Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why do we have an army equitation team ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

John_D80 wrote: »
    You managed to be so vague and broad that you didn't really answer the question or even give examples of what you are trying to say.

With regard to your point about pay, you do know that for most overseas missions undertaken by the Defence Forces, the majority bill/cost is footed by agencies/organisations such as the UN etc, don't you? Not all I'll admit, but most.

Personally myself I have seen first hand the gains gotten from foreign assignments in the countless lives that have been safeguarded by the good work overseas of Irish men and women. Ask the thousdands of people that were pulled out of the Mediteranean recently by my comrades in the Naval Service.

Oh but wait, did you mean that because we as a nation (ie: you) don't directly benefit then we should just let those less fortunate than us to starve/die/be persecuted? **delete as appropriate**

And for your info, resentment/hostility towards Ireland as a nation is nowhere near as likely as gratitude and goodwill.

We as a civilised, democratic nation are so fortunate to have the means at our disposal (ie: our defence forces) to assist those less fortunate in their time of need and we have a duty and responsibility to do just that whenever and wherever we can.

Anywho, did somebody say something about horses? Apologies for going OT.
    Risking the lives of Irish personnel cannot be justified for these foreign assignments. The UN contribution cannot replace a lost life or limb and from a business perspective, it is the height of stupidity to send the defense forces abroad simply because of a stipend from the UN. The totality of the cost cannot be justified.

As for the rescue missions in the med, I think it is not the best use of resources but the reasons are too long, complicated and off topic to include here.

I would be inclined to favor abandoning the Irish equestrian team on the grounds that the private sector are capable of representing Ireland in that sport at no cost to the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The whole concern of soldiering is overseas service. That's where you learn the lessons that focus the training you do at home. Even without the "stipend" from the UN, in order for the defence forces to retain and enhance capabilities, it's vital that we maintain troops overseas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I swear if some people on boards had their way our army would consist of 5 lads with wooden rifles who'd have to shout "BANG BANG" everytime they fired and who wouldnt be allowed out of the shed that would be our new Defence HQ in case they incur any costs for travel.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

I swear if some people on boards had their way our army would consist of 5 lads with wooden rifles who'd have to shout "BANG BANG" everytime they fired and who wouldnt be allowed out of the shed that would be our new Defence HQ in case they incur any costs for travel.:rolleyes:

'Tis nothing new Pablo.
    If such people did their homework they'd find that our Military UN Service costs this State nothing, in fact it's a great little money-spinner for the Government. It simply 'kills' some folks that our soldiers are so highly regarded the world over since our UN Service began in the late 1950s. Highly thought of everywhere, except Ireland.

Reminds me of a newspaper advert when I was a (half starved) Army recruit in the Curragh in the mid 1960s.

'FOR SALE' small potatoes. Fit for pigs or Army use.'

They went down well with the horse-meat.

Only the best for our boys in uniform...not
    :D:D:D:D

The whole concern of soldiering is overseas service. That's where you learn the lessons that focus the training you do at home. Even without the "stipend" from the UN, in order for the defence forces to retain and enhance capabilities, it's vital that we maintain troops overseas.
    ... or to put it another way "armies don`t exist for peace" to quote Hitler. There is nothing that can be learned abroad that cannot be learned in Ireland. Most wheat consumed in this country has to be imported, we don`t all go abroad every time we want a sandwich or a bowl of cornflakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

... or to put it another way "armies don`t exist for peace" to quote Hitler. There is nothing that can be learned abroad that cannot be learned in Ireland. Most wheat consumed in this country has to be imported, we don`t all go abroad every time we want a sandwich or a bowl of cornflakes.

If you think that's an appropriate analogy I'm not prepared to engage with you.

Why does this not surprise me. One can have narrow constrained thought patterns or one can think outside the box and beyond the status quo. I find conventional wisdom to be despairingly ubiquitous in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I was wondering why you bothered in the first place.

I've learned to ignore people like that, you won't change their thoughts and opinions. They'll never experience what we who have served have experienced.

I just don't bother my hole with them.

They'll never experience what we who have served have experienced.
    Self pity is such a waste of time. You`ve come to the wrong shop for sympathy brother. I recommend work to cheer you up. Do something productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,240 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Presumably you can substantiate this claim based on your vast experience?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Self pity is such a waste of time. You`ve come to the wrong shop for sympathy brother. I recommend work to cheer you up. Do something productive.

Yea, save me the bullshit.

There's a saying in the army, you're hardly worth repeating it for but I will.

It goes;

"If you're looking for sympathy you'll find it somewhere between shit & syphilis in the dictionary", and I've certainly not looked for it here or anywhere else in the last thirty one years of my service both at home and abroad.

So IMO you can take your bleeding hearted, left wing, hippy hysterical crap & shove it where the sun don't shine :D

Yea, save me the bullshit.

There's a saying in the army, you're hardly worth repeating it for but I will.

It goes;

"If you're looking for sympathy you'll find it somewhere between shit & syphilis in the dictionary", and I've certainly not looked for it here or anywhere else in the last thirty one years of my service both at home and abroad.

So IMO you can take your bleeding hearted, left wing, hippy hysterical crap & shove it where the sun don't shine :D

Sounds like you are having a hard time re-integrating to civilized society ... but here is a piece of advice from that old Shirley Temple song: You`ve got to S-M-I-L-E to be H-A-P-P-Y :)

Advertisement