Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Optima or Hyundai i40 1.7 Diesel

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

I have a 142 i40 that i brought in from the Uk last year. Great car up until 3 weeks ago, clutch is acting up, very hard to get into gear.
    This is a common problem in them unfortunately

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

Timmyr wrote: »
    I have a 142 i40 that i brought in from the Uk last year. Great car up until 3 weeks ago, clutch is acting up, very hard to get into gear.
    This is a common problem in them unfortunately

out of interest how many miles on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

out of interest how many miles on it ?

41,000 i think!

Timmyr wrote: »
    41,000 i think!

But early for clutch all right, some people can be very sore on them. Does it have the service package, it might be covered under that. Hyundai's five year service pack covers everything bar tyres, wipers, brake pads and bulbs as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You may struggle as it's a UK import. Hyundai are looking after Irish customers on pressure plates where neccessary.

Also, don't be confusing a service pack for a warranty.

A service pack is something you pay for, to cover engine servicing. What you are describing is warranty and a dealer would have to inspect the car before anything is decided.

• Advertisement

You may struggle as it's a UK import. Hyundai are looking after Irish customers on pressure plates where neccessary.

Also, don't be confusing a service pack for a warranty.

A service pack is something you pay for, to cover engine servicing. What you are describing is warranty and a dealer would have to inspect the car before anything is decided.

It doesn't matter where the car was bought if it's had mean dealer servicing. The service pack covers far more than the engine, also we don't know what caused the clutch to fail, it could be fair wear and tear because of proper loaded trailer / hills / city driving etc or wear and tear due to abuse, or it could be a fault. It requires an inspection. Fair wear and tear will be covered by the service pack, not the warranty. Abuse will be covered by neither.

It doesn't matter where the car was bought if it's had mean dealer servicing.

In this case, it does.

And that's really a warranty you're describing, not a service pack. They are entirely different things and may confuse the OP.

Pressure plates can give trouble in some i40's I believe and the classic symptom is that it's hard to select gear. Indeed it needs to be inspected, but I reckon it's a reasonable asumption at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Problem is that a dealer will need to remove the clutch plate to examine it for signs of either premature wear or excessive wear due to driver. At that stage if they find it's the latter then you're already snookered into paying main dealer prices to have it replaced. It's a tough one to call.

In this case, it does.

And that's really a warranty you're describing, not a service pack. They are entirely different things and may confuse the OP.

Pressure plates can give trouble in some i40's I believe and the classic symptom is that it's hard to select gear. Indeed it needs to be inspected, but I reckon it's a reasonable asumption at this point.

I know Toyota dealers throughout Ireland have lost a lot of business to Hyundai in recent years, but I think you're getting confused. Of course a service pack and warranty are not the same thing, that's common sense. Hyundai are bound to honour both the remaining warranty and the service pack (if one was on the car) regardless of where the car was bought as long as the car has been regulatory serviced at an accredited Hyundai main dealer, UK or Ireland matters not. The clutch could fall under the warranty or the service pack or neither, that entirely depends on what's in place and what the inspection reveals. Assumptions are just that.

A good dealer will tell from the weight of the pedal and bite point if the pressure plate is goosed. You'l still have to pay for a clutch disc regardless but you'l save on the labour.

But you do have to make the commitment that if your i40 happens to be the 1 in 100 that doesn't have the pressure plate issue that you will be paying main dealer labour for the whole job.

• Advertisement

I know Toyota dealers throughout Ireland have lost a lot of business to Hyundai in recent years, but I think you're getting confused. Of course a service pack and warranty are not the same thing, that's common sense. Hyundai are bound to honour both the remaining warranty and the service pack (if one was on the car) regardless of where the car was bought as long as the car has been regulatory serviced at an accredited Hyundai main dealer, UK or Ireland matters not. The clutch could fall under the warranty or the service pack or neither, that entirely depends on what's in place and what the inspection reveals. Assumptions are just that.

Me confused?

I'm not the one trying to pedal the spiel that a warranty and a service pack are the same thing. This is one of the most common consumer errors in the motor industry and the difference must be identified for the OP so as to not muddle them further. A service pack is to cover the cost of routine maintenance on the engine and nothing more. A warranty covers component failure, excluding wear and tear items, the exact opposite to a service pack.

UK or Ireland matters so. I never said they wouldn't cover it, but it will not be as clean cut as if you were dealing with an original Irish car, honestly.

Anyway...

Me confused?

I'm not the one trying to pedal the spiel that a warranty and a service pack are the same thing.

I said no such thing. Rather than continually pretending what I wrote, post exactly where I said that it was the same thing . . .
    A service pack is to cover the cost of routine maintenance on the engine and nothing more.

This isn't correct, hyundai's service pack covers more than just maintenance of the engine and "nothing more" it also covers maintenance of other systems

Advertisement