Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long would it take to notice you were missing?

Options
  • 14-07-2016 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Say you go completely off radar. No social media, no answering phone calls, completely disappear. How long will it take for someone to notice something is amiss?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Probably around 4 hours. If I took that long to text my bf back he'd know something was up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

If I went off line for a few weeks I think there are only a small few that would notice.

If I physically went awol then I would be missed in hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Less than 24 hours definitely. Probably less than two. Doubt it would be acted upon for a few days though. They'd know I was probably either dead or needing time alone. Either way, reporting me as a missing person etc in the media certainly wouldn't help matters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Emm.....I've not heard from my friends in about 6 weeks and over 12 months from another group I just gave up on!
    (Long story)

About 2-3 weeks and my immediate family might notice....but I do make effort to stay in touch with them though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

2/3 hours tops. Either work or the family would notice me missing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Didn't go to work yesterday and got a garda call to check I was ok after 6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

"Didn't go to work yesterday and got a garda call to check I was ok after 6 hours."

Thats how merging back into the community and community service works. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

About 3-4 days, and it would be work looking for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭jiltloop

FortySeven wrote: »
    Didn't go to work yesterday and got a garda call to check I was ok after 6 hours.

Are you a Garda by any chance? If so that kind of dilutes your story somewhat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It depends, on a weekend, maybe a couple of hours but during the week I leave the house at 8am and my boyfriend wouldn't be home until after 11.00pm so he could potentially go the whole day and not miss me. We wouldn't necessarily text or call during the day either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Approx 3 mins, I can't go to the toilet (usually to eat biscuits in private) without my children launching a search party.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Winterlong wrote: »
    If I went off line for a few weeks I think there are only a small few that would notice. If I physically went awol then I would be missed in hours.

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

The dog would miss me. Not sure he could raise the alarm though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

jiltloop wrote: »
    Are you a Garda by any chance? If so that kind of dilutes your story somewhat. :)

Bipolar. Everyone worries about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Depends on the last time the guard checked on me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Riddle101

If family is included then it would probably take a few hours. If I just disappeared abruptly and wasn't answering my phone or anything, i'm sure my mother would be worried about me. But as far as friends are concerned, I could fly off the radar for ages and I doubt any of them would notice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Sure it's common enough only for the people that you live or work with to notice quickly.

I'm close to my friends and parents but at our age(s), we have our own lives. It wouldn't be a cause for alarm if they didn't hear from me even up to a week or two. Even longer for social media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Deedeemazzy

I imagine I could go missing for a full weekend..
    They might think I was just having a mood and not responding to social media/texts..
    If I didn't show up to work, they would probably worry..
    My cat though would miss me after a few hours..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

OP, it would entirely depend on your social circumstances and your own social network. In my case probably not that long as my husband would keep ringing me to know when I am coming home to ask what I am cooking for dinner when it is my turn. So I would probably just end up answering to stop him annoying me.

On a serious note it is often said that when people with known mental health issues go missing it is often presumed they went missing because of their health issues. This is quite worrying as we know from the Elaine O'Hara/Graham Dwyer case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

A day, or at least until i didn't get home for dinner...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Few days or up to a week. I'm not very prompt when it comes to returning calls or texts, unless it's my OH or my Dad. Anyone else.. my phone could be ringing in my hand and I mightn't bother answering it. My door generally doesn't get answered unless I'm expecting anyone. It would take a while before anyone would notice anything odd, because I can be a little elusive at the best of times.

Inside my house is another issue. I can't even sit on the toilet without hearing one of the kids ask where I am :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭KikiDee

Maybe a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

An hour before anyone would notice, a week before anyone would care.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

People still haven't copped it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Maybe the 12-15 hours between shifts at work.

I took two weeks off work recently and I could have disappeared the first day I was off and it wouldn't have been noticed until I was due back in work two weeks later. They'd probably have to inform my family :)

Being invisible is great. I should take more advantage of it really, become a spy selling secrets to the North Koreans or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I'm disappearing from all social media including Boards for three months from Monday by the way. Just in case yizzers would be worried about me. I'm (probably!) not dead!

Anytime I've actually gone AWOL I've been captured and returned within a couple of hours. The efficiency of the Gardaí is amazing at times. Or maybe it's just hard to disappear in Dublin. (In fairness, most of those times I was gone missing from hospital ... so obviously that's going to be noticed quicker than in real life!)

Probably the next day. I have 2 housemates who'd think it was odd if I didn't come home without a heads-up and I'm in contact with my parents most days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

20mins. Have to collect the kids at 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

About 0.2 seconds judging by the amount of calls I get to help people out or do favours...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Elvis Lennon

8 hours

Advertisement