Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016-17 New Season's Resolutions

Options
  • 11-07-2016 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,664 ✭✭✭

On the eve of the new FPL season, what past mistakes are you keen to avoid this time around???

I was a noob last year so made plenty of boo-boos

1) Forget about club loyalty - had Clyne for half the season and captained Benteke more times than I'm willing to admit

2) Avoid double defence if possible - those last minute meaningless consolation goals can be so damaging

3) Never sign Pelle

4) Never captain Pelle

5) I'm going to spend more time actually picking my team rather than obsessively following live games and checking my projected rank on FFIX

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

1) Win it.
    2) Be more of a dullard.
    3) Win the Cup.
    4) Be more of a maverick and ignore 2.

I never understood peoples obsession with checking their projected rank the whole time maybe I'm just too old school.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,185 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cartman78 wrote: »
    On the eve of the new FPL season, what past mistakes are you keen to avoid this time around???

I was a noob last year so made plenty of boo-boos

1) Forget about club loyalty - had Clyne for half the season and captained Benteke more times than I'm willing to admit

2) Avoid double defence if possible - those last minute meaningless consolation goals can be so damaging

3) Never sign Pelle

4) Never captain Pelle

5) I'm going to spend more time actually picking my team rather than obsessively following live games and checking my projected rank on FFIX
    3 and 4 as well . At least it's impossible now :D
    Also never sign lukaku
    Never captain lukaku
    TC aguero

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

1) Don't be afraid to be bold with some captain decisions.
    2) If my team starts looking like it could do with some improvements, take a couple of hits to nip it in the bud early before my ranking suffers.
    3) Never miss a Friday night deadline.

1) Don't be afraid to be bold with some captain decisions.
    2) If my team starts looking like it could do with some improvements, take a couple of hits to nip it in the bud early before my ranking suffers.
    3) Never miss a Friday night deadline.

This! Could easily make the biggest difference as a lot of people are bound to get caught out on the Fridays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Turkey Creek

Just general use of Wild Cards and chips really

Have been far too reckless in the past

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Once the season starts I am not looking at this forum anymore. No offense guys, but so often last season I had a decision made, would come in here have a read, end up second guessing myself, changing my mind and it would cost me.

The season before last I did no social media or foruming and got a much higher total and standing as there we no distractions.

gimmick wrote: »
    Once the season starts I am not looking at this forum anymore. No offense guys, but so often last season I had a decision made, would come in here have a read, end up second guessing myself, changing my mind and it would cost me.

The season before last I did no social media or foruming and got a much higher total and standing as there we no distractions.

Not listening to people on the internet is like rule number one of the internet. Never break rule number 1!

While that may have happened you are probably only remembering the times it went wrong and not all the times it went right. Its hard to beat crowd wisdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

As a villa fan I won't have to look at Villa players ruining my squad this season so that helps break club loyalty.

I am not wildcarding after gw2 again ever.

Never ever Captain Pelle or Lukaku

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Staying away from punts. Did it a lot last year, and got absolutely nothing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,236 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Going to keep a good eye on pre season games for the newly promoted teams this year. Had Callum Wilson at the start of the year but who'd have thought Ighalo was going to be as good as he was int he first half. Pre season indicated it so hopefully can find another gem this year!

• Advertisement

I'd watch 2-3 live games, MOTD and MOTD 2. Then I'd decide what I was going to do early in the week (bar injury) and it worked a treat. The few times I changed my mind at the last minute it didn't work out.

So go with my early observations and ignore 'logic' just before the GW starts.

Edit - I also hope quite a few posters resolve to stop saying 'I was gonna....', 'I knew that would happen because....' and so on. Make your decisions and stop crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Not panic after 3 weeks and wildcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I wouldn't worry about Pelle, he is off to China

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

kilburn wrote: »
    As a villa fan I won't have to look at Villa players ruining my squad this season so that helps break club loyalty.

I am not wildcarding after gw2 again ever.

Never ever Captain Pelle or Lukaku
    Nuts102 wrote: »
    Not panic after 3 weeks and wildcard.

Mine is don't be afraid to WC early!!

WC'ing after GW2 was the best move I made last year. If it's needed again, I'll do it.

I'm never captaining Lukaku.

I'm avoiding hits unless absolutely necessary - my record with hits is shockingly bad. It's a personal thing, they work for lots of people.

I won't be WC'ing to set my team up for a DGW. Cost me 50k in rank and my ML last season.

Benimar wrote: »
    Mine is don't be afraid to WC early!!

WC'ing after GW2 was the best move I made last year. If it's needed again, I'll do it.

I'm never captaining Lukaku.

I'm avoiding hits unless absolutely necessary - my record with hits is shockingly bad. It's a personal thing, they work for lots of people.

I won't be WC'ing to set my team up for a DGW. Cost me 50k in rank and my ML last season.

Realistically if you need to wildcard after 2 weeks than you have picked poorly from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Realistically if you need to wildcard after 2 weeks than you have picked poorly from the start.

Not necessarily. Look at the amount of good players who used it between GW2 and 3 last season.

I personally think 2 weeks is too early, but the correct call last year as a once off. However, I'm a believer in a GW4 WC as the transfer window is closed, we have more details of starting XIs and who has hit the ground running.

It is very easy to pick the 'incorrect' team at the start. Remember the likes of Depay, Hazard and Chelsea defenders in GW1 teams last year? Even Kane and Aguero were 'poor' picks at the start.

Benimar wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Look at the amount of good players who used it between GW2 and 3 last season.

I personally think 2 weeks is too early, but the correct call last year as a once off. However, I'm a believer in a GW4 WC as the transfer window is closed, we have more details of starting XIs and who has hit the ground running.

It is very easy to pick the 'incorrect' team at the start. Remember the likes of Depay, Hazard and Chelsea defenders in GW1 teams last year? Even Kane and Aguero were 'poor' picks at the start.

Fair point forgot about the transfer window.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Better to realise you got things wrong quickly.

What's obvious in GW2 can easily be hidden in the long grass of preseason.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'd hope to bank a transfer and then use two the following week as much as possible. I managed that more last year than I've ever managed it. I'm also one that doesn't have a great record with point hits so will try and minimize them although again I didn't take too many last season. I'll be much more open to playing my BB in the 1st half of the season and like last season will probably end up using both wildcards very early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I disagree with that. You can do all the research and planning in world and have it destroyed in 2 weeks through very little fault of your own IMO. For example, this was my team for GW1 last year:

129fdafc97ac2f55912ed73f73f8320e.png

I'd argue with anyone that tells that that wasn't a good side to go with from the off, but after 2 or 3 weeks it was clear that it needed drastic surgery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Paully D wrote: »
    I disagree with that. You can do all the research and planning in world and have it destroyed in 2 weeks through very little fault of your own IMO. For example, this was my team for GW1 last year:

I'd argue with anyone that tells that that wasn't a good side to go with from the off, but after 2 or 3 weeks it was clear that it needed drastic surgery.

100%.

Never mind the transfer window still being open. If you manage to pick an FPL team of the top scoring players for the first 3 or 4 gameweeks with no form to judge on, no idea how the numerous new managers and players will settle in, newly promoted teams an unknown quantity at this level, then there is only one way to describe you.....a pure lucky ba$tard!! :D

Many people (myself included now that the second wildcard is not limited to Jan) set out to wildcard within 2 to 4 weeks. Ideally waiting till after the window closes is better in my book, but if your players are not scoring, and your value is plummeting as it does in the early weeks, then better to be decisive sooner rather than later.

Everyones GW1 team is 70% guesswork until you actually see a few weeks games.

Paully D wrote: »

No Mahrez or Vardy what were you at & sure we all knew Hazard was a write off and that Tekkers and Theo were going to struggle to get out single figure points for the season! An early wildcard certainly means a poor team but certainly doesn't mean it was a poorly picked one before gw1 things change very quickly. Anyone who thinks they can predict a season before it has started is just fooling themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

Resolution? After years of saying I'm not signing up next year.This is the year. This is the year I finally quit.

...yeah right...

Here's to another season of a vested interest in every fkn premier league fixture...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Don't hesitate to get rid of passengers and FORM OVER FIXTURES FFS will be my two guiding principles this year.

Win?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

As for resolutions if I had one it would probably be to "trust cheap players in form". I'm a sucker for a premium strikeforce in particular and tend to be wary of cheapie forwards (and mids too) who are on hot streaks. It's cost me more often than not. Ighalo last year, Kane the year before. Was a little late to the Vardy party too.

Oh, and another one would be "Listen to Busts". The contrary fooker is forever spouting some unfashionable theory or mad strategy which before long becomes the template or a widely accepted principle.

Except about points hits. Never listen to Busts about points hits. He talks a load of shíte there... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

Pick a decent captain!

Worst aspect of my game last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭shineon23

In Cedric we trust!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Don't captain Ozil on dgw this season, after gw34 last season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Never captain someone in the 12:45 game on Saturday*. It can be a long weekend, if/when the player blanks....I'm looking at you Aguero, with your measly 2 points Vs Norwich last season!

*This resolution may have to be reviewed with the Friday games starting this year.

Advertisement