Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I go up the Malahide Rd. to Fairview and into town that way. I looked at the coastal way but it adds 7 or 8kms onto the journey. Maybe in the summer I'll give it a go but not at the moment.

Yeah I thought that would be it. It's not a bad spin in to be fair! The coast is handy for me in Portmarnock as it doesn't add too much distance.

Windy again this morning, and first morning with the gloves on. I suppose I better get used to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Yeah I thought that would be it. It's not a bad spin in to be fair! The coast is handy for me in Portmarnock as it doesn't add too much distance.

Windy again this morning, and first morning with the gloves on. I suppose I better get used to it!

To be honest with the wind yesterday I just jumped in the car. Was sickened on the way home though seeing everyone on the bikes as it had calmed down a lot, and I probably would have saved the guts of half an hour on the bike compared to the car.

In the summer I'm definitely going to give the coastal route a go, haven't tried the cycling lane down Clontarf at all. If I was over the Portmarnock direction alright I might try it but I'm much closer to Swords.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

40km around Trim and Bective, very windy and cold at 10am but enough gear on to keep it at bay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Broke the 2,000km mark this morning! Small beans, I know, but big for me given that I only started back cycling "properly" in the second quarter of the year after nearly two years of more or less nothing!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Half day from work so with a decent forecast took the "good bike" (in reality they're all good bikes if they go) in.

Headed from IFSC to Howth Summit via the Village side. Went up in too high a gear and gave myself more work than I had to so Stopped for a spot of my lunch and down to Sutton before looping back up around the coast road and St. Fintan's Rd which went to 14% which surprised me but I had the right gear at least.

Followed the Coast road, took some wrong turns in Malahide and headed home via Swords.

51 kms thereabouts on a lovely sunny afternoon.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1216327407

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Weepsie wrote: »
    Half day from work so with a decent forecast took the "good bike" (in reality they're all good bikes if they go) in.

Headed from IFSC to Howth Summit via the Village side. Went up in too high a gear and gave myself more work than I had to so Stopped for a spot of my lunch and down to Sutton before looping back up around the coast road and St. Fintan's Rd which went to 14% which surprised me but I had the right gear at least.

Followed the Coast road, took some wrong turns in Malahide and headed home via Swords.

51 kms thereabouts on a lovely sunny afternoon.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1216327407

I'm not remotely jealous.

That was a lie. I am in fact horribly jealous of your afternoon.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I did my first proper dark nighttime ride home last night after a late one in work. It wasn't too bad, but traffic was light at the time. Not looking forward to the dark evenings we will have before too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I did my first proper dark nighttime ride home last night after a late one in work. It wasn't too bad, but traffic was light at the time. Not looking forward to the dark evenings we will have before too long.

Clocks go back in about 3 weeks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/1217551371

Lazy 57Km around NCD this morning. I was planning to head to Howth but after only a few minutes out I knew I wouldn't have the energy for any big hills today so I wandered about with no real plan apart from to stay away from traffic. It was single figures temperature when I left the house so I was well wrapped up - even wore the winter boots and lobster mitts.. Toasty!
    Noticed an awful lot of dumped rubbish around today - at least a dozen black bags, most of them split open. Some people just get on my ***s!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1217551371

Lazy 57Km around NCD this morning. I was planning to head to Howth but after only a few minutes out I knew I wouldn't have the energy for any big hills today so I wandered about with no real plan apart from to stay away from traffic. It was single figures temperature when I left the house so I was well wrapped up - even wore the winter boots and lobster mitts.. Toasty!
    Noticed an awful lot of dumped rubbish around today - at least a dozen black bags, most of them split open. Some people just get on my ***s!

I noticed the same on my own cycle. Lot's of fly tipping around St. Margaret's, Airport, Hollystown. @rseholes.

Did 78 km myself as I had the day off and my mother needed her new PC set up so took a long route there and a mild detour home to get the distance up.

Noticeably colder than yesterday and I didn't realise I had leg warmers in my bag the entire time.

Also like above intended on going to Howth but the legs were not feeling it and said tomorrow.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1217840148

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Noticed an awful lot of dumped rubbish around today - at least a dozen black bags, most of them split open. Some people just get on my ***s!
    I nearly collided with a few open bags strew on the road between Lusk and Blake's Cross while cycling to work this morning (in the dark). To me they looked like they had fallen off a vehicle rather than deliberately dumped as some rubbish was in the center on the lane.

Got out again for a third day in a row of cycling which is rare.

Headed straight to Howth and remembered my mistake grinding up the village side on Thursday so was better prepared. Did 2 loops and a little loop back around Sutton strand and up St. Fintans road which is a short steep one.. Followed the coast road to Swords, before backroads to Naul that I've never been on, including the Nags head. Much quieter than my usual route to Naul but narrow, bumpy and mucky in places but good nonetheless.

Turned for home but turned back to have a coffee and scone the Seamus Ennis Arts place. A big group of cyclists arrived as I was leaving all in good spirits. Went for home via Oldtown and the back of the airport.

Home for a big feed after 102 kms in 3 hr, 50 mins at 26 kmph. Got some decent climbing in for me too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1219007100

In checking Strava, I see some guy from Brazil has been mopping up all the KoMs around Dublin the last few months. I was never in danger of taking any and just stick to the personal targets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

80 km @ 25 avg this morning with the club, very windy with a few nice climbs for good measure. Came across a race / sportive between Donore village and N2 at Bru Na boinne anyone know what it was ??

I nearly collided with a few open bags strew on the road between Lusk and Blake's Cross while cycling to work this morning (in the dark). To me they looked like they had fallen off a vehicle rather than deliberately dumped as some rubbish was in the center on the lane.

Aye, there were a couple there and a lot more on Batter Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

moonshadow wrote: »
    80 km @ 25 avg this morning with the club, very windy with a few nice climbs for good measure. Came across a race / sportive between Donore village and N2 at Bru Na boinne anyone know what it was ??

The Kevin King Memorial Cycle.

Organised by Drogheda Wheelers C.C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Plastik

199.3km, 28.8avg, 2250m ascent. Great day out. Early morning Swift ferry to Holyhead, 145km through Anglesea, down into Snowdonia, and back for the evening ferry home.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭ted1

90km today around Athlone for the ESB 90th anniversary. Good route relative flat.
    Average of 27kmh could have been better but that was the wave I ended up in and we couldn’t break off

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

20km from Kilbogget Park down to Dun Laoghaire, up the coast to Shankill and back to the park in time for my daughter's GAA match. Only had an hour to squeeze in a spin, but always love the Killiney beach views from Vico Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 audrey27

Just finished cycling with my family and closest friends. It is a good thing that having the theme of "Fitness is for keeps" for our family day.8-)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭cyfac

90k in 3hrs 30 this morning lovely here in cork all in the small ring you cant beat nice nice easy winter training spins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Pleasant day out on the bike yesterday. Left the Tassie, headed down into Bray, Greystones and along the coast to Kilcoole. Lost the lads there as they wanted a short one, and headed on to Newcastle. Quick detour to look at the sea (wet), then back to the coast road. Some road I've often looked at snaked up a hill, so I took a look - turns out it becomes a cart track and peters out. Back to the coast road...just as the surface really goes to bits, headed right for Ashford. That took me in via the Cullenmore; swung up right then towards Roundwood, via Killiskey Cross Roads. At the cross, turned left instead, and headed back down to the Devils Glen, and from there across towards Moneystown, Garryduff, and above the Clara valley, eventually dropping into Laragh for soup and coffee. Lovely quiet roads in autumn colours - the very odd car, hardly any cyclists. Fuelled up, it was up the Glenmacnass waterfall (lovely as ever) and ramble across the Sally Gap (a few drops of rain, but nothing serious) and down into Glencree. A quick spin to Enniskerry, Kilternan, and back to the Tassie.

Some spins are just more enjoyable than others. This one was heavy on the enjoyment factor. No particular reason, just seemed easy and pleasant, nice weather, green countryside, generally ok road surface. No epic speeds, no major hardship. Bike ran smoothly all day. Certainly feel better equipped to face Monday now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Yesterday's was eventful.
    Wasn't feeling amazing yesterday morning, so left late morning from Valleymount and ambled up over the Gap, had descended about 4km on the way into Laragh when 'pop', the front tyre had a blow-out. Was a little scarey as I was probably doing 50+ kmph so had to not panic and slow down without losing the bike into oncoming traffic! Stopped eventually and walked down a further 100m to a layby and started to fix the puncture. A cyclist descending after me turned round and very kindly helped me with it. It was a fellow boardsie too, CoastWatch (I hope have that correct, memory is ****e!) We got the front sorted and as Im pulling away I realise the back is gone too! So we set to work on that, I'd only one tube so Coastwatch offered me his spare. We fit that but the bloody value breaks (Conti tube with a reversible valve on it) so thats that gone. Last option is to patch the old one, he had a kit so thats what we do. Its going well and taking on air until we hear a squeal and realise the patch is not working. Bollix! I decided at that point I'd delayed him enough and its time to call the missus to bail me out. I'd 20km done so she didnt have too far to come.
    Got home and fitted a new rear tube and headed out again just before 5pm, 25km over to Laragh via the Gap once more, and back the same way.
    Bloody punctures! I'l be taking two tubes from now on, even on short rides.
    Thanks so much to Coastwatch, you're a gentleman and I owe you a tube or a coffee sometime. Hope you had a good spin and no more puncture related incidents!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Headed out on the Grand Canal from Dublin to Monasterevin yesterday. Gorgeous colours as the autumn starts to take hold. The offroad patches are starting to get wet and mucky. Robertstown to Monasterevin was a real slog! Had hoped to make to Vicarstown, but the legs weren't happy. Perfect day for a spin though.

No thanks to the skangers who smashed a window all over the path at Bluebell though. :mad: Tubeless tyres FTW!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1220779251

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

46km around NCD this morning. Had a bit of an issue with the rear tyre pressure and forgot to pack the rain jacket as a result. But hey ho, and all that, it was just nice to be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Yesterday's spin was 98km 25 k average approx , off the bike since April so easing back into it over the last month. Fitness is non existent, holding on at the back most of the day

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

https://www.strava.com/activities/1222531564

40km after work with some of the hairiest close passes I have ever experienced, about 6-7 in total. One from a guy who overtook me safely then pulled in and came past with inches to spare??

Felt a lot better than Saturday though so happy with that, winter bike running well too just need a different saddle on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Started commuting to work last week for the first time in over 4 years. It's ~20 miles round trip. Enjoying it so far.
    Had my first fall since I was 12 though going home last night, bruised ego, sore leg, sore bum, cuts and bruises is the worst of it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nipped up to Massey's at lunch today to see whether the shoulders could survive a bit of light off-road and maybe do the start of the Weevil. Shoulders said no, but hopefully another month or so will sort this. Muddy enough to make the slicks a challenge but not ridiculously so. Nicer than the summer being a bit cooler with fewer insects, envious of the weevilers!

430253.JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/1226598121

70Km around NCD and over to Ashbourne. Nice dry morning for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭secman

Did a sneaky 50 km at midday yesterday, weather was just too Nice, usual out to blessington as far as turn for Valleymount and back via small lakes through manor kilbride and home. 50 km avg 26.5 kph. Back to work and didn't mind staying in office till 7pm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement