Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic Motoring Myths

Options
  • 10-07-2016 10:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Classic examples I can think of include :

- All French and Italian cars are unreliable
    - All "genuine" German cars such as VW's / Audis and BMW's are reliable
    - Toyota's are still as reliable as ever
    - Korean cars are still rubbish
    - Cheap Chinese tyres are as good as ordinary priced tyres
    - All UK imports are clocked and/or damaged repaired
    - The average Irish car is better kept and maintained and has better recorded service history than the average UK car
    - It's perfectly acceptable for expensive modern Diesel cars to pack up if they are largely used on short runs only

Any more to add ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can just get another new one in 3 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

- The average Irish car is better kept and maintained and has better recorded service history than the average UK car
    I think you have that the wrong way round. I don't think anyone here is silly enough to claim irish cars are better looked after.
    - It's perfectly acceptable for expensive modern Diesel cars to pack up if they are largely used on short runs only

Well diesel was never designed for that. Is it alright for the whole thing to pack in - no, do you have to face facts when the DPF clogs or the turbos eat themselves - yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

The fuel tank icon in the fuel dial on the dash indicates the side of the fuel flap.

Headlight bulbs only take 5 seconds to change.

Just because the Gardai drive a certain model doesn't mean its a great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

The average Irish car is better kept and maintained and has better recorded service history than the average UK car

I have only heard irish people say the exact opposite , don't know were that one come from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I wouldn't say better kept and maintained but I would have heard "sure all Uk mileage is all motorway"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think you have that the wrong way round. I don't think anyone here is silly enough to claim irish cars are better looked after.
    SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    The average Irish car is better kept and maintained and has better recorded service history than the average UK car

I have only heard irish people say the exact opposite , don't know were that one come from ?

OP is discussing motoring myths - the implication is that the exact opposite of those statements apply.

pippip wrote: »
    I wouldn't say better kept and maintained but I would have heard "sure all Uk mileage is all motorway"

its even the way others treat cars.

my range rover - 7 years in the UK , no repairs (verified by paint micrometer) , not a scratch or dent on it at all.

in Ireland 6 months, always parked away from other cars down the back of carparks and looked after - every door has a ding in it now from cúnts just swinging doors open.

coylemj wrote: »
    OP is discussing motoring myths - the implication is that the exact opposite of those statements apply.

yeah, but for a myth to exist , some people have to believe it. I have never heard of anyone claim irish cars are better cared for.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Driving around with your AC on requires financing from the EU Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Driving with your headlights on wastes unacceptable amounts of fuel/battery power.
    Fresh NCT means the car is grand until next year.
    People who buy convertibles in Ireland are nuts.
    Cars with over 100,000 miles will explode.
    Lady owner cars are in better condition.

• Advertisement

a dealer being registered with SIMI means they won't shaft you / sell you a dodgy car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

The fuel tank icon in the fuel dial on the dash indicates the side of the fuel flap.

Doesn't it?
    Driving with your headlights on wastes unacceptable amounts of fuel/battery power.
    I've never heard anyone claim that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Revving the engine past 3000 RPM will make it explode.

I thought "myths" had to be believed by a large portion of people as "facts", only for them to be debunked and then proven as "myths" . A lot of the shyte in this thread can only be believed by a small section of halfwits

(No offence to anyone)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

That you need to let a cold engine idle for a while before driving off.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Not letting your petrol go down to the red incase things like dirt, twigs muck and sh*t gets into your engine, basically letting the "bad" petrol into your engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Slow lane, fast lane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Diesels are cheaper to run than petrols.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

BMWs have bulbs in their indicators..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A person wouldn't be able to service their own car themselves as cars are computerised now so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Jesus. wrote: »
    I've never heard anyone claim that.

You didn't need to hear it.
    Just look around all those people who don't turn on their light at dusk, dawn, rain, fog, snow, etc...
    Sometimes when they feel that it's getting really dark or visibility is really extremely poor due to rain, fog, snow, those people finally decide to spare some of their fortune, and finally turn the sidelights on.

Dipped headlights are preciously saved only for the darkest of darknesses.

All those (which is majority) don't need to say it. They just do it, beaucse they really must think that using your lights wastes extreme abouts of energy/fuel/battery power.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It did on my 2007 VW Golf, there was an arrow pointing to the right indicating which side the flap was on. Example (not necessarily a VW) below ......

https://blog.allstate.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Fuel-Gauge-Arrow-iStock.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Headlight bulbs only take 5 seconds to change.

Just because the Gardai drive a certain model doesn't mean its a great car.

It's the arrow next to the fuel pump icon, that points to the fuel filler cap.
    Not all cars have this arrow, ie Bmw.

But I think every nap car has it

CiniO wrote: »
    You didn't need to hear it.
    Just look around all those people who don't turn on their light at dusk, dawn, rain, fog, snow, etc...Sometimes when they feel that it's getting really dark or visibility is really extremely poor due to rain, fog, snow, those people finally decide to spare some of their fortune, and finally turn the sidelights on.Dipped headlights are preciously saved only for the darkest of darknesses.All those (which is majority) don't need to say it. They just do it, beaucse they really must think that using your lights wastes extreme abouts of energy/fuel/battery power.

My point is I don't think people aren't needlessly turning on their headlights to save money or anything else. They're not doing it because its daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

If it has a tow bar, then the engine and clutch are equally knackered in it.
    If it's got a DL reg it's had the bollocks drove out of it, likely by boy racers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

If it has a tow bar, then the engine and clutch are equally knackered in it.
    If it's got a DL reg it's had the bollocks drove out of it, likely by boy racers.

are they myths?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

On the fuel icon thing... I do rent cars quite a bit and only once i went wrong with the side of the car where the fuel flap was, based on the icon.
    Some brands do indeed have an extra arrow but in general you can go with the side of the icon the hose is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,158 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Donegal is the only county in Ireland with boy racers and idiot drivers.

Advertisement