Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kerry man to have speed limiter fitted to car after caught at 164km/h

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I've never seen a kerry website before either!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Er...he can still drive other people's cars - like he was doing when he got caught

Gob****e should have gotten a more appropriate sentence.

He comes from a wealthy family AFAIK, so laying out €1500 to avoid any conviction or any effect on his insurance is a pretty sweet deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Mad **** happens in Kerry, a drunk driver caught for his 2nd offence driving at nearly 4 times the drink drive limit escaped a ban until December so he could find a "nice woman"....
    A bachelor farmer from an isolated part of Co Kerry will not be put off the road for drink driving until December so he can get his affairs in order, a court has ruled.

In the meantime, John O’Shea (60) is to try find “a nice woman” at the Lisdoonvarna matchmaking festival to drive him around, the court heard.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/judge-gives-farmer-time-to-find-nice-woman-before-driving-ban-1.2678677

Same judge.

One is reminded of judge Zaidans lax attitude towards dangerous drivers on his last day in Inishowen, and how that ended up.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

How would you fare with that sort of a judgement when it comes to getting a quote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

That's insane, he should've been banned. The piece doesn't state if he got penalty points, presume he got six at least? It's two fingers to all the drivers being caught just over the limit in peri-urban areas causing no danger to anybody if he was left off.

M

FrontDoor wrote: »
    How would you fare with that sort of a judgement when it comes to getting a quote?

I'd presume it's classed as a conviction so they will have to inform their insurer or potential insurer and when they hear about the speed they may decline offering cover for a new quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Funny that he put 1500 into the poor box
    It's really common use in Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I really shouldn't say this but if they reckon a shade over 100mph is ferocious driving, there's an awful lot of savages out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Although to be honest, the use of Kilometres per hour makes it look worse than it is.
    Who hasn't at some stage done 90 mph on a good stretch of road?
    And probably in something a lot more ordinary than a 2 litre Integra.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Although to be honest, the use of Kilometres per hour makes it look worse than it is.
    Who hasn't at some stage done 90 mph on a good stretch of road?
    And probably in something a lot more ordinary than a 2 litre Integra.

I've done way more in yokes a lot more ordinary, though in my defence not in any kind of traffic.

All the same, had I been caught I would have fully accepted I was losing the licence for a good while. I don't come from a wealthy or influential family though.

M

Anyone know what the actual limit is on the road in question he was caught on?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Anyone know what the actual limit is on the road in question he was caught on?

100km/h. It's a wide single carraigeway opened in 2006.

EDIT: It's the road marked N22 in this link: https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.2035221,-9.5639595,16z?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

164km/h doesn't sound too bad there. Looks like nice wide straight road.
    It's only 64% over the speed limit.

Very comparable to being 64% over the speed limit on Dublin Queys with 30km/h limit. To achieve that it's enough to do 50km/h there.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

CiniO wrote: »

Very comparable to being 64% over the speed limit on Dublin Queys with 30km/h limit. To achieve that it's enough to do 50km/h there.

The difference in stopping distance between 30 and 50 km/h is roughly 13 metres. The difference between 100 and 160 is likely close to 100 metres so they're not really comparable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It's real "ah Jaysis, begosh and begorrah, shurre 'tis terrible shpeed altogether, de ceaar must have been liftin' off de road now, so it must".
    Speed starts at 200. Serious speed starts at 250. 160 will get you blasted off the Autobahn for being a slowpoke. I'd call it cruising speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

biko wrote: »
    Funny that he put 1500 into the poor box
    It's really common use in Kerry

Im from Limerick but living in Kerry the last 6 years, I have to admit Country living is different from City Living .

But lets be honest with the way the penal system is in Ireland at the moment. The judge had 2 choices.
    (Custodial Sentence) Which would cost the tax payer a lot of money incl transfers to/from prison and be released after a few days.

(Fine) Its not costing the taxpayer money for transfers,prison stay, medical bills etc

I dont agree with a minuscule punishment for these types of crimes, But surely its better to "Hit them in the pocket" as opposed to a "Revolving Prison Sentence"

pcuser wrote: »
    Im from Limerick but living in Kerry the last 6 years, I have to admit Country living is different from City Living .

But lets be honest with the way the penal system is in Ireland at the moment. The judge had 2 choices.
    (Custodial Sentence) Which would cost the tax payer a lot of money incl transfers to/from prison and be released after a few days.

(Fine) Its not costing the taxpayer money for transfers,prison stay, medical bills etc

I dont agree with a minuscule punishment for these types of crimes, But surely its better to "Hit them in the pocket" as opposed to a "Revolving Prison Sentence"

He could have banned him like many others have been banned in the same situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

I got 3 points and a 120 euro fine for doing 57 in a 50 zone leaving a village, 3 seconds after the speed van I was in the 60 zone. Are there grades of speeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

OttoPilot wrote: »
    The difference in stopping distance between 30 and 50 km/h is roughly 13 metres. The difference between 100 and 160 is likely close to 100 metres so they're not really comparable.

Yes, but stopping distance from 30km/h is probably about 12 metres (assuming 1 seconds reaction time), while stopping distance from 100km/h is about 68 metres (also assuming 1 seconds driver's reaction time).

So while doing 160km/h instead of 100km/h adds a good bit to stopping distance, but this stopping distance was already very high at 100km/h. Road is designed for it.

In town centre adding, where stopping distance from 30km/h is normally around 12 metres, adding extra 13 meteres makes a huge difference f.e. when a pedestrian steps right in front of your car.

Percentagewise, increase in stopping distance between 30 and 50km/h is very similar to increase in stopping distance from 100km/h to 160km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

It's real "ah Jaysis, begosh and begorrah, shurre 'tis terrible shpeed altogether, de ceaar must have been liftin' off de road now, so it must".
    Speed starts at 200. Serious speed starts at 250. 160 will get you blasted off the Autobahn for being a slowpoke. I'd call it cruising speed.

Didn't realize Kerry roads were of the same standard as the autobahn. And 160 would certainly not get you blasted off as the advisory speed is 130.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I was about to say, 160km/h is not exactly fast. Its 100mph. You're average family saloon will hit that without any effort at all, probably won't even feel it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

OttoPilot wrote: »
    Didn't realize Kerry roads were of the same standard as the autobahn. And 160 would certainly not get you blasted off as the advisory speed is 130.

Have you driven on the autobahn? Last few times I was there I was getting passed at 240 kmph. At 160 I felt like a pensioner in a micra.

A good road is a good road. Doesn't matter where it is. I drive at 160 all the time. Never come close to the car exploding or chasing down puppies and children or anything.

Just get where I'm going faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd presume it's classed as a conviction so they will have to inform their insurer or potential insurer and when they hear about the speed they may decline offering cover for a new quote.

He paid €1500 to avoid a conviction, therefore he's nothing to disclose to insurance companies.

How did I know it would be a useless top speed limiter. He can still double the urban limit so a stupid restriction from a gombeen judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Only 64% above the limit?! Ah sure they should be giving him €1500 so and not the other way around :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Lot of geramens get splattered at the isle of man - can do the speed can't de corners

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Wow a slap on the wrist, say 3 hail mary's and 1 our father and put something in the poor box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

does such a device exist? I imagine it could be had but I doubt it could be sourced and fitted within the timeframe as it would be a one off.

I'd imagine the youngfella offered to do it, and there will be no actual checking of it down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

cute Kerry hoor ?

Advertisement