Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long would it take to notice you were missing?

Options
2»

Comments

I'm disappearing from all social media including Boards for three months from Monday by the way. Just in case yizzers would be worried about me. I'm (probably!) not dead!

Anytime I've actually gone AWOL I've been captured and returned within a couple of hours. The efficiency of the Gardaí is amazing at times. Or maybe it's just hard to disappear in Dublin. (In fairness, most of those times I was gone missing from hospital ... so obviously that's going to be noticed quicker than in real life!)

Best of luck with your health LT, take care of yourself while you're gone and come back healthy and happy. :)

My granny goes into panic mode if I miss her nightly call. My parents would take a few days, people I work with would be hammering down the door if I didn't show up or call in sick, and my granddad would be on to the local fuzz to track me down if I miss our Sunday phone in.

So not long at all. :)

Say you go completely off radar. No social media, no answering phone calls, completely disappear. How long will it take for someone to notice something is amiss?

Are you ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭spaghettifier

Under an hour. I often wish people weren't constantly demanding my attention but, no way I could ever go missing lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ha!
    Well played OP.
    See which boards users you can pick off for your murderous adventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Ha!
    Well played OP.
    See which boards users you can pick off for your murderous adventures.

My secret plan has been uncovered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

A few days for myself, my mate is an online poker player who lives on his own doesnt talk to his neighbours who sometimes doesnt bother replying to txts, it would be a few weeks for him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

If I disappeared from the vitual world (social media, email, etc.) it could be years before anyone would notice.

In real life, a few hours at the max. The husband would be wondering where his tea is if I'm not home around 6, or text him to let him know I'll be late. And work would send someone round to check if I didn't show up and didn't let anyone know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

If it was during work time, I guess pretty quickly as they would contact my next of kin which we have to provide for emergency contacts. If I was on annual leave etc, it could be several days. All my family live in different counties and I don't live with my partner and while we mostly call/text daily, we can sometimes go a couple of days without contact. My contact with friends wouldn't always be on a daily basis either. If you live alone, I do believe you are more vulnerable to going unnoticed.

The saddest stories on the news are those about decomposed bodies found weeks/months after they died because no one noticed or cared that they hadn't been seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I can go days without speaking to anyone, so quite a while. Maybe a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I don't post anything on Facebook or other social media much anymore. So nobody would notice anything there. I am terrible at remembering to reply to text messages etc. So it would be a couple days for anyone to notice.
    At home I can't even go upstairs without my son checking where I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Work would notice, and the other people in the yard would notice my horse wasn't fed so I'd get a few hours max...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

If I didn't come home this evening he'd notice, now that the football is finished

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

About 0.2 seconds judging by the amount of calls I get to help people out or do favours...

I think you need to work on your evasion :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Wind erosion would probably be noticed before me going missing!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Nemesis......

If I didn't come home this evening he'd notice, now that the football is finished

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

FortySeven wrote: »
    Didn't go to work yesterday and got a garda call to check I was ok after 6 hours.

Look for a raise. You'll know then how much you be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Probably a week to a few weeks. Depending on time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Work would notice me missing if I am 2 minutes late, and would call my phone every 2 minutes like clockwork until I answer. My housemate didn't notice me missing when I went on holiday for 2 weeks last year, just a "haven't seen you about recently" when I got home. I'm also rarely ever on any social media accounts. So if I have holidays booked from work, could be a while before any search is commenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Didn't show up in the local for about a week and a half before I got a message from the owner. Took another week before a regular texted me.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

I'd say about 5 hours max, if I wasn't in work and nowhere to be seen my boyfriend would definitely be able to tell something was up and do something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

The cats would have me half eaten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

It would be an international incident if I was missing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I'm disappearing from all social media including Boards for three months from Monday by the way. Just in case yizzers would be worried about me. I'm (probably!) not dead!

So I know it's an old thread, but I decided to come back and update it because I'm back ON the radar, but I've been "missing" for six months now (twice as long as originally planned!) with no phone, no internet, very little contact with the outside world, etc. So, y'know, relevant and stuff.

What's it been like? Well, I'm told that Trump fecker is president now, oh and George Michael is dead?! Weird missing out and not really caring about stuff like that, and kind of a lovely relief in not HAVING to care or have an opinion on any of it too!

I've been in a totally safe place, getting my head and my life together, but not many of my friends or extended family knew where I was. Was I missed? Yeah, which is nice I guess. I think no one was overly worried, as they do know I've a caring loving family who would've raised the alarm if I were ACTUALLY missing and not just gone away. But I did get some lovely caring messages from people in my life who didn't know where I was, but who had noticed I wasn't online or around and were sending on their good wishes. It's nice the amount of Christmas/New Year messages I got from people who knew I wasn't online these days, who didn't know why, but just wanted to wish me well for when I did eventually read the message.

The main people who've probably been trying to get in touch with me are probably banks etc looking for money I owe them - nothing on a large scale at all, a few hundred here and there. Thankfully I left my old postal address behind me, along with my old phone number! So I've heard nothing yet, I'm sure they'll find a way to contact me if it's that urgent. I do feel kind of bad though for the tenants at my old address ... I didn't change the address at all regarding anyone I'd get post from, so there must be a fair amount piled up there (unless it's binned), I've no intentions of making any effort to collect it though.

I'm in no rush to re-immerse myself in social media etc any time soon. I'm big into mindfulness these days, and living in the present ... you can't do any of that if you're surgically attached to a phone in your hand, with the result being that your mind is a million other places, the way mine used to be! I did buy a phone yesterday, but to be honest I'll probably only even turn it on every couple of weeks or so. And I'll be quite careful about who I choose to give my new phone number to. I don't think that's being very hermit-y really ... just, it's my life, I get to choose who I give my time to. And what time I give, I'd rather it be face-to-face with people I actually really care about.

The world didn't collapse without me, as far as I can see! I'm actually really quite happy and proud of myself for having the balls and the insight to go for it and take myself out of circulation altogether to do what needed to be done for myself. I've always been ready and willing to go a million miles to help anyone else, so it's about time I learned to have similar care and compassion and respect for myself. :)

Sometimes it's the best thing in the world to realise how essential you're really NOT in everyone else's lives! I don't whinge any more about how shlt my life is, I don't secretly wish someone would step in and wave a magic wand and fix it all for me. I've finally stepped up for myself, and I've also discovered that there are so many good people who are only too ready and willing to help you when you're ready to make yourself your priority. But how can you expect to deserve or receive the right support from any external source, until you can genuinely put yourself first, and not in a theoretical airy-fairy way, but in a practical demonstrable way.

Anyways I don't expect to be properly back on any radar any time soon, at least not in the way I used to be. But I don't think I have lost (or will lose) any genuine friends by disappearing from circulation for a bit ... "those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." And all that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

A few hours during the working day. Less than an hour outside working hours. I'm a van driver by trade. I'm a dedicated family man on my own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Three, maybe four days.

I'd say if my IP address hadn't accessed xHamster's new content in that time, their web team would raise the alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Glad to read you're doing so much better Lady is a Tramp - I (obviously I had another account before this) noticed you weren't around and did wonder whether you were OK as I've read you post here very honestly and bravely about struggling with your illness.

Sometimes people have just suddenly stopped posting here out of the blue (not closed their account) and it's a bit concerning, especially if they have been open about difficulties, so this is awesome to see - thanks for the update!

Advertisement