Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Club Idea

Options
  • 07-07-2016 11:40pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking about this for a while, a type of book club but with videogames.

Anyway what this would entail would be to create a list of classic, weird and interesting games and pick one at random to play and discuss it while we play it. Prehaps get a few of us together and record a podcast at the end of it. The focus will be on games people wouldn't normally play.

I've seen this idea work really well with HG101's game club 199X which is still running and recording footage and podcasts. They've been played some reviled games like Snake's Revenge and Home Improvement and found some merit in them... well slightly less for Home Improvement.

Anyway to make this work there'll have to be a few rules:

- One game every month. Gives people more time to try it and won't cause people to become exhausted with the idea
    - Short games. About 8 hours is the sweet spot but maybe some leeway for shorter RPG games (15-20 hours). If it's successful we can look into adding longer games but I feel shorter experiences will work better.
    - Games are easily obtainable. Again this is something that can be expanded in future but initially it will be confined to games easily emulated or obtainable on current gen consoles. The more people that can take part the better.

Anyway I'm thinking of giving this a trial run depending on interest so let me know if you would be interested in this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Sounds like an interesting venture.

Here's where I make a joke about pretentious Walking Simulators and JRPGs that completely takes me out of the running :pac: *

What kind of format are you thinking?
    I would be of the mindset you could do it like the Clan of the Grey Wolf podcast things maybe?

*i kid, i kid

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

There's a homebrew way of running GameCube backups on the Wii that works fairly tidy if people are arsed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cormac... wrote: »
    Sounds like an interesting venture.

Here's where I make a joke about pretentious Walking Simulators and JRPGs that completely takes me out of the running :pac: *

What kind of format are you thinking?
    I would be of the mindset you could do it like the Clan of the Grey Wolf podcast things maybe?

*i kid, i kid

I'm not familiar with Clan of the Grey Wolf podcast. Was going to keep it pretty informal at first. From the Arcade and Retro podcast experience I have it seems to work better to have only a little structure to it and let the personalities shine, let it flow naturally but have someone there to rein it in if it gets a bit OT.
    There's a homebrew way of running GameCube backups on the Wii that works fairly tidy if people are arsed

I kind of want to avoid something like that. I'd consider that being a bit too much work for most people to play a game and would put people off. I'd rather have something like download an emulator or get the game from steam to be the easiest way of experiencing a game. I might look into Gamecube games if the method is easy but not until it gets off the ground. That is if it even gets off the ground.

We had a really fun score attack game of the month thread a few years ago on the arcade and retro forum which was stopped dead when someone picked a game from a home computer that was near impossible to get the emulator working for it. I want to avoid a situation like that and the more people taking part the longer it will live and the more voices we will have contributing. The podcast is just an idea but there'll be a supporting thread where people can discuss the game or give advice.

It's like a live discussion (in a twitch style but not on twitch afaik) but they upload them to youtube after, thing is they are kind of long, like 1.5-2 hour discussions, a bit too much in a way.

Will it involve capturing game footage?

Or are you thinking of doing audio only?

Or is it gonna be a discussion thread with posts here?

I'm always interested the how content creators develop their platform hence the questions

I read the title as GameCube that's why my post was so specific :D Never even copped...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cormac... wrote: »
    It's like a live discussion (in a twitch style but not on twitch afaik) but they upload them to youtube after, thing is they are kind of long, like 1.5-2 hour discussions, a bit too much in a way.

Will it involve capturing game footage?

Or are you thinking of doing audio only?

Or is it gonna be a discussion thread with posts here?

I'm always interested the how content creators develop their platform hence the questions

30-60 minutes is probably the best time for a podcast. 90-120 minutes is more for something like Giantbomb cast with lots of off topic chatter about nothing. I'd rather keep it short but sweet.

We could try and record it over skype at first and add video over it to upload it to youtube. Going to keep it very simple at first! Unless we have someone with capture tech then it might only be suitable for emulation or PC gaming.

I don't really want to do twitch style live commentary. I feel it's not informative at all. I'd rather discuss the game and peoples opinions of the game. If there was to be commentary I'd rather something like Matthew Matosis's recent Devil May Cry playthrough.

I was thinking more something along the lines of an episode of Retronauts which I'd find far more interesting than a twitch play with commentary but it is open to an evolving format and there wouldn't be anything to stop people adding their own content to the thread.

Would you have multiple platforms? I'd absolutely be down if you play PS4 games! Or else PC games that run on budget laptops ...

I'll be trying to include as many people as possible at the start. So it will be PC games and games that are easily emulated or available on current systems.

The focus will be on games you wouldn't normally play, take people out of there comfort zones. Therefore while there won't be any triple A new games there will definitely be indies.

So it will be Classic PC games that are easily available (through GoG or similar), indie games and classic games on easily emulated systems (so for now probably not PS1 since it is a pain in the arse). Old Triple A games will fall under that as well, it will be interesting to see how the stand the test of time.

As it evolves I can relax some of those requirements.

Also the focus will just be on playing the game and discussing it in the thread. Podcast/video ambitions are nice extras if they can be organised.

I vote for a point'n'click adventure game, preferably by LucasGames, to be the first one!

But mainly that I've been hankering to play one again :pac:

I vote for a point'n'click adventure game, preferably by LucasGames, to be the first one!

Curse of Monkey Island :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sounds like a good idea. Count me in anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

100% count me in. I record a regular ish podcast with a friend, but I'd love to join in on something more specifically gaming.

I'll be creating a list of games which will be chosen at random, I'll be taking suggestions as well. For the first week to get it off the ground I'll be picking a game myself but I have one in mind that while not quite point and click should please you.

Lucas arts games will definitely feature on the list though!

+1 Great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Definitely interested in this, looking forward to taking part

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yeah this seems like good fun alright.

If that list is filled with emo JRPGs though.......there'll be a paddlin! :p

Kirby wrote: »
    Yeah this seems like good fun alright.

If that list is filled with emo JRPGs though.......there'll be a paddlin! :p

I'll actually be avoiding them initially, I think games with too much of a time commitment won't work but that is subject to change.

Anyway this will be all about playing games totally outside your comfort zone so who knows, I might be able to convert you! :P

I'm currently putting together a draft list of games to be chosen randomly. Think I'll stick it up on google docs and then maybe have another list that people can edit with suggestions which I can vet.

I'm in two minds about including PS1 games?

How easy is it to emulate the PS1? I only ask because I've no clue myself, I stay away because I find it's really poorly emulated!

Also same question regarding the Saturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

There are a few classics on ps1 alright. Still, I don't know about anyone else but I'd rather avoid emulation with anything after n64. Performance takes a hit and it segregates the audience too much.

If its not easy to do, we wont have enough people willing to play along.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Omikron1

I really like the sound of this, count me in as well! PS1 emulation is pretty straightforward. Just one program and a couple of files and settings for it and then whatever roms. If there was a PS1 game suggested we could point people to the program and right settings. PS2 emulation is pretty straightforward too but requires a more powerful computer, might move in to the realm of excluding some people.

Just as a suggestion, how about a vote a week before we're due to start each game, where we vote on a shortlist of four or five?

• Advertisement

Omikron1 wrote: »
    I really like the sound of this, count me in as well! PS1 emulation is pretty straightforward. Just one program and a couple of files and settings for it and then whatever roms. If there was a PS1 game suggested we could point people to the program and right settings. PS2 emulation is pretty straightforward too but requires a more powerful computer, might move in to the realm of excluding some people.

Just as a suggestion, how about a vote a week before we're due to start each game, where we vote on a shortlist of four or five?

I was thinking about a shortlist as well. 3 games chosen at random is what they do over on HG101. I'll probably implement it after the first trial run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

This sounds like a great idea! I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of it and possibly participating myself. Easily emulated and steam games sound like the best options for something like this anyway.

A reasonable PC (not even a Gaming standard one) can handle PS1 emulation no problem, it's easy.

Gaming standard, even entry level will push a PS2

Original Xbox hasn't been cracked too well last I checked, not sure about the GameCube either but anything else 100% fine on a decent laptop.

Pretty much all consoles are fine with a PS3 or Xbox controller except the N64, but there's USB adapters for original controllers so the total cost for one shouldn't be over €20

Benefit of emulation is free games and immediate access to almost every game on 5th gen backwards, you don't have the hassle of sourcing games and lost deliveries etc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really good idea. There's an excellent podcast that do this - one game a week, announced a month in advance - Cane and Rinse. They announce the games and then play through them again and then devote a two-hour podcast to discussing the games. Could be an idea to take up on what they're doing. Either way, I'm down for it.

Gamecube emulates as good as PS2 in my experience. I played a bit of Metroid Prime on my old laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah even a decent Android phone can emulate PS1 now - PSP too.

I'm capping it at PS1/N64 for now with later indie or underappreciated games. The list is already insanely big at nearly 1000 games! I'll try posting it up tomorrow. Any suggestions on what to include would help. I've most of the obscure stuff, it's the more common stuff I'm missing :)

Also the games aren't all good. Plenty of naff ones there or ones that have aged terribly but hopefully they are all interesting in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Im in if we play Boulder Dash :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Interesting idea is be very interested in trying it out anyway

I assume that we will have a monthly thread here to discuss and chit chat?

I'm not sure how well a podcast would work with so many people I find 3 or 4 to be the max as people that talking over each other.

Might i suggest a limit on the cost of the monthly game? So as to open it up to more people as they can budget in a max cost of the game each month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Omikron1

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also the games aren't all good. Plenty of naff ones there or ones that have aged terribly but hopefully they are all interesting in some way.

Can I suggest that the games be 'good' or 'middling' to some extent. I know good is an abstract concept, but maybe a minimum rating on metacritic or similar. I like the idea of them not being AAA, that they are indie, or underrated or forgotten gems, or have fallen through the cracks, or are in some way different. But I wouldn't be keen on sinking 8 or 10 or 12 hours into a game that's considered pants, unless someone was really recommending it.

Advertisement