Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Best Superhero TV Actor!

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Grant Gustin gets the win and secures his spot in our Grand Final. Time now for the second semi-final to determine who will be his opponent...

Charlie Cox (Daredevil)

67fd4a539cb1198e3cdc1000759be9bc2b82904d821dc480266f553e4adf487b.jpg

VS

Hayley Atwell (Agent Carter)

54e7b1c43a169.jpg

It's Charlie Cox, who plays the title role in Daredevil, versus Hayley Atwell, who plays the title role in Agent Carter.

Which one do you think should reach the final? First to 5 votes advances.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hayley Atwell

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Hayley Atwell

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Hayley Atwell

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Thibus

Charlie Cox

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Charlie Cox.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Charlie Cox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Charlie Cox

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Charlie cox

One of the most dramatic turnarounds I've seen in any of these tournaments as Charlie Cox comes from 3-0 down to take 5 votes on the trot and reach the final.

We now have our two finalists. I will shortly post up details of the final so stay tuned. :cool:

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement

Here it is...the final battle...

Having started with 64 of the finest superhero actors to have graced the small screen, we have gradually whittled that number down, round by round, in order to reach this point: our Grand Final.

Now it is over to you to determine which of these actors is our forum's favourite. Just like previous tournaments, to ensure as much involvement as possible, in this final we will have a 24 hour time limit for receiving votes. Simply put, the superhero actor with the most votes by this time tomorrow will take the glory.

(Note - as usual, in the event it's a tie after the time limit expires then I will do a Ceann Comhairle job and cast a vote to break the deadlock.)

So then, let us take a closer look at our two TV actors...

Grant Gustin (The Flash)

Path to the Final

Rd 1 - Defeated David Jason
    Rd 2 - Defeated Lou Ferrigno
    Rd of 16 - Defeated John Wesley Shipp
    Q-Finals - Defeated Clark Gregg
    S-Finals - Defeated Ming-Na Wen

VS

Charlie Cox (Daredevil)

Path to the Final

Rd 1 - Defeated Ardal O'Hanlon
    Rd 2 - Defeated Lee Majors
    Rd of 16 - Defeated Adam West
    Q-Finals - Defeated Jon Bernthal
    S-Finals - Defeated Hayley Atwell

It's Grant Gustin, who stars in the title role of The Flash, versus Charlie Cox, who stars in the title role of Daredevil.

Two actors who have gained their respective shows a huge following due to their performances, but only one can be our winner. In this DC vs Marvel showdown, which one will have your support?

Cast your vote now within 24 hours of our final deadline which I am going to set officially as Monday, August 8th, 11:00 p.m. The actor with the most votes when the time limit expires shall be our champion.

So folks, for the final time, I ask you: cast your votes now!

Grant Gustin

Grant Gustin

Grant Gustin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Charlie Cox.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Grant Gustin.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Charlie Cox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I love Grant in the role but I'm going to go with Charlie Cox, his performance has floored me. Genuinely wasn't expecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Thibus

Grant Gustin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Charlie Cox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Gotta go Grant Gustin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Charlie Cox

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Two great actors for their roles.

But I have to go with Grant Gustin. He has to put in a more varied performance than Charlie in terms of range and over a longer season.

Well folks, it is now time to reveal the winner of our Best Superhero TV Actor tournament which began with 64 of the small screen's most notable talent and which was gradually whittled down to just two names: Grant Gustin and Charlie Cox.

Your votes have been cast and I can now confirm that the winner of our Grand Final is...

Grant Gustin!

fla218b-0150b-176673.jpg

Yes it is the star of The Flash who gets the glory and who prevails in the Marvel vs DC showdown.

In the early stages it looked like it could be a rout as Gustin raced into a 3-0 lead; that was pegged back to 3-1 as Cox got on the board but then Gustin got another vote as it became 4-1. Then, however, a Cox fightback started as 4-1 became 4-2 and then 4-3.

Gustin's supporters would bring some breathing space to make it 5-3 but Cox's fans would respond and make it 5-4. The tie was finely poised now but Gustin's following were there for him again: 6-4 the new score. But Cox's fans hadn't deserted their choice: 6-5 now. The next vote would prove crucial...and it would go Gustin's way.

7-5 to Grant Gustin it would finish. Gustin just had that bit more support needed to see it home.

Had I been called on to give a vote in the event of a tie, I would have cast my vote for Gustin. While I like both actors, I feel Gustin brings a great deal of warmth to his role that I haven't seen too many superhero actors be able to pull off.

That then concludes this tournament and I enjoyed watching this one unfold and thought we got some interesting debates going, plus we had some very close ties especially near the end. Thanks once again to everyone for participating.

What's next?

This tournament will be my last one of these for a while as I don't think I'll be able to commit to it properly right now.

If others on the forum wish to take on the mantle they are welcome to give it a go. Some possible options for future games could be:

'Best Overall Superhero Actor' - combine the names from the Film and TV Actors tournament to determine the best overall one.

'Best Superhero Theme song' - self-explanatory.

'Best Superhero Game' - unsure if you'd get 64 options here but it might work on a smaller scale.

I'm sure there are a good few more ideas that can be tried which I haven't thought of.

The way I've tended to work the format of these has been:
    Rd 1 - 32 ties total - 3 votes needed to advance
    Rd 2 - 16 ties total - 3 votes needed to advance
    Rd of 16 - 8 ties total - 4 votes needed to advance
    Q-Finals - 4 ties total - 4 votes needed to advance
    S-Finals - 2 ties total - 5 votes needed to advance
    Final - 1 match - 24 hour timeline with the winner having most votes

Of course other methods could be tried.

I'll still be visiting and might even try participating in any new games. :cool:

Cheers folks.

Again great job Mr.Nice Guy thanks for all the work you put into it.

Thanks Mr.Nice Guy - it was another epic tournament. Really enjoyed it and happy to see Grant Gustin take the victory.

Delighted that Gustin won it, he really does bring a sense of humanity to the role. I think he has gone from strength to strength as the show has developed and it is one of my most anticipated weekly watches.

Advertisement