Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacksaw Ridge

Options
  • 28-07-2016 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭

WW2 drama starring Andrew Garfield as a medic who refuses to carry a weapon for religious reasons. With Teresa Palmer, Vince Vaughn, Hugo Weaving, and Rachel Griffiths, directed by Mel Gibson. One for the Awards season, methinks.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

that looks decent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm so bored of war movies...

Gibson needs to stop faffing around and make that viking movie he was talking about.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Is it just me thinks this looks awful? Like an SNL spoof of a war film?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Think it looks very decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Looks ok, Garfield's acting doesn't quite seem right to me however.

Hopefully it'll be entertaining, want to see Gibson fire out more movies and I'm waiting on that Viking epic too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Can't wait for this, it looks amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Vince Vaughn and Hugo Weaving getting good praise

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

No sign of a release date for here yet? It's out tomorrow in the states

ktulu123 wrote: »
    No sign of a release date for here yet? It's out tomorrow in the states

I thought it was tomorrow but it doesn't seem to appear in the "coming soon" section of some of the cinema websites here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Don't think it's out until 2017 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

IMDB lists it for 27th January, for the UK, so probably the same for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Vince Vaughn in a serious drama? Don't think I've seen that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Many... Many good reviews from what I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Has anyone had a *coughs* sneaky peek of this movie due out on the 27th? Saw it myself and was reaching for my barf bucket so many times it was that bad :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Has anyone had a *coughs* sneaky peek of this movie due out on the 27th? Saw it myself and was reaching for my barf bucket so many times it was that bad :D

Yes... excellent movie.

A must see, best movie of 2016 imo.

Yes... excellent movie.

A must see, best movie of 2016 imo.

What impressed you most the acting Vince Vaughan :P the dialogue or Forrest Gump in the lead role. Add the cheesy scenes cheap CGI i could go on and on :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    What impressed you most the acting Vince Vaughan :P the dialogue or Forrest Gump in the lead role. Add the cheesy scenes cheap CGI i could go on and on :p

Thought Vaughan was pretty good actually, and the lead role outstanding. I enjoy war movies so I might be biased :)

There was certainly some cheesy scenes, that I'll concede!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

For sure needs to be seen on the big screen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Incredible. Dubious at the start but Christ those war scenes. I don't think modern(ish) war has ever been portrayed better in a film, the bar has been set post Saving Private Ryan. Need to see it again. The man was such a hero in real life too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Good chance it is the Odeon Screen Unseen film on Monday next.
    The clues seem to fit.

I thought this would be one for the big screen 1 in the Savoy. Apparently not!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Disposable1

Enjoyed it a lot. It's nice to see a film about a decent human being, particularly one that managed to stick to his principals in such an awful setting. I do not like realistic violence in films (not styalised ultraviolence) but the lead character made it more palatable. Knowing that even in the midst of horrific situations is....something, I can't think of the word so I'll just go with "nice".
    It reminds me of a quote by Mr. Rogers, something his mother said, "in awful situations, look for the helpers, there's always somebody helping." I quite like that because I tend towards the negative when I think of the human race.

As for a competent comment on the film itself I can not really provide that. I thought it dragged in places. There were moments that made me laugh out loud. There were also moments of visceral violence, it is the closest thing to the opening of Saving Private Ryan I have seen. The relationship between Desmond and Dorothy is sweet. I can't really fault it. I am especially glad to see Gibson back behind the camera.

Anyone scratching there head with the scene in which the soldier picks up a piece of a fallen comrade and you remember the rest. Thought that bizzare almost offensive. What what Gibson thinking there.

Outstanding film. Took me a bit of time to warm up to the lead, because well Mel likes his God themes doesn't he. But once it gets to the crux of the movie the backstory becomes much more relevant. One or two flaws which I think will stop it from winning best picture, but overall and outstanding piece of work with the battle scenes exceptionally directed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Watched this last night,a damn good war movie.The reasons why Doss wouldn't carry a weapon became more evident through the movie and made the viewer buy into his reasoning even more than his faith in God.
    The battle scenes were extremely visceral and in your face but weren't gory just for the sake of it,they showed the horror of war and made it even more remarkable that Doss went onto that ridge without so much as a stick to hit somebody with.
    Garfield's goofy look took time to warm to but as the movie went on I didn't mind it so much especially later on when he was on Okinawa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Fantastic film, Mel Gibson's knows to shoot the hell out of a War scene and to think he made this with less of a budget then he did Braveheart, you have to give him props. Andrew Garfield got a well deserved Oscar nod for Best Actor, he's amazing in this give it the slight nod ahead of his turn in Silence. Hugo Weaving deserves praise too as his WW1 veteran father. Even Vince Vaugan and Sam Worthington are both very good.

The first 40 minutes are easy going with Doss home life and meeting with his wife, also his troubled relationship with his father. Before you kick into the action, the stuff in army boot camp are great but it's the two battles scenes and Doss rescuing the wounded that's when this is at it's very best. It's definitely not a easy sit through, some pretty gruesome stuff and I do think this is some of the best war stuff since Saving Private Ryan. Garfield really shines during the one man rescue of the wounded, it's gripping stuff.

It's must see on the big screen, probably Gibson's best film behind the camera too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

The Battles scenes where some of the most intense I have seen on Film.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Is this on in any big screens in Dublin? Most cinemas i've looked at are small

Advertisement