Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

sy wrote: »
    "3 cyclists went by me and not one of them had a pump"

:eek: How can people go on a cycle without a pump/CO2!!?

I bring two spare tubes on most spins, a CO2 cannister and a pump. I really need to drop the pump in favour of a second CO2 but the nagging demon in the back of my head keeps saying 'what if something goes wrong with the CO2?' In reality there's more chance of the pump failing but my brain is hard wired wrong. I really must start leaving the pump at home.
    I know! I went for an 80k spin up to Sally Gap last week and about 20 k in I realized I’d forgotten my pump. It was a very anxious cycle from then on I can tell you!

That sort of anxiety would almost ruin the spin for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

80km done today. Weather wasn't the best

Omega28 wrote: »
    80km done today. Weather wasn't the best

Pics from today

Pics from today

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

crosstownk wrote: »
    I bring two spare tubes on most spins, a CO2 cannister and a pump. I really need to drop the pump in favour of a second CO2 but the nagging demon in the back of my head keeps saying 'what if something goes wrong with the CO2?' In reality there's more chance of the pump failing but my brain is hard wired wrong. I really must start leaving the pump at home.

Had a pump fail on me a few weeks back and left with a hike home though only about 3k, first time ever. Never bothered with CO2, pump has been good up to now and the replacement is nicer than the old one. Two tubes and a set of self adhesive patches just in case.

• Advertisement

First proper spin since February. A hilly and windy 80k @ 28kph. Nothing you can do on a turbo trainer can replicate the wind, hills and sheer joy of being out on the bike. Overreached a small bit and legs were tiring after 60k but squeaked home with my tail between my legs and quickly demolished two pizzas. Great to be back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Slow enough 68k over the Sally gap and down to Blessington over Ballysmutten and Ballynultagh gap and home via Ballinascorney for 1.2k of up. Strong enough headwinds on the Military road but a glorious day to be out on the bike. Lots of big groups out today and plenty more ones and twos. Plague aside, 2020 could well end up being year of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

No hills near me in lockdown, so only getting some proper climbs in now, and can feel the difference, having not done anything over 200m in a trip until very recently.

Went up Cruagh Rd to Sally Gap cross and then back to the viewing point and across to Glencullen, down to Stepaside, Sandyford, Newtownpark Ave and back to town on Merrion Rd for 70km @ 23.5 av with 1005m ascent. Harsh headwinds up to the gap, but lovely tailwind all the way back.

PS: If you lost a (Italian Brand) under-helmet beanie/skullcap near the Sally Gap cross, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭patrickc

I did my first 100km since 2018, the first time since I've had a back injury I've been able to and it felt good. I went from Carlow to Naas and back 101km averaging 27km/h. It's good to get that under the legs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Spin with dad for fathers day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3647834733

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

Planned a quick potter in the woods, then went to add a bit and it all went wrong.

An extra 15km cycling through waist high reeds (which is bloody hard) in the local marsh getting so close to a road and then having to turn back, and repeat.

My legs are torn to shreds from brambles but I can't feel them because of the nettle stings. Which is nice.

40km, 650m climbing in about 3 hours but I'm really struggling from the resistance through the swamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

72km wet and windy for a couple of hours but sun came out and it was very pleasant after that

517301.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭secman

Same spin yesterday and today. Went from house to Gorey to hook up and back out by Ballycanew, ballyedmund and across to Oulart and then Enniscorthy, Ferns, Camolin, Gorey and home. 93 km in total. Main spin avg 30.5 kph yesterday and 29.5 kph today. Last 15 km of that is used as a cool down spin home from Gorey avg 27.5 kph. Dry yesterday but caught a few heavy downpours today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

"Enjoyed" that wind and passing squalls today. Quick 40k coffee run to Ardgillan (keeping with the 20km limit). That hill from the coast up to Ardgillan entrance, is it growing?! On the plus side, between the rain the sun shined thru bright and warm.

Z6qa5TT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭nilhg

It seems to be the time for a lap of your home county, so a few of us gave it a spin today, a couple of the lads had to head home early for various reasons, but two of us finished it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3649383443

I don't normally go up into the NE part of the county so nice to get up there and also take in some of the Royal Canal greenway, though I was surprised how rough some of the bit between Maynooth and Leixlip was.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

sy wrote: »
    "3 cyclists went by me and not one of them had a pump"

:eek: How can people go on a cycle without a pump/CO2!!?

I'm a newish cyclist and I only got a pump after I got caught out the first time (luckily only 20km from home :o ). It's only a small hand held one that clips onto the bike, I tried to use it at home and it worked on one tyre but not the other (gave up and resorted to using the bigger pump)...is there another adapter or something that you need for some tyres? I'm not sure it would be much good if I was stuck now.

I'm going to add tubes and a puncture repair kit to my Amazon cart after reading through this thread :pac:

I havent had a flat tyre since...i think I'd actually have to google how to change a tyre if (when?!) I do get caught out!

nilhg wrote: »
    It seems to be the time for a lap of your home county, so a few of us gave it a spin today, a couple of the lads had to head home early for various reasons, but two of us finished it.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3649383443

I don't normally go up into the NE part of the county so nice to get up there and also take in some of the Royal Canal greenway, though I was surprised how rough some of the bit between Maynooth and Leixlip was.

That's a big spin. Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

Quick 20km this evening. Was dry leaving the house but was wetter than the bottom of the ocean by the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

ciara1052 wrote: »
    I'm a newish cyclist and I only got a pump after I got caught out the first time (luckily only 20km from home :o ). It's only a small hand held one that clips onto the bike, I tried to use it at home and it worked on one tyre but not the other (gave up and resorted to using the bigger pump)...is there another adapter or something that you need for some tyres? I'm not sure it would be much good if I was stuck now.

I'm going to add tubes and a puncture repair kit to my Amazon cart after reading through this thread :pac:

I havent had a flat tyre since...i think I'd actually have to google how to change a tyre if (when?!) I do get caught out!

Might be best to move this to its own new thread but sounds like you might have a schraeder and a presta valve on each wheel. Most mini pumps come apart at the head so if you switch around some of the pump head parts then it can be used on both types of valve. Loads of videos on you tube will explain this better then me and also good videos on how to fix a puncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Practice at home taking off the tyre and tube it could prove very handy as you tube make things look very easy but when you are out on the side of the road its often not as straightforward .I know it seems a hassle but well worth it I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Great to have the hills back within my grasp, 55km,, 24.4 kph average (not bad for an auld fella )Drimnagh, Tallaght, Rockbrook, Pine Forest, Stepaside, Dundrum, into the city, lap of the Pheonix Park, then home again.
    Extremely humid, which is never good when you're a sweaty so and so, but really enjoyable.

https://strava.app.link/M6c6J1kpA7

Did a very pleasant spin up stocking lane towards Sally Gap, with the intention of turning left at Glencree and home via Kiltiernan.

Took the rather foolish decision to ignore the signs at Glencree saying “Road Closed” and continued to ignore the next two as well. Surely that only applies to cars and bikes and pedestrians can still pass. After about 2k I ran into a guy stopping everything who told me that the entire road was being resurfaced and there was a bleeding great big machine laying tarmac and there was no way anything could get past.

I had to turn around and head back via Liam Horner and in to Enniskerry that way.

Word of advice though, they are finishing that road today and the road from the waterfall to Liam Horner is getting done next. I think he said it will be closed for two to three days.

Also, they are costing the road with stone chips, so it is going to be treacherous for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭bbuzz

Aegir wrote: »
    Also, they are costing the road with stone chips, so it is going to be treacherous for a good while.

Cycled down there at 7pm and the road was open, but it’s all loose chippings. Like you said would avoid for a couple of weeks. I’m not sure what’s better, the pot holed mess that was there before, or unsealed tarmac?

The road by crone wood is fairly bad already tbh.

85km today

Not very fast but I've only been doing this since the start of Lockdown

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

83km/h max! might have been a GPS glitch.

83km/h max! might have been a GPS glitch.

I get glitches quite a lot with Strava. No idea why though and it's always max speed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Gps drift turn on high accuracy gps if you haven't already. If you really want good data and directions etc, save up and buy a garmin/wahoo but it's not necessary

Tony04 wrote: »
    Gps drift turn on high accuracy gps if you haven't already. If you really want good data and directions etc, save up and buy a garmin/wahoo but it's not necessary

Where would I buy one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Online is your best bet wahoo element bolt is usually around 220 garmin edge 520 200ish edge 530 250ish. I wouldnt go for anything cheaper as the features arent as good. You can get bundles that include speed sensor cadence sensor and heart rate monitor for around 300. If your lucky someone on here might have one knocking around if you want to save a fair chunk but the battery mightnt be as good as buying new.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i got a garmin edge 25 in aldi reduced to 45 quid a couple of years ago. many people get by on them, mine does all i need and more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement