Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

Been off the bike for about 10 days or so due to illness + niggles that weren't going to get better by being on the bike. Legs were like lead and still a little wheezy but I forgot that once I got out the road a bit what a morning to be out, cool and bright.

Herself arrived back with some new Aldi livery for me yesterday so felt obliged to test that with a short spin out to Donore, Duleek and back in to town. As I said still not 100% full health but that really has set me up for the rest of the day mood wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭secman

Herself arrived back with some new Aldi livery for me yesterday .

It's only Aldi gear so it can't be too big whatever she's looking for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

62Km out and around NCD on a few new roads ( I got lost again)

https://www.strava.com/activities/1207015128

Nice morning for it, bit windy in places

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fader123

Just back from a brilliant spin up the Malahide Road and back around the coast via Howth to Fairview. Got caught in the very cold rain shortly after setting out but it was one of those days where the weather just doesn't matter. I love cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

26km last night & 30km today. Both spins felt like id concrete blocks attached to the pedals and this morning was especially bad just couldn't get power out my legs and felt like changing gears wasn't doing anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,702 ✭✭✭✭dahat

1 hour Spin today, nothing fancy but I reckon the good bike is away after tomorrow club spin, some short showers left the roads greasy and bike filthy.
    I wore my Galibier leggings today, Mistral ones, not massively impressed but they will do, I had thought the rain would head off them but it didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Annual daa charity cycle today. 2 options, 60km or 100km. Cracking day for it. About 100 participants. Totalled 108km for the day. Home and happy. Now to ahem, rehydrate!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

45km, a coffee and some scrambled egg in Naul, first time on the bike in a few months as I have been sick, great to be back out and a lovely day for it, beginning the slow build up for next season!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

Commuting for the last few months 12.5k each way, Tallaght to city centre. Decided to try venture towards the hills today and see what all the fuss is about. Had planned to head down by Glensamole reservoir and continue up past the foot golf place and the old Dublin mountain golf club before spinning back down the n81. Not too far past foot golf and struggling to maintain 6kph I realised I'd taken on way too much so turned back. Took on the little back road up to Boherbabreena and back down by the graveyard and decided I'd chance the 'gunny hill' up towards hellfire club. Just managed to make it the top before grinding to a stop and thouroughly enjoyed the spin back downhill towards rathfarnham and then headed for home. Just over 26k covered and and hour and a quarter in the saddle, averaging 21kph. Enjoyed it but will have to keep practising the shorter climbs before I try take on such a long one again. Currently on a borrowed Cannondale CAAD8, think the frame is a little too small for me. Will probably invest in a bike to work job in the new year, that'll be for another thread! Finding cycling addictive having had to curtail running and football due to possible arthritis issue with my foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,982 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

rushfan wrote: »
    Annual daa charity cycle today. 2 options, 60km or 100km. Cracking day for it. About 100 participants. Totalled 108km for the day. Home and happy. Now to ahem, rehydrate!!!
    Did it myself. Pace was heavy going at times. My stomach was caving it when we got to Tayto Park as I had 90k done at that stage and didn't bring any food. There was supposed to be a bananna stop in Batterstown but I didn't see it.

(Good few Boardsies on it but no Boards gear. Did the section back from Tayto Park with secman of this parish).

• Advertisement

(Good few Boardsies on it but no Boards gear. Did the section back from Tayto Park with secman of this parish).

Did it myself. Pace was heavy going at times. My stomach was caving it when we got to Tayto Park as I had 90k done at that stage and didn't bring any food. There was supposed to be a bananna stop in Batterstown but I didn't see it.

It was at Caffreys pub. Same venue as last year.

It was at Caffreys pub. Same venue as last year.
    That's what I thought but I didn't see anyone stopping as the peloton roared through. (Didn't do it last year).

That's what I thought but I didn't see anyone stopping as the peloton roared through. (Didn't do it last year).

Ah you must've been in the leading bunch, unlike myself. Great day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Had a very enjoyable 70k down to Punchestown. Mate cancelled so set 6 goals up on Strava and had some fun. They were climbs of 2-4k. Beat the first few but legs were gonezo on the last. Ill be doing it again, making the goals harder. Crackin morning yesterday, perfect for spotting wild zebras...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1208487695

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

" No, no, I don't mind so long as you get back home before 2 because I have a to be on the road by then"..... And with that gentle bit of encouragement / thinly veiled threat ringing in my ears, off out the door I went.
    It was our club sportive today and anyone who has done the Tour of South Meath before knows it's hell for leather. Change of course this year meant it was the Four Counties tour. Seeing as I was under orders I joined the 30kmh + group and away we went. First 50k to the food stop went by at nearly 35kmh average. We didn't hang around there too long and off we went again at the same pace.

I was flying and tore up the few hills on the course and then after coming down Newtown Hill and turning for the home straight, out of nowhere I got a bastard cramp. Of course I did. Concerned too much with getting home quickly, I had done 90km on half a bidon. Genius.
    That took a good 5 minutes to get right and then I had the joy of the last 15km solo into a headwind. That wrecked me so much so that the 28kmh group overtook me about 500m from the finish.
    Crossed the finish line, had a glass of juice and had to head for the house. So bollxd I ended up having to swallow a gel to get me home.
    Arrived home with about 10 minutes to spare
    "Oh you're home, God you look wrecked. There was no need to be killing yourself"
    Love, sweet love.

Longwood, Kinnegad, Tyrrelspass, Croghan, Rhode, Edenderry, Kilshanroe, Newtown Hill, Enfield, Mother Hubbards, Longwood.
    115km @ 32kmh
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1210279024

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

First spin of the 2018 season for me today! Took September off between holidays and a bout of shingles so delighted to get back out in the air. I was down in Wexford for the weekend at a wedding so cycled home along the coast, 95kms and I'm feeling pretty shagged out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

52 km, just to visit the parents and took a long way back via Clonee, Kilbride St. Margaret's and back of the airport.

Mixed day either initial the wind or being carried but the headwinds were partially draining

• Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭secman

Ah you must've been in the leading bunch, unlike myself. Great day for it.

It was indeed a lovely day, especially after a nippy morning. Managed to hang on to the lead bunch to Tayto park , it was a hectic pace . Did the last 30 km with Wishbone Ash and we were all the time waiting for the train to roar by, 5 lads caught us with about 20 ish km to go, 4 of them went through and a young lad from Arklow stayed with us. We managed to keep a good pace thanks to WA especially over the last 10k. Avg was 30.2 kph for the 100.Having cycled 20 km over to the start , WA then proceeded to map out a 30 km home to round off a 150 km for the day, some man Donal and a pleasure to have met you yesterday .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My cycle today can be summed up in two words: Wet. Windy.

It was dry in south Dublin when I left but windy. Once I got up past Brittas it became wet. shítty, drizzly stuff that felt worse due to the headwind.

Wet again on the way back (after tea and a sambo in Blessington) but by the time I got to Brittas the rain stopped. Dry as a bone in Tallaght with a serious tailwind.

I cleaned the bike yesterday but I'm back to square one today. Running to standstill and all that. :(

secman wrote:
    It was indeed a lovely day, especially after a nippy morning. Managed to hang on to the lead bunch to Tayto park , it was a hectic pace . Did the last 30 km with Wishbone Ash and we were all the time waiting for the train to roar by, 5 lads caught us with about 20 ish km to go, 4 of them went through and a young lad from Arklow stayed with us. We managed to keep a good pace thanks to WA especially over the last 10k. Avg was 30.2 kph for the 100.Having cycled 20 km over to the start , WA then proceeded to map out a 30 km home to round off a 150 km for the day, some man Donal and a pleasure to have met you yesterday .

If only I'd known that I was in the presence of several Boardsies yesterday. Still, there's always next year..................

• Advertisement

Dry here all day and light breeze if that, headed out in the later after noon with herself for about 30km or so.

Had this weird 1.5-2 km stretch on the way back in with strong gusts!!!! lucky we were on a hard shoulder and it was blowing right to left as herself is tiny and was having a hard time with them even with me on the outside offering limited blocking. Just thought it was bizarre altogether as that part was fine on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Well that was a refreshing start to the day...

Came in over Tibradden this morning, and once I picked up a bit of speed coming down the Pine Forest road there was "a certain amount of lateral movement" when it got gusty.

Thrilling and terrifying by turns.

Definitely arrived in awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Much like Skrynesaver... pleasant run up to Glencree (from the Tassie, via Enniskerry and Crone Wood), with a bit of a fast burst for the last 3 or 4 km to the T junction. Cup of tea and lung replacement therapy at the coffee shop, then over the featherbeds in a rising wind. A bit exciting coming down to the viewing point, with strong side-gusts. Glad not to be on on deep-profile wheels. Finally a punishingly fast run down Pine Forest, Johnny Fox's and so to the Tassie.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Slogged my way from Ratoath towards navan. Took a few backroads over to trim. Mostly not wind assisted but the 15k or back towards Dunshaughlin from trim was my reward. Lovely tailwind and the odd additional tow from big trucks zooming past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Not today, and not me, but does my brother's 6:00:36 for 180k in the IronMan Barcelona on Saturday count? He finished in 11h54m, I was there to see it, and I couldn't be more proud of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I've been commuting from Malahide to a few KM beyond the Grand Canal for a few weeks now. Probably doing it 3 days a week, 5 would be too many for me. I find the first 5-6km out of Malahide to be really tough, just gradually uphill for most of it. Beyond that it's plain sailing enough. On the way home have a couple of sharp hills to deal with too but it's easier overall.

I've tried car and public transport as well as cycling, and even though it's about 20km in total the bike is the quickest way to do it, which is mad really. No near misses so far thankfully but a bit nervous of doing it in the dark. I wear a high-viz and have lights on the front and back but might just get more anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've been commuting from Malahide to a few KM beyond the Grand Canal for a few weeks now. Probably doing it 3 days a week, 5 would be too many for me. I find the first 5-6km out of Malahide to be really tough, just gradually uphill for most of it. Beyond that it's plain sailing enough. On the way home have a couple of sharp hills to deal with too but it's easier overall.

I've tried car and public transport as well as cycling, and even though it's about 20km in total the bike is the quickest way to do it, which is mad really. No near misses so far thankfully but a bit nervous of doing it in the dark. I wear a high-viz and have lights on the front and back but might just get more anyway.

What route are you taking? I'm coming down from Portmarnock into Fairview, so not quite as far as you! But I go down the coast Portmarnock->Baldoyle->Coast cycle track.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

What route are you taking? I'm coming down from Portmarnock into Fairview, so not quite as far as you! But I go down the coast Portmarnock->Baldoyle->Coast cycle track.

I go up the Malahide Rd. to Fairview and into town that way. I looked at the coastal way but it adds 7 or 8kms onto the journey. Maybe in the summer I'll give it a go but not at the moment.

secman wrote: »
    It was a pleasure to ride with you secman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Not sure if it'll be seen but apologies to the cyclist who got a fright outside of killester supervalu on the Howth road this morning, I was the passenger in the taxi that blasted his horn and got right up your ar$e. He was a prick further on the road too.

Will report him to mytaxi although I'm not sure how much good it will do!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement