Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for advice on purchasing strategy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Looking at a Renault Kadjar, 20 km (yes, 20, not 20,000 :) ) 25,500, 161 reg. List price is 29, 950 for this model, so a saving of 4000.

Gorgeous car, lots of gadgets for me. :)

When you go to sell trade in a few years that saving will reduce the cost of upgrading as well. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

dingding wrote: »
    When you go to sell trade in a few years that saving will reduce the cost of upgrading as well. Good luck with it.

That's some creative accounting... The same saving consumed twice...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Looking at a Renault Kadjar, 20 km (yes, 20, not 20,000 :) ) 25,500, 161 reg. List price is 29, 950 for this model, so a saving of 4000.

Gorgeous car, lots of gadgets for me. :)

Nobody pays list price for a Renault.
    Still nice discount, but you'd get a fair chunk of that anyway.
    That said, even if you're only saving €1k extra it's worth it.

Keep an eye on qashqais as they will most certainly have a higher resale value despite being essentially the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

How is 25 k not alot of cash to throw around?

I wish I had 25 k to spend on a car. I only have about 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You need to become an admin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Wesser wrote: »
    How is 25 k not alot of cash to throw around?

I wish I had 25 k to spend on a car. I only have about 2.

Who said it wasn't a lot of cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

You did.

You said that you did not want the salesman to assume ( incorrectly) that you have a lot of cash to throw around.

the word " incorrectly" implies that you believe you do not have alot of cash.

Just a quick update - I'm picking up the Kadjar tomorrow.

It's been an interesting experience, gone are the days of haggling to get the best deal, a buyer may get a token €1000 off, but nothing more.

I was surprised with the level of apathy and disinterest I experienced, salesmen obviously don't have to work too hard for a sale these days. While I acknowledge my timing wasn't optimum, I didn't have a lot of choice other than to buy now.

Having said that, I am looking forward to enjoying the car and the various gadgets it has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It's been an interesting experience, gone are the days of haggling to get the best deal, a buyer may get a token €1000 off, but nothing more.

I was surprised with the level of apathy and disinterest I experienced, salesmen obviously don't have to work too hard for a sale these days. While I acknowledge my timing wasn't optimum, I didn't have a lot of choice other than to buy now.

Having said that, I am looking forward to enjoying the car and the various gadgets it has to offer.

They are not gone... It's Renault :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

grogi wrote: »
    They are not gone... It's Renault :D

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,130 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a case of supply v demand.
    1. New car sales for last year and this year to date are at a record high so there is less necessity for dealers to work hard for a sale.
    2. Also the second half year registration change only kicked in at the beginning of July so new cars are still going out the door in fairly healthy numbers.
    3. Another thing is that you were in the market for a type of car that have become very popular here in the last number of years. Dealers have no problem selling crossover SUV vehicles.

To get the best deal you really need to pick the correct time when sales are slower than normal and preferably a car that does not have high demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Best wishes with the new car. It's a very pretty bus, I'd pick it any day over the Quashqai.

By any chance did you get one in that lovely candy apple red?

deandean wrote: »
    By any chance did you get one in that lovely candy apple red?

Dear God, no. :D

Although, admittedly, it is very nice. Went for the conservative dark grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Good luck with the Kadjar. They are infinitely nicer than a Quasqai imo.

What spec is it? Did you get Bose, or the panoramic roof? Both nice options on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Far nicer car than the Nissan, and more practical too. As asked, what spec did you go for? Some tasty options on the Renault list for that model alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

Just looking for advice on how I should handle a car purchase.

I'm a returning emigrant, so I have no trade-in. I'm also a cash buyer, so no banks/finance needed. I will most likely buy new.

I don't want to let the dealer know I am returning from the Middle East, as I am sure they will jump to the (incorrect) assumption that I have plenty of cash to throw around.

Just wondering on the whole finance thing - are car salesman on commission for getting customers to sign up for finance? As in, does it put me in a weaker position because I won't be signing up for finance?

Any ideas on what kind of discount to expect on a car? If the list price, say, for a Hyundai Tuscon is 25,475, what should my target be to haggle the salesman down? I also believe these are flying off the salesroom floor, so the salesman may not be as willing to haggle.

Any tips for me when I go into a garage to start the negotiations?

I worked in car sales for in a garage selling hyundais for the past year. You must have plenty of money if you are buying with cash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

grogi wrote: »
    Qashqai is much nicer place to be in than the over-hyped Tucson if you're looking for a crossover.

You might check its Renault Kadjar - but what you experience at Skoda is my typical experience at Renault garage.

Sold Tucsons no longer in sales but do not agree dont see the attraction with them Nissans as for the Renault awful advice deprecation is crazy and its a Renault enough said.

Good luck with the Kadjar. They are infinitely nicer than a Quasqai imo.

What spec is it? Did you get Bose, or the panoramic roof? Both nice options on them!

It's the Dynamique Nava model. Didn't get the panoramic roof, not sure about the Bose speakers, I'll check. It's a lovely drive, but I'm having a (well known) issue with getting my Samsung connected to it over Bluetooth.
    audi12 wrote: »
    I worked in car sales for in a garage selling hyundais for the past year. You must have plenty of money if you are buying with cash.

Seriously, WTF has this got to do with anything? I studied hard, I worked hard and I saved hard. Do us all a favour and take your begrudgery elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,130 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How much money or how the OP spends it is nobody's concern but the OPs. Typical Irish begrudging attitude though.
    Sold Tucsons no longer in sales but do not agree dont see the attraction with them Nissans as for the Renault awful advice deprecation is crazy and its a Renault enough said.

Not difficult to think why.

Advertisement