Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Optima or Hyundai i40 1.7 Diesel

Options
  • 11-07-2016 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking at buying one of these - a 2010 to 2012 Kia Optima 1.7 Crdi, or Hyundai i40 1.7 Diesel?

Does anyone know anything about these cars? Are they reliable? Which would be the better of the two? Would they be as reliable as the Avensis / Mondeo etc.

Please vote on my Poll

Hyundai i40 1.7d or Kia Optima 1.7d for most reliable 9 votes

Hyundai i40 1.7d
    11% 1 vote
    Kia Optima 1.7d
    88% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

They're the same car in different clothing, I doubt there'll be much to differentiate between them other than personal preference or perhaps the finance deal available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭tcow

alias no.9 wrote: »
    They're the same car in different clothing, I doubt there'll be much to differentiate between them other than personal preference or perhaps the finance deal available

thanks for that. much appreciated. is there some connection between both manufacturers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

tcow wrote: »
    thanks for that. much appreciated. is there some connection between both manufacturers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Motors#Affiliations_and_subsidiaries
    As of December 31, 2014, the Hyundai Motor Company owns a 33.88% stake in Kia Motors.

Likewise, As of December 31, 2014 Kia Motors is an owner in 19 different Hyundai companies. Their ownership percentages range from 5.23-40%.

grogi wrote: »
    Kia Motors is partly (33.88%) owned by Hyundai Motor Company.

thanks for that. So .... Kia optima 1.7d or Hundai i40 1.7d for best reliability?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

thanks for that. So .... Kia optima 1.7d or Hundai i40 1.7d for best reliability?? :rolleyes:

The one that feels better.

• Advertisement

Do all the newer Hyundais have the electronic handbrake?

would the hyundai i40 be on par with the likes of Avensis / Mondeo for reliability?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just buy a Honda Accord for reliability.

bazz26 wrote: »

id imagine it would be very heavy on diesel tho, it being a 2.2!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The engine and drive train are the same, most of the electronics and even swithchgear will be the same. It's very unlikely that one will significantly outperform the other. Buy the one you like best or the one you can get the best deal on if this is the limit of your options.

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The engine and drive train are the same, most of the electronics and even swithchgear will be the same. It's very unlikely that one will significantly outperform the other. Buy the one you like best or the one you can get the best deal on if this is the limit of your options.

thanks for that. The Accord would be up tehre also, but i think the MPG would be lower in the accord

Most i40s sold here are 115bhp whereas the Opitma is 136bhp. Optimas tend to be better equipped too and you won't be mistake for a Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If it's down to just the i40 or the Optima, I'd go for the i40.

Having driven both of them, I didn't utterly hate the i40.

I've driven a lot of different cars in that segment, and was looking forward to the Optima (would have been a 2013 model when it was new) as it's a cracking looking car, but it was probably the worst car I'd driven (and probably still right up there) since they finished building the Primera.

Engine was good, but visibility was poor, my head was brushing the roof cloth when I leaned slightly forward (I'm 5ft 10") and the seats were about as uncomfortable as anything I've ever been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭noelf

I remember a Hyundai i40 owner posting here that they weren't impressed with the fuel economy of their car .. Do a search on "Hyundai i40 fuel efficiency" on boards ..

The Accord wasn't the most frugal on fuel in it's class but a smaller engine in cars of this size don't automatically mean they are more fuel efficient.

The Accord wasn't the most frugal on fuel in it's class but a smaller engine in cars of this size don't automatically mean they are more fuel efficient.

just went for a test drive on a 2012 i40. revs at 2000rpm and still only doing 100kph, cant be good!!! wasnt too impressed anyway. Car felt a lot lighter than it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭murdig

I'd go with the optima,I got one as a company car last year and have done 115,000kms with it since new and not a bother with it.
    Very comfortable seating although you do seem a bit far back from the dash even with seat up close.
    Average fuel useage is around the 5.5l pe 100km.
    Will be interested in how it is after 3 years but no complaints so far

• Registered Users Posts: 73,394 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is yours the new face lifted one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭blackbox

Most i40s sold here are 115bhp whereas the Opitma is 136bhp. Optimas tend to be better equipped too and you won't be mistake for a Garda.

The Hyundai estate has the higher power engine too. I have a 2013 Optima. I don't consider it too slow (for a diesel), but I wouldn't want it slower. 115 sounds low for a biggish saloon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

More or less same cars, different styling, Hyundai own a third of Kia and Kia own about Kia own about 19 different Hyundai subsidiary companies.

They Hyundai will hold it's value slightly more than the kia.

• Advertisement

or being expensively boring. Their hay day was the 90's.

The few hundred i40s the Gardai got will affect the resale value on the i40. The fact that the Kia has been a more comprehensive refresh and the longer warranty would probably help it too.

The Guards driving Toyota's never affect them.

Nope, but the i40 was never a big seller, so it's identity in Ireland now is a squad car.

Maybe in your head but we don't all have to climb in there ;)

or being expensively boring. Their hay day was the 90's.

If you mean by boring not breaking down or having to wonder what the frack is wrong with it now, then yes your right.

If you mean by boring not breaking down or having to wonder what the frack is wrong with it now, then yes your right.

untill you find out they need the same parts as every other car, but are a rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Op there have been a few posts here regarding the reliability of the i40. Some owners have been less than impressed. Now if it's just bad luck or a sign of poor quality I can't say. Personally I don't understand what the fuss is about the i40. The styling, comfort, interior quality and price never seems to match the hype to me.

untill you find out they need the same parts as every other car, but are a rip off

I'm sure I could poke holes in everyone's else's suggestions at this rate too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Op there have been a few posts here regarding the reliability of the i40. Some owners have been less than impressed. Now if it's just bad luck or a sign of poor quality I can't say. Personally I don't understand what the fuss is about the i40. The styling, comfort, interior quality and price never seems to match the hype to me.

They actually aren't that flakey. Clutches do give trouble, so if it's notchy getting gear, that'l need doing. Luckily, Hyundai have been covering these on warranty.

Other that that they are fairly solid. I think they look well, interior feels solid enough. The "infotainment" or lack of, is one of it's biggest stumbling blocks vs it's competitors i'd say.

Advertisement