Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

tail-gatres

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Re the dashcam, would the footage not show that they'd been tailgating you and negate their claims anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Marcusm wrote: »
    For countries with a free at the point of use healthcare system (like the uK's NHS), medical costs don't come into a whiplash claim as there is simply no unavoidable cost.

Free.... "at the point of use" being the important bit of course :-) kudos for having the sense to include that.

Regardless of whether Herr Average is paying through tax or insurance for the poor driving of others... bad whiplash will quickly cancel out any smugness the OP might feel at having "taught a tail gatre a lesson".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

if you jam on for an animal it's your fault.

no matter how cute or furry or whatever the thing is

NEVER EVER JAM ON FOR ANIMALS IF SOMEBODY IS BEHIND YOU.

What if its a 170 stone Bull charging across your line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

it's general good advice but the person behind should be following at a distance which would allow them to avoid occurrences.

• Advertisement

don't brake, don't use your fog lights is my advice least it be construed as brake testing/road rage.
    I slow up to try and drop the hint and if that doesn't work, a quick flash of the hazards (after all, they are a hazard) works. I had a guy up my chuff all through the N20 road works south of Mallow the other day. I'd have let him past to get rid of the idiot if I could have, but he had no chance of passing me or the other 200 cars in front! Eventually he got the idea and dropped back a little, and guess what? he turned left at the Bottlehill turn immediately after the roadworks!

I find the hazard lights work best (quick blast when they get too close). Sometimes the fogs are ineffective, especially in the day time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

I wonder how many people in here that have encountered such instances are the drivers that do 50km/hr in an 80km/hr zone.

I was stuck behind a guy this morning doing just that on the way to work and funnily enough it was his absolute lack of progress that caused me to get closer to him at certain points than was probably logical, but I was able to just lift off the accelerator and drop back a bit every time. It was however infuriating as his driving was illogically slow and for no good reason, other than I guess he didn't have anywhere to be at any certain time, unlike myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭almostover

dar83 wrote: »
    I wonder how many people in here that have encountered such instances are the drivers that do 50km/hr in an 80km/hr zone.

I was stuck behind a guy this morning doing just that on the way to work and funnily enough it was his absolute lack of progress that caused me to get closer to him at certain points than was probably logical, but I was able to just lift off the accelerator and drop back a bit every time. It was however infuriating as his driving was illogically slow and for no good reason, other than I guess he didn't have anywhere to be at any certain time, unlike myself.

Had this happen me last Friday. Was stuck behind an old dear on an 80 km/h road and she was doing 45-50 km/h. Fine, she is perfectly entitled to do so. I keep my distance until I know a stretch of the road with a broken white line to overtake. I come to this stretch known to me, see that no traffic is oncoming, indicate to overtake and immediately she begins beeping her horn furiously. I check again for oncoming traffic, and nothing. Sped up to about 80 km/h passed her out safely and she continues to blare her horn and shakes her fist at me as I pass her out. Utterly baffling! Never seen anyone of this age have road rage like this. Considering I did nothing wrong or dangerous I shouted some expletives and went on my journey. If the Traffic Corps spent 4-5 hours a day driving around the roads in an unmarked car the amount of dangerous driving and poor driver behaviour they would observe would be frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭almostover

almostover wrote: »

Had this happen me last Friday. Was stuck behind an old dear on an 80 km/h road and she was doing 45-50 km/h. Fine, she is perfectly entitled to do so. I keep my distance until I know a stretch of the road with a broken white line to overtake. I come to this stretch known to me, see that no traffic is oncoming, indicate to overtake and immediately she begins beeping her horn furiously. I check again for oncoming traffic, and nothing. Sped up to about 80 km/h passed her out safely and she continues to blare her horn and shakes her fist at me as I pass her out. Utterly baffling! Never seen anyone of this age have road rage like this. Considering I did nothing wrong or dangerous I shouted some expletives and went on my journey. If the Traffic Corps spent 4-5 hours a day driving around the roads in an unmarked car the amount of dangerous driving and poor driver behaviour they would observe would be frightening.
    Just to clarify I shouted the expletives to myself in the car, not out the window to that lady as I passed her!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Free.... "at the point of use" being the important bit of course :-) kudos for having the sense to include that.

Regardless of whether Herr Average is paying through tax or insurance for the poor driving of others... bad whiplash will quickly cancel out any smugness the OP might feel at having "taught a tail gatre a lesson".

My point is more that the expected payout for whiplash in Ireland is greater than it would be in other countries as it is effectively a one off payment which must necessarily cover future medical costs without any idea of whether there will be any long term medical need. In other words, they get a lump sum now to cover costs that may never arise. It's a pity the PIAB process doesn't invlve an indemnity for future costs rather than an upfront payment which errs on the high side.

• Advertisement

almostover wrote: »
    Had this happen me last Friday. Was stuck behind an old dear on an 80 km/h road and she was doing 45-50 km/h. Fine, she is perfectly entitled to do so..

Is she really perfectly entitled to do so? - I dont know the legal stance on this but I would think she is not perfectly entitled to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Is she really perfectly entitled to do so? - I dont know the legal stance on this but I would think she is not perfectly entitled to do so

She absolutely is perfectly legally entitled to do 50. Just overtake people like that, don't take it personally and just treat them as any other hazard you would find on a road.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hate the irish driving mentality of '80km/h all the time is absolutely grand'. Those are the people I hate getting stuck behind. They do 80 on a 100km/h road but god help you if you want to overtake them. And if you do ever get in front of one of them they'll be inches from your bumper as you drive through a town with a 60km/h limit.

These morons are the same ones who would ring the guards if someone was doing 120km/h in a 100 zone, or 140 on the motorway. But if they're in a 50 zone? They are seemingly only capable of doing 80km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 28,689 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd agree..

On the M7 outbound last night and the usual slowdown around Naas-Carlow exit until the traffic loosens up and what do I encounter then.. dawdling asshat doing about 100 in the outside lane with a line of cars behind them.. either speed up to the limit and/or GTF out of the way!
    Steve wrote:
    I'm assuming you haven't recently driven on the M50 so. What you say is just not possible. Any safety gap you leave is immediately filled with about 6 weavers.

I'm not saying it's right, just how it is, no escaping it, doesn't matter what lane you are in.

Driving these days is all about keeping survival options open.

Spot on... the M50 is a daily exercise in defensive driving. Any gap you leave will be immediately filled by someone weaving in front of you (and generally while doing a slower speed as well) so it's best to not to give them the option.

To be honest I find the best approach in general is to be going somewhat faster then they are whenever possible/safe to do so as it tends to discourage the idiots from taking chances at the last minute and they stay put until you pass them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

She is unfortunately. I lose a large portion of my life to these fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

once she isn't breaking any other Law, she is indeed entitled to do 50 km/h. Sundays are the worst and pension day can be fraught too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Maybe you wouldn't get it bad if you were expecting the impact. Who knows. You don't want to find yourself weeks down the line unable to get a proper nights sleep, or wash your car without being in pain the next day etc etc.

Then pay people for the expenses of whiplash (receipts for physio,therapy,equipment needed,damn it counseling if they're physiologically damaged...) not 15 grand for a nice holiday because you had a fright and a sore neck for a week...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

Markcheese wrote:
    Then pay people for the expenses of whiplash (receipts for physio,therapy,equipment needed,damn it counseling if they're physiologically damaged...) not 15 grand for a nice holiday because you had a fright and a sore neck for a week...

I hope you never suffer whiplash. A lot more than a sore neck for a week let me tell you!

Not disagreeing that some people do take the piss though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Markcheese wrote: »
    a fright and a sore neck for a week...

If the insurance companies have succeeded at anything*, it's convincing Joe Average that physics, physiology and common sense just don't apply to the cervical spine, and that anyone looking for more than 2 aspirin and a cup of tea is a scummy fraudster. Much like all those scummers driving older cars, fraudsters every single one of them! And that it's those scummy fraudsters are driving most of the increase in insurance, and definitely not crap investments and tougher requirements on reserves etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

I wonder how many people in here that have encountered such instances are the drivers that do 50km/hr in an 80

I was rear ended by an idiot who was tailgating me in the overtaking lane. I was doing 100k/hr, actually overtaking but I was too slow for him. I remember glancing in the mirror seconds before impact, knowing that it was inevitable. He was speeding up, I was not. I wasn't the only car in that lane, so I would have hit the car in front if I had inceeased my speed.

He claimed that I was going slowly, slammed on the brakes, etc. I was very lucky that some people stopped and waited for the Gardai to corroborate my story. Asshole was threatening to claim off me too.

I claimed for the cost of the car. Nothing more.

I do get nervous around tailgaters now though. Hazards go on til they pull back. Some people are so thick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,689 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

once she isn't breaking any other Law, she is indeed entitled to do 50 km/h. Sundays are the worst and pension day can be fraught too

Could be done under "driving without undo care and attention" I'm sure if AGS were minded to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Could be done under "driving without undo care and attention" I'm sure if AGS were minded to.

I was thinking of that but unlikely to get a conviction.

RTA 1961 - 2011
    51A.— (1) A person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place without reasonable consideration for other persons using the place.

You would have to prove they were doing it deliberately.

IMO, there are only two options, they are either incapable (should not be on the road) or unwilling (see above) of driving at a reasonable speed and should be taken away and shot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just slow down gradually so they get fed up and overtake you.
    But they never do :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Steve wrote: »
    unless they have a dashcam :)

Irrelevant they should leave sufficent room for the car ahead to brake , the dashcam can't see what the driver in front sees

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Steve wrote: »
    Nope.

Plenty of convictions on record for 'brake testing' (classifies legally as road rage). Most of them verified by video footage.
    Bullsh1t, if you're driving too close it's your fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Whiplash can be hell. Anyone who has had it would find it inconceivable that this fabled €600 total cost in Germany is a anything but complete fib, unless doctors and physios work for free in Germany and the victim's time is also worthless.

Maybe you wouldn't get it bad if you were expecting the impact. Who knows. You don't want to find yourself weeks down the line unable to get a proper nights sleep, or wash your car without being in pain the next day etc etc.

I've had whiplash since this time last year. I haven't claimed but my sister did as her car was wrote off. I was the passenger and I used to roll my eyes when I heard whiplash but it's been absolutely horrible. You just feel it right to your core. It's not horrendous pain just relentless dull ache that would drive you to distraction. It makes me knackered when it's bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just slow down gradually so they get fed up and overtake you.

Thats what I do, lol

She absolutely is perfectly legally entitled to do 50. Just overtake people like that, don't take it personally and just treat them as any other hazard you would find on a road.

Isn't it an awful pity if it is legal. Can't be bothered checking so just going to take your word for it.;)

Anyone see the case in the UK where a farmer got done for creating a 50 car tailback over just 3 miles.
    It's obviously an offence of some sort in the UK to hold up traffic, therefore I wonder just how legal it really is here. They need to crack down on this IMO.

Sometimes in cases like this though, I think the gob****e behind the tractor/slow driver is just as guilty for not overtaking when there are obvious opportunities to do so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3674032/The-conviction-motorist-cheer-Tractor-driver-fined-190-trundling-slowly-queue-FIFTY-cars-trapped-him.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Bullsh1t, if you're driving too close it's your fault.

So you are saying the cops were wrong here?

*WARNING NSFW LANGUAGE*

Advertisement