Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Dries quickly between showers, we were there a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rossj

Hi all,

Im hoping to take my car and a lot of my belongings on the Rosslare-Bilbao crossing in late August

Am I better to book It now in advance or Will a) the prices go Up Closer to late august & b) what is BEST recommended economy, semi flexible or......!?

What Will be the average price & is a sleeping cabin on Top of what is being quoted on main interface Page of the website!?

Thanks for any advice in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Baybay

Typically, most families book well in advance as travel during school holidays is usually expensive. In that regard, you may already be a little late. Cabins, kennels, meals etc are usually added extras. I’d consider a cabin essential. I don’t know how popular or busy your intended route is but maybe telephone the ferry company & see what’s possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Just booked our trip to France today, never left it so late before!

Anyway, pleased and surprised to see it come in over €200 cheaper than last years trip, although all details are the same.

Out 9th August, returning 22nd August, Irish Ferries to Cherbourg.

3 Adults, Motorhome and a 4 berth inside cabin both ways, €975.00

Last year went out 12 August and returned 25th August, €1204.00

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

That’s a brilliant deal. I’m paying a good bit more than that next week.

• Advertisement

Yeah, happy with the price (all things considered).

Was looking a few weeks ago, and whatever combination of dates I was looking at, it was a good bit more.

Only for "return to school" requirements, you could have knocked another €125 off by coming back September 5th.

No cabin availability left on the earlier September sailings.

Post edited by Nekarsulm on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭talla

Sailed out on WB Yeats yesterday for the first time, was only half full. It’s a nice ship but still prefer Brittany Ferries Pont Aven or even the old Oscar Wilde.

I think it’s just the big open spaces I’m not fond of, reminds me a lot of Dublin Airport T2, struggling for atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭joe1303l

WB Yeats was also less than 50% capacity early last week on Dub-Cherbourg. Nice boat but overpriced hence not full. Generally cheaper to fly and hire a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

In my experience, ferry prices don't generally fluctuate in the way that flight prices do. The price you'll get today for specific dates shouldn't be much different from what you would have got a month ago, or what you'll get in a month's time.

Either way, the cabin price will definitely be on top of the first price you see, which will refer only to the crossing itself.

Just had a quick look myself at the website for Rosslare-Bilbao. Throwing in a couple of dates towards end of August gave a price of approx. €600 return, but adding a cabin would be an extra €250 (ish) each way, bringing actual total price to about €1,100.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Looking for a nice hotel near nantes for one night before we fly home and end of July. Will have car. Any recommendations welcome. 2 adults and 2 kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Baybay

We’ve stayed a few times in the Best Western Hotel de la Régate near Nantes, ten or fifteen minutes outside. It’s on the River Erdre so there are nice walks, views etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Have a look at the tram links to the periphery of the city and decide whether you want to take a tram in on an evening for dinner/drinks and whether you want to position yourselves in a hotel alongside a line or not. I did that but stayed in a small hotel near to the Stade de la Beaujoire just North of the city, hotel was nothing more than a place to rest and leave the car so wasn't in any way exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭McSween

I prefer the cabins on wby. The ooen spaces are a bit unusual alright. But the steakhouse on oscar wilde was very nice. I think they still have it on gmv allegra (new name).

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

We booked our Irish Ferries trip back in December, flexifare, sailed this week.

As the prices came down significantly since we booked, I was able to get a quote price on the website for the same package. Then I rang Irish Ferries, asked them to cancel my original booking and use the flexifare credit to pay for the new booking. Kept the excess as credit for next year. Delighted. Hope someone else can avail of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Can anyone report on the Roscoff passport check speed. Last year we were on the upper deck (Pont Aven), spent about 1.5 getting out of the port.. hoping its quicker this year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

This time tomorrow I'll be on the WB Yeats 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deeman83

Me also! I'm expecting a full boat, a slow disembark and a busy passport queue.

Save travels everyone!

There is something special about going on a ferry to France. All we were missing last time was an IRL sticker and roof rack, to emulate the early 1990s trips. P

And a folded map and route-plan written on a page!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ah, the panic when you missed turn 43 on the 7 pages of printed out RAC directions.

And then it was decision time, do we try and recover and get back on our original route or do we continue on using a map which had the same level of detail as a secondary school atlas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,775 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

and yellow headlight stickers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

on the subject of safe travels, take care with your small kids on the ferry.

There was a tragic accident on a Stena ferry from Poland to Sweden yestrday with a 7 year old child and the mother who jumped in to save him both now dead.

Of course. Great memories.

i always remember the Bonbons sweets. They were oval shaped boiled sweet in different flavours. We couldnt find them in April though.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭gaillimh

Hi.

We are on the Pont Aven ship now - due into Cork tomorrow approx 11am.

Anyone know somewhere close to the ferry port that does breakfast/brunch after midday?

Guessing it will be this time by the time we are away & probably won’t eat on the ferry. Most places finish brekkie type food by 12.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Flew off the boat last week. No delay at all. Lower deck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I'd do that with the car except accommodation is so expensive in France in August

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

We are bringing our own sheets. Will fiat sheets do or should we bring duvet covers?

Tent and a camp bed, sleeping bag, camp chair, etc, gas stove and box of utensils, be grand.

Camping is far more widespread and acceptable in France than here.

Bring duvet covers. Our kids ended up sleeping under the duvet covers rather than the duvets due to the heat. Handy to have them packed and not needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Can’t recommend Normandy Wine Cherbourg enough- so helpful and some cracking wines - however I would also recommend phoning in advance and booking wine you want as there were a few on the website not in stock which was a pity as I could have got them elsewhere before arriving there.

I know the red bus wine supermarket is often recommended on forums - I just thought quality of the wine offered in this place was that little bit better but depends what you’re looking for I guess- what’s other people’s experiences?

PS- happy to recommend a few reasonably priced but super reds whites and roses if people need advice

Advertisement