Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Requesting more detailed speed camera picture?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Received a fine in the post today for 62 in a 50 zone.

My issue with the fine is that photo given is just of the registration plate and is not necessarily my car.

I have zero issue in paying the fine if it was me, but I have no recollection of the time or place, and would like to have a fuller picture to be sure it was me.

Is this something I can request?
    Email npo@garda.ie with the reference number on your speeding ticket letter and ask them for the full picture.
    They'll then post it out to you.
    Pictures aren't great quality though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

CiniO wrote: »
    Probably not, and it would be overkill.

But in most parts of the world, if they want to fine a driver for speeding, it's up to them to prove he/she was driving. (f.e. picture of driver face).

In Ireland law is constructed in that way, that it's vehicle owner who is automatically assumed to be guilty of speeding, unless he can prove otherwise.

That's against basic rule of "innocent unless proven guilty". It's very bad system, but that's what it is...

Luckily it's not as bad as some people keep repeating in this forum.
    It's common myth, that unless you can point out a person who was driving and that person accepts responsibility (i.e. pays the fine) you will be fined for speeding. That's not true.

If your car was caught speeding by speed camera, and you can prove it was not you driving (f.e. you can prove you were somewhere else at that time) then they can't prosecute you for speeding, even if you can't/won't point out who was driving.

It is in keeping with innocent till proven guilty.

the owner gets a fine in the post (because there is no way the Garda can know who was driving the car, and i assume this is same else where as facial recognition and database sare not up to scratch yet.

the owner can accept the fine i.e plead guilty, take the fine and points....

Or the owner can refute the charges and go to court to fight his case....
    not disclosing the driver of the vehicle can be fought in court....

Advertisement