Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The welterweight division

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

darced wrote: »

Baffling and I can't ever remember this much talk about it before Conor started going on about it non stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Dont care. Let them bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,128 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

darced wrote: »
    Yeah it gets taken to a weird extreme a lot.
    Sure, I was as curious as the next guy, to see what numbers certain events they do.
    But it doesn't affect my enjoyment. I don't feel like by decision to watch an event is validated by if 1mil+ tune in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

mdwexford wrote: »
    Baffling and I can't ever remember this much talk about it before Conor started going on about it non stop.

Welterweight CM Punk is fighting on a main card soon, is it because he's a great mma fighter or is it because it will sell alot of ppv's?

by the way, this is a discussion not obsession.

• Advertisement

Welterweight CM Punk is fighting on a main card soon, is it because he's a great mma fighter or is it because it will sell alot of ppv's?

by the way, this is a discussion not obsession.

That has nothing to do with the above discussion though.
    They can put Hulk Hogan in the octagon and sell 10 million ppvs, will make no difference to me.

We are both aware he has never had an Mma fight.

Time will tell if he sells ppvs. The UFC obviously signed him in the hope he will.

Fans should want top guys fighting each other, whether it does 200k buys or 200 millions buys is immaterial to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

That has nothing to do with the above discussion though.
    They can put Hulk Hogan in the octagon and sell 10 million ppvs, will make no difference to me.

We are both aware he has never had an Mma fight.

Time will tell if he sells ppvs. The UFC obviously signed him in the hope he will.

Fans should want top guys fighting each other, whether it does 200k buys or 200 millions buys is immaterial to us.

I think you're missing my point. the problem is when fights are selected in order to make the most money rather than to exhibit the best mma talent. that is when the business aspect rules above the sport, of course fans want the best fights. but those fans arent the UFC's no1 priority, the big money right now is coming from casual fans that have limited knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 14,060 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

This.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I think you're missing my point. the problem is when fights are selected in order to make the most money rather than to exhibit the best mma talent. that is when the business aspect rules above the sport, of course fans want the best fights. but those fans arent the UFC's no1 priority, the big money right now is coming from casual fans that have limited knowledge

Yeah of course, the UFC is a business seeking to make the most profit possible.

The first guy I quoted was saying the WW division is bad now and it's fighters aren't marketable. Which I think is rubbish.

No division is full of hugely popular household name fighters that sell tons of ppvs.

Outside of Conor and Ronda nobody else will do huge numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

A chance for cerrone to get into the top 10 the weekend. I think this fight will suit him. Seems to have serkous power at 170 and story like to stand there and he seemed to take alot of shots against nelson. One of the if not the biggest draw on the card outside of the main eveng. Between him and johnson.

As crazy as it sounds i think mcgregor will fight for the ww belt next year if he wins this sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

What is with cerrone wanting to go down to 155?? HE looks like a beast at 170. Don't think he earns himself a title shot at 155 by beating 170 pounders either. Maybe he's looking at a piece of the mcgregor - diaz pie now they're going back down?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The PPV numbers indicate interest in a card/fighters on the card. Frankly its a terrific metric of public interest and the quality of a card. If you think of the "great cards" over the last couple of years that are famous for great fights and wars......they all did really well in PPV numbers. For example you can gauge peoples dissatisfaction with a card like 200 by it underperforming. And It tells you a lot about draw power versus skill. For example Mighty mouse being technically brilliant yet still less of a draw than guys ranked 15 in other weight classes. All of this is noteworthy.

Of course, the "my daddy is bigger than your daddy" comparisons are juvenile but to suggest that PPV numbers shouldnt be discussed is silly. They matter. A Lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,128 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Kirby wrote: »
    The PPV numbers indicate interest in a card/fighters on the card. Frankly its a terrific metric of public interest and the quality of a card. If you think of the "great cards" over the last couple of years that are famous for great fights and wars......they all did really well in PPV numbers. For example you can gauge peoples dissatisfaction with a card like 200 by it underperforming. And It tells you a lot about draw power versus skill. For example Mighty mouse being technically brilliant yet still less of a draw than guys ranked 15 in other weight classes. All of this is noteworthy.

Of course, the "my daddy is bigger than your daddy" comparisons are juvenile but to suggest that PPV numbers shouldnt be discussed is silly. They matter. A Lot.
    I think the point is how big a draw a fighter is shouldn't affect your personal viewing of a fight. Sure, refer to the buyrate in passing interest, but you don't it to validate anything.

For example, I watch 202 last night. It was immense and lived up to the hype and then some. One of the highlights of all the fights I've watched.
    I imagine it'll do very well in PPV buys and I'm interested to hear the final number. But ultimately, I make my own opinion on it. I don't need 1.5million americans to agree with me to justify my opinion.

Advertisement