Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016-17 New Season's Resolutions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,666 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Some interesting opinions on the whole 'to hit or not to hit' debate.

Interesting to see on McGettigan's blog that he only made 39 transfers last season.

I think I made around 50 and can't remember if any of them were actually worth it in either the short or medium term....apart from Valencia on the very last weekend...his contribution along with Smalling's epic OG won me my work league by a point

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Cartman78 wrote: »

Interesting to see on McGettigan's blog that he only made 39 transfers last season.

I think I made around 50 and can't remember if any of them were actually worth it in either the short or medium term....apart from Valencia on the very last weekend...his contribution along with Smalling's epic OG won me my work league by a point

I think you can argue the pros and cons til the cows come home, but it boils down to the RIGHT hit is worth it. Identifying the right hit is, of course, the tricky part.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Cartman78 wrote: »

I don't think there is a right strategy regarding hits or no hits besides not taking useless ones. You'll find both conservative and more hit happy players that consistently finish in the top 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

I don't think there is a right strategy regarding hits or no hits besides not taking useless ones. You'll find both conservative and more hit happy players that consistently finish in the top 10k

I think the only 'wrong' policy regarding hits is having a rigid policy. That's why I don't really agree fully with McGettigan16's article. Having a rule, or objectives not to take hits is a safe option to an extent, but in my experience not taking a hit when it's needed can often cost you as much if not more than taking one that doesn't work out.

Being flexible and responding to where you find yourself is the key to this game, unless you are lucky/clever enough to have picked a perfect team from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Never captain someone in the 12:45 game on Saturday.

easy enough, the early Saturday kickoffs are now at 12:30 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭shineon23

easy enough, the early Saturday kickoffs are now at 12:30 :D

Captaining Rooney in that Friday night game last year still causes me to wake in the middle of the night in tears.

More of the same next season no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Mike Ehrmantraut

Never triple captain Lukaku.

Never captain Lukaku on a double gw.

Never captain Lukaku.

My prayers last season (which may have involved some choice language) to have Pelle sent to Outer Mongolia have paid off. China is close enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Never captain someone in the 12:45 game on Saturday*. It can be a long weekend, if/when the player blanks....I'm looking at you Aguero, with your measly 2 points Vs Norwich last season!

*This resolution may have to be reviewed with the Friday games starting this year.

He scored 4 against Spurs in the early kickoff the season before :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

The early kickoff myth has been dispelled multiple times, it's more of a psychological thing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

New season resolution

1) wait for ElTel to post his team.
    2) copy said team
    3) use said team to win a number of cash leagues.
    4) retire to yacht with winnings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The early kickoff myth has been dispelled multiple times, it's more of a psychological thing

Yep. Here's something I put together through 30 weeks of last season:

I've seen a lot of people saying it's a bad idea captaining players in the early kick off due to a lack of goals/action in these games. I actually thought the same until a couple of years ago when I sat down and researched it and it became apparent that this wasn't really the case at all. It's a complete myth.

Using this season for example, with gameweeks where there was no early kick off removed:

Week 1: United 1-0 Spurs
    Week 2: Southampton 0-3 Everton
    Week 3: United 0-0 Newcastle
    Week 4: Newcastle 0-1 Arsenal
    Week 5: Everton 3-1 Chelsea
    Week 6: Chelsea 2-0 Arsenal
    Week 7: Spurs 4-1 City
    Week 8: Palace 2-0 West Brom
    Week 9: Spurs 0-0 Liverpool
    Week 11: Chelsea 1-3 Liverpool
    Week 12: Bournemouth 0-1 Newcastle
    Week 13: Watford 1-2 United
    Week 15: Stoke 2-0 City
    Week 16: Norwich 1-1 Everton
    Week 18: Stoke 2-0 United
    Week 20: West Ham 2-0 Liverpool
    Week 22: Spurs 4-1 Sunderland
    Week 23: Norwich 4-5 Liverpool
    Week 25: City 1-3 Leicester
    Week 26: Sunderland 2-1 United
    Week 27: West Ham 1-0 Sunderland
    Week 29: Spurs 2-2 Arsenal
    Week 30: Norwich 0-0 City

60 goals in 23 early games gives us an average of 2.60 goals per game. The Premier League average is 2.63 goals per games, so it's virtually identical. I don't have the time to include stats for other seasons but trust me, it's pretty much the same story.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The BB and to a lesser extent the 2nd wildcard are imo viewed in much the same way as the captaincy. Hold on to them for a late boost. The points that you end the season with are what matters not when you got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

Paully D wrote: »
    Yep. Here's something I put together through 30 weeks of last season:

I've seen a lot of people saying it's a bad idea captaining players in the early kick off due to a lack of goals/action in these games. I actually thought the same until a couple of years ago when I sat down and researched it and it became apparent that this wasn't really the case at all. It's a complete myth.

Using this season for example, with gameweeks where there was no early kick off removed:

Week 1: United 1-0 Spurs
    Week 2: Southampton 0-3 Everton
    Week 3: United 0-0 Newcastle
    Week 4: Newcastle 0-1 Arsenal
    Week 5: Everton 3-1 Chelsea
    Week 6: Chelsea 2-0 Arsenal
    Week 7: Spurs 4-1 City
    Week 8: Palace 2-0 West Brom
    Week 9: Spurs 0-0 Liverpool
    Week 11: Chelsea 1-3 Liverpool
    Week 12: Bournemouth 0-1 Newcastle
    Week 13: Watford 1-2 United
    Week 15: Stoke 2-0 City
    Week 16: Norwich 1-1 Everton
    Week 18: Stoke 2-0 United
    Week 20: West Ham 2-0 Liverpool
    Week 22: Spurs 4-1 Sunderland
    Week 23: Norwich 4-5 Liverpool
    Week 25: City 1-3 Leicester
    Week 26: Sunderland 2-1 United
    Week 27: West Ham 1-0 Sunderland
    Week 29: Spurs 2-2 Arsenal
    Week 30: Norwich 0-0 City

60 goals in 23 early games gives us an average of 2.60 goals per game. The Premier League average is 2.63 goals per games, so it's virtually identical. I don't have the time to include stats for other seasons but trust me, it's pretty much the same story.

No data to back it up but I was under the impression that while the early games produce goals, the points usually go to random players.
    When I say random players, I mean second choice fpl players with the most selected option getting low points.
    Just my opinion. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Only resolution I've made is to take a year off. Wondering if I'm going to follow through.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,087 ✭✭✭✭CSF

keano_afc wrote: »
    Only resolution I've made is to take a year off. Wondering if I'm going to follow through.
    If you're here in July, you're kidding yourself if you think you're following through :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 48,190 ✭✭✭✭km79

CSF wrote: »
    If you're here in July, you're kidding yourself if you think you're following through :D:D:D:D

Yes indeed
    I made the same resolution and yet here I am eagerly awaiting zlatans price :D

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Rules in my head were

No new signings
    No promoted club players
    No players who were in action late in euros

First player I saw was valdes and I clicked add to team which immediately broke two rules haha

Fml

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Wasn't going to play this year but sure what else would you be at:)

Main resolutions would be to make less hasty transfers and not be afraid to leave a player or two injured on the bench if it suits the squad that week.
    Also to change the hot soup the lads get at halftime in winter games....could make a big difference in results;)

Advertisement