Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JC assessment English (NEW)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Yes I do agree that the CBA is only a snapshot but think of the work you and you're department are after doing in order to complete that CBA and now you have to set and correct a class set or more. It also sets a precedent for the other departments - are the English and Business departments also giving exams??

Yes, we all decided to give exams, I know it’s extra work but we all felt that the CBA wasn’t an accurate way to evaluate what the students know. Can see what people think in relation to not doing tests but feel the benefit to the students outweighs this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Moody_mona wrote: »
    This has been a killer, I didn't anticipate how much time would be spent on cba related activities, it ended up being far more than three weeks.

And the stress!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Yes, the stress of the students has been a big issue. I hope as these CBAs becomes more commonplace that the drama attached to them settles down. Otherwise it's impossible to imagine students coping with these assessments across all subjects - many did not cope with three sets in 2nd Year this year. And many parents have been a nightmare over these CBAs so that will need to be addressed.

The loss of tuition time is a big problem. I don't know how Maths teachers will be expected to deal with this given that even the NCCA accepts the course is too long to realistically cover as it is. It's unthinkable that CBAs will be added on top of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Yes, the stress of the students has been a big issue. I hope as these CBAs becomes more commonplace that the drama attached to them settles down. Otherwise it's impossible to imagine students coping with these assessments across all subjects - many did not cope with three sets in 2nd Year this year. And many parents have been a nightmare over these CBAs so that will need to be addressed.

The loss of tuition time is a big problem. I don't know how Maths teachers will be expected to deal with this given that even the NCCA accepts the course is too long to realistically cover as it is. It's unthinkable that CBAs will be added on top of this.

Wait until every subject has a CBA and schools have decided to have exams as well - poor second year students don't deserve that much pressure. Nor do we. The quicker this JCT gets binned the better!!!

Advertisement