Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continuity Munster Chess!!

Options
  • 07-07-2016 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

I see a notice on another social media site that a new website is up and running called Munsterchess.com.
    It states that it’s going to a run league in the autumn. Looks like his spat with the MCU is set to roll on.
    I can’t see it take off, the man is very controversial and has become entrenched in his views regarding the fall out from what happened a number of years ago, also I can’t see the ICU giving recognition to it.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Why do people have to go and do nonsense like this?

Isn't this the same person that started a continuity ICU as well? And announced fake Munster Junior Championships last year, causing the MCU to warn everyone not hand back their trophies?

Really could do without this kind of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 must have a jest

cdeb wrote: »

Isn't this the same person that started a continuity ICU as well? And announced fake Munster Junior Championships last year, causing the MCU to warn everyone not hand back their trophies?

My favourite bits from the site:

From the section "Kitchen-Table League" (named after the suggested venue):

"...for busy Munster players who like to play short games, and fewer of them."

Good pitch. Presumably if you want to play as few as zero games, this could be the league for you.

But there's a nice note of realism:

"The minimum number of teams needed for the league to be viable is three."

And lower down, in case we forgot:

"A minimum of three teams needed for it to run."

I think that's because two teams would make it more of a match than a league (and one team would be the Adare Christmas party)

And finally, the books in the webshop are all written by the owner of the shop (naturally).

Where do I sign up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Tychoo

Can we say goodbye to Adare in the Munster League so?

I don't imagine they'd be giving up the Munster Leagues entirely just so they can compete in what is literally a pub league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I am strong foreing player want play for club in Ireland, there is club in new league loking for strong player? Am playing for €200 for match and money for travell.

Or if play in kitchen, a mug of cha and a nice buttery scone!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ovinelover

For your information the Munster Junior Championships you call fake were run as they always were, in January, and were rated by the ICU. They were well attended, better I'll guess than the upstart version in September. The Munster Junior Chess Committee (phantasy version) consists of a committee that has done nothing, except claim an authority it can't wield and flail about issuing Stalinist decrees and Kafkaesque indictments.
    In truth the MJCC never submitted to any chess authority in Ireland and nor will it.

Whoops!

All a bit People's Front of Judaea/Judaean People's Front... Hard to be sure what the real one is called!

I think the Peoples front are ratcheting up the bad feelings personal attack on the current chairman of the MCU on another social media site.
    It's sad to see how low a man can go.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭rob51

I think I detect a softening of attitude here :-).

I think I detect a softening of attitude here :-).

• Advertisement

Tychoo wrote: »
    I think the Peoples front are ratcheting up the bad feelings personal attack on the current chairman of the MCU on another social media site.
    It's sad to see how low a man can go.

Ironic that John Alfred and Gabriel proposed and seconded the current MCU chairman three years ago. I suspect his worst offence of all has been to act diligently and independently for Munster chess since.

So let that be a warning to anyone that is convinced to run as a proxy for them. "If you displease us we will turn on you"

I see his posted again that he's going to call it "Munster Chess Union" how original.
    Some charming "sound bits" about the Connaught but no substance to his comment.
    I'd be careful chess players in Connaught his "eye is upon you" and he must have his "preciousssssssssssssss"

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Pete Morriss

Some charming "sound bits" about the Connaught but no substance to his comment.
    I'd be careful chess players in Connaught his "eye is upon you" and he must have his "preciousssssssssssssss"

Thanks for the warning! I have no idea what he means by "the invalid expansion of the MCU into Connacht affairs", but we certainly won't be asking the Continuity MCU to defend us from the MCU's imperialism.

Am I right in thinking that Munster Junior chess has been on a downward spiral ever since Alfred got involved ten or so years ago?

Leinster is light-years ahead by comparison, with an excellent Junior function in the LCU and proper coordination amongst Junior clubs. And that's really only happened in the past decade.

Thanks for the warning! I have no idea what he means by "the invalid expansion of the MCU into Connacht affairs", but we certainly won't be asking the Continuity MCU to defend us from the MCU's imperialism.

I imagine that might refer to the fact that the MCU allows Connaught players to play in the leagues without imposing guest player restrictions until Connaught have their own FIDE rates league or the AGM agrees with John A. :-)

Am I right in thinking that Munster Junior chess has been on a downward spiral ever since Alfred got involved ten or so years ago?

Leinster is light-years ahead by comparison, with an excellent Junior function in the LCU and proper coordination amongst Junior clubs. And that's really only happened in the past decade.

It looks like a case of this is “my turf and I’m not willing to share it with anybody:mad::mad::mad:”, hence the attack on the MCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Pete Morriss

rob51 wrote: »
    I imagine that might refer to the fact that the MCU allows Connaught players to play in the leagues without imposing guest player restrictions until Connaught have their own FIDE rates league or the AGM agrees with John A. :-)

Thanks, though that objection would sound more like an invalid expansion of Connaught into MCU affairs. But it wouldn't be the first time that John Alfred got something completely the wrong way round, so I expect that you're right.

Latest update!!!

I hear from a friend of mine in the “Continuity Camp” that they have lined up a few “patsy” to challenge the current committee of the MCU. I feel sorry for those people.
    Just remember how they have treated the last person they put forward.

It looks like there is real intent to destroy the MCU from within and from the outside.
    I even heard talk that if “CC” does rest control that they won’t be much of a league left as the clubs will either withdraw or reconstitute them selves as another league.

So they’ll be three leagues in Munster. The MCU, the CMCU and the CCMCU and we must not forget the Munster Juniors and the “Continuity Munster Juniors” all in all there is going to be a hell of a lot of chess played or no at all.

Just as an aside to this issue I was looking over the “CC” website stating it had over a 100 clubs signed up or affiliated. There all “Joiners Clubs” of some kind. Talk about a lad grasping at straws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ovinelover

Latest update!!!

I hear from a friend of mine in the “Continuity Camp” that they have lined up a few “patsy” to challenge the current committee of the MCU. I feel sorry for those people.
    Just remember how they have treated the last person they put forward.

It looks like there is real intent to destroy the MCU from within and from the outside.
    I even heard talk that if “CC” does rest control that they won’t be much of a league left as the clubs will either withdraw or reconstitute them selves as another league.

So they’ll be three leagues in Munster. The MCU, the CMCU and the CCMCU and we must not forget the Munster Juniors and the “Continuity Munster Juniors” all in all there is going to be a hell of a lot of chess played or no at all.

Just as an aside to this issue I was looking over the “CC” website stating it had over a 100 clubs signed up or affiliated. There all “Joiners Clubs” of some kind. Talk about a lad grasping at straws.

That's all well and good Tycho but can you answer me this: If you have the time to comment on this thread why don't you do your duty to the Munster Chess Uniion and update it's website as to the "patsy" nominations? Hardly professional if you ask me.

• Advertisement

There's a Politics section on that page now - didn't notice that before (or maybe I wasn't bothered looking)

Starts off with "Report by John Alfred.......Chess Hero: Gabriel Mirza"

And then conveniently overlooks the physical attack which even Mirza has admitted a number of times.

Then there's a bizarre whine about how Munster didn't get to host the Irish Junior Championships this year when it was its "turn" - but there were no offers from Munster to run it, so it was hard to give it to them to run.

Good spot by must have a jest about the shop as well!

All this from a person who's tried to attend and speak at ICU AGMs before, despite not bothering to actually join. And a similar issue at MCU AGMs too I think.

Well good morning to you Ovinelover.

You were up late last night, couldn't sleep? Worried about it. Perhaps you should count sheep to get to sleep.
    I do believe you are fishing. I've nothing to do with the site or the MCC or the CMUC.
    The closing date for submissions and nominations is tomorrow the 17th after that we'll see who Sauron has sent fourth to do his bidding.
    It will be interesting to see what motions will be put forward no doubt they will be trying to undo the work the present commitie have done over the last two years.

There's a Politics section on that page now - didn't notice that before (or maybe I wasn't bothered looking)

Starts off with "Report by John Alfred.......Chess Hero: Gabriel Mirza"

And then conveniently overlooks the physical attack which even Mirza has admitted a number of times.

Then there's a bizarre whine about how Munster didn't get to host the Irish Junior Championships this year when it was its "turn" - but there were no offers from Munster to run it, so it was hard to give it to them to run.

Good spot by must have a jest about the shop as well!

All this from a person who's tried to attend and speak at ICU AGMs before, despite not bothering to actually join. And a similar issue at MCU AGMs too I think.

And he's attached to Alfred's Juniors Chess committee. I'm sure the parents of the 100 plus chess clubs in Munster would like to hear that.

Yup. Sure what could go wrong?

Maybe we could even let the guy captain an Olympiad team with juniors on it. As the website says, "Ireland owes you".

The nominations and motions for the fourth coming AGM of the MCU have now been posted on their site.

True to form some individuals aligned to the “CC” have come forward but have failed to get on the selection panel as outlined on their website:mad:, along with motions that seek to undo changes made over the past number of years.

The question is why are they doing this if there going and setting up their own league?

The next big question the MCU and its clubs must ask itself is those it purge itself of clubs that are aligned to the “CC” because this schism those not look like its going to end:(.

"CC" now playing the man and not the ball. How low can it go? Come on guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The nominations and motions for the fourth coming AGM of the MCU have now been posted on their site.

True to form some individuals aligned to the CC have come forward but have failed to get on the selection panel as outlined on their website:mad:, along with motions that seek to undo changes made over the past number of years.

The question is why are they doing this if there going and setting up their own league?

The next big question the MCU and its clubs must ask itself is those it purge itself of clubs that are aligned to the CC because this schism those not look like its going to end:(.
    For those who are interested here is a link to MCU Website.

I see there is a rebuttal from the MCU to the "CC" not sure how to link it

"Oh! what a tangled web we weave.When first we practice to deceive!":(

Walter Scott 1808

• Advertisement

I see there is a rebuttal from the MCU to the "CC" not sure how to link it
    Is it this?

Advertisement