Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you stay or Did you go?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    New Zealand is too much to the other end of the spectrum when it comes to insurance claims.

"get over it" is the default reply to the raising of any issue.

Did you notice how kiwis absolutely cannot tolerate any sort of complaints about anything?

Eh? I guess you don't have any idea how ACC works. There are many many false claims, but in most cases you only get cover for treatment and loss of earnings.

But yeah, whiners are given short shift. Proper order.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Eh? I guess you don't have any idea how ACC works. There are many many false claims, but in most cases you only get cover for treatment and loss of earnings.

But yeah, whiners are given short shift. Proper order.

Well you have certainly gone native. New Zealand is a very rough place for employee's, has a shockingly high culture of workplace bullying and this is in many ways due to the fierce aversion to complaints.

You see it everywhere, from landlords who wave the hand if a house is freezing cold, to rugby journalists who dismiss tackles that nearly cripple player's.

You must only shower kiwis with unconditional praise.

Well you have certainly gone native. New Zealand is a very rough place for employee's, has a shockingly high culture of workplace bullying and this is in many ways due to the fierce aversion to complaints.

You see it everywhere, from landlords who wave the hand if a house is freezing cold, to rugby journalists who dismiss tackles that nearly cripple player's.

You come across as a whinger and a sook, two things kiwis don't tolerate. You're right, it's not the place for you. :)

Basil3 wrote: »
    You come across as a whinger and a sook, two things kiwis don't tolerate. You're right, it's not the place for you. :)

Don't live there but many I've spoken to have found the same.

Hard people.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Don't live there but many I've spoken to have found the same.

Hard people.

If you don't live here then how can you verify what you've "heard" ?

• Advertisement

Timmyr wrote: »
    If you don't live here then how can you verify what you've "heard" ?

Past tense.

I have lived and worked there and also know people who did.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Ireland is a better country than New Zealand on every metric bar weather.
    except it isn't really.

NZ also has less corruption, less crime, less of a compo culture, less tax burden, more forestry, a more outdoors based culture, better sports performance to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

except it isn't really.

NZ also has less corruption, less crime, less of a compo culture, less tax burden, more forestry, a more outdoors based culture, better sports performance to name a few.

But its the most boring place on the planet!

Give me Ireland any day. There is not a second goes by that I dont feel like falling to my knees and kissing the ground in thanks that I am back.

We feel like we got released from prison and are now free again.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Give me Ireland any day. There is not a second goes by that I dont feel like falling to my knees and kissing the ground in thanks that I am back.

I just can't understand this perception, what do you like so much about Ireland?

I couldn't imagine myself ever wanting to leave NZ to go back home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 monreader

How is NZ boring to you? There is so much to do here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I am native :-) .... just been out of my habitat for 10 years.

My experience in Ireland is that the country and its inhabitants also require high levels of praise, and don't like plain speaking.

As i recall, you were based outside Hamilton. So I can understand how you found it boring. But most of the country isn't like that.

Both countries have plenty of workplace bad behaviour and cold damp housing. But at least NZ has a legal minimum sick leave and probation only lasts for three months.

NZ has earthquakes. Ireland has corruption.

NZ has sporting and religious diversity. Ireland has music and dance (Which is why I stayed).

And NZ has ACC.

except it isn't really.

New Zealand has zero pollution regulation compared to Ireland and we are no great shakes.
    Their farmers pollute like crazy.
    New Zealanders are a smug people who prefer to Bury their heads in the sand about issues, they want nothing but praise for their country.

Timmyr wrote: »
    I just can't understand this perception, what do you like so much about Ireland?

I couldn't imagine myself ever wanting to leave NZ to go back home

I didn't find new Zealand boring at all but the shocking attitude culturally to people who are victims of abuse and injustice left a sour taste, kiwis are a deeply heard headed and hard hearted bunch

I would never want to raise kids there as if they encountered any kind of bullying in school, their would be zero understanding from the teachers

There is also a strong undercurrent of anti Irishness, this is due to the largely Presbyterian Scottish ancestral make up of the population

I am native :-) .... just been out of my habitat for 10 years.

My experience in Ireland is that the country and its inhabitants also require high levels of praise, and don't like plain speaking.

As i recall, you were based outside Hamilton. So I can understand how you found it boring. But most of the country isn't like that.

Both countries have plenty of workplace bad behaviour and cold damp housing. But at least NZ has a legal minimum sick leave and probation only lasts for three months.

NZ has earthquakes. Ireland has corruption.

NZ has sporting and religious diversity. Ireland has music and dance (Which is why I stayed).
    And NZ has ACC.

You must be thinking of someone else, I was not based anywhere near Hamilton although I did spend a few days in that city, least interesting place in the country.

Housing standards in Ireland are far higher than in new Zealand. We have a climate which is much damper but the construction standard in Ireland is world's ahead of new Zealand

I was forced to leave a job due to vicious bullying by a female manager who happened to be motivated by sectarianism, the owner of the company didn't give a sh1t and was affronted by the very idea I would complain, the lack of professionalism in this regard in new Zealand is staggering across the board, while taking a train from Christchurch to the ferry in Picton, the train crashed into a freight carriage parked on the tracks, we had a news crew on site and all, they didn't even bring us to the doctors despite the fact me and my mates were flung across the carriage, add to that, we missed the ferry connection and had to get the freight ferry with a bunch of loggers and other truckers etc, when we arrived in Wellington, we complained and as usual were told to

"stop whining"

Kiwis want you to eat turd sandwiches and like them to boot.

There is also a strong undercurrent of anti Irishness

in 7 years I've never seen the slightest trace of that. Maybe it's just you?

in 7 years I've never seen the slightest trace of that. Maybe it's just you?

Reductive sh1te

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Keep this civil, please.

There is also a strong undercurrent of anti Irishness

I've been here 2 years now and have never encountered such things. I have gotten the totally opposite impression.

monreader wrote: »
    I've been here 2 years now and have never encountered such things. I have gotten the totally opposite impression.

It's more noticeable in the south island which is a lot more Scottish.

Any country or region of a country with strong Scottish ancestry has this trait the world over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Nermal

we complained and as usual were told to

"stop whining"

This sounds like paradise, to be honest. If there is one trait that Ireland needs, it’s this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What an eye opening thread...

Why are houses in NZ so bad? I never heard of that. I always pictured people living in super insulated Scandinavian type housing...

Thargor wrote: »

Why are houses in NZ so bad? I never heard of that. I always pictured people living in super insulated Scandinavian type housing...

Houses are worse built than what was thrown up here fifty years ago

It's more noticeable in the south island which is a lot more Scottish.

Any country or region of a country with strong Scottish ancestry has this trait the world over

I've spent 2 years in the South Island and as I said I have never seen it.

Thargor wrote: »

lax building standards in the past and lax enforcement, people trying to be as cheap as possible, the 'she'll be right / harden up' type attitudes, the lightweight, flexible materials used as a result of earthquakes (like iron / steel roofing rather than heavy tiles, timber framing and cladding rather than brick / blocks) etc

New houses are fine though.

lax building standards in the past and lax enforcement, people trying to be as cheap as possible, the 'she'll be right / harden up' type attitudes, the lightweight, flexible materials used as a result of earthquakes (like iron / steel roofing rather than heavy tiles, timber framing and cladding rather than brick / blocks) etc

New houses are fine though.

The huge lack of standards when it comes - came to housing is another symptom of the never ever complain about anything culture of that country.

If a house is so mouldy as to cause your kids to develop asthma, it's a bit much even for a kiwi to reply with

STOP WHINING

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

monreader wrote: »
    I've spent 2 years in the South Island and as I said I have never seen it.

Ne neither. Quite the opposite in fact. I made some lovely friends there.

Advertisement