Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robot Wars 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the first 4 look very amateurish. nothing looking overly dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Thor seems to be the only decent robot, it's just a lot of pushing otherwise

all the robots were crap. no real quality to any of them , they were all poorly designed and built.
    the one that won was the best of a bad lot but wouldn't stand a chance against razor, hypnodisk, chaos2, even last weeks winner

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The contestants only had 6 weeks from the BBC advertising for contestants to the first fights so not really surprising a few robots aren't the height of technology.

AIUI Robot Wars has continued as a competition since the previous series was cancelled, just not on TV - they usually have a round staged at the Young Scientist expo at the RDS each year. So the competitors have mostly been competing for years, they haven't just thrown the robots together with 6 weeks notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

loyatemu wrote: »
    AIUI Robot Wars has continued as a competition since the previous series was cancelled, just not on TV - they usually have a round staged at the Young Scientist expo at the RDS each year. So the competitors have mostly been competing for years, they haven't just thrown the robots together with 6 weeks notice.

All I know is that it was a surprise to many the timescale involved. On some of the forums these guys frequent even some seasoned builders couldn't work with the timescale. The rules for the robots were also not the same so some designs would have needed to be radically altered, and it's not like these guys are doing it full time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I notice a lot of these guys cant even steer their bots properly compared to the Americans, like if you gave them a radio controlled car they'd barely be able to control it. I dont see this getting renewed, the bots are just too crappy, if all you're going to do is ram the other guy why not at least give the robot a bit of power?

This is just a piss poor programme tbh, its boring, there has been zero upgrades in the last decade, everything about the bots is so weak compared to Battlebots, all the fights its either someone losing drive or else a judges decision because nobody had the power to do any actual damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

apollo put on good show, so glad they won over boring storm 2

why didn't storm 2 use their spinning tool

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Thargor wrote: »
    This is just a piss poor programme tbh, its boring, there has been zero upgrades in the last decade, everything about the bots is so weak compared to Battlebots, all the fights its either someone losing drive or else a judges decision because nobody had the power to do any actual damage.

Yeah even the Robot Wars studio looks shabby and cheap as hell. If we could have a mix of the presenters from Robot Wars with the Battlebots contestants and arena (fcuk the BBC house robots) it would be just epic.

Saying that, Apollo was damm entertaining to watch :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭bobbyss

First time I have ever seen this programme but yer one Scanlon seems to be bluffing her way through it and seems to be very touchy feely with the contestants.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,165 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Carbide is pretty destructive

Breaking the arena wall was impressive

carbide s hands down the best robot.
    appolo v carbide should be great.
    appollo need to get in straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Definitely needs more Craig Charles...it's a decent revival, but lacks a bit of 'spark' for want of a better description.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,165 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Tr2 vs Carbide I enjoyed

Final fight maybe not as much, both ran out of steam a bit, Apollo was a bit more aggressive at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 33,454 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Was this all done on the same day? It really seems like the teams had so little time between the individual heat episodes and the final. I'm sure it makes sense from a filming point of view but it means the robots in the final are still carrying pretty much all the damage from the heats.

Still though, a worthy final and worthy winner. As destructive as Carbide were the trouble with spinners are they can nearly do more damage to themselves hitting the ground or walls.

the series ended how it went with a disappointing weapons failure, don't think anybody got the final they wanted to see

Myrddin wrote: »
    Definitely needs more Craig Charles...it's a decent revival, but lacks a bit of 'spark' for want of a better description.
    So many flat moments where the crowd arent cheering and the commentator has nothing to say because theres something wrong with both bots and nothings happening. Seriously what % of fights this season were decided by one or both bots suffering mechanical failure >60 seconds in? Any little tap seems to cause problems. Nearly every fight in Battlebots is decided by the 2 bots kicking the crap out of each other, in Robot Wars its just a coin toss as to who will break down first.

Did not enjoy this season at all, it was badly put together and felt like a total rush job for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Thargor wrote: »
    So many flat moments where the crowd arent cheering and the commentator has nothing to say because theres something wrong with both bots and nothings happening. Seriously what % of fights this season were decided by one or both bots suffering mechanical failure >60 seconds in? Any little tap seems to cause problems. Nearly every fight in Battlebots is decided by the 2 bots kicking the crap out of each other, in Robot Wars its just a coin toss as to who will break down first.

Did not enjoy this season at all, it was badly put together and felt like a total rush job for some reason.

I found the full screen instant replays to be a tad over the top and really annoying along with far to much time spent interviewing the fodder teams (glitterbot :rolleyes:) and a shoddiness to the over all production which the original never seemed to suffer from to be my main gripes.

What annoys me is the constant changing of camera angles and showing the crowd and drivers instead of the fight. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I'm glad it's back and I enjoyed it but it's hard to ignore the flaws.

I'd imagine they'll keep it on now for at least another year and everyone will have more time to work on their robots which should mean that they actually work :pac:

I'm a huge fan of Dara but Craig Charles was the man, so it's a shame he's not back. Also was there more variation in the past? I was only like 9 in it's peak but didn't hey have obstacle courses and events rather than just standard fights too?

Needed more Hypno disc too. Angela Scanlon is lovely though *swoons* :o

So hopefully they'll have more time to get things right for the next series and a bit more variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Bring back the gauntlet, Sgt. Bash and a bit of Philippa Forrester!

I'd like to see a segment or two for complete AI controlled fighting robots.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Bring back the gauntlet, Sgt. Bash and a bit of Philippa Forrester!

I'd like to see a segment or two for complete AI controlled fighting robots.

this episode of insidethebot has the chomp lady talking about the AI used https://soundcloud.com/insidethebot/27th-august-2016-battlebots-series-2-episode-8-ft-al-kindle-greg-munson-brutus-chomp says they had both auto hammer and auto manoeuvring to target on all the time, although their control could override both at any time too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,970 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I had this set up on series link and thought it was on a break with the olympics as it wasn't recording. Turns out it was on and I missed it.

You didnt miss much tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I had this set up on series link and thought it was on a break with the olympics as it wasn't recording. Turns out it was on and I missed it.

Sky changed the way the BBC channels were being broadcast during the Olympics to disable the red button service (as the BBC didn't have the rights to broadcast that stuff in Ireland). Side effect was it broke any series links anyone had setup on BBC.

Anyone watching the new series

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Yep, it'll take something special to beat Ultrashock in the final stages.

they havn't let TR2 in because too many flippers and they want to let in crappy robots like that white plastic things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

When will people realise you can have the most powerful axe imaginable but speed and stealth (and flippers help) always win out.

Advertisement