Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drones - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It was used but as new. I got it on eBay. One of the biggest expenses was postage from Darwin NT which cost AU$93.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

All.
    I won a Parrot Bebop 2 in limited edition red recently. Haven't removed it from the box yet.
    Is there much difference between it and a phantom 3 pro?
    I'm considering selling the bebop and add the difference for the phantom. But only if it's much better. I don't want to use the bebop and then decide to sell it. Better to sell it now when it's unused.

Thanks for any help/advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Garzard

Bit of an insignificant drone but I bought the Revell Nano Quad for €20 in Argos during the Christmas sales period (reduced from €50+). Never had any major crashes apart from the types that happen to most small RC gadgets. Within a week it wouldn't take off - one side appeared to not be receiving enough power. Sent Revell a video of the issue just asking for technical support and a brand new replacement came from them the following week ''with compliments''. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

A warning to anyone flying a Phantom 3 Standard. There seems to be a gliche in the latest firmware update. There are reports of the drone setting a new Home Point itself and then initiating a Return to Home. The new point is often over km away. Quite a few people have lost their aircraft.

It seems this only occurs when the drone is a mode which limits the distance (Distance Limit or Beginner Mode) and once it sets the new point it ignores commands from the controller as it's outside of the range. To be safe turn those modes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

CabanSail wrote: »
    A warning to anyone flying a Phantom 3 Standard. There seems to be a gliche in the latest firmware update.

Thanks - any links to the reports? Just to see what version affected and what workarounds needed.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

ozmo wrote: »
    Thanks - any links to the reports? Just to see what version affected and what workarounds needed.

@ozmo are you a pro owner? Would you recommend it over the bebop 2?
    Should I sell or stick?

dedaw wrote: »
    @ozmo are you a pro owner? Would you recommend it over the bebop 2?
    Should I sell or stick?

Not familiar with the Beebop in person - but it doesnt get good reviews

http://gizmodo.com/parrot-bebop-drone-and-skycontroller-review-looks-aren-1700015942

Any of the DJI's would be better - even the Phantom 3 Standard would be leaps ahead in terms of image quality and range. But the price difference might be a lot especially for the Pro Dji cameras.
    I would just sell it unopened before it gets too out of date (its a 2015 drone no?) and look out for a deal on a Phantom 4 if possible.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

After watching Casey Neistat's Mavic Pro review, I think I'm ready to pull the pin, and pre-order one.

Report's of a 4 mile range (though I'd not be risking that) but it seems to be a much more compact device than the phantom 3 (which I was originally intending to buy)

Prob should wait a while for a price decrease tbh, but I reckon drones are like phones, you'll never ever ever own the latest model for more than a few weeks.

..Casey Neistat's Mavic Pro review...pre-order one.
    .. 4 mile range (though I'd not be risking that)
    ..compact device than the phantom 3
    ..Prob should wait a while for a price decrease
    • -Hes a big fan alright - and its Is a great drone - he has a more recent video where he actually focuses it properly this time and compares it with the new P4Pro. It still wins.
    • -The backlog should be clear now if ordered direct from DJI - some retailers like Amazon I think may still have a backlog of orders.
    • -Its 4 miles in USA - but in EU it operates at a lower power - so about 4Km - still way over what IAA actually allow you to fly (must be within sight- plus other restrictions you need read up on)
    • - Its really tiny alright.
    • - Wont be any price decrease for a while I think - they may introduce a Mavic Standard or Phantom 5 Standard within next few months though.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

Runcam HD 2 - Banggood 20% off Coupon "24fpv" comesc to €60
    Im very tempted, as it can record video and FPV at the same time.

is it worth it, only worried about BG's warranty for this. They reckon 3 months only

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

Got my Mavic a few days ago and yesterday got a proper flight out of it - love it !

Took down my earlier Video to make some changes.

Cannot edit the original post so this is the edited version.

helps a lot when there's good weather to fly - dying for the last couple days to go out and try the follow modes while i bike and it's just been pretty awful because galway

helps a lot when there's good weather to fly - dying for the last couple days to go out and try the follow modes while i bike and it's just been pretty awful because galway

Its been so windy rainy or just bad light here past couple weeks.. Hoping for some sunny day soon....

Careful with that follow me - makes sure you have plenty of height above everything- remember youve only got front facing obsticle avoidance and youtube is full of follow me hitting trees sideways or backwards.

“Roll it back”

Its been so windy rainy or just bad light here past couple weeks.. Hoping for some sunny day soon....

Careful with that follow me - makes sure you have plenty of height above everything- remember youve only got front facing obsticle avoidance and youtube is full of follow me hitting trees sideways or backwards.

I saw them too; so funny- I don't even call them amateurs, it's just natural selection taking its course- others even do it for the clicks because moneys and let's buy more drones

I plan to do it on an open space or with an extra pilot;

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

I have ordered the Mavic Pro, without doing a careful research on how will I use it here. Mostly I hoped to use it abroad, but also at home too. Now, after reading a lot of about regulations and restrictions, and general public negative feeling about drones, I realised there is almost no place in Ireland where you can safely fly it, without breaking IAA rules or getting it shot by some drone-hunting farmer.

So I almost hit the "cancel your order" button, and just stopped to ask fellow boardies for an advise. I still very much wish to own one and even thought of taking a "training course" but a lot of this putting me off. I have a full day tomorrow to cancel it, so please tell me why I shouldn't or should?

Thanks.

Denisoftus wrote: »
    I have ordered the Mavic Pro, without doing a careful research on how will I use it here. Mostly I hoped to use it abroad, but also at home too. Now, after reading a lot of about regulations and restrictions, and general public negative feeling about drones, I realised there is almost no place in Ireland where you can safely fly it, without breaking IAA rules or getting it shot by some drone-hunting farmer.

So I almost hit the "cancel your order" button, and just stopped to ask fellow boardies for an advise. I still very much wish to own one and even thought of taking a "training course" but a lot of this putting me off. I have a full day tomorrow to cancel it, so please tell me why I shouldn't?

Thanks.

If you were hoping to fly it in the middle of the city or above dense crowded areas it's an obvious no-no; not because of yourself but because of the many people before you that managed to frek it up; if you had in mind shop-street shots or specific buildings and/or sites to convert into money it's, also, a no-no.

That said, don't know exactly what's putting you off; it's meant to be flown in open spaces, with minimal chances of hurting anyone or damage to sites.

I've been flying mine at the beaches/rivers/lakes/hiking spots, never outside the regulations, except when i lose a bit of line of sight due to it's small size.

I've had a few RCs before but this one is, by a mile, my favourite toy ever !

Denisoftus wrote: »
    I have a full day tomorrow to cancel it, so please tell me why I shouldn't or should?
    Thanks.

...and its only going to get more restrictive - so if you are interested in flying drones - now is really the time to do it before EU bring in really strict rules.

There is no training course that will increase where you can fly - only fully fledged commercial drone operator which is a large undertaking, involving insurance, permits and frequent retesting etc.

There are plenty of lists of where not to fly already - It would be good start a list of where is allowed...

“Roll it back”

If you were hoping to fly it in the middle of the city or above dense crowded areas it's an obvious no-no; not because of yourself but because of the many people before you that managed to frek it up; if you had in mind shop-street shots or specific buildings and/or sites to convert into money it's, also, a no-no.

That said, don't know exactly what's putting you off; it's meant to be flown in open spaces, with minimal chances of hurting anyone or damage to sites.

I've been flying mine at the beaches/rivers/lakes/hiking spots, never outside the regulations, except when i lose a bit of line of sight due to it's small size.

I've had a few RCs before but this one is, by a mile, my favourite toy ever !

I was going to use it in open spaces, taking scenic videos, photos, never my intention was to use it in towns, crowded areas, etc. Still I'm concern how can I obey the rule NOT use it "within 30m of any person, vessel or structure not under the control of the person operating the drone" as this even going to stop me to test/try it in my own backyard which is not small at all.

I was hoping also use it on the beach (which is now prohibited, and I don't own the private beach I'm afraid :) ), along the river, track our hiking, but again how can I be sure there will be no people around, I've no knowledge of desolate tracking routes :)

...and its only going to get more restrictive - so if you are interested in flying drones - now is really the time to do it before EU bring in really strict rules.

There is no training course that will increase where you can fly - only fully fledged commercial drone operator which is a large undertaking, involving insurance, permits and frequent retesting etc.

There are plenty of lists of where not to fly already - It would be good start a list of where is allowed...

True, but why start now, if you will be forced to quit what you came to love. Training will be for my own sake and in the future I may need to use it commercially.

• Advertisement

Well, it was shipped while I was chatting here :), so I'm going to own one anyway, pretty damn fast (ordered 1 day ago) considering complete lack of stock in EU, now the real question is where do I learn how to fly it (I have zero experience), considering all mentioned above? Is there a dedicated place where drone enthusiasts can fly their drones?

You're worrying too much - let me help a bit with that;

- get dji care - too many horror stories of non replaceable aricrafts damaged due to inexperience - protect your investment

- sharpie the batteries with numbers to cycle through them - write gimbal on the top to remind yourself to remove the protectors before starting the engines

- turn the tripod mode on and give it a go on your backyard ( not inside the house ) and setup the drone to your preferences

- flying 30m away from someone or a building isn't that hard - put it up there - you've a 120m limit - just go up

- bring it to the beach or an open field - as long as there isn't a crowd around and/or you don't fly too far away from you, you'll be fine

- it's Ireland ! There's plenty of open spaces - if someone has a big land, bring them a box of chocolates and ask to fly around in their field, or do it for free and given them aerial shots of their crops

i see a lot of the rules as guidelines; I'm not saying break the rules, but if you're flying it on a Sunday morning by the lake a not a single soul is around, what problems can it possibly bring if you've your aircraft up there !?

Offer to show people your footage and educate them - you'd be surprised with the anmount of people that consider drones the spying devil and get surprised to see they can't tell who's who once the drone is 50ft up in the air

Thanks mate, I'll follow your advice. Can I get DJI care after purchase complete?

Yeah - I got mine once it arrived, to be activated within 48h of receiving the aircraft

You don't have to register with IAA but I did it anyways; the people that say stuff like "it's less than blablabla I won't register blablabla its money in my pocket not required blablabla" are the same helping these regulations get strickier by the week

Register, pay the 5e ( I think that's how much I paid ) get your stickers, go by the book; something happens and you try to pledge ignorance with an unregistered craft might not go well; if you show stickers and registering emails and people might take you a bit more seriously, and not just a bum that is flying a drone on dangerous conditions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Hi, I'm new to rc drones,
    I'm just after purchasing a turnigy accucell 6 charger, however it doesn't come with a wall adaptor.
    Could anyone steer me in the right direction and maybe provide a link on ebay to a suitable plug.
    It's a 50 watt 6 amp charger that I have, i thought my own plug would do but just after realising it's not powerful enough.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Hi, I'm new to rc drones,
    It's a 50 watt 6 amp charger that I have, i thought my own plug would do but just after realising it's not powerful enough.

I use a 12v / 2A power supply to power my one. I think it's from an old laptop. Is that what you're looking for?

I also use this to power it on occassion - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-540w-220-240v-power-supply-13-8v-18v-30amp.html

Páid wrote: »
    I use a 12v / 2A power supply to power my one. I think it's from an old laptop. Is that what you're looking for?

I also use this to power it on occassion - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-540w-220-240v-power-supply-13-8v-18v-30amp.html

The only plug that would fit into the turnigy I have at home is a 12v 1.5 amp I found buried under a heap of older equipment, I get the balance connect error all the time when I try to charge it, I asked a guy down in the local electrical shop and he was saying the source has to be at least 6 amps as that is what is written on the face of the turnigy but if yours is working from a 12v 2A I might try and get one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Only owned a simple Syma x5hw so far, enjoy it, but
    1. Not in the least part stable
    2. I have zero trust in letting it to any altitude
    3. Camera is rubbish
    So Im willing to spend for a nice drone that wont break the bank (<400) but handles well, is steady in light wind and takes nice-ish video. Would prefer to buy somewhere that offer returns, company has spare parts and do not want to have to deal with import charges separately.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

The only plug that would fit into the turnigy I have at home is a 12v 1.5 amp I found buried under a heap of older equipment, I get the balance connect error all the time when I try to charge it, I asked a guy down in the local electrical shop and he was saying the source has to be at least 6 amps as that is what is written on the face of the turnigy but if yours is working from a 12v 2A I might try and get one of them.

Are you plugging in the balance connector as well as the main battery lead?

3008ae905ded97d528cdf33e794cf8d8.jpg

• Advertisement

Páid wrote: »
    Are you plugging in the balance connector as well as the main battery lead?

3008ae905ded97d528cdf33e794cf8d8.jpg

As in the lead with the white head? I've tried with and without and im still getting balance connect error, I found This lead online which I think Ill purchase
    https://www.amazon.com/T-Power-adapter-Turnigy-Accucel-Lipo/dp/B00CJ26OSY

Nothing else I have seems to do the job.

Advertisement