Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Children in the front seat of a car!

Options
  • 09-07-2016 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

I might need to put my daughter in the front seat of my car, she is 9.

Now I have looked online and find the information either confusion or out of date.

Does anyne know if it's legal to put a 9yr old in the front seat with the appropriate booster seat ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Dundalkian

Completely illegal. Horrible to even think of. If you get caught you risk losing your car, license, or even worse, YOUR CHILD !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,359 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dundalkian wrote: »
    Completely illegal. Horrible to even think of. If you get caught you risk losing your car, license, or even worse, YOUR CHILD !!!

Dramtise much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I'm asking if it is legal, lol.

• Administrators Posts: 13,815 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Yes. It is legal. Once they are in an appropriate carseat/booster.

From the RSA.ie
    If you are fitting a forward-facing child seat in the front of a car, make sure the car seat is as far
    back as it will go, so the child is as far as possible from the dashboard. This reduces the possibility
    of head or chest injuries in a crash.

At what stage did you decide you know the law?
    Because your completely wrong , and the front may actually be safer.

http://www.theaa.ie/aa/motoring-advice/driving-advice/child-safety/seat-belt-and-child-restraint-law.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Dundalkian

I was joking. I think theres a height limit but the chances of being stopped by the gardaí cause of it are extremely slim and i doubt they would do anything more than tell you not to do it again.

I was joking. I think theres a height limit but the chances of being stopped by the gardaí cause of it are extremely slim and i doubt they would do anything more than tell you not to do it again.

No you weren't .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

sunny2004 wrote: »
    I might need to put my daughter in the front seat of my car, she is 9.

Now I have looked online and find the information either confusion or out of date.

Does anyne know if it's legal to put a 9yr old in the front seat with the appropriate booster seat ?

Thanks.

You can put your child in front seat the same as in the rear seat...

Only thing to remember, is that if your child is in rear facing seat, then passenger airbag must be disabled.
    If you car has no option of disabling it, you can't legally carry a child in rear facing seat on front seat.
    But it doesn't obviously apply to your 9 year old daughter.

Can you enlighten us about this height limit you think there is?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,570 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I did see someone today allowing their kid to put their feet up on the dashboard directly over the passenger airbag inflator while beginning a drive on the motorway, the mind boggles as to how super thick a person could be.

• Advertisement

I did see someone today allowing their kid to put their feet up on the dashboard directly over the passenger airbag inflator while beginning a drive on the motorway, the mind boggles as to how super thick a person could be.

It's not just kids... I see passengers having their feet on dashboard (right on the airbag) fairly often.... People are just silly.
    I'd say most don't even understand the consequences, including drivers allowing kids to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Oh my God I always put my feet up. It has never even occured to me about the airbag. And I'm always telling others off for being unsafe in cars. Like seat belts under the arm. Christ!!! No more of that for me.

As for the child in the front I have a 7 yr old and there has been times I've had no choice but to use the front seat for him. He does be in his booster seat (appropriate for his age as according to RSA) and I adjust the seat for him. Seatbelt height, straighten the back, chair pushed the whole way back and headrest the whole way down. It's not illegal providing that there is no safer situation.

So long as they can sit at a height that the seat belt fits correctly and you push the seat back, then yes, it's grand , quite legal.

trixychic wrote: »
    It's not illegal providing that there is no safer situation.

Thanks for the reply, but I do not understand this statement regarding the law ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Thanks for the reply, but I do not understand this statement regarding the law ?

If there is appropriate, available and safe seating in the back of the vehicle this is where the child should be seated first and foremost.

If not the front passenger in a booster is the next alternative.

She's talking rubbish , the law is clear cut it either is legal or it's not , there's no second best.
    In the link I provided it states the law. Basically the kid needs a relevant rated car seat. If it's rear facing turn off the air bag

It's not illegal.

It's not illegal to put them in the front, even if the back seat is empty.

According to the RSA it's safer for a child to be in the back of possible, but if not possible it is perfectly legal (and safe if in a properly adjusted booster etc) to put them in the front

If there is appropriate, available and safe seating in the back of the vehicle this is where the child should be seated first and foremost.

Not true , the law doesn't state this , a child in the back can be more distracting than a child in the front. I know our young fellow goes mad and distracts the wife if he is in the back and can't see her, so it's safer for him to be in the front as he is not distracting her and happy to sit there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

ted1 wrote: »
    Not true , the law doesn't state this , a child in the back can be more distracting than a child in the front. I know our young fellow goes mad and distracts the wife if he is in the back and can't see her, so it's safer for him to be in the front as he is not distracting her and happy to sit there

Note the words appropriate and safe. This doesn't apply in your case obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Oh my God I always put my feet up. It has never even occured to me about the airbag. And I'm always telling others off for being unsafe in cars. Like seat belts under the arm. Christ!!! No more of that for me.

As for the child in the front I have a 7 yr old and there has been times I've had no choice but to use the front seat for him. He does be in his booster seat (appropriate for his age as according to RSA) and I adjust the seat for him. Seatbelt height, straighten the back, chair pushed the whole way back and headrest the whole way down. It's not illegal providing that there is no safer situation.
    I'd cut your legs off if you put them on the dash of my car. It's got nothing to do with your safety in a crash either.

I've a 2 seater. Can't imagine telling either of my kids they've to get in the boot.........

• Advertisement

It is a traffic offense to have a child in the back seat not appropriately restrained, same as it is an offense to have them in the front not appropriately restrained. (On the spot fine, and 2 penalty points, I think)

It is not a traffic offense to have a child appropriately restrained in either the front or the back.

It is safe to carry them in the front once they are appropriately restrained.
    It is safer for them to be in the back appropriately restrained.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Reminds me of this...

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/young-woman-broke-every-bone-in-face-after-putting-feet-on-dashboard-before-crash-31063467.html

''A woman who "broke every bone in my face" in a car crash has warned others of the dangers of leaving their feet on the dashboard.....

When the airbag released with the impact of the crash, Grainne's legs were thrust back into her face at a velocity of 320kmph.

"It was there that I had my big operation that lasted over 10 hours, It involved three teams of surgeons putting my face back together with metal sheets and bolts," she said''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

This exactly. If I for any reason end up having to bring 3 kids home from school instead of my usual 2 (has happened before in emergency situation) I will put my eldest in the front. (He's tall for his age so seems the right choice). I only have 2 proper seatbelts in the back. The middle one only goes across the waist. The front seatbelt is more secure so I use it.

There is no way id use it unless I had to. Back is always first choice.

This exactly. If I for any reason end up having to bring 3 kids home from school instead of my usual 2 (has happened before in emergency situation) I will put my eldest in the front. (He's tall for his age so seems the right choice). I only have 2 proper seatbelts in the back. The middle one only goes across the waist. The front seatbelt is more secure so I use it.

There is no way id use it unless I had to. Back is always first choice.

Thanks but I'm interested in the legal situation.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Jaysis, I remember 7 of us packed into a car getting a lift to a match. Two in the front passenger seat, 4 in the back, and the smallest lad up behind the back headrests...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd cut your legs off if you put them on the dash of my car. It's got nothing to do with your safety in a crash either.
    Damn straight. And the only airbag in my car sits in the drivers seat. I've encountered this before mind you. Eh it's called a footwell for a reason luv. Use it or walk. I can certainly see some scenarios where feet may end up on the dash, or the headlining, but that's either in the immediate aftermath of a crash, or things got sexy. Otherwise eh no.
    I've a 2 seater. Can't imagine telling either of my kids they've to get in the boot.........
    Or god forbid you've more than two or three kids on the go.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Jaysis, I remember 7 of us packed into a car getting a lift to a match. Two in the front passenger seat, 4 in the back, and the smallest lad up behind the back headrests...

back in the day we used to drive all the way to the UK with 5 in the back and no rear seat belts fitted. how things change!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

CiniO wrote: »
    Can you enlighten us about this height limit you think there is?
    It's 150 cm, but this only refers to when the child don't need a booster seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks but I'm interested in the legal situation.
    I googled it for you:
    There is no law against children sitting in the front seat, as long as they are using the right child restraint for their height and weight.
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/No-Child-Car-Seat---No-Excuse/The-Law/

Welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

The amount of ford transits going round with the mother in front holding the baby in her arms, unbelievable, some are untouchable.

Advertisement