Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi or Merc petrol -- > Automatic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

That merc has a weak chain and will need to be replaced. Some places will do just the chain but most recommend that you do all the sprockets/guides too. Can be pricey so check if it has been done recently. At that milage it needs to be done.

Don't know anything about the audi.

EDIT: Also tax (based on co2) for late 08 petrol Merc's can be very high. Hopefully it was registered early in the year on the cc based system.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ddire33

TBi is right about the c class, good car but timing chain change will cost €800 or so and tax is high. Have one two years now no other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Definitely Audi auto
    Transmission is sweet and smooth you don't feel the gear change. 6 gears and feels like one continuous gear up and down and very responsive when at speed for when you over take.
    C class feels like a tractor in comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Lexus IS250 if you're talking reliability. Tax is a major turn off for a lot of people though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

noel100 wrote: »
    Definitely Audi auto
    Transmission is sweet and smooth you don't feel the gear change. 6 gears and feels like one continuous gear up and down and very responsive when at speed for when you over take.
    C class feels like a tractor in comparison

Thanks. Thought I heard somewhere the transmission in the Audi wasn't great (is it multitronic ? )

• Advertisement

Thanks. Thought I heard somewhere the transmission in the Audi wasn't great (is it multitronic ? )

CVT on low powered audis. It's not loved.

CVT on low powered audis. It's not loved.

Which ones are the low powered audis ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Which ones are the low powered audis ?

In that age range, anything without S-tronic, so 2L or less. The bigger 2.7/3L cars are s-tronic but come with a hefty €1200 motor tax bill

It's why I can't downgrade to a 2L from my current 2005 3L A6 because the multitronic gearboxes are like chocolate by all accounts. My choice is to move to a Passat (CC) DSG or try and hold out till the 2012 3L A6's come into budget as the tax rates drop to a far more reasonable €280

I can't decide if I'd be able to live with an E-class or CLS as an alternative. They seem smaller inside and while I like toys, they're a complete buttonfest. Plus the handbrake system with both it's pedal and handle setup seems weird to me... but the CLS does look nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Yes multitronic had mine for 7years no trouble
    I have to say the gear box was brilliant never had an issue . 140 bhp great power very responsive.

noel100 wrote: »
    Yes multitronic had mine for 7years no trouble
    I have to say the gear box was brilliant never had an issue . 140 bhp great power very responsive.

Depends what you're used to.. I recently sat back into a 2L DSG with 140 and while I had one of these for years and found them great, this time I found it slow and underpowered and I really missed my extra 100+ horsies and quattro :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The newer multitronic is nicer to drive than the older ones, they're not supposed to be as flakey either.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    In that age range, anything without S-tronic, so 2L or less. The bigger 2.7/3L cars are s-tronic but come with a hefty €1200 motor tax bill

It's why I can't downgrade to a 2L from my current 2005 3L A6 because the multitronic gearboxes are like chocolate by all accounts. My choice is to move to a Passat (CC) DSG or try and hold out till the 2012 3L A6's come into budget as the tax rates drop to a far more reasonable €280

I've never really understood how Audi offered CVT in these cars, while having DSG in the Skoda and VWs. It seems bizarre. I think manual in this class of car is just wrong, but you see the amount of audis with manual and then if you do a bit of research of the "multichronic" you see why.

I've never really understood how Audi offered CVT in these cars, while having DSG in the Skoda and VWs. It seems bizarre. I think manual in this class of car is just wrong, but you see the amount of audis with manual and then if you do a bit of research of the "multichronic" you see why.

Yep makes no sense to me either as Audi are supposed to be the "premium" brand of the family.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The newer multitronic is nicer to drive than the older ones, they're not supposed to be as flakey either.

What year were they changed?

I'm confused with posts.

To be clear, Is the Audi car I posted initially a CVT ? (2008 Audi A4 1.8 tfsi 160 bhp)

Are these reliable or not ?

I'm confused with posts.

To be clear, Is the Audi car I posted initially a CVT ? (2008 Audi A4 1.8 tfsi 160 bhp)

Are these reliable or not ?

That generation multitronic is reported to give a lot of problems so I'd say no. You'd be better off with a Passat/Passat CC with a DSG box if sticking with the VW brands (VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat)

I don't know what year they changed them tbh. I recently drove an exeo 7 speed multitronic and it was completely different to the old model a4 multitronic. no idea what version box the 08 a4 has.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That generation multitronic is reported to give a lot of problems so I'd say no. You'd be better off with a Passat/Passat CC with a DSG box if sticking with the VW brands (VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat)

More confused now..... Is CVT the same as multitronic ?

yes
    multitronic is cvt

colm_mcm wrote: »
    yes
    multitronic is cvt

Ok. Thanks. Thought they were 2 different things.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, It's impossible to find a reliable car on these forums : /

Is there any car of this era........2008-2010, with about 150 bhp petrol automatic where tax is not going to rob me every year that would fit the bill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Is there any car of this era........2008-2010, with about 150 bhp petrol automatic where tax is not going to rob me every year that would fit the bill ?

There is a shortage of non diesel cars in this class, even looking at donedeal shows that.

Cheap tax for diesels killed petrol cars sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bazz26 wrote: »

12k... Nice find, but op was looking for something a bit cheaper I think.

The Merc and Audi are also 3 years older and lower spec.

Thanks. Nice car. But don't need a car that big. If anything, would go the other way if I had too.....i.e. a car smaller than the Audi or Merc would do too.

I like the look of this if you don't need seats in the back regularly:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-bmw-320-m-sport-auto-nct-amp-tax/12781072

You only mentioned Audi and Merc, so another german brand deserves a mention :)

Isn't the iShift thing supposed to be crap or jerky etc ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Prius Mk3... ~135 bhp, auto, petrol, cheap tax...

Advertisement