Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pjmn

Fabulous morning, out to Maam Cross, across to the coast road and back in from there - 100km @ 29 avg

https://www.strava.com/activities/2566861275

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/2566727419

Finished work last night early enough so got up early today and headed out for a spin on the good bike and complete my July gran fondo.
    100.2km @ 28km/h
    Got back home just in time to cycle to work!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

first time out in about ten days, just 46km but a lovely day for it. managed to get a KOM, albeit on a road not that well travelled on strava.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2566930445

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭micar

Two things: first time cycling through Dublin city during rush hour and, Christ, it was poor. Not the busses or cars mind. It was the other cyclists. People on obviously slower bkes moving in front of me at the lights. I struggle to pass the crowd only for them to repeat the process at the next lights.

My experience every evening. Really really annoying.

FSS ...Just wait behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Today I completed my first ''race''. Three laps of the Nürburgring at the Rad am Ring.

75km at 32kph with 1600m elevation; 300NP

Things I noticed:
    I haven't a notion
    I cannot descend to save my life (almost literally. Some sections of the track are wildly steep which led to sketchy moments)
    Taking a mediocre line through a corner can get you spit off the back of a group instantly
    Drafting is outrageous; at one point I was doing 50 - 100w and 40kph. But if you lose the wheel the group says bye-bye in the blink of an eye
    Although I felt like I could climb as well as most people, my **** descending and being clueless about how to properly work in a group meant I just got dropped repeatedly. Lots of mistakes made and lots of learning.

It was a really cool event, especially as all races took place simultaneously so the 24 MTB could be seen flying over jumps and the top competitors in other disciplines just went by like the smoothest, most efficient trains I could ever imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭dahat

118km @28.7 avg with near 1300m of elevation from a route by a local boardsie.

I can't link it on mobile but Killarney, Molls Gap, Kenmare head towards Sneem (I think) but then back road heaven with little or no traffic. 6am depart helped with the traffic.

I came close to binning it after passing Lough Caragh as the roads were slippy and when you are looking at scenery while approaching a hairpin it gets quite scary, locked & kicked the back wheel out. I kept the bike upright but only blessed no car was oncoming.

All in all a cracking day on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Went out with a group that is a bit faster and fitter than me today. The group splits into faster and slower (25/26k) after about 30k. Got dropped quite early while the faster guys were still there on a hill and told them not to wait. Slow group usually stops for a coffee so I was a bit above their normal average speed thinking I'd catch them at some café. After about 10/15k alone in absolutely miserable weather I was thinking that I should just have gone out drinking last night and stayed in bed. Still another 50k to get home alone and I was on a gravel part of the route when I see the slower group trying to catch me from behind. They had taken a wrong turn and I hadn't. Nice ride back despite the weather, beer at the end and satisfaction of staying with the group quite comfortably until the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

114km today with one of my mates, only at 24.4km/h avg, really suffered with the headwind after Glenmacnass and legs were getting tired at that stage. Nearly quit a few times after that but glad I didn't. Almost got taken out by sheep swamping the roads on both wicklow and sally gap descents, turns out the brakes on the new bike are pretty good!

Did 60km over the sally gap today.

2nd time coming down Cruagh today in a week, second time nearly getting cleaned out of it by an impatient motorist coming up stuck behind someone climbing. Avoiding in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

Nice spin around the Wicklow mountains at the weekend. The road surfacing works at Featherbeds & Glencree meant taking some roads I wouldn't regularly use and a few new roads on the western side. Beautiful day for it and loads of people out. 127k with 2,600m elevation at 27.5avg. Some part of the country for cycling when we have the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

N11 to Kilmac, up the long hill to Roundwood, over Sally Gap and down home through Rathfarnham.

In this direction, (at present) all of the chipped sections all are on the level or climbs, so it's not too bad.

73km in 3:03 with 967m ascent for an av of 24km/h - felt a bit slow as I'd done 50km yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Ballydehob, Schull, Durus, Sheeps Head, Bantry. Gorgeous scenery, lovely morning for a spin. Bantry bay from sheeps head is class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

162km in just under 11 hours with 3250m of climbing.

On an Mtb.

Off-road.

Tough going as we had all the sunshine ( 33C on the way to the event) from everywhere so it was a struggle to drink enough, especially as I had no bottle cage or hydration bladder type thing.

Been trying to hit that distance for the last four years, so really happy.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

saccades wrote: »
    162km in just under 11 hours with 3250m of climbing.

On an Mtb.

Off-road.
    Legs sore much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

Legs sore much?

A little, mainly the patellas as I used a high candence to keep the lactic acid down.

Clumsy mainly.

Dropping the youngest off this morning to her grandparents and while on route we came across the scene of some hay bales that had been spilled from a trailer onto the main carriageway through Drogheda. It was in the process of being cleared and Gardai and couple of tractors were in attendance but this was like birthday and Christmas at once for my little passenger, she is obsessed with tractors and only slightly less so emergency service vehicles . She cant really say the words yet so all I was getting from behind was trac ted (tractor ted is a kids show) and nee naw.

She was physically rattling with excitement :D

Fair play to the Garda who returned her wave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dahat wrote: »
    I've also noticed the the elevation correction feature reduces metres climbed when using the Wahoo. It makes no difference to me but to some it would
    is that the wahoo doing the correction or strava? i've often noticed that strava reports elevation gain about 10% higher than garmin, for data recorded on the garmin.
    in a way, i'd trust strava more if it's doing a correction, as elevation in GPS is so inaccurate; strava may be matching the ride to actual map data rather than raw GPS data. that said, if their map data is based on elevation from those same GPS devices, who can we trust?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

is that the wahoo doing the correction or strava? i've often noticed that strava reports elevation gain about 10% higher than garmin, for data recorded on the garmin.
    in a way, i'd trust strava more if it's doing a correction, as elevation in GPS is so inaccurate; strava may be matching the ride to actual map data rather than raw GPS data.

Doesn't the garmin us a barometric altimeter sensor for elevation?
    Should be fairly accurate most of the time but things like thunderstorms moving in can throw the reading way off.
    Does strava us google maps for altitude? That also has problems with inaccurate elevation mapped.

i've a cheapo garmin, updates the elevation every km or so, certainly not an instant calculation. definitely wouldn't be instantaneous update if it was barometric pressure, i guess.
    edit: just googled it, and it seems mine (the edge 25) uses GPS for elevation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I have an old garmin 500 with barometric sensor. During good weather the altitude is reasonably accurate but it's always out on rainy days I don't know if newer devices have better sensors or not.

• Advertisement

one thing i noticed on mine was that it seems fine on reasonable climbs, but on very small 'climbs' (maybe 5m gain) it sometimes didn't register them - which is where i was guessing strava might be correcting it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Early one from Ballyboden, Bohernabreena, Glassamucky, Featherbeds and back down via Cruagh road in absolutely perfect conditions. Between Deer, rabbits, sheep, cats and various birds it felt like an audition for a remake of Bambi. Absolutely glorious, hopefully get out again this evening after work.

486933.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭dahat

in a way, i'd trust strava more if it's doing a correction, as elevation in GPS is so inaccurate; strava may be matching the ride to actual map data rather than raw GPS data. that said, if their map data is based on elevation from those same GPS devices, who can we trust?

This would be the Strava correction, always increases the Garmin figure but opposite for the Wahoo.

another irritating thing about strava is that there's no adjusting for elevation on a segment after it's been created. so if there's a glitch in GPS in the data used to create the segment, it stays there; i've seen several segments which look bananas on strava, but there's no comparison with data of everyone else who's cycled that segment to sanity test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

another irritating thing about strava is that there's no adjusting for elevation on a segment after it's been created. so if there's a glitch in GPS in the data used to create the segment, it stays there; i've seen several segments which look bananas on strava, but there's no comparison with data of everyone else who's cycled that segment to sanity test it.

Its one of the many long standing flaws that they refuse to work on. Strava is really **** but moving away is like trying to get your mates to go back to MySpace from facebook.

ED E wrote: »
    Strava is really ****
    why so?
    i subscribe, happy to subscribe even if there are things i wish they'd fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Apparently they've as staff of 250 but do zero work on the product.

I cant remember all the years old flaws but just some:
    - Max speed is straight wrong
    - Bad data cannot be fixed
    - 200kph runs are not auto flagged
    - Runners have this auto pausing issue (dont run myself) thats been driving them nuts for years

There's speculation its under skeleton crewing awaiting a buyout. Everything is done for Summit but nothing for the core product.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Last time I cycled was 15 years and about 3 stone ago, but today I collected my new eBike and cycled it from town to Bray. About 30km including a couple of detours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Eoin wrote: »
    Last time I cycled was 15 years and about 3 stone ago, but today I collected my new eBike and cycled it from town to Bray. About 30km including a couple of detours.

Welcome back to cycling! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Eoin wrote: »
    Have you named the new bike yet?

"Hello Dave? You're my bike now!" :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement