Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which new car 162 €50k

Options
  • 15-07-2016 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

So I drive a 11 Mazda 6 and love the way it drives but am due a change. My wife has a new 6 so although I would love one I can't really go for one.

Thinking BMW 420d or Audi A5 or Jag XF

Benchmarking against Mazda 6 Platinum in terms of Drive and Spec.

Would appreciate feedback or other suggestions

Tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

narommy wrote: »
    So I drive a 11 Mazda 6 and love the way it drives but am due a change. My wife has a new 6 so although I would love one I can't really go for one.

Thinking BMW 420d or Audi A5 or Jag XF

Benchmarking against Mazda 6 Platinum in terms of Drive and Spec.

Would appreciate feedback or other suggestions

Tia

330e?

http://external.bmw.ie/sausage/templates/BMW2015/pdf/BMWModelRangePricelist.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭narommy

That could be a good call. Never knew it existed. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will be looking at a entry level 420d Gran Coupe SE for close to 50k and while the base spec is ok you will really need to hit the options list to get a "nice" spec on it. Gran Coupe btw will be getting a mid life refresh very soon just like the 3 Series got at the beginning of this year.

I'd rule out the A5 as the current model has been around since 2007 and it's being replaced with an all new model at the end of the year.

The new XF is bit of a disappointment imo, exterior looks very similar to the old model and the interior is nowhere near class leading and feels a bit low rent for the segment. Ditto with the smaller XE. The only thing that would tempt me would be the rarity and if you had more budget for extras.

What about a Merc C Class?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Op
    Do you want manual or auto?
    Petrol or diesel? What mileage annually do you do and is it urban or highway?
    Do you prefer comfort or a sporty drive?
    Does it have to have a " premium" badge?
    Are you spending your own money or a company car?
    All these factors will influence what people can recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

Mercedes Benz C220D coupe auto €48950 only 24 km ..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I wish I was you OP
    I'd buy a 99 corolla and probably spend the rest on Sweet's

Thanks

I have always driven manual other than when I have driven replacements cars. I like the sensation of "driving" but reading comments on boards there seems to be a lot in favour of Auto

I think I prefer a sport drive. I love driving Mazda 6. I love roundabouts, humpback bridges but also straight roads.

I think it has be be Diesel as I do around 35,000km pa. Daily commute is 5km winding road then onto M7 then onto M50 southbound so hitting traffic most days

I have been one of those people that would "never get a premium brand like a Merc or BMW" so it doesn't have to be a premium badge. It is a company car and "something like a 520" is approved in terms of cost of lease. So I may as well go for €50-55k

I have 3 kids including a 6' son so not sure about headspace of 420 but we have the Mazda 6 also.

I like the amount of Spec on a Mazda 6, and the look/curves. Not necessarily a Coupe

I've even started to look as Volvo xc60, Hyundai Santa Fe

I wish I was you OP
    I'd buy a 99 corolla and probably spend the rest on Sweet's

I would have been of the same mindset not so long ago.

I was going to go for non premium with good spec and would have been happy with that but was advised to get some thing "better" now my head is in a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

New Volvo S90 is worth a look. Haven't seen one in the flesh, or driven one yet, but for the most part it looks great (back is a bit questionable), has a huge list of standard specification, and if it drives like other recent Volvo's it should be a decent drive.

D4 (190ps) Momentum starts at €48,400 before delivery and Metallic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

The best thing around at the moment is the new Mercedes E Class, just came out in 161 period I think. My uncle has one, he came from the previous model e class and says this is light years ahead. I have been in it, but not driven it yet, it is beautiful.

Reviews by journalists online still say the bmw 5 series is the best drive in its class but the merc e class has raised the bar for interior design, technology etc. I am not crazy about its exterior for some reason though but I'd be looking in the direction of those 2 all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

six foot son?
    Skoda Superb L&K 2.0TDI 190bhp 4x4 DSG
    €47,715

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

What a lovely problem to have, hm? But then again thinking of it it is not an easy task. Maybe Lexus GS300h -not mentioned here yet?
    If you stretched to SUVs you would probably have a bigger choice - Lexus NX, BMW X3, Merc GLC (lovely car), Audi Q5. Or else something like CX-5, CRV or VW Tiguan (190bhp 4 Motion, R-line) fully kitted?

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bazz26 wrote: »
    You will be looking at a entry level 420d Gran Coupe SE for close to 50k and while the base spec is ok you will really need to hit the options list to get a "nice" spec on it. Gran Coupe btw will be getting a mid life refresh very soon just like the 3 Series got at the beginning of this year.

I'd rule out the A5 as the current model has been around since 2007 and it's being replaced with an all new model at the end of the year.

The new XF is bit of a disappointment imo, exterior looks very similar to the old model and the interior is nowhere near class leading and feels a bit low rent for the segment. Ditto with the smaller XE. The only thing that would tempt me would be the rarity and if you had more budget for extras.

What about a Merc C Class?

Struggling to find a low rent interior on a 2016 XF maybe im looking at the wrong pictures..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

OSI wrote: »
    It's less the look and more the feel of the materials. Button being spongy or creaky. Plastics deforming when you press on them that sort of stuff.

Yeah ive been in one and tbh i really didnt get that. No different to me than an A4 for example.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Mustang!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Can you get a petrol car? As there is a lot of very nice petrol cars about at €50,000.
    If not what about a 320D MSport Touring with a few nice extras?
    The reason for my suggestion is I was in a similar position six months ago and had a good long test drive of a 420 and wasn't really impressed. It was very small in the back and I'm only 5'8".
    The Jag is ok but I agree with the cheap looking post.
    New A4 3.0Tdi Quattro would be in your budget just about.
    Or the S90 Volvo as suggested, Volvo make beautiful interiors and that car would have the brand new factor too.

listermint wrote: »
    Struggling to find a low rent interior on a 2016 XF maybe im looking at the wrong pictures..

More the touch and texture of the materials used for me. Not the end of the world but still it's a 50k+ car.
    listermint wrote: »
    Yeah ive been in one and tbh i really didnt get that. No different to me than an A4 for example.

I'd expect a bit better from the XF to be honest given it's from the class above the A4.

Thanks to all. Really helps. Don't know anyone really in to cars

First World Problems

Going to test drive 420 and XC60
    Going to check into S 90

Thinking Volvo might be best in terms of Drive, Safety, Spec and not being a BMW or Merc and thus not ruffle too many sensibilities.

Any opinions on drive of XC60? reviews seem good?

Isn't the xc60 being replaced with a new model soon? There is a huge difference between a coupe and a SUV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

maddness wrote: »
    Can you get a petrol car? As there is a lot of very nice petrol cars about at €50,000.
    If not what about a 320D MSport Touring with a few nice extras?
    The reason for my suggestion is I was in a similar position six months ago and had a good long test drive of a 420 and wasn't really impressed. It was very small in the back and I'm only 5'8".
    The Jag is ok but I agree with the cheap looking post.
    New A4 3.0Tdi Quattro would be in your budget just about.
    Or the S90 Volvo as suggested, Volvo make beautiful interiors and that car would have the brand new factor too.

Company cars tend to have to be diesel because companies can claim back VAT on diesel used but not on petrol, why I don't know but that's the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

bazz26 wrote: »
    More the touch and texture of the materials used for me. Not the end of the world but still it's a 50k+ car.

I'd expect a bit better from the XF to be honest given it's from the class above the A4.

Super cheap door cards, cheap materials, lack of finish in the boot some rough finishing in general. Was really surprised by it after I saw it. Ended up going on a jag forum where a well regarded member claims that the finish budget for the XF was cut by 25% at the last minute. Still, the brother in law has had both the new and old models and loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

XC60 in our family..beautiful SUV but old hat now compared to the S90 and interior looking bit old now...its around 7 years now i think. Better off holding off for S90. Saw it beside CHQ on display and looked amazing to me. Some good online review videos on it too.

The XC60 has already a few years and technologically is a bit dated. It also comes from that era in Volvo when quality and finish wasn't up to the level expected from a premium badge - cheap looking squeaking plastics etc. At that kind of money there are better cars out there imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

walus wrote: »
    The XC60 has already a few years and technologically is a bit dated. It also comes from that era in Volvo when quality and finish wasn't up to the level expected from a premium badge - cheap looking squeaking plastics etc. At that kind of money there are better cars out there imo.

Having sat in a few in recent weeks I have to disagree. The finish is lovely in them, definitely not cheap looking plastics. Much better than the old model XC90s.

However they have been around for a while and I believe a new model is due next year.

fits wrote: »
    Having sat in a few in recent weeks I have to disagree. The finish is lovely in them, definitely not cheap looking plastics. Much better than the old model XC90s.

However they have been around for a while and I believe a new model is due next year.

I have to disagree with that. A friend owns one and it simply does not impress with a quality of interior. There is a good few rattles and squeaks here and there and the attention to detail is not as good as in its rivals. VW or even Skoda make better interiors when it comes to fit and finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭crusha101

Some people aren't going to like what i'm going to say but every second joe soap is driving a new audi and beemer financed up to their neck, although i am a big fan of the 4 series but even with such a big budget you would only be looking at a base spec model, Id def have a look at a jag be it an xf or xe absolutely stunning car great quality inside and out, you could get a great spec xe for your budget. Also the new volvo s90 coming out in sept is another stunning car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

walus wrote: »
    I have to disagree with that. A friend owns one and it simply does not impress with a quality of interior. There is a good few rattles and squeaks here and there and the attention to detail is not as good as in its rivals. VW or even Skoda make better interiors when it comes to fit and finish.

Well, each to their own I guess. I find it astounding that you think skoda make better interiors, and I have test driven both in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

fits wrote: »

I love the XC60 and have a 2010 at home as the family wagon, but it is beginning to show it's age now. Can be quite a few rattles and squeeks which is annoying, but the worst thing is how most of them drive - they aren't suited to FWD and the new engine unfortunately.

Ours is an AWD model with the more powerful, but more relaxed 5 Cylinder D5 engine. New engine is a great engine, but there's just too much power & torque for the vehicle to handle when it's all going through the front wheels. If you want to drive it on a bit, it's actually pretty decent, but you are constantly fighting with the steering wheel so it's not really a relaxing drive.

Very practical for families with a decent sized boot that's very wide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Op said he likes a drivers car which the s90 appears not to be, extremely comfortable by all accounts but in road test in autocar mag it ranked fifth behind jag xf, BMW 520d, Audi A6 and merc e220.
    Why not look at new jag f pace for something different?

Advertisement