Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Here's my cycle from the other day,

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/760/andalusia-big-ride

Everything in the article re the cycling is exactly as he describes it except for the 2500mtrs of climbing, its only 2100 and the 15% section of the climb only lasts a couple of meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Awful weather this morning but still went out with 3 club mates. I actually enjoy spinning in **** weather as I seem to focus more in it.

Still getting used to the semi compact and while my cadence has dropped slightly I'm expecting it to increase again. I'm feeling really.good ahead of my first race next week. All systems go now.

80km at 28.8 AVG and a few efforts to liven it up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

No great weather this morning but better than forecast. 75k with 1k of climbing in the Wicklow hills with the Old Long Hill living up to its name. Third week going out with a group rather than solo, and enjoying the bit of company on these grey days. Short enough routes but tbh, the last couple of weekends I would have struggled to find the motivation for a solo spin so all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

One word for it today....cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭secman

Solo spin from house to ballyedmund, boolavogue and on to The Harrow. Rather than taking right turn over to Ferns, I went straight on which brings you to Enniscorthy, back main road to Ferns, and on to Gorey, ballycanew, killenagh and home. 70 km . Forgot to check the Avg, Garmin had me chasing and being chased by a virtual partner, hence I wasn't seeing the stats. A bit of a pain to be honest, have to check it later, it became a bit monotonous, stopped for a pit stop and hoped he would go away, but no he obviously stopped for one too :)
    Very windy down here today, squalls and a real wet arse spin. Other than that it was grand.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    Forgot to check the Avg, Garmin had me chasing and being chased by a virtual partner, hence I wasn't seeing the stats. A bit of a pain to be honest, have to check it later, it became a bit monotonous.
    Thanks to Google , found how to disable the virtual partner, don't remember enabling him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Had a van give me the usual grief... blowing horns and shouting abuse. Then had a bottle of water squirted in my face as they overtook me at speed. We'll see how smug they are when the Guards come knocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

I've put 35c slicks, mudguards, pannier rack and a bag on my Cross Bike. It now weighs a tonne.

I've been having my slowest ever commutes over the last few days and I'm really enjoying the enforced change of pace. This is going to sound very sad but I've been putting extra stuff in the bag just to see how much I can carry :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

daragh_ wrote: »
    I've put 35c slicks, mudguards, pannier rack and a bag on my Cross Bike. It now weighs a tonne.

I've been having my slowest ever commutes over the last few days and I'm really enjoying the enforced change of pace. This is going to sound very sad but I've been putting extra stuff in the bag just to see how much I can carry :-)

I've been doing something similarly sad, until last weekend, when I got my first broken spoke in years. I guess my wheels weren't designed to hit a big hole doing 50kmph down the Goatstown Road with a ton of weight right over the back wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Zen0 wrote: »
    I've been doing something similarly sad, until last weekend, when I got my first broken spoke in years. I guess my wheels weren't designed to hit a big hole doing 50kmph down the Goatstown Road with a ton of weight right over the back wheel.

Good point. Maybe I'll take out some of the extra bricks :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

A guy in a 4x4 pull up beside me on my way home today. The passenger window was down and he said "Can I ask you a question?" I thought I was about to be asked something like "why do cyclists jump red lights?" Or "do any of you cyclists pay Road tax?" etc. But no, instead he asked "what make is your rear light?" When I told him it's a Hope District light, he said "great light!", gave me a thumbs up and drove on!

Nice to know I can be seen when it's dark!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first time cycling into work in about 12 years this morning. completely uneventful.

got beeped at twice cycling (on the road) up the leopardstown road. the cycle lane there is particularly laughable, it's insanely deeply dished at the driveways (the houses are below the level of the road so the driveways slope up to it).

19.7km, from beside DCU to leopardstown. newtownpark avenue was a little longer than i'd remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Blue Fiesta actually 'nudged' me out of the way at speed this morning on North Strand (just at the top of the hill over the canal). Frightened the sh1te out of me. Was almost in the middle of the bus lane so had room to swerve left. I wouldn't mind but there was a bus in front of us so 5 seconds later he was stuck behind it when it pulled in.

Nice footage from both front and rear facing cameras which includes him driving the length of the bus lane on North Strand at 07.30. This is deffo one for Traffic Watch.

I'll include popcorn with the footage when I pass it to AGS................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

first time cycling into work in about 12 years this morning. completely uneventful.

got beeped at twice cycling (on the road) up the leopardstown road. the cycle lane there is particularly laughable, it's insanely deeply dished at the driveways (the houses are below the level of the road so the driveways slope up to it).

19.7km, from beside DCU to leopardstown. newtownpark avenue was a little longer than i'd remembered.

out on the N11 proper the cycle lane used to be like that between Whites Cross and Foxrock church but they levelled it a few years ago so its now easy to cycle on.

Might be worth sending off a mail to DLR to see if they have any plans to do the same. I have always had responses when I emailed them about various cycle issues in DLR

you could try gosullivanatDLRCOCO.IE (change the at)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jalock20

Lovely morning for the first time in about a week. Went about 200m down the road, narrowly hit a bump in the road which I usually avoid and suffered my second puncture in 3 spins. Two different wheels.

If it wasn't for the fact I have a turbo trainer for training I'd feel like throwing the bike over the ditch :( Peak frustration!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭PaulieC

It's a complete joke, both ways. I always use the road instead, have never been beeped though.

A decent alternative (if you're looking for similar climb) is to go up Mount Merrion Avenue -> N11 -> Brewery Road. The cycles lanes that way are a lot better. It's maybe 2k shorter.

PaulieC wrote: »
    It's a complete joke, both ways. I always use the road instead, have never been beeped though.

A decent alternative (if you're looking for similar climb) is to go up Mount Merrion Avenue -> N11 -> Brewery Road. The cycles lanes that way are a lot better. It's maybe 2k shorter.

or Booterstown Ave/South hill Ave/Grove Ave to come out on N11 further down.

Turning right to Brewery Road can be difficult as you have to cross a couple of lanes of traffic while going uphill. May need to use the lights.

Good luck on the new commute. let us know what route you finally decide on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

PaulieC wrote: »
    cheers - only 200m shorter according to google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Properly nice day for a spin today! On an easy week so just doodled around the Park.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Fantastic weather out there today. Took a slightly extended lunch and went up to Ticknock via Kilmashogue lane and wood. Need to stick a cross tyre back on to the rear, slicks, gravel and steep gradients are no the ideal combo. Ran into NamelessPhil on the way back and had a natter and then made in back in time to snarf the last slice of stick toffee pudding the youngest made at the weekend. Not getting any thinner, not getting any better at hills, but enjoying life for all that!

411262.JPG

• Advertisement

is the east link northbound always that bad in the evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Was there a bridge lift before you arrived?

EDIT: Probably as a result of the large protest march earlier

aha, that'd make sense so. didn't see the bridge lift.

Normally I get across it from work in 15-20 minutes driving. Today it took 45. It's frustrating sitting in traffic.

Kilnamanagh to Tallaght bypass and across to Lucan village .... that should read Down to Lucan and back Up to Tallaght... lovely night for a night spin ..first one in maybe 15 years !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭PaulieC

It depends on a number of things. Yesterday, it seems like it was caused by protests in town. Oftentimes, it's a concert in the Point. If you're not already, you should cut through Irishtown and Ringsend which brings you out at the bridge without having to deal with the traffic on Sean Moore Road and especially the stretch from the roundabout to the tool plaza.

I go the opposite way crossing about 5.30 everyday. It always seems busy going south to north the way you go.

As someone suggested taking the short cut by turning right at Ringsend Church is probably your best bet or alternatively go left at the roundabout at end of Sean Moore Road down Pigeon House Road and out through the gap in the wall beyond the toll plaza.

cheers, i was wondering about that, i did see what looked like pedestrian or bike access there. seems a lot more sane than sitting behind large flatbed trucks on a narrow road.

Another alternative to east link road is to turn into the estate on Sean Moore Rd and cycle though Irishtown park coming out near the east link. It's much more enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Another alternative to east link road is to turn into the estate on Sean Moore Rd and cycle though Irishtown park coming out near the east link. It's much more enjoyable.

It is - except for the fact that the local hobby seems to be glass-smashing, if you look at the surface of the paths through the park.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement