Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo (young Han Solo film) *spoilers from post 1493*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Spaceballs was a parody of Star Wars though not a Star Wars comedy. It could definitely work imo, though I don't think it would be a good idea to centre it around an established character like Han Solo.

It depends on how much "comedy" we're talking about.

Something along the lines of 'Lethal Weapon' could possibly work, in the right hands. An action comedy mashup perhaps - even though I wouldn't be too enamored with the idea.

But 'Carry on Solo' can feck right off. Nor do I want to see 'Ham Solo: Pet Detective' either, or 'Solo: The Superbad Years'.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,154 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Tony EH wrote: »
    It depends on how much "comedy" we're talking about.

Something along the lines of 'Lethal Weapon' could possibly work, in the right hands. An action comedy mashup perhaps - even though I wouldn't be too enamored with the idea.

But 'Carry on Solo' can feck right off. Nor do I want to see 'Ham Solo: Pet Detective' either, or 'Solo: The Superbad Years'.

Well I would expect a Star Wars comedy to be an adventure comedy first and foremost, and it's funny you mention Lethal Weapon because when I saw the choice of directors and the casting of Lando I was expecting that's what the studio wanted to go for with this. If they really were going the Ace Ventura route then it's probably for the best it never saw the light of day.

I don't see why a more straight up comedy wouldn't work with a new set of characters that's separate from the main SW story line though. I'd see it in the same light as a dark violent movie aimed at adults set in SW universe. Deadpool and Logan's success showed it's possible to have a bit of variety in terms of what you do with an IP without messing with the main thrust of the franchise.

Well I would expect a Star Wars comedy to be an adventure comedy first and foremost, and it's funny you mention Lethal Weapon because when I saw the choice of directors and the casting of Lando I was expecting that's what the studio wanted to go for with this. If they really were going the Ace Ventura route then it's probably for the best it never saw the light of day.

That's what I thought when this thing got green lit and the personalities involved came to light, even though I never, for a single second, believed that this thing should be getting made in the first place. But, if it has to be done this way, the best route would a 'Lethal Weapon', 'Beverly Hills Cop' or '48 Hours' route. All of which are essentially dramas, with an emphasis on comedy.
    I don't see why a more straight up comedy wouldn't work with a new set of characters that's separate from the main SW story line though. I'd see it in the same light as a dark violent movie aimed at adults set in SW universe. Deadpool and Logan's success showed it's possible to have a bit of variety in terms of what you do with an IP without messing with the main thrust of the franchise.

To put it bluntly, it just wouldn't suit, that's all. Star Wars, first and foremost, is a straight drama. It has some comic elements (and I stress SOME), but it's just not a comedy. There are actual stakes involved in all of the Star Wars films, even the crap ones. Turning around and making a screwball comedy just wouldn't fit. 'Smuggle Hard: The Han Solo Story'.

*shudder*

Also, why do people keep trying to equate Star Wars with Marvel? They're not the same. For better or worse, there's a distinct historical narrative in the Star Wars films. The MCU has no real direction whatsoever. It's just random shit, loosely related.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

That's what I thought when this thing got green lit and the personalities involved came to light, even though I never, for a single second, believed that this thing should be getting made in the first place. But, if it has to be done this way, the best route would a 'Lethal Weapon', 'Beverly Hills Cop' or '48 Hours' route. All of which are essentially dramas, with an emphasis on comedy.

To put it bluntly, it just wouldn't suit, that's all. Star Wars, first and foremost, is a straight drama. It has some comic elements (and I stress SOME), but it's just not a comedy. There are actual stakes involved in all of the Star Wars films, even the crap ones. Turning around and making a screwball comedy just wouldn't fit. 'Smuggle Hard: The Han Solo Story'.

*shudder*

Also, why do people keep trying to equate Star Wars with Marvel? They're not the same. For better or worse, there's a distinct historical narrative in the Star Wars films. The MCU has no real direction whatsoever. It's just random shit, loosely related.

Tony the marvel cinematic universe is totally mapped out and all interrelated it's not random in any way at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭fluke

It is kinda random. Like someone devised all these characters while on coke, then tried to figure a way to link them up.

Yeah the Norse God teams up with the green guy. Something something interplanetary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Star Wars, first and foremost, is a straight drama. It has some comic elements (and I stress SOME), but it's just not a comedy. There are actual stakes involved in all of the Star Wars films, even the crap ones.

To say that the whole Star Wars world only constitutes drama would be doing it a disservice and very limiting to the future potential. This world is vast and can no doubt have funny stories no different than it can be dramatic and action packed ones.
    If, and this is a big if, they wanted to make a Han Solo comedy then I'd be ok with it once it's still faithful to the world and not slapstick. A younger Han no doubt had funny hijinx to get to where he was, and it doesn't have to have a big bad guy or an overly serious plot. Just the equivalent of a funny incident from his past turned into a fun cinematic story. On the other hand in other people's hands he could be made to be someone with a tragic background, suck all the humour from a film and give him a backstory that shows why he's the scoundrel and unreliable (initially) person we meet in ANH.

In Kasdan we trust, and if this changeover is course correcting to get there then Happy... eh... Days.

david75 wrote: »
    Tony the marvel cinematic universe is totally mapped out and all interrelated it's not random in any way at all.

I don't see any real mapping. There's some overlap, but it certainly isn't the same as Star Wars keeps to a single storyline, even if some of the ideas are woeful in the prequels.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,154 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

*shudder*

I never mentioned the MCU, but now you mention it it's definitely not random it's uniform to the point of it being a flaw (fair enoguh the comics are random but that's not what we're discussing), Disney are pretty much taking the exact same approach with Star Wars as they are with the MCU where we'll get films that are all broadly the same. I would have no issue with them experimenting a bit and doing a straight comedy or horror or drama or whatever using either the Marvel or Star Wars IPs. I agree going that far with Han solo would be a bad idea but I'm a little puzzled as to why you'd be so dead set against a bit of innovation or variety outside of the established characters or story line.

To say that the whole Star Wars world only constitutes drama would be doing it a disservice and very limiting to the future potential.

I didn't say "only". I said "First and foremost". From 1977 onward, the movies have been dramas, sometimes with a little comic element thrown in. Some of which works, some of which has been truly appalling - oh hello Jar Jar.

I never mentioned the MCU, but now you mention it it's definitely not random it's uniform to the point of it being a flaw (fair enoguh the comics are random but that's not what we're discussing), Disney are pretty much taking the exact same approach with Star Wars as they are with the MCU where we'll get films that are all broadly the same. I would have no issue with them experimenting a bit and doing a straight comedy or horror or drama or whatever using either the Marvel or Star Wars IPs.

You were talking about the success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan', which while they're not strictly the MCU, as it were, they are still Marvel.
    ...but I'm a little puzzled as to why you'd be so dead set against a bit of innovation or variety outside of the established characters or story line.

Who said I was? I've specifically mentioned that there's a whole universe to play with. That means new characters and situations. In fact, I'd like to see Star Wars without a Skywalker and beyond the Empire/First Order setting - the worst things about the new trilogy is its cowardice.

I just don't fancy 'Monty Python and the Holy Holocron', or 'Jabba: The Musical'. That's going to stick out like a sore thumb and look stupid in the cold light of day - Hello Holiday Special.

• Advertisement

I just don't fancy 'Monty Python and the Holy Holocron', or 'Jabba: The Musical'. That's going to stick out like a sore thumb and look stupid in the cold light of day - Hello Holiday Special.

Well if they do decide to make a comedy at some stage I think we can both agree we'd be better off if it's not you coming up up with the titles or concepts :pac:

Good job. I'm running out.

George might have a few though. FFS, 'Attack of the Clones' was enough to put a laugh in my mouth when I first saw it.

I don't see any real mapping. There's some overlap, but it certainly isn't the same as Star Wars keeps to a single storyline, even if some of the ideas are woeful in the prequels.

I'm no fan but there really is a huge intricate mapped out canon. The upcoming infinity wars films (with the $2 BILLION budget) has something like 32 of marvels characters in it. Avengers guardians I think xmen. All in it.

Yeh, but that's all that seems to be happening. A character overlap here and there or a slight reference.

I'm not seeing cross over in events and timelines really. I could be wrong, they don't really last long in the system, TBH.

I'm not a fan either, it has to be said. They're all too "factory" for me and utterly, utterly forgettable. McDonalds movies.

I just don't want that happening the SW. I mean, even though I have some major issues with 'The Force Awakens', it still stuck in my mind afterward. I seriously can't remember much of any Marvel film that I've seen.

That's a very bad sign.

Yeah I'm the same. They're a good watch but rarely stay with you.

The sw films will follow the same pattern but hopefully can always be interesting.

This Is awesome. Ron Howard berating Newsweek for taking a cheap shot at Jake Lloyd in phantom menance

https://twitter.com/thomasstorai/status/878295313953509376

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

A class act, fair play to the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

More trouble coming out of the rumour mill:

http://screenrant.com/han-solo-movie-alden-ehrenreich-performance/

I can't comment on the guy as I haven't seen him in anything, but if this is true I can only imagine how humiliated/irate he's feeling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ben Gadot wrote: »

I can't comment on the guy as I haven't seen him in anything, but if this is true I can only imagine how humiliated/irate he's feeling.

Reads like click bait. In the THR piece it's based on, concerns about Ehrenreich take up one sentence, which ScreenRant expanded into a whole article. Other reports claim Ehrenreich was the one who raised concerns about Lord & Miller's characterisation of Han in the first place.

THR claim Lord and Miller were shooting very little coverage towards the end, an age old strategy employed by directors who expect to have the film taken off them in editing. Probably what got them fired. But on the bright side, it says production of Episode 8 was seamless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Sounds like a cluster****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Rom Howard will be able to knock it together. Whether it's any good, "special", or feels like a Star Wars film, remains to be seen. But if the script is good and the actors are good, he'll do a decent movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Ben Gadot wrote: »

He's a good actor and I predict he will be good in the part. If there were issues, I can imagine it's to do with how the directors were having him portray Han, given all the improvisations and their differing tone/take on the character that may have been going against the grain. This may have made the studio take action to deal with a performance that wasn't wholly his fault. Maybe this is where he then raised his concerns to producers. Who knows. It will make an interesting read once the film is out, all the dust settles and the real backstory starts to come out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This makes for interesting reading. Sad if it's true. A stark reminder that it's never about the art.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-is-all-the-same-nowadays-and-its-becoming-a-1796449283

Howard released a photo from Bettanys last day on han. And look what's in it.

https://twitter.com/david75donovan/status/909307260551254017

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

david75 wrote: »
    Howard released a photo from Bettanys last day on han. And look what's in it.

https://twitter.com/david75donovan/status/909307260551254017

Fan **** - big surprise there, it's still going to be sh!te.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

faceman wrote: »
    This makes for interesting reading. Sad if it's true. A stark reminder that it's never about the art.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-is-all-the-same-nowadays-and-its-becoming-a-1796449283

When you spend a couple of billion on a product, art is the last thing on your mind. I don't blame Disney for doing it safe and the reviewer in the link is wrong about Marvel's "by the numbers" movies...

I actually thought Rogue One was an awful idea, but that the movie was superbly enjoyable. GOTG was easily the most surprisingly enjoyable movie of the Marvel movies and I agree TWS was very good. But the rest of them are all about promoting the next movie.

In many regards you can thank the absolute trashing of the prequels and quite venomous attacks on Lucas. I am surprised he didn't sell it sooner to be honest and he's probably content not having to explain the directions he took with his universe to people anymore.

Fan **** - big surprise there, it's still going to be sh!te.

Not entirely fair. Han and fett are in each other's spheres white closely before a new hope even. Both working for jabba in different capacities. He's a natural fit. And his presence in this would kill the ridiculous idea of a boba fett standalone which would be fan wanq.

The latest rumour is Vader is in the han movie. If true that is the definition of fan wanq. And really cheap lazy fan wanq at that. Won't happen hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

This could go either way - a total mess or a triumphant reboot of an iconic character.

If they get this right, it could pave the way to reintroduce Luke and Leia via new actors and new movies set between Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens.

Or, the new Han Solo will join Jar Jar Binks........

I'm still of the opinon that this will suck balls, cos I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise.

Will it make money, sure. But, that's no brainer for somethign with Star Wars in the title.
    If they get this right, it could pave the way to reintroduce Luke and Leia via new actors

Which will be simply terrible.

I'm genuinely hoping that this is a huge flop as a lesson to Disney about being lazy.

• Advertisement

I'm still of the opinon that this will suck balls, cos I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise.

Will it make money, sure. But, that's no brainer for somethign with Star Wars in the title.

Which will be simply terrible.

I'm genuinely hoping that this is a huge flop as a lesson to Disney about being lazy.

You've seen nothing to base that opinion in at all. None of us have. As you said you want these films to fail. So you're hardly going to give them a fair appraisal. Even a year out without seeing anything of it. Will say that guy better bring it as Han. It's all hanging on him. Nothing else.

Advertisement