Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Mirror- Netflix [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well that was a weird and wonderful opening episode

Wasn't mad about Loch Henry - found most of the episode quite boring to just turn in to some timid

horror episode

Episode 3 was very predictable - hmm not loving this season so far, just random stories, past two episodes are stories already told elsewhere

Episode 4 - how is this a Black Mirror episode - terrible

Werewolves - really??? Not even a glimpse of tech bar an old modem loading screen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Most Black Mirror episodes aren't that good really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Do people actually watch them as a stand alone storyline? Surely the interest is in figuring out the different underlying meanings while watching and not necessarily the storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yeah

It was ok but not great, pretty much guessed where it was going early on unfortunately.

The lead girl I only know from Industry was meh, her weird eye brows distracted, the young male lead was excellent, I do love Monica Potter though a seriously underrated actress.

Lot of Easter eggs, his laptop sticker was the digital character who ran for election I think, the doc was on streamberry in the last episode, reference to the San junipero episode at the baftas, the callow years doc poster pretty sure the politician and the pig guy was called Callow, probably missed a few.

Liked episode 5 but this season has been sorely lacking "tech" - may as well change the show's title to British Horror Story

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The best ones are absolutely amazing. Last season thou didn't have an amazing episode so im trying to lower my expectations for this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

This really is a steaming pile of dung. Talk about flogging a dead and decaying horse

• Advertisement

Yeah, there's only ever a couple of really good ones per season surrounded by some stinkers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Well 3 episodes in and I might be in the minority here but really enjoying this season so far. I love the little easter egg references to the Black Mirror universe

Good breakdown for episodes 1 and 3 below for those interested

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I have only watched 1 and 2 so far, thought 1 was enjoyable and really liked Salma Hayek’s lines, but there was too much exposition and it ended up being less than the sum of its parts.

Thought episode 2 was fantastic though! Have long been a bit disturbed by people being obsessed with true crime. Monica Dolan was great, even though her accent was dodgy. Although why didn’t Pima have eyebrows, that was annoying and distracting 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As someone who has seen 1 epsiode of BM I think (the one about the PM riding the pig), could you recommend some of the amazing episodes so I can check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Damn that was a fine season not one weak episode of all 5 well crafted stories from Charlie Broker

I couldn't sleep last thinking about the ending of Beyond The Sea.

I thought Demon 79 was excellent they really captured the UK in the 70's and Loch Henry had a great ending

Mazey day made me smile with the call back to a classic practical effects scene of a certain movie I'll say no more.

Joan is Awful captures where we are heading with modern technology AI Streaming services.

Overall a big improvement over Season 5 I do hope we get a season 7 from Charlie Brooker in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

San Junipero is oft regarded as the best episode of the show.

Shut Up And Dance is also excellent.

White bear, USS callisar, and San Junipero are my fav's, they really stay with you. White Christmas, 15 million merrits and hang the DJ are also excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

San Junipero is my favourite by a long shot

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

For me the better Black Mirror episodes are relatively earlier in the series - IMO probably the best is 15 Million Merits. Other particularly good ones are Shut Up and Dance, White Bear, White Christmas, Crocodile and Metalhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Really enjoyed Demon 79 of this season. Loch Henry and Beyond the Sea were not bad either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Second that - Demon 79 was very a strong episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Have watched 3 so far.

Joan is Awful and Demon 79 were watchable but not classic black mirror episodes by a long stretch.

Loch Henry was much more up my street!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭crushproof

Watched the first 2, thought Loch Henry was a load of crap. Mediocre horror. The mothers accent was absolutely all over the place, just get a Scottish actor ffs!

I appreciate the angel the were going for in regards to the obsession with true crime but it was far too predictable an episode. Felt a talent like John Hannah was wasted as well, could have brought a lot more to the show.

I'll watch the rest but this certainly seems like the end of the line for Black Mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭DaSchmo

BM has been on the slide for years now, this really should have been taken out the back and shot by now - once it was the best thing on TV

It reminds me of a band with a couple of classic albums from the previous decade who are now phoning it in, trading on past glories, long since out of brilliant ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭TokTik

Agreed, thought this season was absolutely terrible bar the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

i think Brooker has mentioned they want to move away from the “tech can have bad unexpected consequences” to “people can be bad”. Most of this new season really isn’t much to do with tech.

I thought Joan is Awful was excellent and very much in the spirit of classic Black Mirror.

Demon 79 and Loch Henry were interesting and held my attention for their duration, so worthwhile viewing in that sense. Nothing amazing though.

I thought Mazey Days was fairly poor, not particularly rewatchable and not really trying to say anything interesting or that hasn’t been done better already.

Beyond the Sea - seeing mixed views on this one. Some people think this is incredible. I really thought it was poor tbh. Pretty predictable from early on which way it was going and a glaring plot hole that I couldn’t get my head around, spoiler below.

Why not send the replicas up in to space where it’s dangerous and have the humans safe back on earth?? I know they had to do it the way they did it in order to tell the story they wanted to tell here but it’s an immersion breaking stupid plot hole that doesn’t stand up to any scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Ha good point re the plot hole - can't remember if they made a brief vague argument as to why it needed to be that way...but if they had made a proper effort I might have remembered what it was!😅

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Started on this and thought the first two eps were pretty good. The third was very hit and miss though.

Moving away from the dark side of technology is moving away from what made black mirror so interesting.

Joan is awful was good, beyond the sea was good too but I think they should of went with a different ending. Loch Henry was ok and I found Mazey day and Demon 79 quite poor.

I went back and watched USS Callisar again now.. god I miss what BM use to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

For me, Loch Henry was by far the best episode of the season, but I think after waiting so long for new episodes, they should be consistently good. Mazey Days was the worst by some way.

Advertisement