.37, 7.54, 7.51. It was just a struggle. Felt dizzy around the 8 km mark and considered getting a DNF! Only the thought of the lovely t shirt kept me going. 7.21, 8.18, 8.46, 8.03. Even the nice downhills couldn’t help me up the pace. When the ambulance stays behind you for a while you know you must look like you are in trouble . 7.56, 8.08, 7.47, 10.25 (wtf!) 8.28, 7.24 (0.3). Chip time 2.08.50.

I am very disappointed. I really thought I could do so much better. I know I can but that’s for 12 months time maybe.

I have a local hilly 5 mile run next Saturday evening. Looking forward to it despite yesterday’s disaster. I will keep training for the Half and do my best in four weeks time.

You could be writing about my race yesterday - my wheels came off at same time. We made it though- we didn’t give up - and I was happy with that. I’m the king of training as well - but I’ve been running a long time and these races happen and they knock me down for a few days , but for every crap race (or two) I’ll have an amazing one where everything comes together . So hang on in there - the good training will pay off . Yesterday made us stronger and now the bad race is out of the way .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Sorry to hear your race yesterday didn’t go to plan. From what I’ve heard a lot of people were in the same boat as yourself and found the heat tough going. It can be disappointing when you know you have trained for it, but for whatever reason it doesn’t happen for you on the day. I think we’ve all been there. You’ve seemed quite happy with your training runs, I’m sure there are some more knowledgable people here than myself who can give you some constructive feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Wheels came off for alot at the 6k to 8k mark. A good few i know were 5 mins off their target. I stopped at 8k, had dnf in my head and got going again and enjoyed it.

I know how you feel gypsylee I had a similar day at the Waterford Viking Half it really knocked me. but you stuck with it and finished and you will probably find you recover very quickly from it as well. it was so hot yesterday and it really took its toll on everyone and it does add on time as your body is working hard to cool you down but keep blood pumping to your muscles as well.

I would give Karen idea a go as well I have found doing a fast finish on my long runs was a great boost mentally as well as helping the legs

I bet you have a much better day at the Dublin Half Marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

J, I was so sorry to see your Strava update yesterday. It looks to me like you started at the correct pace but that something beyond your control went wrong; it might have been the heat or you might be coming down with something.

You've gotten some great suggestions above. I don't have anything to add other than please don't be discouraged. You're always so positive and encouraging to others.

You are capable of sub 1:55 on a different day.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Don’t t be too discouraged J, all your internet friends support you. As E said you are a great support for others, you WILL have your day as you train well.

Sorry to hear of a bad day J. As you know though, you were far from the only one. You did manage to finish it out. Training and races will hopefully be easier from now on in the cooler weather.

Thanks everyone for your support and kind words. It is very much appreciated.

I had my moan yesterday so today is back to business. I will continue with my Half plan for the next three weeks, will do my best on the day and I will cross the finish line on the 21st of September irrespective of the time it takes.

Back on the Plan

After my epic fail at FD10 Mile it was time to continue with the Half Plan.

Tuesday 27th August - 3 miles - 32 mins 26s. Average pace 6.29 km. Felt the need to try out some fast running on this one and managed a 5.21 km in the middle. It was only one and I was bushed after it but delighted. Going to try and improve my 5k time after this plan is finished.

Wednesday 28th August - 5 miles. Time 55 mins 33s. Average pace 6.56 km. Happy with this run.

Saturday 31st August - TP Waters 5 Mile Ambition Run. A local run for charity which was on at 7 p.m. My first evening race. I had run this one last year when it was a Sunday morning race and I knew the route was very hilly and rough terrain in parts but I was looking forward to it. I decided to just run as fast as I could before the hills hit! It was a tough one and very warm. I was hoping to get under 55 minutes so was delighted with my time of official time of 53 mins something. The first two kms were great splits for me and then the big hill hit! Lovely burgers served after the run which were much appreciated.

Splits: 5.39, 5.40, 7.07, 6.28, 6.34, 6.29, 6.43, 6.57 6.28 (0.4).

Monday 2nd September - 3 miles. Time 36 mins 54s. Average pace: 7.21 km.

Wednesday 4th September - 5 miles. Time 58 mins 26s. Average pace: 7.18 km.

It was a lovely warm afternoon but so blustery. Wind was in my face for the 4k out the road so was happy to have the wind on my back for the second half. Really enjoyed this run.

Thursday 5th September - 3 miles. Time 37 mins. Average pace: 7.14 km. A few loops of the local running track and then 2.5 km on the road. Lovely evening for it.

Saturday 7th September - 11 miles. Time: 2 hour 12 mins. Average pace: 7.27 km. I was apprehensive about this one, it has been a while since I did an LSR of this distance. Once I settled into it though it was very enjoyable. Stayed close to home with two loops and then an out and back on a local road. Delighted to get it done and happy with pace. Brought a bottle of water with me and took a clif blok at 9 km. No issues.

Splits: 7.26, 7.54, 7.32, 7.17, 7.19, 7.30, 7.21, 7.30, 7.28, 7.29, 7.32, 7.19, 7.37, 6.47, 7.43, 6.53, 7.47, 7.37 (0.8).

Tuesday 10th September - 3 miles. Time: 32 mins 33s. Average pace 6.23 km.

Its been a while since I got out for an early morning run. Went at 7 o'clock and it was a tad chilly. Warmed up nicely by the time I had finished. Beautiful sunrise and a real feel good run. It was lovely.

I am going to do an LSR of 10 miles on Saturday and then just a couple of short runs on Monday and Wednesday of next week before I tackle the Half on Saturday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

All the very best tomorrow J, have a great run!

Good luck tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Time to stop hiding from this log after a disastrous Dublin Half Marathon and get back on track.

Saturday 21st September - Dublin Half Marathon

I really wanted to finish this one in under 2 hours 35 mins. I followed the training plan and felt I could achieve my goal. Unfortunately it was another disaster. I planned to keep my pace between 7 min km and 7.30 km and see how it went.
    All went well until between 12km and 13km when suddenly I was hit with stomach cramps and vomited on the side of the road. It was out of the blue and my stomach felt icky from then on. I was sipping on Tailwind and took a clif bloc at 8km so I assume they both reacted with each other and that caused the upset.

There was a lot of walking from that point and I just wanted to get it over and done with. Finish time was 2 hours 46 minutes, my slowest Half from the five I have done. I was so disappointed.

Splits: 7.07, 6.53, 6.52, 7.00, 6.55, 7.06, 7.32, 7.41, 7.47, 7.54, 7.45, 7.39, 9.09, 7.22, 8.38, 8.20, 8.13, 8.20, 7.41, 9.45, 9.03, 7.07 (0.2).

Tuesday 24th September

5km run in 34 minutes. I needed to get out for this one just to put the horrors of Saturday behind me.

So then I went off to New York on Thursday with the aim of getting a short run done in Central Park.

Sunday 29th September

I ran/walked from the hotel to one of the Central Park entrances. It was a beautiful warm morning and the small part of the park which I saw was amazing. So many dog walkers, hundreds! My sense of direction is not great, even with a map, so I was conscious not to venture in too far so I wouldn't get lost. The scenery, the paths, the greenery was so beautiful. I was delighted to get the chance to run/walk here. It was one of the highlights of my trip to New York.

5.52 km - average pace 8.12 km.

Sunday 6th October

Back home so got out for a 5k run. Pushed on for the 2nd and 3rd km and was delighted with the pace.

Splits: 6.17, 5.55, 5.33, 7.04, 7.24.

Tuesday 8th October

Was delighted to be able to get out for an early morning run just before it got bright. Enjoyed this run.

5.14 km. Average pace 6.53/km.

I got a head cold during the week, was all bunged up so didnt get out for anymore runs.

Sunday 13th October

Decided to try something different - cycling. Way back in my younger days I did a good bit of cycling but have not cycled in years despite the fact that I got a present of a bicycle three years ago just before I caught the running bug! I took the bike out, dusted it down, got it serviced and I was all set. AXA have started an initiative in local areas to get people back to cycling. My brother, a keen cyclist was the leader in our town so it would have been rude not to support him!

It was lashing on Sunday morning but as I have ran in worse weather I decided to go anyway. It was a slow 10km loop on local routes. It was tough! I found it hard to get my breathing right but hopefully I will improve with practice. I enjoyed the spin although I was achy on Monday! The plan is a community cycle every second week so I will stick with it and hopefully get a couple of cycles done myself also.

Wednesday 16th October

It was a lovely morning so I set out for a 8 km run. I was still sniffly and had to stop a couple of times to blow my nose. Legs felt heavy too so stopped the run at 5km.

Distance: 5.20 km. Average pace 6.45/km

Thursday 17th October

It was dark for this one so I stuck to a 3km loop from my house. Did the loop twice. Happy with the run. Planned on a nice easy run but picked up the pace a bit for the second loop.

Distance: 6.1 km. Splits: 7.41, 7.13, 7.02, 6.52, 6.37, 6.57.

So what is the plan for the Winter? I intend to get out running three or four times a week, two 5k runs, one 8k and a LSR of 10km. I want to run just because I love running, not for any particular goal, race time etc. I have signed up for a 5k and a 10k race in November. I am just going to enjoy them and not worry about the finish time. I will sign up for a 6k in December with the same aim.

I do not intend to run any Halfs next year, I would like to do a 10 mile race in August but for now I am just going to run because I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

but for now I am just going to run because I can.

I like that, what better reason to run other than to enjoy it..

I want to run just because I love running, not for any particular goal, race time etc.
    Love this - absolutely! I think training and races can sometimes take the love out of running. It's great to have enjoyable runs.
    So glad you got your run in Central Park, it's very much a bucket list item.
    I'm sorry the Dublin half marathon didn't go the way you would have liked.
    Keep us updated with your log.

Time to stop hiding from this log after a disastrous Dublin Half Marathon and get back on track.

Saturday 21st September - Dublin Half Marathon

Tuesday 24th September

5km run in 34 minutes. I needed to get out for this one just to put the horrors of Saturday behind me.

So then I went off to New York on Thursday
    with the aim of getting a short run done in Central Park.

Sunday 29th September

Loved reading that part especially :D Glad to see you're more positive and over the HM :)

So good to see you back loging again and getting back out an enjoying running as that is the most important part isnt it:D

Not much to report

I have been trying to get back into the routine of running 3 or 4 runs each week, just random distances. It's going well.

Sunday 20th October

A local 5k run which I did with my two nieces who are 9 and 7. The elder one is a member of the athletics club and would be well able to beat me! However she wanted to do it with us and she stayed with us until the last 1k when she sprinted for home! She was very funny cos she said she was going to run past the stewards, she didn't want them to see her walking!

Delighted with our time of just under 43 minutes.

Monday 21st October

A lovely 5k run straight after work before it got dark.

Time: 34.12 minutes. Average pace: 6.43/km

Wednesday 23rd October

Lovely Autumn morning for this run. 8 km in 56 minutes. I could have kept going all day!

Saturday 26th October

My second cycle. 12.70 km in 1 hour 3 minutes.

A beautiful morning for this one. I was the slowest of the group, just like running, but everyone was very nice and waited for me as I struggled with the hills! Really enjoyed it.

Monday 28th October

A lovely Bank Holiday run. Weather was perfect, all was good with the world.

7 km in 49 mins. Average pace: 6.57 km/hr

Wednesday 30th October

Another lovely Autumn morning for this one. Love being able to run on a Wednesday morning.

8.2 km in 57 minutes. Average pace: 6.57 km/hr

Saturday 2nd November

I wanted to increase my weekend runs so decided to start with a nice easy 10km.

Did a local loop and when I reached home it was just short of 11km so I rounded it off.

11 km in 1 hour 19 mins. Average pace: 7.11 km.

Monday 4th November

Now that the evenings are so dark I have to stick to the town area for these runs. Did a 3km loop from my house twice.
    It was a pretty miserable evening but I enjoyed the run.

6 km in 43 mins. Average pace: 7.07 km.

Wednesday 6th November

I set out intending to do 8 km but it was such a lovely morning that I stretched it to 10 km.

10 km in 1 hour 10 mins. Average pace: 7.03 km.

Thursday 7th November

Back at Circuit Training after a break of a couple of months. It was tough and I am so achy this morning. Will stick with it.

I will be running a 5k race tomorrow morning. Was hoping to finish in under 32 minutes but I feel so achy today that under 35 minutes will do nicely.

The Gingerbread 10 km Run on Sunday week but I will be walking this with my daughter.

I am going to keep getting the runs in for the rest of the year, no plans to follow, just pounding the roads at whatever pace I feel like.

Hoping to find a plan to follow for the New Year which will hopefully add a bit of speed to my 5k and 10k distances.

For now I am just happy to be able to lace up my runners and run.

The Monthly Update

Just plodding along getting out when I can. Trying to stay motivated during the cold dark months of Winter.

Saturday 9th November

Clane 5km Run.

This is a lovely run each year, I loved the 5k route, an out and back, fairly flat. The 10k route is equally as nice. I would recommend this run to everyone.

I wasn't feeling the love for running before the start. It was bitterly cold and wet. Was delighted to finish under 32 minutes.

Distance: 5 k. Time: 31 mins 36 secs.

Sunday 10th November

It was a lovely morning so decided to go for a cycle. My first solo one! I am slow (just like running!) and find it tougher than running but was delighted to do 10.45 km in 51 minutes. I hope to do a bit more cycling next year.

Monday 11th November

I had planned to get out for a run but went for a walk with my son instead. A nice 6.25 km in 58 mins.

Wednesday 13th November

7 km in 49 mins. A bread and butter run!

Thursday 14th November

Beautiful day so this was a lunchtime walk. 4.1 km in 42 mins. Cleared the head.

Circuit Training later. It still hurts!

Saturday 16th November

7.1 km in 49 minutes. An afternoon run and it was very enjoyable on a quiet country road.

Sunday 17th November - Gingerbread 10km Run

I did this one with my daughter (who does not run!) so we walked it in 1 hour 28 mins.

The route was challenging but an enjoyable one.

I hit my 1000 km target for 2019 during the Gingerbread Run. Happy days!

I did no running for the next week. Had a nasty cough, no cold just a constant cough so no running.

Monday 25th November

Went straight out after work for this one. It lashed half way around. Good to get out though.

5.44 km in 38 mins.

I signed up for a 100km in December Challenge to ensure that I got out for some runs during December. Will probably only reach the goal on New Year's Eve! Will stick with it.

Monday 2nd December

A 3k loop which I ran twice. 6 km in 42 minutes.

Wednesday 4th December

Having been stuck in the house all day I got out for a lovely walk on the Curragh Racecourse with my son. Not a quick one but enjoyable.

6.5 km in 1 hour 6 mins.

Saturday 7th December

6k's of Christmas.

The local running club hold this event every year. There is a 12k and 6 km option. This was the first race I did back in December 2015 with no training, just to keep my sister company on it. That run ignited an interest in running and I started running in February 2016 because of it.

The run was a loop out the Curragh and back into the town. I know every lump and bump on that road so I knew what was ahead of me. A few hills which I walked cos I hate them. Thought I would do it in under 42 minutes, was hoping to get under 40 mins and was delighted to get a chip time of 38 min 53 seconds.

The medal is lovely as usual and a book of Lily O'Brien's chocolates and hot chocolate after.

It was great to be able to walk to the start line and walk home after it.

Monday 9th December

The usual 3k loop X 2. 6 km in 43 mins.

Wednesday 11th December

A nice morning run just as the sun was coming out. 5.75 km in 40 mins.

Only 30 km of the 100 km challenge done so far. Hoping to get out for 12k on Saturday as I signed up for a virtual 12 k's of Christmas run. Will be a LSR but will be done.

Final Update of 2019

I was feeling a bit under the weather for a couple of weeks in December so found it hard to up the mileage to make the 100km challenge for December. Once I felt better over Christmas I upped my game and managed to complete it on New Year's Eve. It wasn't going to beat me!

Sunday 15th December

Distance 8.1 km. Time: 56 mins.
    I have no recollection of doing this run at all but Strava says I did so it must be true!

Monday 16th December

Distance: 6.1 km. Time: 45 mins.
    A cold run with some icy patches. I have a fear of falling so did not enjoy this run.

Wednesday 18th December

Distance: 6.5 km. Time: 45 mins.
    Lovely morning for this run, enjoyed it.

Sunday 22nd December

Distance: 3.7 km. Time: 32 mins.
    An evening walk after a lovely dinner and wine.

Monday 23rd December

Distance: 5.7 km. Time: 39 mins.
    A nice easy run on a lovely afternoon.

Wednesday 25th December

Distance: 3 km. Time: 35 mins.
    The usual Christmas evening walk after the excess

Friday 27th December

Distance: 8.4 km. Time: 55 mins.
    This was a lovely run, felt great during it and the new Garmin worked fine.

Saturday 28th December

Distance: 6 km. Time: 46 mins.
    A lovely afternoon for this one, felt good running by all the mad people queuing to get into Kildare Village. Madness

Sunday 29th December

Distance: 5 km. Time: 48 mins.
    A lovely walk with my son to get the mileage for the challenge done.

Monday 30th December

Distance: 5.8 km. Time: 40 mins.
    Considering this was after a late night with plenty of drinking and dancing it went well!

Tuesday 31st December

Distance: 12.2 km. Time: 1 hour 22 mins.
    I had signed up for a virtual 12km run to be completed in December and only managed to get it done on the last day. I was unsure as to how this would go as it is so long since I ran more than 8km. A lovely morning for it, legs felt it in the last couple of kms but I got it done. A nice finish to the year.

Total Distance for 2019: 1,106 km.

Wednesday 1st January 2020

I was looking forward to a nice lie in on New Year's Day but my sister decided it would be fun to do a local 5km run. Of course i agreed to go with her. I was not sure how it would go as my legs were tired. Hoped to finish in under 35 minutes and the chip time was 32 mins something so happy with that.

And so 2020 begins....

No goals, no pressure, no chasing PBs, no Half Marathons.... sounds like a great year ahead!

I have a few races in mind for this year, I want to do a run in each county of Leinster plus of course a few in my home county so that will keep me busy. I plan to do an LSR of 10 miles each month finishing with the Kilcock 10 Mile Run in August. And that's it for 2020. Just going to keep pounding the roads, continue to enjoy the runs and be thankful for each run I am able to do.

Have a great 2020 everyone and I hope you achieve all your running goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

gypsylee wrote:
    I have a few races in mind for this year, I want to do a run in each county of Leinster plus of course a few in my home county so that will keep me busy. I plan to do an LSR of 10 miles each month finishing with the Kilcock 10 Mile Run in August. And that's it for 2020. Just going to keep pounding the roads, continue to enjoy the runs and be thankful for each run I am able to do.

That's a fun idea to do races in the different counties! Let me know when you plan on doing one in Offaly :D And amen to enjoying running :)

• Advertisement

Final Update of 2019

I have a few races in mind for this year, I want to do a run in each county of Leinster plus of course a few in my home county so that will keep me busy.

Best of luck with your running in 2020!
    Let me know when you are running in Westmeath.

Advertisement