Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Drop into Fougeres and visit the castle?

Very nice crepes and pizzas in the square just outside the authentic moat and drawbridge.

Saint-Malo is another option, just a little out of the way, but still not too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

HI All,

we are off to La Baume for the first time mid-july. Few questions if anyone can help would be great:

Swimwear - what is permitted for teenage boy and dad? Where can these type of speedos/trunks be sourced ?

Kids club (for 13/12 year olds) - Is there one? is ot any good/worth it?

Anyother tips.

We are in Frejus for a week before hand

flying in and out of Nice.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Hi guys.

We are heading down towards Ile de Re at the weekend from the Roscoff ferry terminal (ferry due in on Sunday morning at 7am).

I'm just planning the route I should take at the minute.

The two main options I have are below - the routes merge into one from Nantes onwards.

ONE: Morlaix, Saint Brieuc, Rennes, Nantes.

TWO: Quimper, Vannes, Nantes.

Google maps has them at more or less the same time (ten mins of a difference).

Was just wondering if anyone who has driven these routes before could tell me if one route is better than the other - I guess in terms of ease of drive, are the roads on one of the routes better than the other, is one more picturesque than the other etc.

Or are they much of a muchness.

Cheers in advance for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jack0125

Option - ONE: Morlaix, Saint Brieuc, Rennes, Nantes. is almost boringly simple. Dual carriage way for 3 to 4 hrs driving. I think the slip road in Rennes to head south to Nantes was very simple (No drama). If its your first time driving in France I would advise this. Just to get used to being in the right hand lane.

TWO: Quimper, Vannes, Nantes. - our second campsite last year was near Vannes and when heading back to Roscoff it was all "50kms on this road" "20kms on that road", roundabouts, etc (We didnt go as far as Quimper, more overland than that.). Get stuck behind slow moving traffic as a lot is normal single land roads

They are the same time, but different driving propositions.

The first via Rennes is my preference. Better road over all and avoids the narrow single-lane stuff up to Quimper.

Post edited by 10-10-20 on

• Advertisement

Option one sounds like the way to go. Thanks very much for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Hope you enjoy La Baume, we’ve been twice and are going again this year. The pools are simply some of the best we’ve seen (been to about ten French campsites!) The site is not for everyone due to its size, only one decent restaurant on site but I’m ok with that as we bbq most nights or pasta / pizza the others!!

Regarding the swimwear, you son and dad will have to wear the trunks, absolutely no exceptions! Decathlon a good place to pick some up. (There’s a Decathlon about 10 mins car journey away from La Baume).

we haven’t used the kids club in La Baume but Eurocamp certainly have them if that’s who you’re staying with. They’ve been good for us over the years at other sites.

Have a great time and any more questions just ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 garrethr

I'm doing a similar route (roscoff to la tranche sur mer). Thinking of going between your mentioned routes, via Jossellin and onto Nantes. It's a nice heritage town to stop and break the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Does anyone know of restrictions for a bike rack on Irish Ferries? I have a tow bar mounted bike rack that can take 3-4 bikes, it's pretty big. Would I need to pay for it as a trailer, or fine as is? It doesn't have wheels of its own, it just fits onto the towbar.

Thanks for any advice !

• Registered Users Posts: 21 garrethr

No, Camping le Jard, recently upgraded and has a bigger pool area for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

Hi all, we are booked in the ferry on saturday and we've had to change the car we are bringing. No problem there but the smaller car now means we need to bring a roofbox. I have the bikes booked as an extra for the back of the car but when i was talking to the ferry company today i tried to book a roof box and they said there is no more room on the ferry. I was thinking of turning up with one on anyway and hoping for the best, what do people think? Ive traveled irish ferries ans stena line before and never had any issue, but not sure how brittany ferries operate...

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭KrakityJones

I'd chance it. We came over with Brittany only last Monday. Like yourself the car I'd booked decided to pack it in so had to change. Now I did have a roof bag booked but car is higher so I was like a madman with the measuring tape making sure I didn't go over. In the end I was over and no way could I flatten it anymore (roof bag). I said sod it I'll take my chances.

I wasn't even measured or looked at, we were parked beside a row of vans/campers so I could have stacked another 6 roofbags on top and would have been grand. Was a bit perplexed as to why they were so "strict" about the height. Ferry was quiet and still technically off season so maybe get get pickier later but for me anyway certainly no issue.

Ferry companies are far removed from the standards and heavy restrictions of airlines, you'll probably be fine. At worst you'll be loaded sideways with the trucks and campers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

I did this myself

Paid the extra money to be put in with higher vehicles

But 95% of cars have box or bag so it seems like I wasted my money it's not like any of the decks are like 2 meters in height

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I never paid extra when we travelled with a 4-bike towbar rack, just showed up with it and nobody said anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Baybay

We haven’t stayed there but I know where it is. It does look attractive when driving by, I think. Handy for lots of beaches, day trips to various cities or towns, plenty of vigneronnes & the canal but I’m sure that’s all in the campsite blurb.

Sorry not to be more helpful about the site itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gttc16

As you arrive in early on a sunday morning either route would be suitable. We did route 2 going to St Jean de monts and it was grand, slightly more relaxed on the road, less motorway, more national roads and dual carrigway (110kph). I found off the boat everyone is inclined to sleep for 2 or 3 hours anyway as it docks 6am irish time, 7am french time, so you get a good bit down the road in relative quietness. You also get to go over the bridge at St Nazaire, 😮😮😮 As said though, if you meet traffic on the D roads between Quimper and Morlaix it can be harder to pass.

Route 1 is also a good option, as once in Morlaix you are on motorway all the way to Nantes nearly without any tolls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭kindalen

Got an email from Irish Ferries about upcoming trip, had a link to AA Euro breakdown cover. Was about €150 for me for once off trip. After reading here about the motorway breakdown setup in France, and having a fairly new car in good shape, I won't be bothered with it at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

This time two weeks I'll be on the ferry 🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Seems expensive but only other offering seemed to be around €80 from Kelair but it had very small claim limits and didn’t seem worth bothering with. AA have €15 off if you buy online but it still expensive for maybe 2 weeks of cover.

Post edited by joe1303l on

I used to have a policy with Axa. Priced it with Axa uk, annual cost is £75.50(decent cover too!).

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

On the surface most of these policies seem OK but when you read the details and consider the exclusions they tend to change when you add in your travel plans.

For instance a family going Cork - Roscoff and heading for the Vendee area. If they were to use the french motorway network for the majority of the route down they would be either excluded or in restricted cover for the most of the trip.

Only real benefit is if you’re unlucky enough to have your car breakdown and not be able to get it fixed before you need to get home. In that instance, replacement car hire, transport home for a family and recovery of the car back home could easily cost €3K-€5K. Not sure how you’d fare out with a UK policy, repatriation wording is usually “recovery of vehicle back to the UK”. Not much use if you live in Cork.

UK policy would be pointless for Republic residents, was highlighting poor value of AA cover. Best of luck to all and fingers crossed for no breakdowns!

Definitely poor value but no competition gives them a free hand to price gouge. Overheating and Air Con issues are the most common problems that crop up for Irish drivers on the continent.

And battery failures as the battery can't maintain charge in the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭josip

If any one ever has a problem with the engine overheating, turn on the cabin heat and fan to full (lower the windows :) and keep the speed lower than usual. It might be enough to get you back to the ferry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tobdom

Just on the topic of breakdown assist, I also did research ahead of our recent trip and found it hard to get cover at a decent price. Clearly a lot of discussion on here about the value of it, but i preferred to have it than not.

As our trip wasn't booked with Kelair they wouldn't sell me their breakdown cover, but I was able to purchase it directly from the source, here: https://www.accidentgeneral.ie/ - got the roadside assistance insurance for €66 for 15 days (includes home departure & arrival days).

Thankfully didn't need to use it, but better to be looking at it than looking for it!

We had a great first trip to France and will likely now become annual visitors. Cork to Roscoff and then the relatively short drive down to Benodet in South Western Brittany. Fantastic Sandaya campsite, right beside the beach also, great weather throughout bar a bit of rain on two days.

This has been a great forum for hints & tips, so thanks to all!

Advertisement