Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stop lines at junctions

Options
  • 13-07-2016 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭

I've always thought that a stop line at a junction if the FIRST solid line you meet and you should always stop behind this line. Increasingly I see drivers roll up to the 'pedestrian crossing' lines and ignore all other lines including the shaded cyclists lines. Is this just ignorance or is it generally accepted to ignore the first solid line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,120 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just stupid drivers being typically stupid. See plenty of drivers stop their vehicles in the bicycle zone ahead of the white stop line too as if the different colour tarmac and painting of a bicycle in the centre are just there for decoration or fun.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have also started noticing people entering the right turn box at a junction when lights are red. The mind really boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's not an accepted rule but not generally enforced and so people think they can get away with it. Or maybe they just have difficulties with some of the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭ofcork

There is one on patrick st cork where drivers go past the stop line and stop at the brick paving and half block traffic from academy st.

I see people stopping well after the stop line at the riverside estate in Galway - well past the induction loop that triggers the lights.
    They then sit there waiting until someone comes up behind them to trigger the lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Please don't do this if you're a driver. As a cyclist, you need that space to be in front of the vehicles without blocking the pedestrian crossing - waiting back in between the traffic is usually way more dangerous because of visibility and lack of assigned cycle lanes. This happens to me a lot at the junction of Granby Row and Dorset Street, buses and taxis are the worst offenders for taking up that space.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's drivers not paying attention. On the N81 heading East at the Belgard Road junction they resurfaced the road and never replaced the shell. People are stopping meters from the stop line and give me dirty looks when I pull up to the stop line, like the look as you drive past in an out of service bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Every single advanced stop line for cyclist I see there's a car stopped in the red box. I think people actually don't know the difference.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's the typical Irish mentality - if there's a rule there to be broken, they will do it, even if there is no gain for the driver and it blocks the parallel lines showing where pedestrians should cross.

Then there is simple stupidity, like where someone (it's almost always a van) is turning left and they come to a stop so far across the stop line that they can't see the filter light on their left so the guy behind has to honk them when the left arrow comes on. Then they look over at the traffic lights in the middle of the junction which are still showing red and they refuse to budge until that light goes green.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

coylemj wrote: »
    It's the typical Irish mentality

No. It isn't Irish mentality.

It is a worldwide mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Maybe they identify as cyclists ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Because being 2 metres ahead makes them quicker. I love it when there are 2 lanes, they are in the right lane and they drive onto the cyclist box and I still end up being quicker in the left lane without breaking speed limits even though I didn't enter the box. Completely pointless really :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I have also started noticing people entering the right turn box at a junction when lights are red. The mind really boggles.

I see this all the time in Dublin where there is a green arrow for straight ahead. They enter the box, then make a right or left turn, and generally they drive through a group of pedestrians who are crossing with a green man!!

Idiots!
    Might see if I can get a Garda to hang out at the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

We are the worst drivers in Europe everyday i see things that only re affirm this for me. I've driven all over Europe and done all the 'crazies' Italy, Malta, Czech republic - we might not mirror does countries haphazard approach to roundabouts etc but for obeying general rules of the road, driver etiquette and education we are a 3rd world motoring country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Or the total opposites that don't move up into that box when they have the green. Thus not triggering the sensor and left wondering why they did t get the filter light. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Or the other tossets who stop at the red lights and not at the stop line which might be before the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭degsie

Marcusm wrote: »
    Or the other tossets who stop at the red lights and not at the stop line which might be before the junction.

Eh? Aren't all stop lines before the junction :confused:

degsie wrote: »
    Eh? Aren't all stop lines before the junction :confused:

Sometimes you'll get offset junctions like this one; cars exiting Merton Drive are not controlled by the lights but 90% of those turning right into the yellow box will stop at the red light which relates to the stop line 50m behind.

Sometimes you'll get offset junctions like this one; cars exiting Merton Drive are not controlled by the lights but 90% of those turning right into the yellow box will stop at the red light which relates to the stop line 50m behind.

I can't see they have much of a choice.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    I can't see they have much of a choice.

And that explains the problem with 99% of drivers - they are never controlled by that light, it relates to a stop line they never cross, they join the road through the yellow box and the stop line is before the box.

And that explains the problem with 99% of drivers - they are never controlled by that light, it relates to a stop line they never cross, they join the road through the yellow box and the stop line is before the box.

But there appears to be a pedestrian crossing just after the yellow box.

2zg9ldi.jpg

So you are saying that if the car in this pic turns right, they should ignore the red light?

There is no stop line before the pedestrian crossing and there are plenty of sequences at that junction where the light is red but not to allow pedestrians to cross. I am saying that any driver stopping at the light in the box is blocking the highway and causing a hazard. The red light has nothing to do with anyone in the yellow box or beyond. Clearly they should give way to pedestrians in the road and should proceed with caution as the cars coming from Marlborough Riad may forget that they have to give way to vehicles already on Sandford Road however they got there. It is bizarre that an uncontrolled road discharges into a controlled junction, however, there is no authority to stop at the position of the red light. The car would simply be blocking the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

There is no stop line before the pedestrian crossing and there are plenty of sequences at that junction where the light is red but not to allow pedestrians to cross. I am saying that any driver stopping at the light in the box is blocking the highway and causing a hazard. The red light has nothing to do with anyone in the yellow box or beyond. Clearly they should give way to pedestrians in the road and should proceed with caution as the cars coming from Marlborough Riad may forget that they have to give way to vehicles already on Sandford Road however they got there. It is bizarre that an uncontrolled road discharges into a controlled junction, however, there is no authority to stop at the position of the red light. The car would simply be blocking the road.

There is no authority to pass the red light.

The car turning in the picture is required to stop at the red light, there does not need to be a stop line with a red light.

Legislation states you can't pass a red light unless there's a filter light giving authority to pass the red.

GM228 wrote: »

The car turning in the picture is required to stop at the red light, there does not need to be a stop line with a red light.

Legislation states you can't pass a red light unless there's a filter light giving authority to pass the red.

There is a white line associated with the red light; however, as with many urban red lights, it is not coincident with it. Do you mean that junctions with red lights at both side of the junction, if one passes the first red light and coincident white line on green or amber but not passed the second one before it turns red, it is beholden upon you to stop in the middle of the junction impeding the flow of traffic? That is the situation here and the junction is further enhanced by the yellow box.

Really it just another example of ****ty road infrastructure from the powers that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

There is a white line associated with the red light; however, as with many urban red lights, it is not coincident with it. Do you mean that junctions with red lights at both side of the junction, if one passes the first red light and coincident white line on green or amber but not passed the second one before it turns red, it is beholden upon you to stop in the middle of the junction impeding the flow of traffic? That is the situation here and the junction is further enhanced by the yellow box.

Even with a white line you still have no authority to pass the red light if your already past the white line.

Is there another red light before that one out of the picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

Even with a white line you still have no authority to pass the red light if your already past the white line.

Is there another red light before that one out of the picture?

I know that junction well.

The yellow box is there to facilitate cars coming out from Merton Drive and turning right.

They should stop in the box after turning if the lights on the main road are red. Granted only two or three cars can get through in each light change, but when they are there they are not holding up any traffic.

There is no stop line before the pedestrian crossing

But there is a solid white line AT the pedestrian crossing. You should stop before this line if that light is red.

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    I know that junction well.

The yellow box is there to facilitate cars coming out from Merton Drive and turning right.

They should stop in the box after turning if the lights on the main road are red. Granted only two or three cars can get through in each light change, but when they are there they are not holding up any traffic.

But where does that leave the never enter a yellow box unless your exit is clear rule?

Advertisement