Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2016 UK import - step by step

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi folks,

Have our VRT appointment this weekend.

Quick question that someone may be able to help me with:

Is it possible to split the cost of the VRT across two debits cards?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Gryire

You mean autotraders uk with selecting NI cars only? I can't find separate website for NI only

http://www.usedcarsni.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Have our VRT appointment this weekend.

Quick question that someone may be able to help me with:

Is it possible to split the cost of the VRT across two debits cards?

Cheers

It is possible. You can also mix payments, bank draft with debit card, or credit card with extra fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭chases0102

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think Revenue are too fussy as long as they receive payment in full. I think the only thing they don't accept is cash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Is there any problem sorting UK tax over there without a UK address?

The DVLA website should have instructions on how to tax a car online. Afaik a non resident can do this, otherwise ask the dealer to do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Sorry for hijacking but looking at a Prius 2013 bringing from England but it's originally imported from Japan , just wondering would it his give me additional problems when declaring and paying vrt ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

STG£ is strengthening on news on a possible non Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

STG£ is strengthening on news on a possible non Brexit.

Yep - bad news! Looks like there wont be any chance of it unless the UK gov successfully appeal the High Court decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭theaaao

bazz26 wrote: »
    The DVLA website should have instructions on how to tax a car online. Afaik a non resident can do this, otherwise ask the dealer to do it for you.

Dealer did this for me before we left garage. Had it done in less than 5 mins. I think the biggest issue you (and myself) will have is claiming the road tax back! £61 to drive to the ferry!

Lads I don't have a utility bill in my name for the VRT appointment. Phone is with 48 months and they'd don't issue invoices according to a quick google.

Would they accept car insurance as proof of address?
    Otherwise I'd have to use revenue slip to confirm address. In that case would they accept health insurance for proof of my PPS number?

Also, for anyone looking to book in Cork centre at the moment, online slots are gone. Ring them up and get put on the priority list. They told me they'd ring me Monday with an appointment slot which would take place in the next 10 days. Luckily I only landed yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭An Ard Ri

There is no problem, the dealer will do it online. You can reclaim is part using part 4 of the V5C when you get home. If you are heading straight to the ferry the dealer might 'forget' to get you to tax it. Didn't work in my case an had to pay 6 months tax!
    Pacifico wrote: »
    Is there any problem sorting UK tax over there without a UK address?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Guys,
    Does that gov.uk website not show mileage on Northern cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Guys,
    Does that gov.uk website not show mileage on Northern cars?
    Nope..

theaaao wrote: »
    Lads I don't have a utility bill in my name for the VRT appointment. Phone is with 48 months and they'd don't issue invoices according to a quick google.
    Would they accept car insurance as proof of address?
    Otherwise I'd have to use revenue slip to confirm address. In that case would they accept health insurance for proof of my PPS number?

No, they don't. You need utility bill, if you don't have it, go to your bank and request resent statement, get it stamped by the bank. Proof of PPS can be original PPS letter, any revenue letters on official paper, etc; health insurance won't be accepted. Good luck.

Denisoftus wrote: »
    No, they don't. You need utility bill, if you don't have it, go to your bank and request resent statement, get it stamped by the bank. Proof of PPS can be original PPS letter, any revenue letters on official paper, etc; health insurance won't be accepted. Good luck.

Thanks Denis. Would it be enough to get current statement I have from back stamped by them? Might have appointment next week and would be weary on how long it will take to get new statement out to me on post.

As far as I can make out from the site, you need
    1. Passport or drivers license for the photo ID saying you are who you are.
    2. Bank statement for proof of address
    3. Revenue statement for proof of your PPS

Is this enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Moggaman

Hi. I am buying from a private seller in the U.K. Next week. I see mentioned that a receipt is necessary. Is that simply a handwritten note from the seller with the amount and signed by both.
    Also do I need anything special at Holyhead or do they ask you anything?. Car is MOTed and Taxed.

Moggaman wrote: »
    Hi. I am buying from a private seller in the U.K. Next week. I see mentioned that a receipt is necessary. Is that simply a handwritten note from the seller with the amount and signed by both.
    Also do I need anything special at Holyhead or do they ask you anything?. Car is MOTed and Taxed.

I've read on here about people writing up an invoice in front of the revenue people.
    Have a read through the previous threads but I think they're more interested in when the car was brought into the country. Something signed by the seller should be fine.

I got stopped and searched at the Holyhead port alright. Random I think. But they never asked me for ID or anything. Just to open the boot. Landed in dublin then and was asked by a guard for my nationality. Said i was Irish and he never blinked even while I was driving an English reg.

theaaao wrote: »
    Thanks Denis. Would it be enough to get current statement I have from back stamped by them? Might have appointment next week and would be weary on how long it will take to get new statement out to me on post.

As far as I can make out from the site, you need
    1. Passport or drivers license for the photo ID saying you are who you are.
    2. Bank statement for proof of address
    3. Revenue statement for proof of your PPS

Is this enough?

If you have enough time to wait, yes order statement to be posted, if not go to the bank print it and ask them to stamp it, this should be enough. You right, you need all three from the list, see below:
    You bring your PPS number (on official documentation only) and proof of identity i.e. passport, driving licence.
    6. Documentation verifying the new registered owner's name and address. The following documents will only be accepted: P60, Bank/Financial Institution Statement, Credit Card Statement, Payslip with address, Utility bill (Electricity, Gas, TV Service Provider eg SKY, UPC, Landline phone bill and Mobile Telephone (Bill pay only)). Please note original documentation will only be accepted and must be no older than 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Hi, does anyone know if I have to pay vrt or change over plates on uk car if I am renting a house in Northern Ireland and working in the south?

I am moving to Northern Ireland in the new year, going to be renting, it's close to the border and I will be living there but working in the south?

I am looking at buying a uk car but confused as to I will be still working in the south but residing in the north?

I would appreciate any advise.

Thanks

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 22,031 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Where will you be paying income tax?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

I'll be paying income tax in the south
    Esel wrote: »
    Where will you be paying income tax?

Revenue have various rules around what they consider Irish residency, not just where you pay your tax. You also need to be in the country xxx number of days per year afaik. This information should be on the Revenue's website somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

Was reading as well here about lads pretending they are living over when buying car in order not to give the seller the upper hand negotiation wise, but I assume you've to give seller your Irish address for reg cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 magic123

guys ,quick one for you.i booked for vrt next week.do i need to pay vrt during inspection o i can pay it lets say next day ?thanks

You have 30 days from the date you brought the car into the country to pay the VRT and transfer the car over to Irish plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

sm3ar wrote: »
    Was reading as well here about lads pretending they are living over when buying car in order not to give the seller the upper hand negotiation wise, but I assume you've to give seller your Irish address for reg cert?

DVLA will only send the cert to a UK address.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 magic123

bazz26 wrote: »
    You have 30 days from the date you brought the car into the country to pay the VRT and transfer the car over to Irish plates.

Yeah i know that. I was just wondering about payment itself. Calculator says one number they can get another. And vrt which i will be paying near 4k.

• Advertisement

magic123 wrote: »
    Yeah i know that. I was just wondering about payment itself. Calculator says one number they can get another. And vrt which i will be paying near 4k.

What I said still applies.

Once you have had your VRT inspection you have the balance of the 30 days to complete the Irish registration process including paying the VRT. You will not be issued an Irish registration number until the VRT is paid. After the 30 days are up then you are liable to VRT fines based on a daily rate as a percentage of the VRT amount afaik.

Advertisement