Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine.ie LTE Broadband in Clare

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No chance of this coming to West Clare? Broadband really is ****e back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Im with Imagine LTE and living just outside of NOF. In terms of signal quality, i'm getting 90 MB consistantly. The transmitter on Ben Dash has a good line of sight across the Fergus estuary.
    My options were 3MB with usual suspects until god knows when Eir improve their infrastructure, or the 90MB that Im getting; the price differential wasnt really an issue, since my primary goal was for a good broadband service. The free phonecalls was just an added bonus
    Thanks for the reply pappa. I have contacted imagine and provisionally signed on with them subject to getting the minimum 30mb signal. Going by their map I'm literally on the outer limits. I'm not confident that I'll get the required signal. Do you mind me asking howclose to the village are you? I'm about 4 miles away as the crow flies. ... if this doesn't work I'm resigned to eir which only supplies about 3 to 5mb on our road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks for the reply pappa. I have contacted imagine and provisionally signed on with them subject to getting the minimum 30mb signal. Going by their map I'm literally on the outer limits. I'm not confident that I'll get the required signal. Do you mind me asking howclose to the village are you? I'm about 4 miles away as the crow flies. ... if this doesn't work I'm resigned to eir which only supplies about 3 to 5mb on our road.

Which side of Newmarket are you living?
    Ben Dash is definitely good to Urlanmore on the West side and further east also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

South side I'm afraid. As i say, going by their map, I'm on the outer limits. I have my fingers crossed. ...... My plan would be to sign up to this and ditch my sky tv in favour of a dream box or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pappa lazarou

Hi Opinionated, Im lucky in that Im at the Latoon side of NOF, and therefore pretty much an uninterrupted signal to the transmitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭orlaithd12

I'm considering signing up with Imagine LTE who are in our area near Clooney.
    Our current speed with Eir is. 8 of 1 mb, Imagine say they're offering us a minimum of 30mb, with a maximum of 70mb.... Apparently they wont connect you if the speed is less than 30 mb.
    We would love to use the VOIP landline option as well, but we'd love to find out how others find them... We don't want to cancel our landline / broadband with Eir until we know we're happy with Imagine.
    There is a 14 day cooling off the period, I'm wondering how this works, if you're not happy within that time, do you get the €100/150 connection fee back, and are there any problems cancelling direct debit with them?
    I'd love to hear from anyone who has had recent experiences with Imagine.

Thanks,

Órlaith.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TraderJoe

Hello Imagine in kilmaley users, just wondering how your speeds are now that a few months have passed? I joined back in November 2016 and was thrilled with the service getting up to 60-90mb during the day and 30-40 at night. Just like all service providers it seems that they have over subscribed the network, as now I am doing well to get 20-25 during the day and tonight 3-4mb

http://speedof.me/show.php?img=170606211308-7217.png

http://testmy.net/soIpmO9eG.png

So is it just me or are others having similar results?

orlaithd12 wrote: »
    Imagine say they're offering us a minimum of 30mb, with a maximum of 70mb.... Apparently they wont connect you if the speed is less than 30 mb.

That is what I was told to, it was great at the beginning but as you may see from my last post, things have changed and not for the better. You will also need a direct line of sight to the mast for the best performance, so if there are trees or buildings blocking you, it will not be as good.
    The day the guys cams to install it for me, the neighbors trees were blocking the direct line of sight to the mast, and the speed was just about 25 -28mb and they installed.
    I asked the neighbors if I could trim their tree tops and they very kindly allowed me to cut the tops off the trees, I just needed 5 feet to see the mast but i cut 15 feet off just to be sure it would be clear for some years! After that my speed went up by double figures, but it was the early days of imagine in the area and I presume not to many subscribers.

The only thing I an say it is still better than eircom for broadband, I do not use the voip so cant comment on that.
    But if the fiber ever is rolled out I will drop imagine like a hot spud, 60euro a month is expensive for 4-5 mb in the evening, but after leaving eircom's 2-300Kbs evening service I know I should not be complaining:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

TraderJoe wrote: »
    That is what I was told to, it was great at the beginning but as you may see from my last post, things have changed and not for the better. You will also need a direct line of sight to the mast for the best performance, so if there are trees or buildings blocking you, it will not be as good.
    The day the guys cams to install it for me, the neighbors trees were blocking the direct line of sight to the mast, and the speed was just about 25 -28mb and they installed.
    I asked the neighbors if I could trim their tree tops and they very kindly allowed me to cut the tops off the trees, I just needed 5 feet to see the mast but i cut 15 feet off just to be sure it would be clear for some years! After that my speed went up by double figures, but it was the early days of imagine in the area and I presume not to many subscribers.

The only thing I an say it is still better than eircom for broadband, I do not use the voip so cant comment on that.
    But if the fiber ever is rolled out I will drop imagine like a hot spud, 60euro a month is expensive for 4-5 mb in the evening, but after leaving eircom's 2-300Kbs evening service I know I should not be complaining:p

il check mine when i get home in about 40 mins and let u know . i haven't done a speed check in ages so i dont know . i do find that the standard router/modem they supply is crap though it keeps resetting or freezing . does that ever happen you ?

Hello Imagine in kilmaley users, just wondering how your speeds are now that a few months have passed? I joined back in November 2016 and was thrilled with the service getting up to 60-90mb during the day and 30-40 at night. Just like all service providers it seems that they have over subscribed the network, as now I am doing well to get 20-25 during the day and tonight 3-4mb

http://speedof.me/show.php?img=170606211308-7217.png

http://testmy.net/soIpmO9eG.png

So is it just me or are others having similar results?

im in the kilmaley area just got this result 6357163624.png

• Advertisement

bit different when i use the other testers you used but still not bad

http://testmy.net/i69WYK8Rs.fNu0XnLYj.png

https://speedof.me/show.php?img=170607000621-5015.png

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Some of those testers only test port 80 which will often be the fastest port on some broadband suppliers, try using https or use https://switcher.ie/broadband/speed-test/

im in the kilmaley area just got this result 6357163624.png

Well that is surprising to me, looks like yours is still as good as the day it was installed. Im in Inch and about 7km from the mast on Ben Dash, are you closer I wonder? or does it make a difference, I remember seeing a post on boards here somewhere and the guy was getting 70+mb over near Dromoland or the estuary and had a clear line to Ben Dash which was 20km or more.

I have the white modem, model WVRTR-126GN no brand written on it, Gemtek comes to mind, but I do not see it resetting, I have seen it loose signal only once since I got it but it came back after 5 minutes. Other than that it seems stable, I dont really use the wifi, always have a wired connection, its left right beside my PC

Maybe I should give them a call, but did that before with a query about cost of billing for phone calls and still haven't heard anything back after 3 months!

Thanks for you update anyway.

Well that is surprising to me, looks like yours is still as good as the day it was installed. Im in Inch and about 7km from the mast on Ben Dash, are you closer I wonder? or does it make a difference, I remember seeing a post on boards here somewhere and the guy was getting 70+mb over near Dromoland or the estuary and had a clear line to Ben Dash which was 20km or more.

I have the white modem, model WVRTR-126GN no brand written on it, Gemtek comes to mind, but I do not see it resetting, I have seen it loose signal only once since I got it but it came back after 5 minutes. Other than that it seems stable, I dont really use the wifi, always have a wired connection, its left right beside my PC

Maybe I should give them a call, but did that before with a query about cost of billing for phone calls and still haven't heard anything back after 3 months!

Thanks for you update anyway.

i can see ben dash when i look out the back of my house . according to google maps im exactly 6km away . i will say its not always that fast . that test was done around midnight on a wired connection . wifi will be slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

i can see ben dash when i look out the back of my house . according to google maps im exactly 6km away . i will say its not always that fast . that test was done around midnight on a wired connection . wifi will be slower.

wifi speed can be seriously impacted by the house and the hardware used.

Always quote speed checks done over a good wired connection.

wifi speed can be seriously impacted by the house and the hardware used.

Always quote speed checks done over a good wired connection.

I did . They were all done on a wired connection

Advertisement