Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine.ie LTE Broadband in Clare

Options
  • 23-07-2016 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

anyone using imagine broadband in clare ? i see they have expanded their services into the rural areas that have little or no other options . how do you find them or have you heard anything about them ?

im out in kilmaley and my broadband if you can call it that is god awful . download on a good day is 3mb but the upload is the real kicker . max ive ever seen is 0.10mb ususally 0.05mb:( it makes everything so slow so if imagine with their up to 70mb would even give me 10 mb that would be huge ? any advice would be welcomed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The girlfriend's family have it and are happy. They won't install if they can't get at least 30mb. Ring them and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The Ben Dash mast is live so you should get a good signal from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jimmac

In the Kilmaley area and getting it installed on Tues after the August bank holiday. They say that I can get the 70mb package so we will see when its up and running. I am with Ripplecom for the last number of years and while I cant fault them, Imagine have blown them out of the water with this offer.
    Ripplecom: 8mbps Download ( which is normally 3mbps) 150Gb per month limit and €1 per Gb over that -€54.99 per month
    Imagine: 70mbps Download and 20Gb per day which is 600Gb per month and VOIP phone for €59.99 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Jimmac wrote: »
    In the Kilmaley area and getting it installed on Tues after the August bank holiday. They say that I can get the 70mb package so we will see when its up and running. I am with Ripplecom for the last number of years and while I cant fault them, Imagine have blown them out of the water with this offer.
    Ripplecom: 8mbps Download ( which is normally 3mbps) 150Gb per month limit and €1 per Gb over that -€54.99 per month
    Imagine: 70mbps Download and 20Gb per day which is 600Gb per month and VOIP phone for €59.99 per month.

Let me know how you get on . Id be interested to see what kind of speeds you get. Apparently if they cant get over 30mbps they wont install it

Any update Jimmac?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 TraderJoe

I would also like to know how the install went and speeds you are getting Jimmac,

Hi SpannerMonkey I'm in the inch area and have literally pulled my hair out with Eir over the last several years. I have recently (6-7 weeks ago) got myself a unlocked modem and installed a Three sim card and it is going just ok, during the day I can get up to 4-6 mb download and over 10-12mb upload, yes you read that right, the upload is twice as fast as download on most days! Saying that the speeds seem to have dropped off in the last few weeks to 3-4mb down and 4-5mb up

Just now 10:00-10:30 in the evening getting 1.2mb download and 4.1 upload, just did the test on testmy.net, a second test just immediately after on Speedtest.net by Ookla tells me I am getting 4.36mb download and only 5.87mb upload, ookla is about as useful as a chocolate tea pot for real results.
    If Imagine LTE does not work in your area, you may be interested in trying out same as what I have, or first try a company called "rural-wifi" they offer a 30 day money back guarantee to try out their lte service, it works on Three's network aswell, if you do a google search you will find them, I cannot post links as I have less than 25 posts.

Got it installed today . so far 50mb down 10mb up 19ms ping :D

Got it installed and have it just over a week. Major improvement in speeds etc.Ran numerous speed tests at different times and it never dips below 30mbps. The average is around 60mbps/20ms ping. Just ran a test this evening @ 18:45 which was normally the slowest time on the previous supplier and got:
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/5543273922.png

Just to put it under pressure I had YouTube 4k 60pfs video running on 4 devices, 2 of them wired and the other 2 on the wifi and had Netflix HD running on a TV all at the same time without any bother. I am using a serious router ( Netgear R7000) so that is a factor in handling that type load.
    Happy days

Thanks for the update guys, seems a vast improvement to what is on offer in this area, although would be more impressed if you could get those test results with testmy.net instead of speedtest.net.

Read an article where the author wrote that ooklas speedtest was run through port 8080, which gives an inflated result with some ISP's. If interested you an read it here, just put (www) in front as i cannot post links www.myce.com/review/internet-providers-caught-inflating-speed-test-results-78458/

Happy browsing/gaming/playing!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There you go I sorted the link for you

• Advertisement

bit different alright . not sure i belive the testmy result to be honest because the speeds i get while actually downloiading games and files is perfectly in line with the speedtest result .either or not a bad result for kilmaley and a lot better than my previous 3mb down 0.10mb up :D

5555721057.png

xFhPWNpLS.aXWV8IhH5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but that testmynet site is complete rubbish.

I have 70/20 efibre and I consistently get download speeds from actual servers with large files (1gb+) of 7.2mbps (that's not a burst speed, it's an average over the entire download). Yet testmynet tried to tell me I was only getting ~20mb downloads. Ignore it, speedtest is far more reliable in my experience.

I ran a few more speed tests using a number of different speed testers and am getting consistent results.
    So far the promises made by Imagine have held up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DogofTwoHead

Anybody know the settings for outgoing emails in outlook with Imagine Lte, just got it installed today, about 50 download speed, 24 ping

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Anybody know the settings for outgoing emails in outlook with Imagine Lte, just got it installed today, about 50 download speed, 24 ping

Imagine Broadband SMTP (Outgoing) Server:
    mail.imagine.ie OR mail.gaelic.ie

From http://cksolutions.ie/smtp-outgoing-mail-servers/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dcah

The best way of getting any decent broadband in rural Clare is a simcard router with possibly a three sim card if you have line of sight of a three LTE mast and a power line adapter to send it around the house.

Dcah wrote: »
    The best way of getting any decent broadband in rural Clare is a simcard router with possibly a three sim card if you have line of sight of a three LTE mast and a power line adapter to send it around the house.

that works grand alright for basic speed broadband but the imagine broadband is light years ahead there is no comparison and it doesnt drop in and out

I have been using a modem and a three sim card and it works fine, never disconnects or drops. With speeds in the mornings, of up to 20mb down and 10 mb up, but lately by afternoon/evening the speed has dropped to an unusable level, maybe 150-300Kbs! As for being remote, the three mast is exactly 2km direct line of sight from my modem as I live on the opposite hill from the mast, I have joined a 4g Ariel to the modem and signal on the modem goes from 3 bars to 5 bars but makes absolutely no difference in the download speed. Funny thing is I can still get 5-6mb upload speed in the evening.

Anybody in the Kilmaley/Inch area with imagine for the last few months have you guys noticed a drop in speeds or service recently? Could you recommend it?, or is it just another one of those hyped services that lock you into a contract to take your money and give you crap service?

When I just googled imagine the first page which shows the company has 12 google reviews attached most of them recently and just 1 star reviews!?

TraderJoe wrote: »
    I have been using a modem and a three sim card and it works fine, never disconnects or drops. With speeds in the mornings, of up to 20mb down and 10 mb up, but lately by afternoon/evening the speed has dropped to an unusable level, maybe 150-300Kbs! As for being remote, the three mast is exactly 2km direct line of sight from my modem as I live on the opposite hill from the mast, I have joined a 4g Ariel to the modem and signal on the modem goes from 3 bars to 5 bars but makes absolutely no difference in the download speed. Funny thing is I can still get 5-6mb upload speed in the evening.

Anybody in the Kilmaley/Inch area with imagine for the last few months have you guys noticed a drop in speeds or service recently? Could you recommend it?, or is it just another one of those hyped services that lock you into a contract to take your money and give you crap service?

When I just googled imagine the first page which shows the company has 12 google reviews attached most of them recently and just 1 star reviews!?

I suggest you go through the last 10 or 20 pages of this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057558377&page=172
    and you will see how people's experience of Imagine has changed drastically.
    It is still a reasonable service, but not the hyped-up super service that was touted.

It is still a reasonable service, but not the hyped-up super service that was touted.

jaysus im in kilmaley and mine is still as good as day one. Speeds up over 90mb rarely if ever drops below 50mb and its always 100% stable. im happy with it and my father has had the same experiences with it where he lives.

• Advertisement

jaysus im in kilmaley and mine is still as good as day one. Speeds up over 90mb rarely if ever drops below 50mb and its always 100% stable. im happy with it and my father has had the same experiences with it where he lives.

It seems that as the mast gets loaded with customers the service suffers.
    You might be lucky and maybe your mast will never get over loaded. ;)

Thanks for the update SpannerMonkey, good to hear it is still as good as day one. It is still new in the area though not enough people sucking off it yet.

Thanks for that, I read through the last 10 pages, some people happier than others for sure, but I suppose it what someone is used to. If I could get a consistant 3mb in the evening it is good enough for me, wouldn't complain about that compared to my usual 50-150-200kbs to a maximum 0.5mb on a good evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Hi all. Just received a letter of notice yesterday saying my WiMAX was about to be decommissioned. Imagine lte is my next resort although I'm just not convinced . It's bloody expensive at 59.99 especially for someone like me that doesn't need the phone. Has anyone in Clare any further updates on this? I'm
    Living near Newmarket on fergus. I've heard of another option called light net . I contacted them today but have no reply yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

You might get better answers in the broadband forum, I'm not up to date on the LTE stuff. I suspect lightspeed might be 4G rebranded..?

Hi all. Just received a letter of notice yesterday saying my WiMAX was about to be decommissioned. Imagine lte is my next resort although I'm just not convinced . It's bloody expensive at 59.99 especially for someone like me that doesn't need the phone. Has anyone in Clare any further updates on this? I'm
    Living near Newmarket on fergus. I've heard of another option called light net . I contacted them today but have no reply yet.

what do you want to know . imagine is great for me although i agree its expensive its worth it for me . im in kilmaley . there is probably another supplier in newmarket if you just want basic internet and speeds

http://irelandoffline.org/map/#/map

Select wireless providers and display your local area to see who is covering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pappa lazarou

Im with Imagine LTE and living just outside of NOF. In terms of signal quality, i'm getting 90 MB consistantly. The transmitter on Ben Dash has a good line of sight across the Fergus estuary.
    My options were 3MB with usual suspects until god knows when Eir improve their infrastructure, or the 90MB that Im getting; the price differential wasnt really an issue, since my primary goal was for a good broadband service. The free phonecalls was just an added bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Has anyone noticed their Imagine internet laggy over the last few days?

• Advertisement

Has anyone noticed their Imagine internet laggy over the last few days?

a little on my phone ya but the pc is perfect . thought it was just the phone :confused:

Advertisement