Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Agree with all of the above, today was manky. After taking the tough route up top last week via Cunard, I decided for the long easy route via Enniskerry. Grand till I got up near lough Bray and absolutely poxy afterwards. Had thought about spinning down and doing some more hills, maybe Ticknock, Cruagh, Stocking lane but my buddy convinced me that the other side of the Gap would be lovely and he wanted cake and coffee so we descended to Laragh. My glasses fogged over and he's short sighted enough too so like a pair of bats we flapped and flitted down as the rain got heavier instead of lighter.
    Spent too long in the Hippy Café and cooled down so the legs were in desperate shape into the headwind/crosswind/anything but a Tailwind and more showers over to Roundwood and the long draggy spin out to the N11. N11 was probably worse, Cornells court wrecked me and then somewhere around Sandyford as the rain absolutely lashed down my legs came back to life and I bizarrely enjoyed the final few km back to the start.
    115km, 1200m climbed, 25kmh
    https://www.strava.com/activities/923168906

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

In fairness, the weather was poxy today, as was the wind. I opted for shorts this morning with no legs warmers, which worked out OK but our Training Crew wanted everyone to wear their Jerseys and I decided against that, just threw Our Gilet over the Galibier Mistral, with a light Spandex'y Lidl Base layer.

Blessed that I did!

There was some freezing rain to be had on our spin, I was grand though. It was the Laurels Charity Spin and it went from Dublin to Carlow, Via Bunclody, where you did a U turn and had to look forward to doing all those Hills and Drags in reverse. Total See you next Tuesday stuff :(

We stopped at a garage leaving Bunclody, and when I had finished doing my stuff they'd all left!

This was with about 103km on the clock with 25 odd to go. There was no friggin way I was trying to get back on, so me and another fella who also got left behind plodded on.
    More bleedin' rain and a poxy head wind. I lost the other chap when he fell away going up a bit of a ramp. So I went solo and kind of enjoyed it. Me verus hills/ramps/drags and poxy weather! The weather and hills won for the foremost tbh :) But I soldiered on thinking Mike Hall(R.I.P.) would have been proud of me!

I stopped at the last stop for my thang and the fella I lost turned up with two others. So me and and one other leds them out back to Carlow.

I think it was about 127km on the clock with about 930m of climbing. I was a bit bollixed tbh.Tomorrow we are meant to cycle back, 70 something odd KM.

But me having a bit of a pain in my bollix with rooms decided to head on home. Carlow to Castledermot, Baltinglass, Blesso and then Tallaght. It was tough and I had to stop a few times just to make sure the right knee was "OK" I messed with my cleats sometime back and my right leg, which was the "best leg ever" for a few years, is now playing up. When I fixed my left leg, Genius boy here tweaked his right cleat and messed it up. This was months ago.

Anyways, 215km done for the day with 1305m climbed. I'm really not able for this sh1t. Putting the "hammer down" as best I could from Blesso to Tallaght to burn off Gels probably didn't do a lot for my health. I'll probably die in my sleep, that said I'd better drink all the beer that's in my fridge, pronto!

https://www.strava.com/activities/923755774

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Did nobody get on the bike this morning? I did 93k on a club spin with a small group (3 of us), both of whom were fitter and faster than me so it gave me a great push. We climbed the same hill that I climbed last week, but the headwind nearly did me in and I had to stop twice. Despite that humiliation, I still did another 50+k afterwards and am delighted with my farthest distance since last September. Two 100k sportives coming up in the next three weeks, and it's all leading to the Wicklow 200, about which I am positively sh*tting myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Only 35kms for me today, I joined up with the Liffey Cycleway cycle and left off at the point, had planned to hit Howth but at Fairview I decided to turn back into town and head to Poolbeg Pier for a coffee from Mr.Hobbs. Hadn't got the head or the legs for a spin today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Maybe everyone is still out enjoying the Sun ..and yet to report back.

Or still in shock after a EPIC Flanders race.:eek:

I did a quick 31KM Pre "Flanders" spin out to Howth from the City Centre, but no climbing the hill for me today , too early in the season as I have yet to burn off the winter FAT :( , thanks to being back working sitting on my ass all day.

But lots out on the coast road enjoying the Sun ..my 1st day going for the shorts only:D always feels quicker.

Even got a quick try of some of the new cycle path, looking forward to when it is fully finished and clean , has lots of small stones at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Was 50km into a spin when I realised a back spoke was broken. Can honestly say I've never had to deal with as many dickhead drivers. So much for the new overtaking laws!!

Felt OK but was gobsmacked that I was so lethargic going up Coppanagh when feeling so fresh. Only discovered the buckled wheel when I stopped in Thomastown to meet the wife for cake and coffee. Tried my hardest to justify procuring a new set of wheels, but alas, no cigar!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Club spin today and left in shorts which I regretted for the first 45mins but was grand after that, beautiful day in the South East for cycling.
    A fairly straightforward spin with no major clbing just a couple of decent drags till I turned off with another lad to get back to Clonmel via Fethard just outside Mullinahone, lumpy road and with two of us it was enough work at times.

I'm fooked here now which is odd tbh as I felt better after races!!!
    101km at 30.7km avg and 645km of up....

• Registered Users Posts: 22 floodser

Bit of a random one today.Went out with no plan and just followed the road.
    Bohernabreena - Brittas - Tallaght - Viewing Point and Fox's. 57K and 1K up.

https://www.strava.com/activities/924864345

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Gerry

Great spin today, only 2 of us turned up for the club spin and we both need some climbing so headed for wicklow. Maynooth - Newcastle - saggart - seskin hill - brittas- Manor Kilbride - sally gap and then home by Tallaght. 1050m climbing which Is the most by far since getting back on the bike. Nearly died and the fitness has a long way to go, still chuffed.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/924843411

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Took my first spin of the year up the phoenix park this morning. I commute to work.
    On the way back down the back road to home and I got a puncture to a gatorskin on one of the numerous ramp.

Had spare tube, had mini pump. Great I thought. A nice morning to change a tube.
    Just my luck and the valve came out of the tube . Not the first time it happened with continental long valves.
    Added to that the tube wouldnt blow up when fitted. I eneded up with a 20 minute walk home after an hour cycle:D

New tube and tyre fitted. More tubes and tyres orderd along with a mini floor pump.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Such a lovely day here so I decided to go out for a spin. Still a bit of a newbie but ended up doing just over 11 miles. I bought a cheap saddle cover in Decathlon which I think helped with comfort. Decided to turn back as I was a bit far from home with no way to fix a puncture if I got one and not really sure how to either (must get that sorted).

One thing though is that I wished I had some more comfortable clothing to wear while on the bike. I had a Lidl cycling top, hi-viz waterproof jacket and jeans but on the way back the jeans felt a bit uncomfortable. Nothing major though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Out for what was mostly a very mellow spin with a regular crew. About 100k in just past the Sally gap a certain evil boardsie who shall remain nameless shouted 'Kippure?' on the way past. I thought nah, and cycled on but on reaching the gate my inner gob****e took over and I found myself plodding towards the mast. Well sweet holy jebus I need to lose about a stone. Got to the top without stopping but saw 6.2k on the Garmin by the last turn. Descent wasn't much faster but at least that's my annual Kippure climb sorted. Great day out and we'll earned beer being consumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Doc07

My best spin of the year so far despite suffering a good bit and getting dropped from the faster groups. Cruagh, stocking lane, then joined club spin for Balinascorney, Sally Gap, Laragh, Sally gap , featherbeds, home.
    124km, 2200m.
    Back in time for lunch so was allowed watch some Flanders before limping down to the park with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

davef1000 wrote: »
    Did nobody get on the bike this morning?
    DominoDub wrote: »
    Maybe everyone is still out enjoying the Sun ..and yet to report back.

Well there were a fair few hundred cyclists on the SERC 3 Peaks sportif. Didn't spot any Boards gear but there were a few Madison bidons in use so I suspect there were a few Boardsies out. Great route, organisation and of course, weather. The 3rd peak is a nasty drag just before the 100k mark that seems to go on for ever. Back in Arklow, everyone seemed to be giving out about it but we all made it to the top and on to the finish. A great day to be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. The 3rd peak is a nasty drag just before the 100k mark that seems to go on for ever. Back in Arklow, everyone seemed to be giving out about it...
    I thought it was fine and much shorter than it seemed during the Mick Byrne last year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what is the third peak?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

what is the third peak?
    Don't know what it's called and not really a peak as such but more of a non-descript long drag on a diversion between Woodenbridge and Arklow.

This Strava segment covers some of it but the route turns right and climbs for another 2k or so after the segment ends.

https://www.strava.com/segments/11049751

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

what is the third peak?

It's now called Insomnia on Strava but used to have another name. Shortly after the Woodenbridge Hotel you turn right off the R747 onto a quiet country road that seems to climb for ever. Maybe if I wasn't so wrecked, I'd have handled it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

First time in a long time that I managed to get out two days in a row. I knew I'd be tight enough for time so did an hour on my own before joining the club spin and then left them at the coffee stop and came back home a quicker route. The first hour was chilly, glad I wore the gloves. Worked out at bang on the 100 km with 45 of that solo. Quite happy with myself to have back to back 100s for the first time and felt fairly fresh all things considered. Even managed a couple of PRs in the last couple of km.
    100km with 347m @29.6kmh
    https://www.strava.com/activities/924517309

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I cant see myself ever getting to the 100+ routes... 25 today was just fine!

Wore a bib for the first time today which was got from a BA some time back. Found it really comfortable.

• Advertisement

I cant see myself ever getting to the 100+ routes... 25 today was just fine!

Wouldn't be too worried about distance, but what you'll probably find if you're doing regular 25k spins now, during nice days in the summer (or even like yesterday) you'll naturally just end out wanting to stay out longer and the distance and time in the saddle creeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

Lovely relaxed 75kms/1200mts in the sunshine around the Garden of Ireland yesterday ........ made up for the miserable 50kms in the rain on Saturday afternoon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭secman

Late posting here.
    Sat.. North West winds so headed to Kilmuckridge and around coast road to Ballygarrett,courtown, Ballymoney, Castletown and out on to old n11 . Inch to gorey , ballycanew, out to ballyedmund and left turn for home. Caught in one heavy squall near courtown. Wind worked fine for homeward journey after Castletown. 67.5 km Avg 25. kph

Sun. Southerly winds... headed to ballyedmund and left for castlebridge on Gorey to Wexford town road. Just before wexford, left turn for coast road to curracloe, Blackwater, kilmuckridge and home. 54 km Avg 25.3 kph. Beautiful day for a spin. Only dud 54 as we had visitors down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Finally back on the bike for a tentative first spin after over three months nursing a back injury. I had tried back in February but even doing 8km was an absolute struggle and put my recovery back a few weeks. Not setting the world alight with this at all, but it's a start!

https://www.strava.com/activities/924342708

Even got pictured at our coffee stop (2km from home), which showed up on the Greystones Guide Facebook page - I'd link but we've no access to FB here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Third time out on bike, just over 22 km but it's definitly getting easier, and average speed is creeping up, I think. Did a circular loop from Drogheda-Julianstown-Mornington-Drogheda along the back roads - roads are so narrow I was holding up traffic - while cars were super nice to me, I am not really used to holding traffic like that and I worry that some day someone in a hurry will get tired of waiting and making a bad move causing accidents.

On the plus side, long bike rides (40+ km last Sunday especially) is helping me score new PB at Parkrun. There's this guy I've been racing against at the Parkrun for last three months (he always wins) and I won so far ahead of him this weekend he rolls up and asks if I've been hitting the gym lately. :D Also another bonus point is - getting back on the motorbike is now sooo much more fun - the seat feels so soft (it used to hurt before I started biking) and I am all over in love with the effortless acceleration and speed of the motorbike. Previously I was very desensitised to 120-140 kmph speeds as that was the norm, but now that I am getting used to working hard for keeping up 20-22 kmph, getting on the motorbike is like a first time everytime! Love biking!!

PS: Also, picked up a dog closer to home.. A young happy black lab. He started chasing me from the top of the estate, ran straight into the back garden and into the house and started playing with my kids. He had no intention of going back home and had no sense of where his home is. Walked around the estate with him on a leash multiple times, knocking at doors, saying hello to many dog owners a long the way (met more people of this estate in one day, than in last 10 years!) and eventually the owner of the dog spotted me standing around, he was driving around looking for the dog - he was releived to say the least. Again, one more reason to love biking!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but on my spin out and around the Blessington lakes yesterday morning, I always duck off the N81 just after Brittas and cycle the back road that brings you across to Manor Kilbride. Just before the T junction on the Dublin side of Manor Kilbride there is a farm on the left (a large sign with the name, facing the road).

There were two sheepdogs up in the field barking, but as I cycled past the entrance, a third dog was lying prone by the side of the road and made a dash for me. I roared at him and peddled hard, but was expecting to feel teeth sink into my ankle at any second. A nasty experience and very relieved that no damage was done. I use this route quite often and it's the first time I've had this problem here, so a heads up to anyone that passes this way.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    There were two sheepdogs up in the field barking, but as I cycled past the entrance, a third dog was lying prone by the side of the road and made a dash for me. I roared at him and peddled hard, but was expecting to feel teeth sink into my ankle at any second. A nasty experience and very relieved that no damage was done. I use this route quite often and it's the first time I've had this problem here, so a heads up to anyone that passes this way.

I've had a few encounters with that dog ok. I usually slow down and hurl abuse at it rather than speeding up, as dogs love the chase and see someone speeding up as encouragement. I've also hurled abuse at the owner on one occasion. If it happens to you again, maybe report it to the dog warden, though to be honest I doubt you'd get a bite if you slow down and hold your ground.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bring some jerky! (Joking) Anyway, had a Wedding in Blessington to attend a wedding but bringing my bike was frowned upon so I only had a chance to do a Turbo FTP test the past few days. I both hated and enjoyed it and could certainly have done better I'd say. I'll redo it in a fortnight and try one outdoors too.

Anyone cycling on Saturday between 12-2 in the sporadic but completely nuts showers deserves some praise for sticking it out. We passed some people on the N81 and it looks grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭secman

smacl wrote: »
    I've had a few encounters with that dog ok. I usually slow down and hurl abuse at it rather than speeding up, as dogs love the chase and see someone speeding up as encouragement. I've also hurled abuse at the owner on one occasion. If it happens to you again, maybe report it to the dog warden, though to be honest I doubt you'd get a bite if you slow down and hold your ground.

Met them myself but not recently, went by there last Thursday evening and was on the lookout for them :) . Was heading for Brittas, but they are not fussy which direction you are going/ coming :).
    Even 25 years ago there were 2 collies on that same stretch who liked to chase bikes.... must be inbred in them now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/926265981

73Km out to Howth and back. Last track I heard from the stereo as I was getting dressed was "Ride the Wind" and how apt that was...
    Was pleasantly surprised with my 28Kmh average

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement