Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi or Merc petrol -- > Automatic

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Ionised

Single clutch box. Shifts were so slow it was like driving a rowing boat. It didn't 'creep' like a normal auto so parking was a nightmare. Mpg if I recall was in the low 30's.

I've driven vw dsg cars for the last 5 years and the difference is quite marked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Ionised wrote: »
    Single clutch box. Shifts were so slow it was like driving a rowing boat. It didn't 'creep' like a normal auto so parking was a nightmare. Mpg if I recall was in the low 30's.

I've driven vw dsg cars for the last 5 years and the difference is quite marked.

Thanks. So was very jerky then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Might be worth remembering that although a DSG gear box will creep like a traditional torque converter box it isn't exactly the same. The DSG box uses clutches so creeping means the clutch is slipping (similar to holding a manual car on a hill using only the clutch and accelerator). You'll wear out the clutch very fast if you creep a lot on a DSG box.

Thanks. So was very jerky then.

Yup. Very

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Any idea on the mpg of the conventional automatic ?

I cannot imagine it being any worse than the Audi or Merc you were originally considering. Also if you doing low mileage it shouldn't really be a deciding factor.

• Advertisement

Just back from a test drive of a car - A 2010 Honda civic, 1.8 petrol. Manual. Saloon.

The automatics are rare in these, so this was the only car I could test drive, just for a general look at the car etc

Not a bad little car at all, relatively pokey.

Anybody know what these are like on Juice in automatic format? I know depends on the driving style but roughly.

I noticed the trip computer thing was fairly basic - did not have range or km left to empty or real time fuel consumption. Or maybe I didnt check in the proper place etc Any ideas ? Thought for a 2010 car , it would have these things.

Any comments on the basic trip computer information ?

Just back from a test drive of a car - A 2010 Honda civic, 1.8 petrol. Manual. Saloon.

The automatics are rare in these, so this was the only car I could test drive, just for a general look at the car etc

Not a bad little car at all, relatively pokey.

Anybody know what these are like on Juice in automatic format? I know depends on the driving style but roughly.

I noticed the trip computer thing was fairly basic - did not have range or km left to empty or real time fuel consumption. Or maybe I didnt check in the proper place etc Any ideas ? Thought for a 2010 car , it would have these things.

Does this car have a best or a chain ?

Does this car have a best or a chain ?

Anyone on this? In regard to a 2010 Honda civic, 1.8 petrol. Manual / Automatic. Saloon.

Chain apparently.

Chain apparently.

Do they need replacing, do you know ?

• Advertisement

Not unless they become rattly and they rarely do in petrol Hondas.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not unless they become rattly and they rarely do in petrol Hondas.

Oh ok. So no recommended time to change the chain really and it should last the lifetime of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Maintenance free as I understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Frazedame

The Honda ishift nit that bad. The wife has one. Unless you're doing drag racing it works fine. It changes gear about the same speed as you would in your manual. Using the gearbox manually is grand as well. As for mpg tge wifes car according to the trip computer always comes back with figures between 40 to 44 mpg even after myself driving it and giving it what for. Thats the 1.8 now. The car has never given a days bother. Had it 8 years and just coming up for 90 k miles.

Frazedame wrote: »
    The Honda ishift nit that bad. The wife has one. Unless you're doing drag racing it works fine. It changes gear about the same speed as you would in your manual. Using the gearbox manually is grand as well. As for mpg tge wifes car according to the trip computer always comes back with figures between 40 to 44 mpg even after myself driving it and giving it what for. Thats the 1.8 now. The car has never given a days bother. Had it 8 years and just coming up for 90 k miles.

oh ok, so you dont find the iShift too bad so.

Just wondering, is the trip computer on your Honda basic - and dosent show things like: range left in tank, real time mpg ?

It shows all that data. How many miles left avg speed,time you been driving avg mpg. Lots of stuff. It's 1.8 es.

Civic hatchback (iShift) and Civic saloon (automatic) of that generation may not share the same information centre.

Civic hatchback (iShift) and Civic saloon (automatic) of that generation may not share the same information centre.

thanks, just thought it was fairly basic in the 2010 Saloon automatic I drove that it did not have this real time mpg, km left in tank etc.

But I may not have been looking in the right place

Well the hatch 1.8 es i-shift has all that info.

Well the hatch 1.8 es i-shift has all that info.

how do you get this info, just press a button to the right of the main display is it ?

• Advertisement

how do you get this info, just press a button to the right of the main display is it ?

I can't recall.

A really quick search got me the 402 page owners manual though. (try '2010 civic manual pdf')

You push the i button on the steering wheel and it will scroll through all the different data each time you push it.

You push the i button on the steering wheel and it will scroll through all the different data each time you push it.

Hmmm, don't think the car I was in has this i Button.

Hmmm, don't think the car I was in has this i Button.

As I mentioned earlier the hatchback and saloon do not have identical switchgear or dashboard. The hatchback was designed and built in Europe, the saloon from Japan.

As I mentioned earlier the hatchback and saloon do not have identical switchgear or dashboard. The hatchback was designed and built in Europe, the saloon from Japan.

Thanks. Didn't know they were built in different places.

Advertisement