Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drones - General Discussion.

Options
  • 08-07-2016 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Planning on getting a phantom 4 in the near future.

Decided it might be a good idea for a general discussion thread to be started.
    What are your experiences to date? - Good / Bad.

Would be interested in hearing from someone who is using them commercially for promo videos etc and the legalities that come with that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tomstud12

I just bought my phantom 4 today and i just wanted to ask am i able to fly these at the beaches over water and stuff i know what the regulations are and registration but just wanted to ask or should i ask someone before i do or???

And this is where you register your drone right??

https://www.iaa.ie/general-aviation/drones/drone-registration

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You could take a look at www.maci.ie and check what their advice is for these small aircraft. Model aircraft fliers have experience of what really happens going back many decades.

I am personally extremely cautious about the idea of a mechanically vulnerable machine flying over other people, or their property. People sue to get money for themselves , either justifiably for damages caused to them cars children etc, or possibly alternatively just for greed. So public areas and model aircraft ..... not a prudent combination.

I understand that MACI were in negotiations with the IAA. And due to technological improvements in drones, and a tight control requirement emanating from the EU, it's in flux. The latest situation is probably on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Hey guys, I got a phantom 3 advanced a few weeks ago and it worked fine. Then one day I went to fly it and when I opened the app all of got was "how to connect" rather than "camera" I couldn't get a it to connect after following the instructions in the manual. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Shannon757

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Shannon757,

I got this error on my Phantom 4 the other day. It turns out I had swiped left or right on the DJI GO app, and the wrong aircraft was selected. Does the app show the Phantom 3 advanced on the home screen or has it gone to something else?

Kencollins wrote: »
    Shannon757,

I got this error on my Phantom 4 the other day. It turns out I had swiped left or right on the DJI GO app, and the wrong aircraft was selected. Does the app show the Phantom 3 advanced on the home screen or has it gone to something else?

When I open the app up it gives me the camera option for the inspire. Is this what you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I got a phantom 3 advanced a few weeks ago and it worked fine. Then one day I went to fly it and when I opened the app all of got was "how to connect" rather than "camera" I couldn't get a it to connect after following the instructions in the manual. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Shannon757

Turn off the receiver. Leave it a few secs and turn it on again. You will probably get a message on the phone "do you want DJI Go to be the default app" (or something similar). Press "Ok" and the phone should open up with the "Camera" screen.
    You might have to disconnect the USB from the phone as well but it generally works every time.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Turn off the receiver. Leave it a few secs and turn it on again. You will probably get a message on the phone "do you want DJI Go to be the default app" (or something similar). Press "Ok" and the phone should open up with the "Camera" screen.
    You might have to disconnect the USB from the phone as well but it generally works every time.
    I will try it when I get home. Thanks

Just tested my one again a few mins ago.

Turn on transmitter, then Drone, then connect the phone.

You should get the message "Open DJI Go when this USB accessory is connected?".

Tap "OK"

Hopefully you will get the "Camera" screen.
    Tap "Camera" and you should be good to go.

Must admit that it is a bit fiddly getting the phone to connect up but it works first time about 90% of the time and with a bit of turning the various receiver,drone, on and off it works the rest of the time.

Just tested my one again a few mins ago.

Turn on transmitter, then Drone, then connect the phone.

You should get the message "Open DJI Go when this USB accessory is connected?".

Tap "OK"

Hopefully you will get the "Camera" screen.
    Tap "Camera" and you should be good to go.

Must admit that it is a bit fiddly getting the phone to connect up but it works first time about 90% of the time and with a bit of turning the various receiver,drone, on and off it works the rest of the time.

I've done that but am not getting a message

I've done that but am not getting a message

Maybe it is the way I have set up the DJI app (i.e. it doesn't automatically open, I have to prompt it by tapping OK).
    Are you getting the "Camera" page for the Phantom 3 advanced or does it give you the camera page for the Mavic or the Inspire.
    If you get the page for the Mavic or Inspire simply swipe the page and you will get one for the Advanced series ( Phantom 4 or 3 Standard/Advanced/Professional).
    Select Phantom 3 Advanced and it should work.
    Mine generally pairs with the Advanced 3 straight away but sometimes it takes one or two tries.

• Advertisement

Maybe it is the way I have set up the DJI app (i.e. it doesn't automatically open, I have to prompt it by tapping OK).
    Are you getting the "Camera" page for the Phantom 3 advanced or does it give you the camera page for the Mavic or the Inspire.
    If you get the page for the Mavic or Inspire simply swipe the page and you will get one for the Advanced series ( Phantom 4 or 3 Standard/Advanced/Professional).
    Select Phantom 3 Advanced and it should work.
    Mine generally pairs with the Advanced 3 straight away but sometimes it takes one or two tries.
    What I have is the camera option for the Inspire but only How to connect for the phantoms

What I have is the camera option for the Inspire but only How to connect for the phantoms

Try this.

Leave everything switched on and just disconnect the lead from the phone then reconnect again.
    If that doesn't work, turn off the transmitter and then switch it on again.

Try this.

Leave everything switched on and just disconnect the lead from the phone then reconnect again.
    If that doesn't work, turn off the transmitter and then switch it on again.

Will do

No its still the same

No its still the same

Last resort so - Uninstall DJI go and re-install it.

Last resort so - Uninstall DJI go and re-install it.

I've tried that

I'm guessing that you bought the Phantom from Model Heli. Give them a ring in the morn and they should be able to talk you through it. I can PM you a number if you wish.

As I said it seems to be a bit fiddly but once it pairs correctly it seems to do it 90% or more of the time after that.

I'm guessing that you bought the Phantom from Model Heli. Give them a ring in the morn and they should be able to talk you through it. I can PM you a number if you wish.

As I said it seems to be a bit fiddly but once it pairs correctly it seems to do it 90% or more of the time after that.
    I bought it in Maplin actually. Would there be any point asking them for advice?

I bought it in Maplin actually. Would there be any point asking them for advice?

I'd give them a ring anyway or if they cant help the lads in Model Heli are very helpful.
    They are just outside Ennis.

I'd give them a ring anyway or if they cant help the lads in Model Heli are very helpful.
    They are just outside Ennis.

Ennis isn't to far from me. Do they have a shop?

• Advertisement

Ennis isn't to far from me. Do they have a shop?

They have a shop but it is at the back of a house in Inch village.
    Seriously impressive set up. They have their own little airfield as well.
    They sell heli's, planes, fuel etc etc.
    If you go down, leave the credit card at home:D

I see from their site that they are closed until next Tuesday though.

If you are still in trouble tomorrow, PM me your number and I will give you a ring and we can muddle through it together.

They have a shop but it is at the back of a house in Inch village.
    Seriously impressive set up. They have their own little airfield as well.
    They sell heli's, planes, fuel etc etc.
    If you go down, leave the credit card at home:D

I see from their site that they are closed until next Tuesday though.

If you are still in trouble tomorrow, PM me your number and I will give you a ring and we can muddle through it together.

I'll see if I can get near Maplin tomorrow or over the weekend. I'm in no rush with it. I'm off school next week so might call down. Thanks for all your help Vizzy

I'll see if I can get near Maplin tomorrow or over the weekend. I'm in no rush with it. I'm off school next week so might call down. Thanks for all your help Vizzy

No bother, glad to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

The reason you're getting the Inspire page is that it's the default for DJIgo as the controller isn't connecting to the phone. Nobody has suggested rebooting your phone so try that first. (You should do that fairly regularly anyhow). It might be as simple as not having enough cache memory available....
    The other reason you'll get the Inspire page is if the battery on the controller needs recharging...(excuse me for suggesting this but it happened to me once!)
    If all fails, try installing DJIGO on a different phone and see if it works, then you can isolate the problem to either the controller or the phone. Try using a difference USB cable too...

You may also find this forum useful:
    http://forum.dji.com/

exaisle wrote: »
    The reason you're getting the Inspire page is that it's the default for DJIgo as the controller isn't connecting to the phone. Nobody has suggested rebooting your phone. (You should do that fairly regularly anyhow). It might be as simple as not having enough cache memory available....
    The other reason you'll get the Inspire page is if the battery on the controller needs recharging...(excuse me for suggesting this but it happened to me once!)
    I cleared the cache and no difference. Also the controller and drone are fully charged

I've attached a link for the DJI forum....have a look there....

exaisle wrote: »
    I've attached a link for the DJI forum....have a look there....

I don't see a link?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Short mess with my New Hubsan X501s. Not a gimble drone, but it has over a 1KM range, Follow Me, Return to home for 230e with a decent control setup

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

I don't see a link?

I may have a solution for you.

I had the exact same issue last night.

You need to format the SD card in your PC.

Mine was corrupt (even though it appeared fine). As soon as I did a quick format, put it in the drone and turned it on, it connected first time.

Ken

• Advertisement

I don't see a link?

There's a link in my earlier post.

Let us know if you got it sorted....

Advertisement