Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

My spin to day was dedicated to Blacks of Kinsale or rather their lovely High Viz Double IPA

It's 8.5% but doesn't have that "strong" taste you'd associate with such "Strong" beer. It's quite lovely, expensive, but lovely!

Three is more than enough though! Quarter of a bottle and I'd say you are well over the DD limit!

So...

With mini-hangover this morning I headed of to Clondalkin to meet a few folk for a spin. When heading west and the wind tearing the face off me, there was a little piece of me hoping I would be late and that I'd miss the spin! It was a fairly savage and super gusty soul destrying wind!

Sadly I made the meeting point on time! :D

So four of us headed off, me and another fella taking the front. The start of the spin involved going west, a lot. Clondalkin over to Saggart, where we went up the wind tunnel known as Slade hill.
    The first quarter of it was brutal with the wind, until the trees provided "some" respite. The on the N81 towards Blessington and cutting off towards Manor Kilbride, with full wind in face shenanigans. My poor thighs were burning at this early stage! When we got to Blessington the decision was made to cut the ride short and not do Naas/Sallins etc and we headed towards Nass but took the right towards Kilteel and some point. We were blessed with a tailwind for awhile :)

When we eventually got to Saggart again, I split from the other three as they were heading back to Clondalkin, and for some unknown reason I decided that going up slade again and going up Ballinascorney would be a good way home.

Sadly since Oct last year until now, my cycling has taken a bit of a hit. I'm still on the bike but not as much as I'd like, and did I feel if for the rest of the spin today.

Well holy God going up the first quarter of Slade hill again was pure torture. You know it's not good when you keep trying to see if you have a lower gear, even though you don't :D

When I got to the top I could have went left and been blown home back to Tallaght, but Genius Mc Sap here decided to head towards Brittas and up Ballinascorney.

I survived, and then on the descent decided to take a right around the Tallaght reservoirs and to go home via the Bohernabreena descent.

When I took that turn I meet a nice chap on an Obrea? Bike. He looked like a proper pro cyclist! Tall lanky fella with Castelli gear!
    After a brief exchange he headed off while I contemplated if I would be able to make it back up the climbs out of the reservoirs. I wasn't feeling too hopeful. I was making up news reports in my head of "Cyclist found dead in Ditch" etc

I slogged on and came across yer man again, lost :) He'd doubled back on himself taking a certain extra bit, you'd have to know it.

His name was James, I found out, and he was looking for a way up to the Featherbeds!

We had a good natter as I explain I had 65km odd on the legs, mostly into head winds, 800m climbed and was highly unfit, so basically dieing but if he gave me a few kms I'd give him his options to getting up to the Featherbeds. He chose the Cunard climb, bless him!

In fairness, I'd say he was well able for it.

When I managed to drag my sorry ass out of the Reservoirs my wonderfully fast descent down Bohernabreena hill was canceled when I had to tuck in behind a funeral :/ I think it took me 20 odd minutes to get down. It was actually quite a pain in the ass try to descend such a steep hill so slowly! At one stage I just pulled over to the side of the road and had a smoke.

I eventually made it home with 77km done and 935m climbed. The "last year" me would have serious OCD issues and round up the climbing to 1,000m and the KMs to 100, but not today.

I was pooped when I got home. It was seriously testing weather out there today!

I'm now going to have some lovely strong beer.

Couple of pics in my Strava link.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/903587581

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭secman

Headed out this morning, up the embankment heading for blessington, seriously headwindy. Met a chap on the way up, well he passed me and I tucked in behind him.He took left turn at Brittas for Manor Kilbride, I headed on straight and decided to take next left turn at top of drag and saw him again, about 100 metres ahead.Managed to catch him on the drag beyond the bridge over Liffey. Had a good oul natter with him up to turn for blessington, he headed back on main road. I was undecided about doing lake spin, went as far as turn for Lacken, could hardly see the lakes for the mist and low cloud . Swiftly turned and took back road to Manor Kilbride and back to Brittas. Descent down embankment was a bit hairy at times with a few strong cross winds. Just over 50 km and an Avg 25 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

51 km spin from wicklow to arklow and back. Really strong head wind but the group I was with took the brunt of it in fairness to them. Cool dudes letting a newbie like me sit in at the back. Learning alot from them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

still a bit damp and breezy out there. mild though, it was a sweaty one today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Went for a nice 60km spin yesterday and lost my front wheel turning into my estate, jaysus you take a hell of a clatter when that happens, nothing broken, bike fine, but really hurt my shoulder and big bruising on the hip. First time my front wheel ever went out from underneath me, wasn't going particularly fast, I'd guess 25kph, just saw it go and the horrible vision of my bike disappearing out from underneath me ahead of clattering into the tarmac, thought I'd broken my oakleys but fortunately they had just popped out and were easily fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Glad to hear its all just bumps and bruises (and most importantly the bike is ok ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Inquitus wrote: »
    Went for a nice 60km spin yesterday and lost my front wheel turning into my estate, jaysus you take a hell of a clatter when that happens, nothing broken, bike fine, but really hurt my shoulder and big bruising on the hip. First time my front wheel ever went out from underneath me, wasn't going particularly fast, I'd guess 25kph, just saw it go and the horrible vision of my bike disappearing out from underneath me ahead of clattering into the tarmac, thought I'd broken my oakleys but fortunately they had just popped out and were easily fixed.
    . You now really do a need a new bike. To be sure to be sure. Speedy recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

30min recovery turbo spin after the race yesterday and no club spin tomorrow as my daughter has a swimming Gala soy plan is bring bike and cycle home, 40km or so and tag a bit on locally to make a 2hr+ spin.

Everyone is happy!!!!🚴🚴🚴

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

85 km avg 26.8 , this morning through Louth and Meath in really nasty conditions, worst I'm been out in in some time the good thing about it was I only got wet once ;) at the beginning and the whole way round !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Today was one of those days that everything just goes in your favour.

I did Athlone - Dublin about 133km in 4hrs 5 mins with an average speed of 32.7km/h. Clearly the wind was in my favour. I also got involved with CRC for about 20km. They were really tipping along.

Then came across two leisure groups who had stopped in Mother Hubbards. Got a shout out and asked for my boards name. It was windy so hope they heard me.

Even though I havent do much in the last two weeks I felt really good on the bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Wet then dry which was nice

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

No racing or Club spin today as had family duties on Tipp Town so brought the bike and cycled home to get a few KMS in.

Did 44km with an average of 36.7km as had a tailwind/crosswinds all way home, tipping away at 40km plus feels great wind or not.

Had a dig at a KOM near home and missed it by 10 seconds, nice effort for 1.6km up a drag all the same.

Roll on Dungarvan next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

godtabh wrote: »
    I also got involved with CRC for about 20km. They were really tipping along.

Couldn't get out with them this morning, pity I missed you.
    Probably a good job I didn't get out with them anyway. Today was torture for me. I had a virus during the week and missed a day at work but felt better yesterday so decided I seeing as I wouldn't make the club spin then I was hitting the hills today. I'm planning on doing the Orwell Randonee and maybe the Mick Byrne so some hills are well needed. Between one thing and another I got delayed and then just said to hell with it and went for a spin locally.

Set off dry but the drizzle soon started as did a rotten headwind. I was half bolloxed after only 30 km. Thank Christ I didn't go up the hills or I'd be ringing for the broom wagon from Glenmacnass. By the time I stopped for coffee I was nearly cramping in my right quad and in dire need of caffeine and sugar. Orwell and MB were beginning to look like drunken promises. I did a fair bit of soul searching tbh. "WTF am I actually at? I'm gone 40, must be some fking midlife crisis. Cocaine and hookers are probably a more sensible option than this fking torture."
    The usual stuff....

Turned around and had the wind behind me and some sunshine too but it took me a good 10-15km to get the lactic out of the legs and then I got a puncture. Surprisingly, I got it fixed easy enough and the extra bit of a break seemed to let the coffee and jellybabies kick in so the final 20k or so didn't seem too bad.

Longwood -Kinnegad -Killucan -Ballinalack and back via Mullingar -Mary Lynches -Kinnegad
    93km @29kmh
    https://www.strava.com/activities/906547026

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Daroxtar wrote: »

I'm a decade behind you and can only dream of having a 29 km/h average on a bad day (or even a good day) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

2nd time out after knee op, much much WORSE than 1st time out...don't really understand why, but the last few km of this was horrible,  slowest I've ridden since I got this bike 5 years ago.  Started with 100m of ascent, possibly that was my mistake.  Anyway ended up with 24kms, 22kph average, 350 metres ascent.  It gets better, right?  Strava of shame

colm18 wrote: »
    I'm a decade behind you and can only dream of having a 29 km/h average on a bad day (or even a good day) :o

Worse still, I'm a bit more than a decade ahead of Daroxtar in age and almost a decade behind in kph. Not good. Probably even leaving it a bit late for the coke and hookers....

Whatever you care to say about the Irish weather, we certainly have lots of it. Coming up Pine forest road at lunch I hit a heavy hail shower while still in the blazing sunshine, followed by some black clouds, rain and then wind get blown dry followed by more sun. 25k @ 21kph for what felt like cycling through an extended car-wash. Bikes looking nicely buffed up :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so much of lows of 0 to -4C overnight. 7C this morning at 6:30am, quite a pleasant morning out there.

bit of drama on griffith avenue on the way home. coming westbound, about 200m from the top of philipsburgh avenue, heard some sirens, so slowed down and pulled in a little, and a northern reg car came past at full bore on the wrong side of the road, through the red light, clipped a car turning off griffith avenue onto philipsburgh avenue, spun backwards and slammed hard into a tree, straight back on the accelerator and drove off, with an unmarked garda car in pursuit. thankfully the woman in the other car just looked a bit shook, and given it was rush hour, thankfully no pedestrians or cyclists were caught up in it.

anyway, if you're on griffith avenue, watch out for glass at the junction. there's plenty of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭secman

Night spin from Kilnamanagh down to Lucan, and back up :) 2 loops of Kilnamanagh and 2 loops of Lucan village gets me 38.5 km Avg 25.2 kph. Nice evening for it, and managed to meet an old acquaintance, Jimmy Stagg, on the second loop , I noticed his bike shop was still open , nipped in for a chat. He built my old steel frame, the Raparee with the Dura ace groupset back in April 1992, 25 years ago next month. Was telling him it's still on the go in wexford at the weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

just back from a simple 20km over howth this afternoon in beautiful weather. hadn't been out on the road bike at all since early october and been sick recently so was really just stretching the legs and opening up the lungs a bit. what a day for it :D

you were well rested so, you probably blitzed up it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Gorgeous weather for my commute in this morning. Absolutely flew it, was tipping along at close to 40km/h for a large section of it, had a breeze to my back to help me from Baldoyle to Fairview! Looking forward to the spin home now.

In other news, I've ordered a new single speed freewheel for my daily singlespeed. Had been running 48t-16t, now should have an easier time of it with a 17t in the rear (well slightly easier at least!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Few days late with the "today" part of the spin. Did a ~40k MTB spin in Morocco last weekend. Started with 7.5km ascent at 8% and finished off with over 30k mostly downhill through little Berber villages and incredible mountain scenery. I wouldn't be the most experienced on a mountain bike and came a cropper in one of the corners - major road rash on left knee, thigh, hip and elbow. Given that most of the trail was wall on one side and drop on the other side I'm probably lucky enough not to have broken anything or to have gone over the edge.

Really enjoyable trip though - we had summited Toubkal the previous day so the legs felt very heavy on the climb but I'd definitely recommend it to anyone heading to Marrakech - easily doable via a day trip from there as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Matt.ie

First time cycling today. Bought a Giant defy 5

Only cycled for 1 hour an me ass is killing me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Welcome to the club. First bit of advice: Get a decent pair of padded shorts, and another bike. Not that there's anything wrong with the Giant, but you always need another bike.

Matt.ie wrote: »

heh, i can remember the first time i got back on the bike in about 5 years, about 3 years ago. did 13k (probably gunned it a little too much) and felt like death warmed up for half an hour.

127 matched at 1000 on the winner.

Lol. ... did about 16k today on the road. Jeese. ...my nerves. ...but twas lovely with the sun shining an wind blowing on my face.

I had a spin on my turbo trainer which is also new . This will be very handy as I am training for a charity cycle. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Matt.ie wrote: »

Bring it back to the shop (or to a shop where staff are competitive cyclists) and get them to set the saddle and handlebars at the right height and set-back for you.

Edit: when I say 'it', I mean the bike, not your ass.

• Advertisement

It was a competitive cycler who sold me the bike. He spent time adjusting the saddle and height to suit me. I am new to cycling. Haven't cycled in over 30 years or more so some pain is expected to begin with. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement