Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great British Bake Off 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Can't warm to Jane at all, can't quite put my finger on it but for me she's a bit like Ian last year. Selasi is the man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I forgot about Vals' speech at the end of the last episode:
    When you bake, you always bake for a reason. And you’re giving it to people, so you make it the best you can. And you make it with love.

And whenever make anything, I stir love into it, I knead love into it, so when I present it, it’s special.

Buzzfeed link

Aw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

I forgot about Vals' speech at the end of the last episode:

Buzzfeed link

Aw!

It's so sweet. Made me want to rewatch Nadiya's amazing winning speech.

Did anyone else LOL at Paul calling Mary 'Bezza' the other night? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Selasi is so helpful - anyone else noticed that when he's finished first, he always helps someone who's struggling, whereas others sit back and watch or sit looking at their creation? He seems like a good guy, in a very unassuming way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

:eek: I really hope this is not true. She is awful. I watched the first couple of episodes of creme de la creme and stopped watching because of her. She was beyond nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Rachel Khoo would be a great judge I think, but she's also with BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I love her. She's not on the telly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Was there no extra slice on last night? Sat down to watch it and nothing recorded 😞

• Advertisement

fox_1973 wrote: »
    Was there no extra slice on last night? Sat down to watch it and nothing recorded 😞

It was definitely on, I had it set to record too and it worked. I really enjoyed it: Val was great, Michel Roux Jr was there, and the lovely lady who won it in 2014, Nancy.

Ah here now.....now they are saying that Geri Horner is going to host it!!!! What next. Sorry cant post links its on the DM website :confused:

dee_mc wrote: »
    It was definitely on, I had it set to record too and it worked. I really enjoyed it: Val was great, Michel Roux Jr was there, and the lovely lady who won it in 2014, Nancy.

Ah damn, must of been my horizon box so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Ah damn, must of been my horizon box so

No I have Sky and it didn't record. :( It didn't tape Great British Menu either. It must have been something about cookery programme last night. :p

No I have Sky and it didn't record. :( It didn't tape Great British Menu either. It must have been something about cookery programme last night. :p

I've just checked the TV guide for yesterday, there was an Ulster match on, GBM was on at 9.30, no extra slice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

I've just checked the TV guide for yesterday, there was an Ulster match on, GBM was on at 9.30, no extra slice

Twas on bbc2 HD... So depends which channel you record it from HD or NI...

ahlookit wrote: »
    Twas on bbc2 HD... So depends which channel you record it from HD or NI...

Ah I see, switching my recordings to HD so, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Missed it Wednesday so just watched the repeat. Val was the worst over the past few weeks so deserved to go.

Tom will be next, followed by Rav.

As it stands Jane and Candice are well ahead of the others, I think Benjamina will be with them in the final, Andrew will go in the semi. Selasi is failing a bit. I agree that the standard is way lower than the last two years.

As its such a high ratings show you can expect the tabloids to continually say that X,Y and Z are favorites to be the next presenter as it helps them sell papers, we won't know for sure until it's definitely announced by Channel 4. Having said that Gok Wan and Alan Carr would be awful.

We can only wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

I do think the standard is poorer this year than previous years. For a bunch of people who entered a show called the Great British Bake Off with Mary Berry as a judge, a surprising number of them don't seem to know a whole lot about baking standard British classics - at least learn a recipe or two from one of Mary's books! That said, I still do really enjoy the charm of it all and it's just a homely, comforting kind of show. I think the vibe will be very different on C4.

As for the contestants, I think it will be between Jane and Candice, though Bejamina and Andrew are more than capable of making something great on the day. Selasi seems to have fallen back a little bit since the first couple of weeks, but he might find his groove again. Tom's flavours sound absolutely horrendous most of the time and Rav seems to struggle a lot with the basics, so I expect one of those two to be gone next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

Does anyone know what time this usually goes up on the BBC player? I won't be home for the start of it so I think I'll try watch it back later than miss some of it

• Advertisement

Candice looks so different with the nude lipstick!
    I'd love a lemon and lime meringue pie now... but I've got a caramel slice from the bakery so that should keep me going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

stupid me thinking botanicals week was going to be flower based, turns out their using fruit which okay okay i get are technically flowers etc.
    candice has no lipstick on!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

She's not my fave (Benjamina FTW!!) but I like sound of Candice's four seasons showstopper. I'm stealing that idea!!:D

Benjamina fell at the last hurdle. She was on track for star baker.

Well done to Tom for recovering but I just can't warm to him.

Elliott S wrote: »
    Benjamina fell at the last hurdle. She was on track for star baker.

Well done to Tom for recovering but I just can't warm to him.

My mam fancies Tom :D
    Andrew dodged a bullet, hope he improves next week.
    I don't have a favourite this year. I don't think anyone stands out as being brilliant at decoration this year either, which is unusual.

Couldnt agree more about Tom. There is just something about him.

As for Candice.......for the love of god would she please stop pouting ...aaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yogibear77 wrote: »
    .for the love of god would she please stop pouting

I bet she smokes, or is an ex smoker.

I don't think anyone stands out as being brilliant at decoration this year either, which is unusual.

I thought Selasi's was pretty impressive! Tom's too, begrudgingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Selasis are so impressive because he's so calm I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I find Jane really insincere.

Botanical Week was better than I thought it would be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Selasi's showstopper looked amazing and I liked his choice of flavours. Candice's was a lovely, creative idea too and adding her grandmother's recipe was a really nice touch.

Jane had a bit of a disaster, but she'll get it back on track.

Andrew got away with it, but I'm glad he stayed. I think he's a decent baker and it was Rav's time to go anyway. He had been struggling for the past couple of weeks and I think he went as far as he could.

Tom is hard to warm to. His flowery tea cake, though not to my taste, sounded like it was executed well, but I still think some of his flavours are really wrong and his signature was cat.

Benjamina is a favourite of mine. I think she has it in her to pull it out of the bag, she just needs to find that little bit extra and be as consistent as she can over all three rounds.

At this point, I'd still tip Candice to be the overall winner, but there's a couple there that could take it on any given day.

Elliott S wrote: »
    I thought Selasi's was pretty impressive! Tom's too, begrudgingly.

I agree, I just don't think anyone this year has an impressive characteristic 'style' if that makes sense... a signature!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Tom and Jane are a little too bland to warm to.

At this stage, I'd be happy for any of the others to win.

Is it just me or did Mary Berry seem a little harsher than usual in this episode?

Is it just me or did Mary Berry seem a little harsher than usual in this episode?

A bit towards Andrew in the showstopper maybe. But then he was trying to insist that there was a subtle flavour of elderflower and I think it's fair enough to point out that you can't taste any at all.

I loved the icing on Rav's and Andrew's cakes though! I'm not into frou-frou icing, but I guess that's what they were looking for. I even liked Jane's icing! I thought Candice's cake looked more of a mess than Jane's and Benjamina's.

Just caught up with programme now. The main thing I take form last nights show was the interaction between Benjemina and Selasi.
    Otherwise, a very bland offering.

• Advertisement

I don't understand why Candice was mentioned as a potential star baker and not Benjamina. Candice's first two bakes were mediocre and Paul and Mary seemed deathly bored when trying and commenting on her Showstopper. It was also quite messy-looking and the carrot cake was rubbery. I would have actually put in her in the bottom half of contestants.

Meanwhile, Benjamina was on course for Star Baker until the final round. Her and Candice seemed on a par, at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Selasi played a blinder last night in the showstopper! There was icing powder everywhere at one stage. :D

Yeah, agree with the above; I found both Candace and Janes' bakes to be mediocre. Also think that it was Ravs' time to go (I remember him commenting at one stage that everyones' cakes looked unreal and he felt out of his depth and couldn't really compete with them). Really liking Benjamina, she was doing pretty well, except for the showstopper. Andrew seemed to be having a really bad weekend from the word go - not his usual standard at all. Think Tom was just lucky tbh - with the flavours in his showstopper and getting the technical.... because the pumpkin blood orange meringue pie did not go down well at all with Bezza & Paul.

Also.....

38E44F3C00000578-0-image-a-292_1475103632714.jpg

:pac: :pac:

Great photo. :pac:
    Think Tom was just lucky tbh - with the flavours in his showstopper and getting the technical.... because the pumpkin blood orange meringue pie did not go down well at all with Bezza & Paul.

I think Tom was quite arrogant in his comments after the first round - "I disagree, I think it was a citrus pie" of that pumpkin... thing he baked. So I was sickened when he ended up winning Star Baker. :o Benjamina, it was yours for the taking after round two. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just caught up with programme now. The main thing I take form last nights show was the interaction between Benjemina and Selasi.

They were definitely playing that up although it may just be clever editing to make it look like a budding romance. Pretty sure Selasi mentioned he had a girlfriend in one of the early episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Just catching up now. Aw Benjamina was SO on course for star baker until the last round. I can't warm to Tom at all. Have to say Selasi's showstopper was excellent. Andrew was on shaky ground there but I think the right person went. They've been on shaky ground for a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Ah Andrew has been consistently way up there until this week. Would have been very wrong to keep Rav who's struggling consistently at the expense of someone who was just having a bad weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Turtle_ wrote: »
    Ah Andrew has been consistently way up there until this week. Would have been very wrong to keep Rav who's struggling consistently at the expense of someone who was just having a bad weekend.

But that's the basis on which Kate was kicked off??? They even said it at the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Only got around to watching it this evening. It was definitely Rav's time to go.

I'm now coming around to see what people have meant about a lower quality than previous years. Things just falling apart and being wayyy underbaked.

We caught up this evening, first with the Dutch version and then Bakeoff. Not a good idea. Want. Cake. Now. :D

pajor wrote: »
    Only got around to watching it this evening. It was definitely Rav's time to go.

I'm now coming around to see what people have meant about a lower quality than previous years. Things just falling apart and being wayyy underbaked.

We caught up this evening, first with the Dutch version and then Bakeoff. Not a good idea. Want. Cake. Now. :D

We binge watched the last 4 episodes of the 2012 series on Sunday with no cake in the house... bad planning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

We binge watched the last 4 episodes of the 2012 series on Sunday with no cake in the house... bad planning!

I'm moving house tomorrow :eek: Need to get the kitchen up and running before 8pm!

Turtle_ wrote: »
    I'm moving house tomorrow :eek: Need to get the kitchen up and running before 8pm!

Most important box to be moved in to the house contains kettle, mugs, tea, coffee, remote control and lots of cake. And a takeaway menu. And probably wine. Everything else can wait :D
    Good luck with the move!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

We moved house 10 days ago. Internet and TV only got switched today. That's why I was only catching up today. Pffft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Most important box to be moved in to the house contains kettle, mugs, tea, coffee, remote control and lots of cake. And a takeaway menu. And probably wine. Everything else can wait :D
    Good luck with the move!

You've done this before, haven't you!?

Poochie05 wrote: »
    You've done this before, haven't you!?

Too many times to count! Hope it went well for ye anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

All of these look yummy! :) the hazelnut one looked lovely in theory!

• Advertisement
Advertisement