Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solo (young Han Solo film) *spoilers from post 1493*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Tony EH wrote: »
    I'm wondering if Disney actually know what the hell they're looking for out of these films.

They've already made two excellent films so far, so I'm fairly optimistic about this and Episode VIII.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Thank christ they're gone. That would have been bloody awful. Wrong movie, wrong people.

Hopefully, Ronnie can salvage something out of it, but I reckon this is the first Star Wars film that I won't be bothering to watch in a cinema, if I bother watching it at all.

Was only thinking that myself, have v.little interest in this & if someone had of told me a few years back that i'd have no interest in a SW movie I'd have laughed them off... I just don't get why this is being made TBH.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I think Ron Howard is far and away the best choice, I think he'll make a splash. It could yet be happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

tigger123 wrote: »
    They've already made two excellent films so far, so I'm fairly optimistic about this and Episode VIII.

For me it's been one ok one (TFA) and one excellent one (R1).

However, the fundamental problem with this film is it's a Han Solo film without Han Solo (or even Lando for that matter) and I'm probably never going to get with that.

DvB wrote: »
    Was only thinking that myself, have v.little interest in this & if someone had of told me a few years back that i'd have no interest in a SW movie I'd have laughed them off... I just don't get why this is being made TBH.

It's a cash in on the most beloved character in Star Wars.

Next up is Bobby Fett...the Kenobi...then Luke...then........

Besides the Kenobi one, they are all terrible, terrible ideas.

McGregor can get away with a much younger Ben Kenobi. But having someone play somebody from the original 'Star Wars' who's just a few years younger is stupid when we all know what they looked like and how they acted. It'll never sit comfortably.

It's even more annoying when there's literally a whole universe to play with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Agree 100%... theres so much potential, and in all honesty whatever film they make will still rake in an absolute fortune, this just seems lazy IMO.

It is what it is I suppose.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The last Jedi is gonna be amazing.

If you watch Rian Johnson at the TLJ panel at Star Wars celebration before they dropped the trailer, hes giddy with the excitement of it. He knows he's got an amazing film in the bag and can't wait to show it.

Treverow? Whole other story.

Wow. Really sounds like we dodged a bullet here. (I can't link it just open the image)

Good god. :eek:

What's that snippet from David?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

david75 wrote: »
    Wow. Really sounds like we dodged a bullet here. (I can't link it just open the image)

What's the source?

• Advertisement

McGregor can get away with a much younger Ben Kenobi. But having someone play somebody from the original 'Star Wars' who's just a few years younger is stupid when we all know what they looked like and how they acted. It'll never sit comfortably.

I honestly think you, and some other Star Wars fans, are going in to this movie expecting to hate it. You should at least approach it with an open mind, ya never know, ya might enjoy it! :)

The other side of this is that Disney and Kennedy saw a film being made that didn't fit tonally with the rest of the universe and took corrective action. I'm failing to see what the issue with this is. This is a good thing.

Thirdly, the franchise shouldn't have to stand still because some fans say so. Just because you are a fan of something, doesn't mean you own it.

I honestly think you, and some other Star Wars fans, are going in to this movie expecting to hate it. You should at least approach it with an open mind, ya never know, ya might enjoy it! :)

There are basic fundamental issues about this film that are impossible to ignore, the main one being it's a Han Solo film without Han Solo and that it's (so far) shot as a knockabout comedy. Howard may yet salvage something from this mess, but the fact is is that that it should never have been made in the first place.

I'm all for "open minds" etc and will make a final judgement if I bother seeing it. However, nothing I have seen so far gives me anything to be even remotely positive about.
    The other side of this is that Disney and Kennedy saw a film being made that didn't fit tonally with the rest of the universe and took corrective action. I'm failing to see what the issue with this is. This is a good thing.

I've already said that I am fully on board with both Kennedy and Kasdan's attempts to right the ship. But, I reckon that the ship was already fatally holed before it left the harbour.
    Thirdly, the franchise shouldn't have to stand still because some fans say so. Just because you are a fan of something, doesn't mean you own it.

Nobody has said this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

DvB wrote: »

That there's a universe at play is wholly irrelevant for those who only want movies in an identical tone and genre as the original trilogy.

I find it baffling to be honest, I've always loved Stars Wars but I've never once taken it too seriously, why some disbelieve a comedy set in the Star Wars galaxy or a horror, or crime thriller could work is incredibly close minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

A comedy can totally work in the Star Wars universe, however this project may not be the one to make an out and out comedy of. I believe it should be a fun adventure film and wouldn't need to be anywhere near as dark a tone as say Rogue One, but the potential for this to go OTT could totally ruin it and potential sequels for prequel Han Solo adventures is too much a risk for Disney.

It's disappointing this didn't work out for the directors, and I look forward to hearing the whole background over time as to why this really didn't work. However I will trust in Kathleen Kennedy and Kasdan for now given their track records and their loyalty to the francise. No doubt it's all about money but at least they are wanting to provide TLC to the fans and good movies over any old rubbish.

I find it baffling to be honest, I've always loved Stars Wars but I've never once taken it too seriously, why some disbelieve a comedy set in the Star Wars galaxy or a horror, or crime thriller could work is incredibly close minded.

Hey, if you want to see Han Solo turned into Ace Ventura in space, go for it.

Han is great for a funny one liner. A comedy film with Han at the enter of it? Totally alien to the character. And it seems Erinreich felt the same way too.

Hey, if you want to see Han Solo turned into Ace Ventura in space, go for it.

I doubt very much that the directors were aiming for Ace Ventura style slapstick, I'd imagine the tone they had set was more in keeping with the levity of Guardians of the Galaxy which could absolutely work.

My fear now is this movie will fall into the same trap as Rogue One in mistaking drab characters without any depth as being mature and gritty... yes the last twenty minutes were up there with the best of Star Wars but Christ, did we really need to be subjected to such an uninteresting and plodding narrative before we got there?

I doubt very much that the directors were aiming for Ace Ventura style slapstick, I'd imagine the tone they had set was more in keeping with the levity of Guardians of the Galaxy which could absolutely work.

My fear now is this movie will fall into the same trap as Rogue One in mistaking drab characters without any depth as being mature and gritty... yes the last twenty minutes were up there with the best of Star Wars but Christ, did we really need to be subjected to such an uninteresting and plodding narrative before we got there?

Personally, given the choice between 'Guardians of the Galaxy' and 'Rogue One', the latter will win every single time.

I found the former twee and didn't give a shit what happened and can't even recall much it now. Whereas I found the latter film compelling, exciting and liked the drama surrounding the characters right up to their sad deaths. There's a sense of gravity in 'Rogue One'. You feel that what the characters are doing in the story is important and allows more buy in.

Horses for courses , I watched Rogue One on three separate occasions now and for me it just hasn't clicked. How an adult could find the deaths of these "characters" sad is puzzling, they were 2 dimensional caricatures whose only purpose was to spout clunky exposition in an effort to further a completely redundant plot. We already knew the death star plans were stolen by the rebels, in an entire galaxy of possibilities why invest in a story whose outcome we all already know?

But of course all this is just my opinion, I'm not arrogant enough to claim those who enjoyed rogue one as wrong, the movie just didn't work for me.

• Advertisement

Rogue one did one big thing wrong. We know the rebellion get the plans. Everyone knows that. But the film spends it time making that the tension point rather than focusing on the characters and making you care about them. There's no character development at all.
    And just when you might begin to feel something (when they start dying) the film gets hijacked by the admittedly best space battle ever. *and then* Vader.

The hodge podge fixing it on fly in the editing room is balls out in the last twenty minutes. You're literally having your attention robbed from any empathy by the big flashy space battle.

That's why it's awesome they've stepped in on han. Fix it before it gets to a point where you're trying to fix it in editing.

*what a space battle though. There's one in last Jedi too. It simply has to top it and I don't see how it can.

Horses for courses , I watched Rogue One on three separate occasions now and for me it just hasn't clicked. How an adult could find the deaths of these "characters" sad is puzzling, they were 2 dimensional caricatures whose only purpose was to spout clunky exposition in an effort to further a completely redundant plot. We already knew the death star plans were stolen by the rebels, in an entire galaxy of possibilities why invest in a story whose outcome we all already know?

But of course all this is just my opinion, I'm not arrogant enough to claim those who enjoyed rogue one as wrong, the movie just didn't work for me.

No, but you're "arrogant" enough to say this:
    How an adult could find the deaths of these "characters" sad is puzzling
    :D

I found the ending "sad", for want of a better word, because I felt sorry for Jyn Erso, whose life wasn't the easiest, shall we say. Plus, just after a brief reuniting with her dad, revenge on Krennic and her success in the mission, she ends up getting fried on a beach on some far off planet at 25.

You may have not been able to get with her character, but understood her much much better than the likes of Rey in 'The Force Awakens'.

I also liked Cassian Andor, who's character breaks the simplistic view of the rebellion being populated with angels. His character fits in with the partisan type that populate makeshift armies in real life. Not quite military, but fighting nonetheless. He made perfect sense to me.

Also, yes we knew the DS plans were stolen. Now we know how, where and who did it. The story has been expanded in a good way and hasn't screwed up established lore in a way that the prequels did. 'Rogue One' was a great example of how you do a prequel that leads up to a familiar story, without breaking that story...so much so that I'd place it in the top three Star Wars films, after the original 'Star Wars' and 'The Empire Strikes Back'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think this might have been an Alien Resurrection-esque mismatch of director and screenwriter. Lord and Miller are writers themselves, but Disney didn't ask them to write the script and probably for good reason. They committed to making Kasdan's script, but seemingly tried to change it into something closer to their own sensibilities on set. Abrams and Edwards did a lot of improvisation too, so I don't think Kennedy is opposed to it. And as I said earlier, Kasdan is no stranger to it either. But maybe Lord and Miller went too far. As homerun_runner said, a Star Wars comedy could work but this probably wasn't the right film to do it with.

No, but you're "arrogant" enough to say this:

:D

I found the ending "sad", for want of a better word, because I felt sorry for Jyn Erso, whose life wasn't the easiest, shall we say. Plus, just after a brief reuniting with her dad, revenge on Krennic and her success in the mission, she ends up getting fried on a beach on some far off planet at 25.

You may have not been able to get with her character, but understood her much much better than the likes of Rey in 'The Force Awakens'.

I also liked Cassian Andor, who's character breaks the simplistic view of the rebellion being populated with angels. His character fits in with the partisan type that populate makeshift armies in real life. Not quite military, but fighting nonetheless. He made perfect sense to me.

Also, yes we knew the DS plans were stolen. Now we know how, where and who did it. The story has been expanded in a good way and hasn't screwed up established lore in a way that the prequels did. 'Rogue One' was a great example of how you do a prequel that leads up to a familiar story, without breaking that story...so much so that I'd place it in the top three Star Wars films, after the original 'Star Wars' and 'The Empire Strikes Back'.

Rogue One, for me, actually improves A New Hope, as it develops, gives depth and further context to the plot.

Quoted the wrong post there, damn! :)

For me too. In fact, watching them back to back is like gorging on a boxset.

:pac:

Star Wars, primarily, for me is R1, ANH, ESB and ROTJ.

My jury is still out on whether the new trilogy will pass muster. Its start is littered with some terrible problems. But, in saying that, I'm pretty optimistic and 'The Last Jedi'.

I think this might have been an Alien Resurrection-esque mismatch of director and screenwriter. Lord and Miller are writers themselves, but Disney didn't ask them to write the script and probably for good reason. They committed to making Kasdan's script, but seemingly tried to change it into something closer to their own sensibilities on set. Abrams and Edwards did a lot of improvisation too, so I don't think Kennedy is opposed to it. And as I said earlier, Kasdan is no stranger to it either. But maybe Lord and Miller went too far. As homerun_runner said, a Star Wars comedy could work but this probably wasn't the right film to do it with.

Star Wars can be funny. But it can't really be all out comedy. Nobody remembers spaceballs? I reckon L&M were being far too self referential with the material and that was one of the problems.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

david75 wrote: »
    Star Wars can be funny. But it can't really be all out comedy. Nobody remembers spaceballs? I reckon L&M were being far too self referential with the material and that was one of the problems.

Spaceballs was a parody of Star Wars though not a Star Wars comedy. It could definitely work imo, though I don't think it would be a good idea to centre it around an established character like Han Solo.

So a full on kids movie just with the droids. Could be brilliant comedy.

• Advertisement

so a new trailer for the last Jedi has been classified by the BBFC
    It's 90 seconds long. Definitely being shown at D23 and or comic con

Rumour is it's gonna have a 'Chewie we're home' moment but it'll show Luke and Leia reuniting.

They wouldn't. Would they??
    Would that not be seen as a bit manipulative?

Grown men everywhere gonna be in tears. Me included.

Advertisement