Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Mirror- Netflix [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Because the founder/owner of all those other platforms are not personalities in the same way the founder of Facebook is - I know and am aware of near daily news stories about Marc Zuckerberg, but I couldn't tell you the name of the current owner or creator of twitter, that person is not as famous.

I will go with the concensus here of ep.1 being poor/too long, ep.3 being absolute garbage and ep.2 being the best of the bunch. It had the right blend of good performance, comedy and suspense to keep me watching, even if I did kind of see where it was going.

What I thought was interesting on ep.3 was
    i expected Billy Bonds or whatever his name was to be an obnoxious pr1ck, but to paint him as a regular guy who got lucky, in his own words "it was never suppose to be like this" was interesting.
    Its similar to anyone with an idea that the corporate machine gets hold of, before you know it there is an army of people making tonnes of cash off it and the wheel gotta keep turning. Obviously Zuckerberg may be a complete cock, but i thought it was a suprising direction to bring the character for a show that usually peddling the scarier side of tech

I will look forward to the next season, and hopefully 2 of the 3 next time are of at least the quality of smithereens.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Because the founder/owner of all those other platforms are not personalities in the same way the founder of Facebook is - I know and am aware of near daily news stories about Marc Zuckerberg, but I couldn't tell you the name of the current owner or creator of twitter, that person is not as famous.

I think this character was actually more based on Jack Dorsey of twitter than on Zuckerberg. But the website was obviously more like Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Greyfox

For S5 Smitherenes was really good and the other 2 were good, nothing dark or disturbing which was a little disappointing. this season there was no unforgettable episodes like USS Calissar or White bear and no rubbish episodes like metalhead or crookadile.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

After seeing a lot of people giving out about the third one I watched it with low expectations and thought it was good fun, when you see what the aunt is doing and why she is doing it, thought that was pretty dark in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Everything in BM seems to revolve around memory/brain thieving and devices that attach to the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Be Right Back???
    That's easily top 5 possibly the best one!

That's season 2, Season one ep 1 is the one with the pig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Be Right Back???
    That's easily top 5 possibly the best one!

National Anthem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

After seeing a lot of people giving out about the third one I watched it with low expectations and thought it was good fun, when you see what the aunt is doing and why she is doing it, thought that was pretty dark in itself.

Yeh it was fine. Nothing special but not bad. I think the show isn’t as dark as it used to be and maybe the fans of the older episodes should realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Cordell

Also it's a fighting game they go into, you should only be able to do the moves that those characters can perform. It's like they can fight, or have completely transcendent sexual intercourse? Wtf! These are children's games. Feels weird that it would be allowed and legal to make that game. That might be too nitpicky a point though.

Actually it makes perfect sense to be allowed to do that in that kind of game: First of all, that kind of game will be 18+ because of the real fight and real pain and real injures involved (real as in simulated reality but still, feeling quite real).
    Second, the technology, and here I make some assumptions, it's not developed by the game developers, but it's licensed from a 3rd party, as it's too expensive to develop it just for a single game, since it's a full immersion next gen VR. So the tech itself will harvest the brain power to generate all imagery and sensations, including sex, and all this features will be inherently enabled. If a game developer want to not have sex featured in their game then they will need to do the extra work to disable it, but what will be the incentive to do that? The game it's already for mature audiences, and if they want to do it let them do it, or they will buy the one that does.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

The gay/not gay storyline could have played out in 30 minutes instead of an hour which is my main gripe with that.

Yea my main feeling from the episode was that the writer woke up from a dream with the line in his head
    "I mean come on I fkd a polar bear and I still can not get you out of my head."
    and the entire episode was then created just to exist as a place holder for that one line.

In fairness though, it was a funny line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,265 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ah, I didn't realise the rest of the character's music (in addition to the one I mentioned above) were 'chirpified' versions of NiN songs (though neither of the mentioned songs are from The Downward Spiral as such) https://www.nme.com/news/music/miley-cyrus-full-version-black-mirror-reworking-nine-inch-nails-coming-2505813

One of my favourite ever songs is Right where it belongs, i think the best version is this one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Akrasia wrote: »
    One of my favourite ever songs is Right where it belongs, i think the best version is this one

I've probably been familiar with only a couple of their songs (+ nice OTT thrashing for Bowie's Hallo Spaceboy on stage), despite buying the Downward Spiral way back when there were CDs on the basis of, eh, Closer :p (nothing else on it stuck). Interesting indeed to hear a 'subtler' number from them, with the tension from the 'fuzz' effect welling up towards the end.

*sheepishly replaces Black Mirror thread on rails*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Utter shite that 3rd episode made even worse by Miley Cyrus, very annoying. IF it had of been anyone else I probably would have enjoyed it!

First 2 were not too bad. All 3 episodes kind of repeating themes from previous season.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

For me the dissappointing thing is that Charlie Brooker has been fairly low profile for the last few years, cancelling yearly wipe etc and the reason is that hes been working on black mirror. The episodes arent that bad, but theres only three of them and they dont seem particularly inspired.

I get that he has a young family and creative people can lose steam etc, but the big dissappointment is having less Brooker rather than the episodes being objectively bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

For me the dissappointing thing is that Charlie Brooker has been fairly low profile for the last few years, cancelling yearly wipe etc and the reason is that hes been working on black mirror. The episodes arent that bad, but theres only three of them and they dont seem particularly inspired.

I get that he has a young family and creative people can lose steam etc, but the big dissappointment is having less Brooker rather than the episodes being objectively bad.

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'd much rather he ditched 'Black Mirror' and got back to his "wipe" shows. They were far more entertaining.

There's about three 'Black Mirror' episodes that I'd call good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think Russel T Davie's totally out-did him this year with Years and Years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The move to Netflix has been bad for Black mirror, without the structure of a TV hour the episodes meander too much taking 20+ minutes to get the core concept going.

Striking Vipers good concept when they get there, but the ending happens too quickly then and a lot of meh in the middle.

Smithereens was good but it needed people constantly on their phones throughout the stand off to then walk away at the end the viral sensation of that event wasn't built up enough. and with thoughts and prayers being posted as people quickly forget would have been a better mirroring of today's society.

Mileys was grand decent concept but just takes too long. The technology of her in the coma should have been the central story, girl gets doll Mikey gets drugged should brake 10-15 minutes then the next 15 the pain and torture mining a brain would be like, then the save. And where's the comeuppance fall out

They are just so bloated and for no good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 16,094 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I think I'm gonna get stuck into this show cos I'm currently paying a tenner a month for Netflix and barely watching it. Any recommendations on episodes/series to start with?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I think I'm gonna get stuck into this show cos I'm currently paying a tenner a month for Netflix and barely watching it. Any recommendations on episodes/series to start with?
    Umm. S01E01 (The National Anthem) would be the logical start!

To be honest, episodes are self-contained so you could start anywhere.

You could also use something like this and pick the best one and work back: https://www.vulture.com/2016/10/every-black-mirror-episode-from-worst-to-best.html

Although San Junipero at #6? G'way and sh*te!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,094 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Basq wrote: »
    Umm. S01E01 (The National Anthem) would be the logical start!

To be honest, episodes are self-contained so you could start anywhere.

You could also use something like this and pick the best one and work back: https://www.vulture.com/2016/10/every-black-mirror-episode-from-worst-to-best.html

Although San Junipero at #6? G'way and sh*te!

Cheers. I was looking at a few of those lists. The episode 1s seem to feature prominently so I might start there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Cheers. I was looking at a few of those lists. The episode 1s seem to feature prominently so I might start there.

Shut up and dance

That's an episode not an order

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That Vulture list contains some very divisive episodes in its top 10. One of many reasons why I'd be wary of best of lists. They'll also encourage you to watch episodes like San Junipero first that you won't fully appreciate without experiencing some of the earlier episodes.

I'd start from the beginning but maybe skip 1x01 and go back to it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

That list is terrible and contains a lot of spoilers. I'd just watch from the start. Maybe, as the above poster said, skip the first episode, us it's pretty unrepresentative of what Black Mirror really is.

The best way to watch Black Mirror imo is to know nothing about the episodes, so you go into each episode with an open mind and have to figure it out as you go along. I avoid even reading the synopsis of the episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Will this be on Quibi lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭corkie

Because the links don't open in browser firefox.

I had to open new tabs and encountered an account verification with twitter.

Instead of sending a text message, they want to verify by a phone call.

First attempt, I didn't accept the call. Subsequent attempts failed.

Now logged out of my account and have to try again later.

It plays in to the thread tittle very well?

Edit: - 22/12 19:41 ~~ Got my twitter account sorted.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

here's the youtube link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The weirdest thing about 'Death To 2020'..

ELxt-LU6-Wk-AU96v-T.jpg

^ This lad directed it..

Advertisement